• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
I've never owned a Sony portable before, so I want to download a couple of PSP games. I made a list of games I'm interested in -- could you guys help me narrow it down to maybe 1 or 2 I should start with?

Corpse Party (would I enjoy this if I like text adventures like 999 and Phoenix Wright?)
Crush
Half-Minute Hero
Patapon 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (does this play at all like Fire Emblem?)
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins (is this as difficult as the earlier games?)
The 3rd Birthday

Thanks guys!

Edit - Is the DLC pack for Super Stardust Delta worth buying, or should I just get the regular game for 10 bucks?

3rd Birthday is great and plays well with the addition of right stick :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm going to argue again on the complaints with manuals. They are such a joy to read and so fast/responsive that I actually want to read them as opposed to never really looking at them. It's nice have the package with it along but from a conveneince and usability standpoint, the touch reading is as good if not better than a Kindle Fire for me.

The only draw back are the PSP manuals are scaled but still look more than good on the Vita screen. These shots are not as good as what you see on the system itself.

2012-02-29-2012454pbpf.jpg

And a cool thing to do too is to sort of zoom out and do a smooth sifting of the pages. At this size, they are basically native PSP res and do look sharp/readable (albeit small, of course).

2012-02-29-2013298ixs5.jpg

For comparison, here's a Vita manual at native res. Also note that you can do dailies in HSG via 3G. I didn't know that until just reading the manual at the time I captured this. That's nice.

2012-02-29-201642ogxs4.jpg

2012-02-29-201729ofztg.jpg

And the latest iteration of my HSG lobby character horribly captured as I didn't notice me being locked out until just now >>

hsgphotov1z0m.jpg

Deepo

GAF, please help me decide!

I live in europe and have a EU PSN account I've been using for years. I also have a US PSN account that I usually use to buy some stuff due to european delays.

As you know, this arrangement no longer works well with the Vita. So I'm contemplating switching to my US account permanently, for trophies as well.

I've come up with some arguments for and against on both accounts:

US account:
+ Much cheaper games (Trails in the Skies for 19.99$ vs 54$ in EU store)
+ The PSN store seems better organized
+ 60hz PS1 and PS2 games
+ Some games only available on US PSN
+ Bigger chance of getting obscure japanese games due to not having to localize for a bunch of languages that I don't speak.
- Some games have region locked multiplayer
- Might suddenly become difficult to obtain PSN cards via email
- I have 3 trophies on this account

EU account:
+ I have 1000 trophies, including 9 platinum
+ A few games only available on EU PSN
+ Currently seems like EU is getting more Vita content at the moment(?)
- Delays due to localization, licensing issues, prices

I realize this will seem like a stupid question after writing that list. But I really enjoy my trophies! So I would be really thankful if any of you could chime in and help me decide :)

Got my Hori case today and so far a really nice case. It slim, yet solid and has room for 2 games. It opens vertically instead of horizontally like most and it has a flap that covers the screen. So far it doesn't seem like anything will scratch the system and it holds it very snug.

Eusis

The frustrating thing is that the PSP manuals looked kind of crappy on the PSP as well, as if they were downsized or something. Now they look blown up and blurry, it's like you can't win.

LiquidMetal14

The frustrating thing is that the PSP manuals looked kind of crappy on the PSP as well, as if they were downsized or something. Now they look blown up and blurry, it's like you can't win.

Not so bad on the screen itself but at least the option is there to do that portrait view of sorts. That makes things look a lot sharper. A small nitpick as they are 10x easier to go through than on the PSP. I love me the digital manuals.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Yes it is. I just came back to it recently on the PSP the last few weeks before the Vitas launch. Wish Capcom would hurry up and put it on the UK PSN store, I'm keen to double dip since I can't convert my UMD license.

How fast are the vita memory cards?

Because posters on gamefaqs and Sonys boards are claiming they are only 4-6mb/s

Here is a post from the Sony boards by Wikiality

"When the prices and proprietary nature of the vita memory cards were announced, people comforted themselves thinking that they must have super high read speeds to allow to minimize load times. After all Sony just released a proprietary card for cameras with a 60mb/s read speed.

Instead tests show that the vita memory cards have the read speed of a measily 4mb/s!!! Why?

Sonys game carts have a higher but still low read speed of 6 mb/s. This is why Wipeout has such atrociously load times and this is why it's loadtimes are even longer for the digital version of the game rather than the cart.

That was a stupid move by Sony. Loadtimes are the death of portable gaming, they hurt the psp and will hurt the Vita.

For such a high price, their memory cards should atleast be 20 MBs/s. This would encourage sales of digital games which is good for Sony. Digital games have much higher profit margins than retail games. This is also why they should sell the cards for cheaper. Many gamers including I considered buying a 32gb card and going all digital since it's more convenient but were discouraged from doing so due to the high prices of the cards. People that were considering big cards were doing so because they wanted to make lots of digital purchases.

Fortunately Sony can still fix this. Release higher speed cards ASAP and lower the price Sony."

GAF, please help me decide!

I live in europe and have a EU PSN account I've been using for years. I also have a US PSN account that I usually use to buy some stuff due to european delays.

As you know, this arrangement no longer works well with the Vita. So I'm contemplating switching to my US account permanently, for trophies as well.

I've come up with some arguments for and against on both accounts:

US account:
+ Much cheaper games (Trails in the Skies for 19.99$ vs 54$ in EU store)
+ The PSN store seems better organized
+ 60hz PS1 and PS2 games
+ Some games only available on US PSN
+ Bigger chance of getting obscure japanese games due to not having to localize for a bunch of languages that I don't speak.
- Some games have region locked multiplayer
- Might suddenly become difficult to obtain PSN cards via email
- I have 3 trophies on this account

EU account:
+ I have 1000 trophies, including 9 platinum
+ A few games only available on EU PSN
+ Currently seems like EU is getting more Vita content at the moment(?)
- Delays due to localization, licensing issues, prices

I realize this will seem like a stupid question after writing that list. But I really enjoy my trophies! So I would be really thankful if any of you could chime in and help me decide :)

I’d just stick with EU one personally.

LiquidMetal14

That was posted at least twice Stephen. It would be nice but in terms of the actual load times and usage, the cards are pretty good for me. It's the transfer speeds which are a tad slow.

Koyuga

So... I think I'm gonna buy one.

However, how much fun do you think I'll be able to have with it without any games? I think I'm just gonna get a memory card with it, probably 8gb.

I was gonna buy it at launch, saved up money and everything, was gonna get an 8gb card, Uncharted and maybe another game, but something came up and I had to use that sweet vita money for other things. So I want to buy it this month instead, but if I do I won't be able to get any games until next month. Worth it? At the very least, I got LittleBigPlanet PSP and Killzone liberation from the welcome back program, and I have yet to touch those, so..

Guess what I'm trying to ask, is how much entertainment can I get from it out of the box? Kinda did the same thing with 3DS, but I could at least play DS game cards on it, and it had those built in things like AR games and Find Mii. Does Vita have anything like that? Or willl demos be enough, you think?

Takao

Banned
How fast are the vita memory cards?

Because posters on gamefaqs and Sonys boards are claiming they are only 4-6mb/s

Here is a post from the Sony boards by Wikiality

"When the prices and proprietary nature of the vita memory cards were announced, people comforted themselves thinking that they must have super high read speeds to allow to minimize load times. After all Sony just released a proprietary card for cameras with a 60mb/s read speed.

Instead tests show that the vita memory cards have the read speed of a measily 4mb/s!!! Why?

Sonys game carts have a higher but still low read speed of 6 mb/s. This is why Wipeout has such atrociously load times and this is why it's loadtimes are even longer for the digital version of the game rather than the cart.

That was a stupid move by Sony. Loadtimes are the death of portable gaming, they hurt the psp and will hurt the Vita.

For such a high price, their memory cards should atleast be 20 MBs/s. This would encourage sales of digital games which is good for Sony. Digital games have much higher profit margins than retail games. This is also why they should sell the cards for cheaper. Many gamers including I considered buying a 32gb card and going all digital since it's more convenient but were discouraged from doing so due to the high prices of the cards. People that were considering big cards were doing so because they wanted to make lots of digital purchases.

Fortunately Sony can still fix this. Release higher speed cards ASAP and lower the price Sony."

I swear you posted this exact same thing a few days ago...

SRTtoZ

However, how much fun do you think I'll be able to have with it without any games? I think I'm just gonna get a memory card with it, probably 8gb.

I was gonna buy it at launch, saved up money and everything, was gonna get an 8gb card, Uncharted and maybe another game, but something came up and I had to use that sweet vita money for other things. So I want to buy it this month instead, but if I do I won't be able to get any games until next month. Worth it? At the very least, I got LittleBigPlanet PSP and Killzone liberation from the welcome back program, and I have yet to touch those, so..

Guess what I'm trying to ask, is how much entertainment can I get from it out of the box? Kinda did the same thing with 3DS, but I could at least play DS game cards on it, and it had those built in things like AR games and Find Mii. Does Vita have anything like that? Or willl demos be enough, you think?

If I were you id wait until you have enough for a game as well, or maybe trade a few things in to get a game.

LiquidMetal14

There is a good deal of demos in every region and apps, 3 AR FREE games, cheap PSN stuff like Stardust, Mutant Blobs Attack ($8 and highly recommended), and the free Vita games which are cross platform like Hustle Kings and Motorstorm RC. You may actually have a game that you don't know yet if you bought them 2 on PS3 already. Then there's the OS features themselves like Welcome Park (with trophies!) and near among others.

Go with the cheaper and better performing games. Go with the US store.

The US store will take the lead in terms of content soon enough. It's too big a market to play second fiddle.

Cookie18

It isn't ideal. The 3DS built in stuff is far superior to the Vita stuff. If you feel as though you will get a lot of playtime out of your PSP games and don't mind demos it would be fine. There are demos for almost every game available. You could also get a really cheap Vita game like Hustle Kings to tide you over.

I've never owned a Sony portable before, so I want to download a couple of PSP games. I made a list of games I'm interested in -- could you guys help me narrow it down to maybe 1 or 2 I should start with?

Corpse Party (would I enjoy this if I like text adventures like 999 and Phoenix Wright?)
Crush
Half-Minute Hero
Patapon 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (does this play at all like Fire Emblem?)
The 3rd Birthday

Thanks guys!

Edit - Is the DLC pack for Super Stardust Delta worth buying, or should I just get the regular game for 10 bucks?

Half-Minute Hero would be my first suggestion - perfect portable game. Quite a bit of content in there for the price too.

Takao

Banned
It isn't ideal. The 3DS built in stuff is far superior to the Vita stuff. If you feel as though you will get a lot of playtime out of your PSP games and don't mind demos it would be fine. There are demos for almost every game available. You could also get a really cheap Vita game like Hustle Kings to tide you over.

FWIW I played Welcome Park longer than I played any of the 3DS stuff.

But that may have been for trophies.

LiquidMetal14

I hate to admit it but I really like Vita's Twitter app.

That and facebook (when it worked :O) were serviceable. I would rather use them in the browser but the apps are functional. I just tried foursquare yesterday for the first time, that is a neat app.

Nitsuj23

I haven't played either of the PSP God of War games (any God of War game, actually)... just wondering how they feel on the Vita? I've heard nothing but good things about the series, think these are a good place to jump in?

patsu

That and facebook (when it worked :O) were serviceable. I would rather use them in the browser but the apps are functional. I just tried foursquare yesterday for the first time, that is a neat app.

Does the FaceBook app support Timeline ? It's a little too simplistic, not that different from the web version. In fact, the web version is superior in some sense because I can pinch zoom.

Flickr is neat too, but I heard you can't upload multiple files at the same time.

That Twitter app is the best of the bunch so far.

Will try FourSquare later tonight.

I'd say that they all look very good.

Thanks for the answers guys, I think I'll go for it. I'm sure whats available can tide me over.
Just keep in mind, even with all the demos you can get for free, you're going to feel a burning inside of you for an actual game. But I have to say, there's a ton of fun to be had with those demos. Even if you're not into soccer, the Fifa demo is a lot of fun and they let you pay a whole game. (Though Im sure normal games in the final version are longer.) And you can sample Rayman Origins, Uncharted, Wipeout, Unit 13, Lumines, Dynasty warriors, Katamari, Asphalt Injection, and Modnation. And you can try to get all the trophies in Welcome park, which has a bunch of mini games. And there are 3 free AR games you can get off of PSN.

And if you can spare 10 bucks, you can get Super Stardust Delta, which is one of the best launch games. Or, for even less there's Mutant Blobs which is like 6 bucks and that's another full game.

So yes, there's a bunch of stuff you can do for free, or close to free. But again, after awhile, you're going to have the itch to get an actual full release.

Cookie18

FWIW I played Welcome Park longer than I played any of the 3DS stuff.

But that may have been for trophies.

Welcome Park was good but it only took me around an hour to get all the trophies so I didn't think it'd be the kind of thing that would last long for anyone else either.

GQman2121

Banned
What psp games do y'all recommend to get?

Whatever you buy, please do not spend over $15 on anything more than two years old. Don't give them the satisfaction of robbing us with their bogus digital prices.

As for recommendations:

The Warriors, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Motorstorm/Twisted Metal/Patapon/Loco Roco Bundles are pretty good options. That's six games there for $55 and each one offers something different.

Razorskin

----- ------
They need to sell Dragon Ball Z by seasons, buying them one by one for 99 cents each when there are 9 seasons worth of episodes on the store isn't practical.

SRTtoZ

I haven't played either of the PSP God of War games (any God of War game, actually)... just wondering how they feel on the Vita? I've heard nothing but good things about the series, think these are a good place to jump in?

Both of them look and play great. They are top of the line PSP Graphics and when you turn on the bi-linear filtering it looks even better.

SRTtoZ

PSP Games ill recommend are: Monster hunter, both GoW games, FF4 collection, Metal Gear Solid peace walker, Gran Turismo PSP if you want a racing sim. Id recommend Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts but they arent digital (DAMN YOU SONNY/SQUARE!!!!!!!)

haikira

On the topic of good PSP games for the vita. Here's a bunch I've personally tried myself on the vita and can vouch for.

LocoRoco 2 is insanely good fun and really pops on the vita screen. I've always enjoyed MotorStorm Arctic Edge and have been having a blast playing it again in the vita, yet again it just looks so much better on the OLED screen. Also, as others have been saying. Half Minute Hero is a must buy and also one of the cheaper games in my pile, at least going by the prices on the UK store.

A word of warning about one game. I've been trying God of War: Chains of Olympus on the vita and I've noticed a problem with it. The actual game itself seems to run perfectly, but the FMV cutscenes have some problems. Nothing too major, but they seem to stutter every couple of seconds.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning I'm not really an RPG person. At least not JRPGs. So take that into consideration. Also I forgot to mention Peace Walker, one of my all time favourites on the PSP.

GQman2121

Banned
PSP Games ill recommend are: Monster hunter, both GoW games, FF4 collection, Metal Gear Solid peace walker, Gran Turismo PSP if you want a racing sim. Id recommend Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts but they arent digital (DAMN YOU SONNY/SQUARE!!!!!!!)

No, no, no. This is what I'm talking about.

Those three games are way fucking over priced. And when you consider how cheap the HD collections on the PS3 go for it's insulting.

LiquidMetal14

Does the FaceBook app support Timeline ? It's a little too simplistic, not that different from the web version. In fact, the web version is superior in some sense because I can pinch zoom.

Flickr is neat too, but I heard you can't upload multiple files at the same time.

That Twitter app is the best of the bunch so far.

Will try FourSquare later tonight.

I'd say that they all look very good.

Not sure if FB supports timeline but you are right, you can at least pinch zoom in the browser. Wish I had more precise impressions but I didn't spent much time with before it crapped out and took it down from PSN (in the US).

Dicer

Banned
Whatever you buy, please do not spend over $15 on anything more than two years old. Don't give them the satisfaction of robbing us with their bogus digital prices.

As for recommendations:

The Warriors, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Motorstorm/Twisted Metal/Patapon/Loco Roco Bundles are pretty good options. That's six games there for $55 and each one offers something different.

That's a pretty solid lineup, and no I wont be spending over $15 on any psp download, I can assure you that :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So tempted on Unite and sf:a3 max.....

Where the hell are all the SE games??? Quite a lot missing and I can imagine it's only free money for SE as it is all digital anyways.

Also not sure why psp selection is > same selection on vita...

So tempted on Unite and sf:a3 max.....

Where the hell are all the SE games??? Quite a lot missing and I can imagine it's only free money for SE as it is all digital anyways.

Also not sure why psp selection is > same selection on vita...

Go for it. Mapping the d-pad to the right stick makes the game so much more enjoyable, and htis is coming from someone that has put almost 1000k hours into MHF2 and MHFU.

Cloudy

Banned
I see a lot of deals to be had on 4gig cards on Ebay. Snagged one with FIFA for PSP games. I'll be selling FIFA cos MLB is enough sports for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom