• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somewhat murderous scumbag PMC Blackwater gets an FPS (360-Zombie Studios)

I don't know what's more depressing about this news; that it's actually being made, or that people are going to profit from it.

Orayn

JasonUresti said:
It doesn't seem to be apologists, it seems people are taking issue with the obvious hypocrisy and absurd absolutes being thrown around.
Yeah, this. Blackwater is a scummy company and I do not like them or their game, but calling them all murderers is unreasonable.

bishoptl said:
Blackwater apologists? Oh GAF, after all this time you never cease to amaze

We all know about the incident in question involving a handful of Blackwater employees.

Since you've got a chip on your shoulder about this, how about you explain how this characterization of the entire organization and everyone in it is accurate. Do you even know what PMC's do 99.9% of the time?

Or I guess it's just a coincidence that no one offers up reasons why this bullshit is accurate.

How exactly is Blackwater somehow full of murdering lunatics like gaf claims? Where are the links proving this? Have they been charged?

AlimNassor said:
How exactly is Blackwater somehow full of murdering lunatics like gaf claims? Where are the links proving this? Have they been charged?

It isn't. This is the usual sensationalist pitchfork bullshit where everyone silently agrees to be intellectually dishonest. Get enough people to go along and you don't feel threatened enough to actually face the truth.

jay

Call me crazy, but I dislike evangelical mercenary groups even if they haven't committed heinous crimes.

domlolz

Banned
Calcaneus said:
MGS4 was right.

mgs4 was a missed opportunity to take a (semi-serious) look at pmcs in today's conflicts, or at least provide some heavy handed commentary but lol politics in gamez

all that talk of pmc stuff in the run-up and it was essentially nothing!

bengraven

Speaking of shifty, douchebag mercs, how about the ones I'd ACTUALLY like to spend time with?

Where's Mercenaries 3?

Khrno

Oh a title change. GAF never change.

sparkling-usa-flag.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LaserBuddha said:
We all know about the incident in question involving a handful of Blackwater employees.

Since you've got a chip on your shoulder about this, how about you explain how this characterization of the entire organization and everyone in it is accurate. Do you even know what PMC's do 99.9% of the time?
3 months of research on PMCs for a (now defunct) title in development two years ago. Calling Blackwater slimy is an insult to slime worldwide, and your attempt to minimize Blackwater's direct involvement in millions of dollars in government bribes, civilian murders, lying to investigative official re: so-called insurgent attacks, child prostitution, you name it - would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

Still, I'm sure that the only reason why this IP is being used is due to the much higher percentage of employees who aren't involved in the action, right? Administrative duties, paper pushing - riveting stuff for a videogame. Can't wait to see gameplay trailers.

LaserBuddha said:
Or I guess it's just a coincidence that no one offers up reasons why this bullshit is accurate.
The rot started at the top, and he's at it again - this time in the UAE. This after stating that he wanted to retire and become a teacher. I guess technically he's not lying.

Your turn.

MrMephistoX

Glorious Mission (Chinese military shooter vs whitey) is like Nintendogs by comparison on my outage O meter. Fuck those right wing murdering rapist pigs at Blackwater.

Qwomo

When I was a kid I totally wanted to join Blackwater, long before the whole controversy thing and they changed their name. It sounded like a sweet gig.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Definitely the most dubious game since NRA Gun Club.

It isn't surprising though I guess—Zombie's done military contract work to basically keep themselves afloat.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
bishoptl said:
Still, I'm sure that the only reason why this IP is being used is due to the much higher percentage of employees who aren't involved in the action, right? Administrative duties, paper pushing - riveting stuff for a videogame. Can't wait to see gameplay trailers.

Hey, they made waitressing into a game with Diner Dash. Who knows what fun we could have exploring the world of secretaries, TPS report writing, and overweight middle managers?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
UN peacekeepers were busted for child prostitution in Africa and Haiti.

edit: Liberia, I had to look it up. Fuzzy on the details.

bishoptl said:
3 months of research on PMCs for a (now defunct) title in development two years ago. Calling Blackwater slimy is an insult to slime worldwide, and your attempt to minimize Blackwater's direct involvement in millions of dollars in government bribes, civilian murders, lying to investigative official re: so-called insurgent attacks, child prostitution, you name it - would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

The rot started at the top, and he's at it again - this time in the UAE. This after stating that he wanted to retire and become a teacher. I guess technically he's not lying.

Your turn.

Prince (and however many other of his lackeys) seems slimy as hell. It does not change the fact that 99% of the time, Blackwater has simply provided armed protection to civilians overseas (a lot of people here probably think they're mercenaries over there). Like I said, this characterization of the entire organization is no more valid than saying the same about the military or the government itself. I wouldn't use all of those things you listed as evidence unless they were proven true, btw. I'll be first in line to condemn them of anything with sufficient evidence. I don't play the whole "They're scum so proof doesn't matter" game.

As far as the UAE thing - Disgusting but Erik Prince is no longer head of Xe.

So you still haven't justified the false characterization of the entire organization that I'm objecting to. In fact, you seem to imply that the only ones who aren't corrupt murderers are the pencil pushers, so you're perpetuating the stupidity. Your turn.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I'm done. I'm here objecting to ridiculous exaggerations, not as a fan/defender of Blackwater, but you seem to want to act as if I am.

Margalis said:
Blackwater has not just been involved in "one incident."
I know. People here are using the one incident they know about to call Blackwater a bunch of paid murderers. Something which is absolutely false.

Margalis

Banned
Blackwater has not just been involved in "one incident." There have been all sorts of lawsuits against them, and there would be a lot more if Bush had not essentially gotten them off the hook by constructing legal protections for them and making it virtually impossible to hold them accountable for wrong doing in Iraq.

Blackwater has been accused of vastly overcharging the US government, smuggling weapons to terrorist organizations, multiple incidents involving killing civilians, killing people willing to inform against Blackwater, using US funds to pay for hookers, providing false statements to investigators, impeding hearings, etc. Blackwater has paid over $40 million in fines to the US government and probably millions more in various lawsuit settlements.

That doesn't mean every single person working for them is a slimeball murderer but the organization as a whole is not something to be celebrated.

Windam

Scaley member
Didn't know what Blackwater was before. Googled it, and what the hell? These guys are getting their own game? What the fuck? Granted I'm sure it's not everyone in the company who is like that, but still. Wow.

IrishNinja

bishoptl said:
UN peacekeepers were busted for child prostitution in Africa and Haiti.

edit: Liberia, I had to look it up. Fuzzy on the details.

fuck me, this is the most depressing thread in gaming. fucking awful, dropped my opinion of their efforts tremendously. now i gotta go look up to see if/how they got prosecuted.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LaserBuddha said:
Prince (and however many other of his lackeys) seems slimy as hell.
Seems? Well, a journey of a thousand miles, etc.

LaserBuddha said:
It does not change the fact that 99% of the time, Blackwater has simply provided armed protection to civilians overseas (a lot of people here probably think their mercenaries).
Where are you pulling this number from?

LaserBuddha said:
Like I said, this characterization of the entire organization is no more valid than saying the same about the military or the government itself. I wouldn't use all of those things you listed as evidence unless they were proven true, btw. I'll be first in line to condemn them of anything with sufficient evidence.
We can wait for the numerous lawsuits, criminal and civil trials to finish if you like. In the meantime, I'll call it how I and other left-wing blogs like the Wall Street Journal see it, and say that where there's choking smoke, there's a massive conflagration.

While we're at it, I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming whistleblower lawsuit by those former employees against Blackwater regarding fraudulent bill submissions for services rendered in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as excessive force in performance of those duties.

LaserBuddha said:
So you still haven't justified your characterization of the entire organization. Your turn.
nah, I think I'm good.

bishoptl said:
Seems? Well, a journey of a thousand miles, etc.
Nice attempt to pick at a meaningless bit of semantics. Yes, he IS slimy. You know what I meant.

Where are you pulling this number from?
It's what the government and others pay them to do, and it's a matter of fact that that's what they spend the vast majority of the time doing. The exceptions that have led to the charges are just that, exceptions. I used "99%" to drive home that point. It's probably higher than that.

We can wait for the numerous lawsuits, criminal and civil trials to finish if you like. In the meantime, I'll call it how I and other left-wing blogs like the Wall Street Journal see it, and say that where there's choking smoke, there's a massive conflagration.
I never said I need a trial to complete. I'm just not going to put stock in any charges that don't have any evidence. Absolutely any charge that has concrete evidence is one I'll believe in. Anything that's only an accusation is only an accusation to me, regardless of whether it's Mother Teresa or Blackwater or Osama bin Laden.

nah, I think I'm good.
So you're defending the idea that Blackwater are a ""bunch of murderers", but you decline to actually do so? Since that's the one point I was here to refute (yes, despite you pretending that I'm here to "minimize" any number of other charges, it's not true), why are you even debating me?

Wait a minute, I was supposed to be done with this. smh

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You refuse to acknowledge that the charges against the company - no matter how numerous - have any merit until the trials follow through to their conclusion. If you're willing to equate Mother Theresa and Osama Bin Laden - your words, not mine - how on earth do you expect any sort of rational discussion?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just grabbed some links in case there are people not entirely familiar with Blackwater/Xe and don't want to burden themselves with leaving GAF to learn more:

Blackwater uses armed force 'twice as often as other Iraq firms'

Iraqis speak of random killings committed by private Blackwater guards

F.B.I. Says Guards Killed 14 Iraqis Without Cause

U.S. Examines Whether Blackwater Tried Bribery

Blackwater staff 'violated weapons law'

That's an extremely narrow selection, there's plenty more where that came from. Blackwater/Xe has a rather colorful history.

And if you're just skimming the titles, be sure not to miss this delightful quote from the second link:

A Virginia court also received sworn statements from former Blackwater employees yesterday alleging that Erik Prince, the company’s founder, “views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith from the globe”.

And of course, Wikipedia's got your back if you want a longer but still not comprehensive overview of their various activities.

KHarvey16

bishoptl said:
You refuse to acknowledge that the charges against the company - no matter how numerous - have any merit until the trials follow through to their conclusion. If you're willing to equate Mother Theresa and Osama Bin Laden - your words, not mine - how on earth do you expect any sort of rational discussion?

Does the law not explicitly equate them prior to a trial?

bishoptl said:
You refuse to acknowledge that the charges against the company - no matter how numerous - have any merit until the trials follow through to their conclusion.
Quote me saying this, or don't accuse me of it again. A bunch of these charges have evidence to support them. Good evidence is good enough for me. Some of them seem to simply be verbal accusations (from my brief overview) thus I wouldn't assume they're truth yet.

If you're willing to equate Mother Theresa and Osama Bin Laden - your words, not mine - how on earth do you expect any sort of rational discussion?
I didn't equate them. Stop making things up. What I SAID was, accusations by themselves are just accusations to me, and it doesn't matter whether it's against the best or worst of people. My standard of proof does not change because of how much I like or dislike the accused.

If you're willing to fabricate thoughts of mine that you'd like to believe exist, how can YOU expect any sort of rational discussion?

SRG01

KHarvey16 said:

Are we talking about American or European courts? Because European courts tend to be more investigatory than American ones. By that standard, BW is already guilty several times over.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
KHarvey16 said:
Sure - but not in the court of public opinion and especially not with varying degrees of evidence. Choosing to ignore the massive amount of shady shit performed by Blackwater requires a disassociation from reality left to much more forgiving individuals.

KHarvey16

SRG01 said:
Are we talking about American or European courts? Because European courts tend to be more investigatory than American ones. By that standard, BW is already guilty several times over.

They are already guilty of crimes that haven't been successfully prosecuted? Pay very close attention to the specific argument being made and the specific words being chosen. BW has done bad things. That does not mean BW enters a trial for a new charge less innocent than anyone else.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LaserBuddha said:
I'm just not going to put stock in any charges that don't have any evidence. Absolutely any charge that has concrete evidence is one I'll believe in.
LaserBuddha said:
A bunch of these charges have evidence to support them. Good evidence is good enough for me.
LaserBuddha said:
I didn't equate them. Stop making things up. What I SAID was, accusations by themselves are just accusations to me, and it doesn't matter whether it's against the best or worst of people. My standard of proof does not change because of how much I like or dislike the accused.
Is there enough concrete evidence to put stock in these charges against Blackwater, or not?

This is really strange. Even the articles I've read that show the benefits of a PMC like Blackwater versus the US military (they're are some, but it's always financial) always do so cautiously. Celebrating a PMC as this game must do is just strange.

bishoptl said:
Is there enough concrete evidence to put stock in these charges against Blackwater, or not?

That's a pretty black-and-white thing. If the evidence is there, then it's there, and the answer is yes.

You keep selectively quoting me, purposefully avoiding the times I've stated that I'm only taking offense to the false characterization of Blackwater as a bunch of murderers, because of a murky incident involving only a handful of them. The only reason I can imagine that you're doing so is because you can't qualify that false characterization either. So you divert by bringing up other charges against Blackwater, and take it a step further by lying about me defending/downplaying those charges. Of course, I've brought up the disservice you're doing to me there, and you dodge it.

You want to argue against me, but don't want to argue against my ONE and ONLY stance here. I don't understand why.

Honestly, I don't want to argue about this. I have no desire to defend any legitimate criticism of Blackwater. My point is self-evidently true, and the false generalization I'm railing against is self-evidently false. I'm doing myself a disservice by acting like it can even be argued (and doing myself an additional disservice by involving myself in a discussion where no one wants to face what I'm saying).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Er-I'm not sure why you'd align with Blackwater as there surely other PMC's to consult if you wanted to make a game based on a PMC's life?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LB, my take is that a corporate culture that actively encouraged and rewarded this kind of activity - sanctioned from the top, mind - is one that deserves to be called out for it. I'm not just talking about the 17 dead civilians. I'm also referring to Blackwater contractors allegedly placing their own people in harm's way as part of personal vendettas (the Helvenston case that's under appeal). Shooting an unarmed civilian while being acquitted of shooting two others in the same incident. There's a reason why the company changed their name - Blackwater is a PR disaster, and it's interesting why anyone would think it an IP worth pursuing with the amount of blood and controversy surrounding it.

I'll continue to call things - and Xe/Blackwater - how I see it.

LaserBuddha said:
My point is self-evidently true, and the false generalization I'm railing against is self-evidently false.
Well that's all right then

SRG01 said:

Problem is USA forced the first Iraq government to make companies like blackwater free from prosecution. loophole was closed after a year or 2, and all these stories from blackwater murdering and raping continued.
Cant feel pity for them, This game is bad taste.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
SapientWolf said:
Not trying to take sides, but when has the gaming community ever balked at playing badguys anyway?
Never, really. Better to take pieces of existing examples and create something new for a title instead of using a company like this. Just my opinion, though.

I'm very curious as to how development is being bankrolled.

Izayoi

Banned
So does the game let us open fire on civilians and rape the locals?

I assume they're going for authenticity, right?

xbhaskarx

ixix said:
I just grabbed some links in case there are people not entirely familiar with Blackwater/Xe and don't want to burden themselves with leaving GAF to learn more:

Blackwater uses armed force 'twice as often as other Iraq firms'

Iraqis speak of random killings committed by private Blackwater guards

F.B.I. Says Guards Killed 14 Iraqis Without Cause

U.S. Examines Whether Blackwater Tried Bribery

Blackwater staff 'violated weapons law'

That's an extremely narrow selection, there's plenty more where that came from. Blackwater/Xe has a rather colorful history.

And if you're just skimming the titles, be sure not to miss this delightful quote from the second link:

And of course, Wikipedia's got your back if you want a longer but still not comprehensive overview of their various activities.

So what you're saying is developers could make a really interesting video game about Blackwater?
If they weren't committing random killings, that wouldn't exactly make for a very fun FPS would it?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
LaserBuddha said:
single incident
We all know about the incident in question
99% of the time, Blackwater has simply provided armed protection to civilians overseas
because of a murky incident involving only a handful of them.

Your intentions here are the only thing that's murky and no one is going to take you seriously when 99% of your claims are obviously false. Do some research; you're making a complete fool of yourself throughout the thread by downplaying all these known and documented atrocities.

There are a lot of hardcore bros who probably jack off to the idea of war and still wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Anyone who would is probably an amoeba themselves, utterly ignorant like yourself or has more love for the genre than they do self-respect.

Top Bottom