• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Have they ever said why the heck they don't have global chat channels? It seems to be something that never gets brought up or asked about.

Server transfers should be free. Rift can do it.

RIFT really needed them with how low the pops got on all servers. For a while all servers even at prime time would be at light, and people were begging for server mergers. Transfers were a stop gap till they could get the mergers working.

TheYanger

Rift doesn't have a Legacy system.
So? The fact that they included that system doesn't excuse them from addressing the issue. I'm aware that makes it harder, but they could've been thinking about that when they first announced legacy. Zero foresight from Bioware with the game in general is fairly obvious.
Have they ever said why the heck they don't have global chat channels? It seems to be something that never gets brought up or asked about.

RIFT really needed them with how low the pops got on all servers. For a while all servers even at prime time would be at light, and people were begging for server mergers. Transfers were a stop gap till they could get the mergers working.

And Star wars doesn't?

And Star wars doesn't?

Bunch of servers at prime time have heavy pops. Game needs merges more than anything, server transfers really don't do anything ever outside of helping a single person go to a better server, but until they implement merges things wont change much. The EU servers are a mess with too many and low pops though.

But I don't think it will have huge impact, people claimed the game was ghost towns at launch even when planets had multiple instances. More players will help no doubt but still doesn't fix the problem the game has with it's world design which is so large and spread out that you rarely see players. The planets didn't need to be so big and spread out.

It would have been better use of these large planets to make them mixed leveling zones that players would go back and forth between, instead of having a single level range spread out over the entire place.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So? The fact that they included that system doesn't excuse them from addressing the issue. I'm aware that makes it harder, but they could've been thinking about that when they first announced legacy. Zero foresight from Bioware with the game in general is fairly obvious.

They are addressing the issue. They have already done transfers for the new Asia Pacific servers and general transfers are coming in early summer. The fact Rift can do it is irrelevant, they are different games with different infrastructures and game mechanics.

I'd be a fan of any HK line in there, considering (spoilers for 1.3)
he is supposed to be the big new feature of 1.3, gaining a rebuilt version as a companion!

And that was a great Nightmare run last night, thanks for running with us Azura!

Anytime!, wonder how close we were to the 2 hours in the end?

Would have been fine if predeesh didnt keep running into the boulder circles...

Cystm

The situation is pretty bad though for Republic players especially. I created an alt on Pub side to try and help out but, on a saturday @ 6:00 in evening, there was only 17 people on the entire fleet.

Meanwhile on the same server - 200+ people on the Imperial fleet.

How the hell do they fix this? Free irreversible faction transfers?

vilmer_

The situation is pretty bad though for Republic players especially. I created an alt on Pub side to try and help out but, on a saturday @ 6:00 in evening, there was only 17 people on the entire fleet.

It's like this on my server as well, albeit not as bad, since we have a very tight nit Republic community. We'll fluctuate between 50-100 on a Tuesday/Friday/Saturday night whereas the Imp fleet regularly has over 100 at least every night. I'm starting to think all the people who are saying "my server is dead" are Pubs :p

Miletius

There are probably out of the box ways to solve this in the long term (such as enabling "defections") but in the short term I don't think there's much they can do. We'll see how they address it eventually.

FLEABttn

Banned
It's like this on my server as well, albeit not as bad, since we have a very tight nit Republic community. We'll fluctuate between 50-100 on a Tuesday/Friday/Saturday night whereas the Imp fleet regularly has over 100 at least every night. I'm starting to think all the people who are saying "my server is dead" are Pubs :p

Didn't see donut station break 50 today.

Yes, I'm Rep
Pubs are where I drink

Mergers are the only thing that can help. They can offer rewards and such to get people to play the other side, but it never does much since you still have to wait for a side to build itself up and get players leveled up to any meaningful level. You might see slight buff to a faction on a server, but everything other MMOs has tried never worked out really. They simply need to get more players onto the server, which only will happen with merges. The only other thing would be to do highly controller free character transfers but no one is going to transfer to a server with a low pub pop on purpose. WAR did it right where they controlled where you go, they gave you choices to where to transfer too for free which needed more players of a certain faction. But they did this only because they were doing forced merges soon after.

Cystm

JimG: Is there any sort of ETA on adding completely new playable species into the game such as Togruta, Mon Calamari, Nautolan, etc.?

Daniel: Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand... this year.

MECiR.jpg

It would be bad ass to play as a Devaronian.

But they have about 30 more near human aliens they can put in instead like Zeltrons lol

Watch them troll people with more different colored humanoid species only.

Cystm

But they have about 30 more near human aliens they can put in instead like Zeltrons lol

Watch them troll people with more different colored humanoid species only.

They will double troll the player base after saying that all main characters in star wars films are humanoids, and give us Wookies with speech augmentations that allow them to communicate in basic.

Edit: Wookie romance. Hot damn.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't see why they can't just merge some servers and allow free faction changes for a month on any merged server (stipulation being only the higher pop faction can change to the lower pop faction, such as imp to rep)

Bam. Hire me Bioware.

theta11

I don't see why they can't just merge some servers and allow free faction changes for a month on any merged server (stipulation being only the higher pop faction can change to the lower pop faction, such as imp to rep)

Bam. Hire me Bioware.

The way the game is set up faction changes seem more complicated than server transfers. There isn't much you can do about the faction balance once the damage is already done. It's something you have to get in control early or not at all.

how are Devaronians anything other than reskinned humans with horns?

Most aliens in SW are humanoid but I mean to the extent of simply recolored humans like Chiss, Ratataki, etc that are already in the game, plus others they can add. Devaronians do have slightly differently modeled heads and aren't just red humans with horns. I doubt they will put the really exotic aliens in like Trandoshans, wookies, etc. Torgrutas are about as exotic as I would imagine they would go so far.

Bam. Hire me Bioware.

Faction changes would be tough, but also doubt it would be effective. Who would want to switch to the side with the least population? Lot of players don't like transfering from servers even, don't see many wanting to transfer factions either. The only thing I could imagine they could attempt is as mentioned before is a defection system, since the classes are mirrored, let players defect and simply continue their character on the different faction somehow with story stipulations put forth or limits. Course again it would have to be controlled and essentially players could only be allowed to defect to the republic.... lot of pub players if they could switch would simply jump to the empire to play with the bigger pop.

They need to wrangle in players with merges, simplest of solutions

Sigfodr

Well, I'm back in the game. have four months of game time and rolled a new Agent to get acclimated to playing again. I've postponed rolling an Agent because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop playing one if I started. Just unlocked my sniper AC, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which direction to take the build?

Oh, and I would love to have a Voss playable. But really, I want to roll a droid.

Edit: I guess I should mention that my main objective is PvE. I will PvP, but it's not my main draw to the game

Moaradin

I think Voss will be pretty much guaranteed. They are already fully rendered in-game and are essentially human reskins. I don't see why they wouldn't add them, if not for the sake of more variety. As long as they add more exotic races as well.

isny

napkin dispenser
I think Voss will be pretty much guaranteed. They are already fully rendered in-game and are essentially human reskins. I don't see why they wouldn't add them, if not for the sake of more variety. As long as they add more exotic races as well.

Well they confirmed we'll have more playable races by the end of the year, so maybe they're planning on rolling out an expansion pack?

HBroward

Well, I'm back in the game. have four months of game time and rolled a new Agent to get acclimated to playing again. I've postponed rolling an Agent because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop playing one if I started. Just unlocked my sniper AC, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which direction to take the build

Engineer for leveling, then either that or marksman for endgame content.

Alex

I'd imagine certain games are very wary of merges because of the really bad press it'll bring. I'm sure thats not the only reason but it has to be a key one with the way word of mouth operates in these things. WoW has needed them for ages, too, theres a slew of dead low pop realms and while all their modern game systems can step around realms for the most part, it doesn't help certain things.

I'd love to see as many server and faction walls go in the future of the genre as possible, myself.

Milly79

In my research last night that seemed to be the appropriate conclusion. It's encouraging to see GAF reinforce that. Thanks.

The rotation isn't too bad either. It's around 5 keys, with fillers thrown in between to keep your energy over 60%.

With that being said, you can see some of it in action here, in Story Mode EC. It's quite hard to see how much damage I'm doing on some of the bosses, but I eventually zoom out to see some of it myself. You can also see my keybinds and how I have my bars set up.

As always, use 1080p if viewing.

Zorn and Toth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc-Cl2AUdD4

Firebrand and Stormcaller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF9E59GcNw

Colonel Vorgath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_306wKRNo

Warlord Kephess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCx04aupnM

Lilsnubby

Hmm I'm enjoying the pvp so much more when it's NOT Huttball.

It wouldn't be one server.

I was kid of "meh" about Huttball before I really got the hang of it. Now I LOVE it. I perk up every time I see the Huttball splash screen. We need more Huttball arenas! Nothing feels better than catching a long pass for a TD or throwing a last-second bomb to win it.

Lilsnubby

Well, I'm back in the game. have four months of game time and rolled a new Agent to get acclimated to playing again. I've postponed rolling an Agent because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop playing one if I started. Just unlocked my sniper AC, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which direction to take the build?

Oh, and I would love to have a Voss playable. But really, I want to roll a droid.

Edit: I guess I should mention that my main objective is PvE. I will PvP, but it's not my main draw to the game

PVE I would go OP so that you can stealth through tough missions and heal in groups if you need to. Sniper is very fun but really about big burst in PVP, OP is about annoying the hell out of everyone or occasionally tormenting one enemy in PVP. I levelled as a healing OP and it felt a little underpowered. Sotry is, by far, the best one though.

HBroward

And to be fair, we do have more attacks, they are all just subpar dpe. So yeah, a pretty basic rotation when you have time to sit and go through it.

Sigfodr

The rotation isn't too bad either. It's around 5 keys, with fillers thrown in between to keep your energy over 60%.

With that being said, you can see some of it in action here, in Story Mode EC. It's quite hard to see how much damage I'm doing on some of the bosses, but I eventually zoom out to see some of it myself. You can also see my keybinds and how I have my bars set up.

As always, use 1080p if viewing.

Zorn and Toth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc-Cl2AUdD4

Firebrand and Stormcaller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF9E59GcNw

Colonel Vorgath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_306wKRNo

Warlord Kephess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCx04aupnM

I appreciate it!

PVE I would go OP so that you can stealth through tough missions and heal in groups if you need to. Sniper is very fun but really about big burst in PVP, OP is about annoying the hell out of everyone or occasionally tormenting one enemy in PVP. I levelled as a healing OP and it felt a little underpowered. Sotry is, by far, the best one though.

My "main" is a Scoundrel :)

Francois424

Neo Member
JimG: Is there any sort of ETA on adding completely new playable species into the game such as Togruta, Mon Calamari, Nautolan, etc.?

Daniel: Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand... this year.

It would be bad ass to play as a Devaronian.

Very interesting stuff... The rest of the year is quite long tho, which is quite a bummer.
But looks like I did well to not tangle with the Jedi Knight yet. Togruta JK comming soon !

Togruta is the only one I really want.

I'd also like to see them rework the headgear/hoods for non standard heads.

In 1.2 they changed alot of headgear to allow the Lekku on twileks to actually come out the backs. They still need to work on some of the helms that hide hair. For stuff like Togruta and such, they probably will just have to make it like companion characters where certain gear does not appear when equipped.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
In 1.2 they changed alot of headgear to allow the Lekku on twileks to actually come out the backs. They still need to work on some of the helms that hide hair. For stuff like Togruta and such, they probably will just have to make it like companion characters where certain gear does not appear when equipped.

What they need to do is make custom versions for certain races. They already do this with most (all?) items looking different depending on which faction is equipping it. If SWG devs were able to make entire sets of unique clothing for Wookies and Ithorians I don't see why BW shouldn't be able to.

antonz

Togruta is the only one I really want.

I'd also like to see them rework the headgear/hoods for non standard heads.

I can see Togruta coming now that they have acknowleged and confirmed they are going to give Ashara an actual body.

They were lazy and cheated on the Togruta giving them full body green pajamas so they wouldnt have to paint their bodies but enough fan complaints over slave gear turning them invis etc and progress

What they need to do is make custom versions for certain races. They already do this with most (all?) items looking different depending on which faction is equipping it. If SWG devs were able to make entire sets of unique clothing for Wookies and Ithorians I don't see why BW shouldn't be able to.

SWG though rarely updated it's armor designs. The game for years basically had the same handful of armor sets and it was rare for them to add new ones. And even then many races simply were locked out of using gear because it wasn't modeled for them, so they had only access to limited selections or couldn't wear specific components.

The massive amounts of snares and CC really ruin Huttball for me.

Hell pvp in general at times.

See the CC is not so much of a problem outside of Huttball. To me Huttball just highlights so many issues. In regular pvp objective modes, the CC and other complaints I have aren't a big deal, while they are more game breaking in the ball game. Like all the complaints of the quick speed consular/inq have access too really only is because of Huttball.

Zafir

See the CC is not so much of a problem outside of Huttball. To me Huttball just highlights so many issues. In regular pvp objective modes, the CC and other complaints I have aren't a big deal, while they are more game breaking in the ball game. Like all the complaints of the quick speed consular/inq have access too really only is because of Huttball.
Very true. Apart from maybe roots. As melee, roots going through resolve is an issue in all PvP.

I'd argue that Assassins/Shadows are only "FOTM" because of huttball. I mean I never really see them doing insane amounts of damage.

Top Bottom