• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

wetwired

My Bricklink order showed up today so I was finally able to finish the Batwing, I made a few tweaks to it as well.

uHPp0Yd.jpg

Bonus Pic of the Ikea LACK photobox I made as requested

Here's what an unedited pic looks like from inside.

Osahi

My review of current 10K IDEAS projects:
Iron Giant – Fantastic project. Would buy, but it’s demographic is small.
Ship in a Bottle – Highly original and very likely to be made if recent trends are any indication
VW Golf GTI Mark 1 – the model is great and it be awesome alongside the Beetle and Camper from the Creator series but there is already an existing license, which is a traditional reason to reject projects. Also I don' think it's as iconic as the other two.
UCS Rey’s Speeder – The model is great but no Star Wars IDEAS projects will ever been approved.
Red Dwarf LEGO -- questionable whether it has widespread appeal. Model is not particularly remarkable. Gut says no.
LEGO Modular Store -- the edifice is nice, but the concept would look out of place on Modular Road.
1950’s Diner – neat little project. The interior is fantastic. I wish it gets made, but I don’t think it has wide appeal.
Boat Repair Shop – would look fantastic next to the Old Fishing Store. I can’t see why they wouldn’t make this, especially if the Old Fishing Store sells well.
Vintage Tram – it’s a nice model. Personally I wouldn’t buy it and not sure whether it has widespread appeal.
Landrover 4x4 – Pretty hard to justify considering IDEAS rejected a superior Land cruiser model last year.
Hulkbuster UCS – I can’t see this being made. Disney, etc.
Marvel Agents of Shield – See above.

It's a pretty great selection (especially compared to the previous round). My absolute favourite is the tram, as I have a passion for Portugal and Portuguese culture and this tram would be the perfect adition to our living room collection of Portuguese souvenirs and photo's. I would be really disapointed if it doesn't make it, but I know chances might be low.

I also love The Iron Giant, The 50ies Diner and the Boar Repair Shop (I would argue that as the Fishing Store was approved, this might not make it as 'to close'. But then again, they approved another women in science-set too)

Also makes me realize we still have to get a look on the Apollo 11-set! How long has it een since approval?

_Rob_

I'm more interested in the Ideas sets than most things in Lego's current lineup. If only they had the time/inclination to do more than one at a time! I'm crossing everything that the Ventian Houses project from a few weeks back ends up in production:
2406623-o_1aforufg16v01riq1p3r74v141e-full.png

I do also miss the "historical" themes that used to be the norm, Castle, Pirates, Adventurers etc. I wonder if Nexo Knights and Ninjago are the fixed replacement trend or if eventually things will diversify again.

Osahi

I'm more interested in the Ideas sets than most things in Lego's current lineup. If only they had the time/inclination to do more than one at a time! I'm crossing everything that the Ventian Houses project from a few weeks back ends up in production:
2406623-o_1aforufg16v01riq1p3r74v141e-full.png

I do also miss the "historical" themes that used to be the norm, Castle, Pirates, Adventurers etc. I wonder if Nexo Knights and Ninjago are the fixed replacement trend or if eventually things will diversify again.

Didn't know this one finally reached 10K. I remember loving this when I first saw it. Would be cool if it makes the cut.

Those historical themes: I don't see them actually coming back. I think Nexo Knights and Ninjago type themes are what we can expect for the future, as Lego tries to tie there themes in with an animation series.

_Rob_

Didn't know this one finally reached 10K. I remember loving this when I first saw it. Would be cool if it makes the cut.

Those historical themes: I don't see them actually coming back. I think Nexo Knights and Ninjago type themes are what we can expect for the future, as Lego tries to tie there themes in with an animation series.

I have the same feeling unfortunately, it's probably selfish anyway, kids seem to love the current stuff! I guess I'll stick to Bricklinking parts for MOC's and the odd Ideas set!

Osahi

I have the same feeling unfortunately, it's probably selfish anyway, kids seem to love the current stuff! I guess I'll stick to Bricklinking parts for MOC's and the odd Ideas set!

Well, personaly I leave those themes to the kids. I don't think I would buy a Castle or Pirate set nowadays, as I tend to go to Star Wars, Creator Expert and the odd movie license. (Might buy a Pirate ship though)

Looks like the R2 poly bag is this years' May 4th offering. 29th April - 7th May
562D6766-DB0D-4FC3-9810-FE5F5071C984_zpsewi9vg87.png

Cool, might grab the Tie UCS if there is some VIP promo too. Or will the new SW wave be released by then? I'm eyeing the Quad Jumper

_Rob_

Well, personaly I leave those themes to the kids. I don't think I would buy a Castle or Pirate set nowadays, as I tend to go to Star Wars, Creator Expert and the odd movie license. (Might buy a Pirate ship though)

Fair enough, I suppose my tastes are pretty niche. Much like yourself I'd be interested in bigger sets like Pirate ships or something similar to the Medieval Market Village. My options would be much bigger had I gotten into Star Wars when I was younger I'm sure!

willp2003

Cool, might grab the Tie UCS if there is some VIP promo too. Or will the new SW wave be released by then? I'm eyeing the Quad Jumper

I think the US normally gets double (or maybe triple) VIP points, but the UK normally gets a discount on UCS sets. Looking back at my orders, I got 15% off the slave 1 last year.
Don't think the other wave will be out that soon, seeing as we've only just had the last wave.

Osahi

I think the US normally gets double (or maybe triple) VIP points, but the UK normally gets a discount on UCS sets. Looking back at my orders, I got 15% off the slave 1 last year.
Don't think the other wave will be out that soon, seeing as we've only just had the last wave.
We've got triple VIP on Force Friday last year in europe if I'm not mistaken (I netted close to 600 points on Slave 1 then), so you never know. UCS discount would be great too, if it is a good discount.

Talking about double VIP. I skipped it this time. I wanted to order the Ferarri F40, but I discovered my local toy shop has it for 75 euro's at the moment, so I placed an order there. It's a bigger discount than what 178 points are worth.

Got

Banned
Put this together as a nice little wall display. Always loved the Stormtroopers. Threw in a couple little extras and easter eggs. It's an old typeset drawer turned on it's side. I would love to do an entire wall in a room in this style someday.

IMG_9214.jpg

Put this together as a nice little wall display. Always loved the Stormtroopers. Threw in a couple little extras and easter eggs. It's an old typeset drawer turned on it's side. I would love to do an entire wall in a room in this style someday.

IMG_9214.jpg

That's neat. :)
Did you glue plates on to then place the figs on?

Got

Banned
That's neat. :)
Did you glue plates on to then place the figs on?

Yeah. The spaces were almost perfect for a straight 2 x 4 plate but because it's old wood, not every space was perfectly even. So I opted for the wedge piece that came with the Imperial Troop Transport and that worked perfectly. Also helped that those troops are the main ones in there. Not the OG Stormtroopers I love (there is one in there though) but good enough as is.

willp2003

When I saw a picture of this a few weeks ago it looked fake, but another has surfaced...
Thor Ragnorok hulk fig (in spoiler just in case):
QEcKDT5

Osahi

IMG_9214.jpg

Love the Beatles you snuck in.

wetwired

How sturdy are the wings? Is there a support structure underneath?

Batmobile is GOAT, obvs.

Yeah. I'll have to take an underneath pic when I get home. But basically there some 1x4 bricks with studs on the side facing down on the wings. The some plates and tiles connecting them. In the middle part there's some 1x2 with axial holes with a long axial connecting the wings to the body and then through to the other side

mrkgoo

My Bricklink order showed up today so I was finally able to finish the Batwing, I made a few tweaks to it as well.

Bonus Pic of the Ikea LACK photobox I made as requested

Here's what an unedited pic looks like from inside.

What in the world...that's AMAZING

Yeah. I'll have to take an underneath pic when I get home. But basically there some 1x4 bricks with studs on the side facing down on the wings. The some plates and tiles connecting them. In the middle part there's some 1x2 with axial holes with a long axial connecting the wings to the body and then through to the other side

Are you planing to put either up on IDEAS? I don't think WB is as fastidious as Disney on licenses, etc.

Also makes me realize we still have to get a look on the Apollo 11-set! How long has it een since approval?
I would have preferred the landing module tbh which reached the review stage back in the CuuSoo days but was never approved.

Edit: I just realised this model includes the landing module. I'm officially excited!

What do you guys think of this?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lego-compatible-adhesive-tape-nimuno-loops#/

I guess it would be handy for building on walls and stuff.

I question the clutch quality and durability of it. When flexing, I imagine it would create havok with tolerances. Soft studs like that isn't new (I've never tried 3rd party silicon plates), just the idea of making it a strip with adhesive is.

I'll pass on it until I see some amazing stuff AFOLs can do with it.

Looks like the R2 poly bag is this years' May 4th offering. 29th April - 7th May
562D6766-DB0D-4FC3-9810-FE5F5071C984_zpsewi9vg87.png

I can't believe it took so long for LEGO to make something that scale. That looks great and I will jump on it if that is the promo. LEGO can pump out all the astromech variations at that scale for years to come.

IMG_9214.jpg

Why is that one stormtrooper in black?

When I saw a picture of this a few weeks ago it looked fake, but another has surfaced...
Thor Ragnorok hulk fig (in spoiler just in case):
QEcKDT5

Yeah, it was posted here a few weeks ago too and it was brushed off as a bootleg. Thing is, there is no such bootleg that I've seen of that at the bootlegs-r-us website that shall not be named. So yeah, I'm thinking there's a chance that is by LEGO.

Blue and interchangeable?

Hah. We only build in black. Or sometimes very dark grey.

On a serious note, you some close up shots in of the Batwing if you are going to put it up on IDEAS to appreciate its detail.

You should superimpose it over a moon, like the shot in the film. But a close-up.

6003069471_97bf80799d.jpg

wetwired

Wetwired: That is a lightbox i can make myself right now! One thing though, which cloth/paper did you use there?

I have no idea to be honest, it was super cheap ($3 a metre) and labeled as "great for a toga party" which is just their way of saying "we have a shitload of white cloth to get rid of and don't know how else to label it"

My review of current 10K IDEAS projects:
Iron Giant – Fantastic project. Would buy, but it’s demographic is small.
Ship in a Bottle – Highly original and very likely to be made if recent trends are any indication
VW Golf GTI Mark 1 – the model is great and it be awesome alongside the Beetle and Camper from the Creator series but there is already an existing license, which is a traditional reason to reject projects. Also I don' think it's as iconic as the other two.
UCS Rey’s Speeder – The model is great but no Star Wars IDEAS projects will ever been approved.
Red Dwarf LEGO -- questionable whether it has widespread appeal. Model is not particularly remarkable. Gut says no.
LEGO Modular Store -- the edifice is nice, but the concept would look out of place on Modular Road.
1950’s Diner – neat little project. The interior is fantastic. I wish it gets made, but I don’t think it has wide appeal.
Boat Repair Shop – would look fantastic next to the Old Fishing Store. I can’t see why they wouldn’t make this, especially if the Old Fishing Store sells well.
Vintage Tram – it’s a nice model. Personally I wouldn’t buy it and not sure whether it has widespread appeal.
Landrover 4x4 – Pretty hard to justify considering IDEAS rejected a superior Land cruiser model last year.
Hulkbuster UCS – I can’t see this being made. Disney, etc.
Marvel Agents of Shield – See above.

I agree with most of your comments.

I would love the Iron Giant, but yeah, it does not have a broad appeal... While I am not really interested in Ship in a Bottle, it will probably be the set selected. A very distinctive build. Hope for 1950’s Diner too.

But I don´t think they will select the Boat Repair Shop. They already selected the the Old Fishing House, yes, but I don´t think they would release more sets within the same theme, they never did it with Ideas, and the rule of not releasing two sets within the same license would kind of apply here. Plus the same guy has more similar sets on Ideas, and the Boat Repair is not the best of them in my opinion. It would be cheaper to just contract that guy as an official designer. I would love his Lighthouse or Dive Shop (I would buy multiple Fishing Houses for pieces if he releases the instructions for the other sets).

I think JANG has finally went off the deep end.

I kinda want one now, the hands and plush Batman

Same here, i have seen another one of these and it didn't look as good as Batman does in this video hmmm... I really want one as well now. It ummm will be for my 3 year old. Hopefully the cape won't come off too easily though.

Also: are these Lego store exclusive? Can't really find em anywhere hmm

DonShula

Took my kids to the Legoland Discovery Center in Chicago today. It was... fine. They had fun and the Chicago-themed exhibit was fascinating. I don't feel the particular need to return ever again, but it was enjoyable enough.

The gift shop had the OG Milano which I eyed for a bit. If they'd had the Parisian Restaurant, I might have gotten into a showdown with my wife. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to see that set in stores again.

Ordered Lego worlds which is coming tomorrow.

It would be really cool if in the future you could unlock in game instructions for sets you buy in real life

Ponn

Banned
Same here, i have seen another one of these and it didn't look as good as Batman does in this video hmmm... I really want one as well now. It ummm will be for my 3 year old. Hopefully the cape won't come off too easily though.

Also: are these Lego store exclusive? Can't really find em anywhere hmm

I can't find the plush anywhere but Lego S@H. I might be adding it to my Silent Mary order tonight with the Batgirl Brickheadz I need.

Took my kids to the Legoland Discovery Center in Chicago today. It was... fine. They had fun and the Chicago-themed exhibit was fascinating. I don't feel the particular need to return ever again, but it was enjoyable enough.

The gift shop had the OG Milano which I eyed for a bit. If they'd had the Parisian Restaurant, I might have gotten into a showdown with my wife. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to see that set in stores again.

OG Milano? It's retired so no you would only find that randomly in a Lego store like you did or they do pop up on AWD once in a while for a decent price. If you mean Parisian Restaurant I think you are safe on that for awhile. Palace Cinema should be retiring before that unless they retire two at once than Parisian Restaurant would be next.

Ordered Lego worlds which is coming tomorrow.

It would be really cool if in the future you could unlock in game instructions for sets you buy in real life

That would be kinda neat but they wouldn't be able to do it with licensed sets unless they worked out Dimensions type deals. I'm so deep into Dimensions and thats becoming tedious for me plus i'm not really a fan of minecraft type games so Worlds just never did anything for me. They should keep trying to tie physical building experiences to their games though whenever possible. I'm not sure why they aren't combining some of these individual games they did all into one idea like that minifigure game where you could put in the CMF number and get that fig playable in game, is something like that in Worlds? Because it should be.

Top Bottom