• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Six Month Review of 3D Gaming (PC) and 3D Vision Tips

bee

i like 3D :D

3d3sszw.jpg

just recently finished metro 2033 in 3D maxed on very high (no dof) and it was pretty incredible, atmosphere and graphics wise. battlefield 3 is one you missed which runs flawlessly if you've got the power

the opening gameplay sequence in dead space 2 with the helix mod is just fucking incredible, it's a proper stand out moment for me in 3D and rather amusing that it's in no way made for 3D at all

i've found nvidia support to be lacking as of late, without the dedicated community built around the helix mod it'd be pretty poorly supported

as far as I'm concerned though it's definitely projectors all the way. much better colours than TN lcd panels, no ghosting, low input lag (feels same as my monitors on direct "thru" mode i.e practically 0ms), zero crosstalk (tested in lots of games) and the depth and pop out are ridiculous. the parachute strings in just cause pop out about 5 foot out the screen at the right camera angle on a 92 inch screen. the depth in games like sine mora or even avatar is just as striking.

two other things to mention are the depth hack, its just a script that spams the monitorsize registry key before and for 20 seconds or so after the game has launched. you can basically fool the system and allow it to produce 200% depth or whatever you want, just google it you should get great results with it tweaked to your liking. the other would be enabling the advanced settings in the nvidia control panel and setting the games up for high convergence with ctrl + f5/6 and low depth. most games are really just set up for depth but they can actually look better with less depth and more pop out, like torchlight or starcraft 2

Bread

Banned
Unfortunately, Sony seems to have pissed in Nvidia's cereal and it's not supported.

If you google, there's a workaround to get it working with the 3DPlay software, but from what I can see, you still need the 3D Vision USB emitter during one of the set-up steps. So you're out of luck if you wanna use 3D Play.

EDIT: Actually if you google around, you'll see some interesting results. I can't link for ToS reasons.
interesting

thanks for the help, ill definitely look around and see what i can do. it would be a shame if i couldnt make use of the 3d, since im not a huge ps3 fan.

xJavonta

Banned
Nothing exotic. Wasn't sure I was really going to be sold on the shutter glasses, so I kept holding off. When Amazon had the Asus VG236H (with 3D Vision) for 265 dollars, I figured there was nothing to lose.

My computer is a 660ti GPU and an i3 2120 CPU (CPU was meant to be a stopgap CPU until Ivy Bridge came out, but it was much better than I expected). Local Compusa has some good BF deals on the 3570k and 3770k, though, so I'll probably pull the trigger since a couple games (not many) give it issues. Really motivated by the knowledge Assetto Corsa is going to need a better CPU.

Nice! That's similar to my CPU, I wasn't sure how it'd hold up in 3D. (i3 2100). Long enough to hold me over until the next generation of CPUs from Intel release I suppose. I wonder how a 660 (non-TI) would fare at 3D...

Anyone play Alan Wake in 3D.

Walking around in the woods, man. Incredible.

Great thread, how did I miss it?

Oh, and I see Durante was recommending playing on a projector; I'd second this; I'm playing on an acer h5360 (720p dlp 3D projector that now sells for crazy cheap; it has virtually no crosstalk, the image is incredible).

A sight to behold.

1-D_FTW

just recently finished metro 2033 in 3D maxed on very high (no dof) and it was pretty incredible, atmosphere and graphics wise. battlefield 3 is one you missed which runs flawlessly if you've got the power

the opening gameplay sequence in dead space 2 with the helix mod is just fucking incredible, it's a proper stand out moment for me in 3D and rather amusing that it's in no way made for 3D at all

i've found nvidia support to be lacking as of late, without the dedicated community built around the helix mod it'd be pretty poorly supported

as far as I'm concerned though it's definitely projectors all the way. much better colours than TN lcd panels, no ghosting, low input lag (feels same as my monitors on direct "thru" mode i.e practically 0ms), zero crosstalk (tested in lots of games) and the depth and pop out are ridiculous. the parachute strings in just cause pop out about 5 foot out the screen at the right camera angle on a 92 inch screen. the depth in games like sine mora or even avatar is just as striking.

two other things to mention are the depth hack, its just a script that spams the monitorsize registry key before and for 20 seconds or so after the game has launched. you can basically fool the system and allow it to produce 200% depth or whatever you want, just google it you should get great results with it tweaked to your liking. the other would be enabling the advanced settings in the nvidia control panel and setting the games up for high convergence with ctrl + f5/6 and low depth. most games are really just set up for depth but they can actually look better with less depth and more pop out, like torchlight or starcraft 2

Quoted your final paragraph into the OP.

Thought it was self-explanatory that convergence needed to be unlocked, but I probably shouldn't have assumed that. Added a photo to the OP.

And are you using the advanced convergence settings? Because sometimes I can tweak the image ghosting by getting my convergence level in the sweet spot.

Just tried fine-tuning convergence with the depth at its default setting, and the results are definitely a lot more satisfying. There's visible 'pop' on foreground objects now in most games that I tried that just wasn't there or was barely noticeable before. Ghosting has also reduced to a point where it isn't all that bothersome.

Nymerio

i use nvida 3dtvplay. Sleeping dogs looks incredible!

If you use 3dtvplay, can you just use any 3D monitor? Their website makes it sound like you can just connect your gpu to any 3D tv and play all the 3D vision games. I have the Samsung S27A950D, so I can't use 3D vision but if it'd work with 3dtvplay I could try that.

Fake edit: just saw that there's a trial available. I'll try that after work.

1-D_FTW

Just tried fine-tuning convergence with the depth at its default setting, and the results are definitely a lot more satisfying. There's visible 'pop' on foreground objects now in most games that I tried that just wasn't there or was barely noticeable before. Ghosting has also reduced to a point where it isn't all that bothersome.

Cool. You might even be able to adjust your depth if you dial your convergence right.*

*Any adjustment to depth will require re-adjusting the convergence.

I'm gonna go back and better explain the importance of convergence in the OP. This is a classic noob mistake. I did the same thing. I used 3D for 1 or 2 weeks before I even activated the advanced settings. And then when I did, it was another couple weeks before I stopped babying it. Depth I understood. Convergence sounded sinister. Like it would screw up my picture. And as a result, I treated it like too many button presses would launch nuclear missles and start WWIII. Convergence is a man's best friend when it comes to 3D. Be aggressive with finding the sweet spot.

i use nvida 3dtvplay. Sleeping dogs looks incredible!

Hmm. I'll admit I only played the demo on this one. Maybe the full game is better. But it had that cardboard look to me. Like it only had 3 or 4 layers of depth to it. And Nvidia only rated it a "good" and didn't list any specific technical issues. So I just assumed they docked it for this.

Peterthumpa

Be aggressive with finding the sweet spot.
Indeed. In my case, usually for third person shooters, I try to adjust the convergence without glasses, trying to align both images to be exactly in the same place when looking at the main character. The trick is to make it (the character) looking just like it would look in 2D, when 3D is activated, without the glasses.

For me, this is almost always the sweet spot for convergence setup.

1-D_FTW

Indeed. In my case, usually for third person shooters, I try to adjust the convergence without glasses, trying to align both images to be exactly in the same place when looking at the main character. The trick is to make it (the character) looking just like it would look in 2D, when 3D is activated, without the glasses.

For me, this is almost always the sweet spot for convergence setup.

That's an interesting tip. I think I've heard it before, but have never tried it. I'll add this to the updated convergence section.

3d3sszw.jpg

Are 2 670s cutting it for 60FPS and 3D for you? I have one 670 with another en route to me next week, just trying to get an idea of where my performance in 3D games will stand with the second card

interesting

thanks for the help, ill definitely look around and see what i can do. it would be a shame if i couldnt make use of the 3d, since im not a huge ps3 fan.

there was an inf trick to get the display recognized as a 3d tv. i had the sony ps display for a while, returned it, and just ordered a new one since they are on sale for $99 at best buy. my local store had tons of them. also, a 2nd pair of glasses goes for $20 on bb.com currently, fyi

using the inf trick, i was able to play bioshock through 3dtv and wow, was it purdy...... was using an asus ul30vt laptop and an alienware m14x, both with nvidia cards. the game would load up in left/right mode and i'd have to force left/right 3d on the display in order to get games and movies to work.

my problem was my desktop running an ati 4870 not supporting anything. for some reason i dont understand, the ability to force 3d modes while connected to the ati 4870 was greyed out. it was possibly because the ati 4870 uses dvi out and i had to connect and adapter. the two laptops i tested had no issues with being able to force 3d modes.

.... ugh, might be time for a new video card, but it's an unjustified expense.

PS, while not a showcase example, diablo 3 looks pretty awesome in 3d.

Arucardo

there was an inf trick to get the display recognized as a 3d tv. i had the sony ps display for a while, returned it, and just ordered a new one since they are on sale for $99 at best buy. my local store had tons of them. also, a 2nd pair of glasses goes for $20 on bb.com currently, fyi

using the inf trick, i was able to play bioshock through 3dtv and wow, was it purdy...... was using an asus ul30vt laptop and an alienware m14x, both with nvidia cards. the game would load up in left/right mode and i'd have to force left/right 3d on the display in order to get games and movies to work.

my problem was my desktop running an ati 4870 not supporting anything. for some reason i dont understand, the ability to force 3d modes while connected to the ati 4870 was greyed out. it was possibly because the ati 4870 uses dvi out and i had to connect and adapter. the two laptops i tested had no issues with being able to force 3d modes.

.... ugh, might be time for a new video card, but it's an unjustified expense.

PS, while not a showcase example, diablo 3 looks pretty awesome in 3d.
Didn't ATi (or AMD in this case) add 3d capabilities with the 5xxx or 6xxx cards? Almost positive that even the 5xxx cards can't do 3D.

EDIT: Nope, the 5xxx series cards do support it it seems.

bee

Are 2 670s cutting it for 60FPS and 3D for you? I have one 670 with another en route to me next week, just trying to get an idea of where my performance in 3D games will stand with the second card

totally depends on the game and the way i'm playing it, 720p on the projector its much easier of course, 6050 x 1080 in surround then only old games run at 60. i think you're probably more concerned with 1080p though? if so then most will run at 60 but certainly not all, metro 2033 (very high) and BF3 spring to mind as being total system hogs, console ports generally run at 60 though

Arucardo

totally depends on the game and the way i'm playing it, 720p on the projector its much easier of course, 6050 x 1080 in surround then only old games run at 60. i think you're probably more concerned with 1080p though? if so then most will run at 60 but certainly not all, metro 2033 (very high) and BF3 spring to mind as being total system hogs, console ports generally run at 60 though

Yeah, it really depends on the game, even if you can run something at 120fps or more doesn't mean you'll get 60 in 3D.

UrbanRats

Anyone knows a point and click that can actually be played in 3d? Most P&C games being 2d, means there are not a lot of them that hand themselves well to it, but i tried Memento Mori and it was pretty damn good in S3D, only problem was that yhe HUD elements (includd the mouse pointer) had zero depth, which made it very difficult to actually play the game. :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Doom3 BFG Edition is another stand out title. Amazing in 3D.

Q8D3vil

Max payne 3 was god tier in 3d, but they broke the cut scenes after the first patch but i dont know if they fixed it now.

Nymerio

Looks like I'm pretty much done with the whole 3D thing. Tried a couple of games I could get running with tridef but I ended up really disappointed. Some games won't even start, every steam game has to restart steam first before launching, a lot of ghosting and some games wouldn't even start. Performance impact was also too much for me. Tried running Hot Pursuit in 3D and my framerate dropped to the thirties. Did not like that at all. As 1-D_FTW said, frame rate becomes even more important once you go 3D.

I guess you're fucked if you don't have the 3D vision hardware.

Trine 2 though is an amazing experience in 3D, there's just something about that game that makes the 3D effect something special. Everyone I showed it to instantly loved it. For me it's like you're walking through a miniature fairy tale 3D book thing, if that makes any sense.

Thank you for this thread! Subscribed.

I had no idea what to do with convergence, I'll get on setting it right now. If it fixes some of my ghosting, I will be a happy panda.

Thus far, I have mostly been enjoying Arkham City and Hard Reset with 3D. My one gripe has been that games like Path of Exile and Diablo 3 don't depth-track the mouse pointer and item labels/health bars and other UI stuff like that. If you turn all of those on, the games become amazing but unfortunately it's not worth the tradeoff. I just wish the bars/labels shared depth with the enemies.

Edit: Just tried out Trine 2. Sweet baby moses, that has to be the "killer app" for 3D Vision. Set the convergence based on the "make the character look 2D while not wearing glasses" idea and it worked out perfectly aside from a few objects being a bit too close in the foreground at times. I saw literally zero crosstalk.

bee

couple of other points, if you have a monitor with large amounts of crosstalk in 3D then setting up the game with minimum depth and high convergence will usually completely remove the crosstalk, try it on fallout vegas for instance as that's a game that seems to test monitors quite well (daytime setting)

helix mod ONLY works on dx9, with many game engines now being upgraded to dx11 in preparation for the next generation of consoles, this means that broken games will remian broken until a developer patch is released (hitman, by the sounds of it) or a new fix is found, kinda worrying imo

1-D_FTW

Was reading up at Helix Mod on how to fix your own games. Was going to give Cargo Commander a crack, but it turns out I need a keyboard with a numbers lock pad on it to cycle through the different shaders. My Cooler Master Quick Fire doesn't have one. Might have to pick up a junker just so I can try and play around a bit.

Doom3 BFG Edition is another stand out title. Amazing in 3D.

Haven't gotten around to buying this yet. I did bookmark this thread a while ago:

http://3dvision-blog.com/8439-doom-...reoscopic-3d-support/comment-page-1/#comments

Not sure if it makes it even better, but they sure had a lot of chatter about it. Considering Helix Mod didn't make any changes, maybe it was a bunch about nothing.

couple of other points, if you have a monitor with large amounts of crosstalk in 3D then setting up the game with minimum depth and high convergence will usually completely remove the crosstalk, try it on fallout vegas for instance as that's a game that seems to test monitors quite well (daytime setting)

helix mod ONLY works on dx9, with many game engines now being upgraded to dx11 in preparation for the next generation of consoles, this means that broken games will remian broken until a developer patch is released (hitman, by the sounds of it) or a new fix is found, kinda worrying imo

It is worrisome. Hopefully they'll find ways to have fixes. Although the tech illiterate in me believes the reason things have gone down hill lately is because the consoles are so old. In order to continue pushing the graphical bar higher, they're using question techniques.

phinious

I bought the $99 Sony 3D Display. If you get the chance, I recommend you avoid it. I like 3d, but this thing makes my eyes hurt like no other. Also alot of flickering. So bad

1-D_FTW

Just picked up Gatling Gears on Steam (sale) for 2.49. Game is terrific in 3D. Imagine a steampunk version of Renegade Ops.*

*Need to login and register serial with an affixed Origin account.

Izayoi

Banned
We know that the Oculus isn't going to utilize any of the nVidia 3D stuff, right?

I've got a 3D monitor but I use it more to do 120fps stuff with online shooters.

1-D_FTW

We know that the Oculus isn't going to utilize any of the nVidia 3D stuff, right?

I've got a 3D monitor but I use it more to do 120fps stuff with online shooters.

The Oculus Rift is a different technique. It basically needs to invert the fish-eye (optics) to make it look normal. So I'm sure Nvidia won't support it (since they won't get any money from it).

On the other hand, a game that's broken in 3D vision due to poor rendering isn't going to fair any better with Oculus. So you can probably look at the ratings and eliminate games that already have issues with 3D (beyond shader issues).

1-D_FTW

Had to bump this thread to give a special shout-out to Lego: Batman 2 and Lego: LoTR. Neither one of these seems to have been rated by Nvidia, and Lego games have traditionally had some issues, but hot damn. Incredible 3D in both. The title intro alone in both seem like they were designed for 3D. Special. And the games themselves appear designed for 3D:) Convergence is locked, but it's high. Actually wouldn't mind turning it down a couple clicks (which is not the problem you usually have with locked convergence).

Picked up Batman 2 during the Steam sale for 7.49 and downloaded the Lego LoTR demo after I played that for a bit.

Rockstar

Neo Member
I have a nvidia card and today will receive a lg television with passive 3d, my question is, What is the best way to take advantage of passive 3D?, Do I need to install additional software besides Nvidia drivers?, Thanks: D

This is awesome, thanks for making this thread. Subscribing.

I'm surprised you say Deus Ex: HR has shitty 3D... I remember someone in the HMZ-T1 thread raving about the 3D in it, and I've been keeping that mental note in my head ever since.

I have yet to experience 3D gaming on PC, since I'm GPU-less and broke at the moment. But I'll make it happen one day.

It was probably me. I was 100% completely underwhelmed by the game in 3D on my 3DTV, but blown away by it on my HMZ. part of that was how much better it looked on the HMZ in comparison. A lot of games there isn't a massive difference between how a game looks on a 3DTV and on the HMZs, but certain games are what I call 'worst case scenario' for cross talk. Doom 3 is a good example of a worst case scenario for cross talk. such games shine so brightly on the HMZs.

It may also have been Dark10x, because I remember us both talking about how impressed we were by that game in 3D, and I know he has HMZs too.

unpatched the game had broken 3D with little to no depth, so there are a lot of people who only saw it back in those days too.

but on HMZs it's a great showpiece especially if you have a 3DTV. I use Doom 3 for that demo nowadays though.

Had to bump this thread to give a special shout-out to Lego: Batman 2 and Lego: LoTR. Neither one of these seems to have been rated by Nvidia, and Lego games have traditionally had some issues, but hot damn. Incredible 3D in both. The title intro alone in both seem like they were designed for 3D. Special. And the games themselves appear designed for 3D:) Convergence is locked, but it's high. Actually wouldn't mind turning it down a couple clicks (which is not the problem you usually have with locked convergence).

Picked up Batman 2 during the Steam sale for 7.49 and downloaded the Lego LoTR demo after I played that for a bit.
I will check out the LOTR demo. I loved the demo on the 3DS and its been picking up some great reviews. Good 3D performance is never something to sniff at.

1-D_FTW

It was probably me. I was 100% completely underwhelmed by the game in 3D on my 3DTV, but blown away by it on my HMZ. part of that was how much better it looked on the HMZ in comparison. A lot of games there isn't a massive difference between how a game looks on a 3DTV and on the HMZs, but certain games are what I call 'worst case scenario' for cross talk. Doom 3 is a good example of a worst case scenario for cross talk. such games shine so brightly on the HMZs.

It may also have been Dark10x, because I remember us both talking about how impressed we were by that game in 3D, and I know he has HMZs too.

unpatched the game had broken 3D with little to no depth, so there are a lot of people who only saw it back in those days too.

but on HMZs it's a great showpiece especially if you have a 3DTV. I use Doom 3 for that demo nowadays though.

Have you tried "The Missing Link" DLC? Because I already finished Deus Ex and tried it with "The Missing Link". But seeing as that's stand-alone, maybe it has the same issue the original had pre-patch. All I get is the gun rendered in 3D and the background is 2D. Which sounds like the original problem with the full game.

I will check out the LOTR demo. I loved the demo on the 3DS and its been picking up some great reviews. Good 3D performance is never something to sniff at.

EDIT: Interesting point about the demo being good on the 3DS. I wonder if them designing Batman 2 and LOTR for 3DS is why the Lego games have suddenly taken a significant jump in 3D quality. Clearly they must be using different engines, but it did seem like those game were designed to exploit 3D... even though they didn't even have a 3D rating with Nvidia. Perhaps this explains some of the 3D friendly design choices.

Have you tried "The Missing Link" DLC? Because I already finished Deus Ex and tried it with "The Missing Link". But seeing as that's stand-alone, maybe it has the same issue the original had pre-patch. All I get is the gun rendered in 3D and the background is 2D. Which sounds like the original problem with the full game.

I have it, but I haven't tried it yet, so no. If I get time tonight I will give it a go and let you know.

This is the Monitor I'm buying myself in december to be Stereoscopic video Editor! I've been researching in a career in this for a while. I will also use it for my PS3 and PC games in 3d. It's no nvidia vision but I think it'll be good enough if not better, being an IPS monitor I won't lose image/color quality and, my eyes won't be damaged by blinking necessary by 120hz 3d. It's in general known that the Passive 3d technology causes less strain and as an editor of 3d I needed a monitor like this to come in my price range. There is less depth and it might have a slower response time, but the grey to grey is 2ms. I can't wait really. Its also only 270 euros in media markt.

The AOC D2757PH :)

aoc-d2757ph-passive-3d-monitor.jpg

AOC d2757Ph 3D Monitor Specifications:

- Monitor Size: 27″ (68.6cm)
- Panel type: IPS, LED backlight
- Viewing Angle: 178°/178° (CR 10)
- Response Time: 5ms
- Maximum Brightness: 250 cd/m²
- Contrast Ratio: 20.000.000:1, 1.000:1 (typical)
- Pixel / Dot / Pitch: 0.311 (H) x 0.311 (V)
- 3D technology type: 3D FPR (Passive 3D)
- Maximum Resolution: 1920×1080@60 Hz
- Video Connectors: 1x D-SUB 15, 2x HDMI 1.4
- Power Consumption: On: <29 W, Standby: <0.5 W, Off: <0.5 W

Arucardo

You'll be getting 720p 3D at 30hz per eye on that monitor, far from ideal for games but probably not a big deal for video editing. Also, I have no idea how bad ghosting is on passive 3d screens.

K' Dash

I just bought a Panasonic 3D plasma yesterday, Im fairly new to 3D didnt even know that you could play the games posted in the OP in 3D.

Id like to ask what is the easiest solution for us AMD users?

1-D_FTW

I just bought a Panasonic 3D plasma yesterday, Im fairly new to 3D didnt even know that you could play the games posted in the OP in 3D.

Maybe plagiarize can help. For a good data base on the games, use this:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gg3d/index.php?grp_by=pos_gam_name&sdr=all&sdr_dev=&view=all

The two AMD solutions used to be TriDef (DDD) and iZ3D. iZ3D has been discontinued due to funding issues. So the only current solution actively supported is Tridef:

http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5

I would assume they have a free trial you can use. And if not, make sure your TV is supported before buying.

some games have native support built right in. Those titles only require that you hook up your 3DTV via HDMI to your PC. The ones I know off the top of my head are Dirt 3, Deus Ex and Doom 3 BFG edition. I believe BattleField 3 and also Sleeping Dogs also have native support, but I don't have those myself to know for sure.

The best thing to get to handle other titles right now is TriDef. How well this works varies pretty massively from 'perfection' to 'why bother?' Some games are better with TriDef than Nvidia's solution, many are not.

TriDef isn't without value to Nvidia owners either though, as it supports many more types of 3D output than the framepacked HDMI resolutions.

Unfortunately demos of games that have native support tend to not have the 3D support. Of the three games I listed, the one that is going to look best on a 3DTV is Dirt 3... but if you have any of them, give it a go. If you're happy with the results, look into TriDef, and yes, mtbs3d is probably the best resource currently for understanding how well a game is going to work in 3D.

Games often receive updates, and I know TriDef use mtbs3d as a form of bug reporting (because I know they've improved profiles in at least one title based on my submissions), so if you do find a game that doesn't work great, and have the time to do a submission to mtbs3d, please do.

That goes for everyone actually ;)

Hopefully now that Windows 8 natively supports 3D (DX11.1 games have to support 3D) we'll see more games offer vendor agnostic flawless 3D. I am not holding my breath yet!

K' Dash

Maybe plagiarize can help. For a good data base on the games, use this:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gg3d/index.php?grp_by=pos_gam_name&sdr=all&sdr_dev=&view=all

The two AMD solutions used to be TriDef (DDD) and iZ3D. iZ3D has been discontinued due to funding issues. So the only current solution actively supported is Tridef:

http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5

I would assume they have a free trial you can use. And if not, make sure your TV is supported before buying.

some games have native support built right in. Those titles only require that you hook up your 3DTV via HDMI to your PC. The ones I know off the top of my head are Dirt 3, Deus Ex and Doom 3 BFG edition. I believe BattleField 3 and also Sleeping Dogs also have native support, but I don't have those myself to know for sure.

The best thing to get to handle other titles right now is TriDef. How well this works varies pretty massively from 'perfection' to 'why bother?' Some games are better with TriDef than Nvidia's solution, many are not.

TriDef isn't without value to Nvidia owners either though, as it supports many more types of 3D output than the framepacked HDMI resolutions.

Unfortunately demos of games that have native support tend to not have the 3D support. Of the three games I listed, the one that is going to look best on a 3DTV is Dirt 3... but if you have any of them, give it a go. If you're happy with the results, look into TriDef, and yes, mtbs3d is probably the best resource currently for understanding how well a game is going to work in 3D.

Games often receive updates, and I know TriDef use mtbs3d as a form of bug reporting (because I know they've improved profiles in at least one title based on my submissions), so if you do find a game that doesn't work great, and have the time to do a submission to mtbs3d, please do.

That goes for everyone actually ;)

Hopefully now that Windows 8 natively supports 3D (DX11.1 games have to support 3D) we'll see more games offer vendor agnostic flawless 3D. I am not holding my breath yet!

Thank you for your answers guys, I have BF3 and Sleeping Dogs, Ill try them tonight as soon as I get home, played some Sonic Generations yesterday and thought it didnt have much 3D effects but it was nice, cant wait to try something else.

You'll be getting 720p 3D at 30hz per eye on that monitor, far from ideal for games but probably not a big deal for video editing. Also, I have no idea how bad ghosting is on passive 3d screens.

Are you sure about the 30hz per eye thing?The horizontal resolution is 1080p but the vertical is 560ish. Also on reviews of the monitor nobody complained of ghosting yet. I Think the screen's size might help with that once you sit upright by it. I'm super hyped by the potential of the monitor.

1-D_FTW

Thank you for your answers guys, I have BF3 and Sleeping Dogs, Ill try them tonight as soon as I get home, played some Sonic Generations yesterday and thought it didnt have much 3D effects but it was nice, cant wait to try something else.

Sonic Generations is really great. Tons of depth. But with 3D Vision, you're instructed to turn off Stereo 3D in-game and just let 3D Vision handle stereoscopic rendering. If you had TriDef, you could try the same thing.

Trine 1/2 are the only games with in-game 3D controls that I can truly remember having good 3D. I really wish developers wouldn't even screw with it.

EDIT: Just looked and this is a game where Helix mod went and fixed the shadow shaders. So I had that installed too. Wonder if that's why Sega locked things down with in-game 3D. Cause they had shadow issues. Specifically: the shadow would split into two as you increased depth.

Are you sure about the 30hz per eye thing?The horizontal resolution is 1080p but the vertical is 560ish. Also on reviews of the monitor nobody complained of ghosting yet. I Think the screen's size might help with that once you sit upright by it. I'm super hyped by the potential of the monitor.

You're clearly set on it, so I'm not one to talk you out of it. But I will say this: the size most definitely won't help if you're sitting close to it. You're basically halving the resolution and if you're sitting close to the screen, the interlacing is going to be pretty noticeable.

Arucardo

Going by the specs you quoted:

I've not put too much time in to reading about passive 3D but I remember the drawback being that it halves the resolution (or decreases it a bunch anyway) since the image for both eyes is interlaced, or something like that.

A 120hz monitor with active glasses gives you 60hz per eye (I think Nvidia forces V sync too, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.) so a 60hz panel will naturally give you 30hz per eye.

Going by the specs you quoted:

I've not put too much time in to reading about passive 3D but I remember the drawback being that it halves the resolution (or decreases it a bunch anyway) since the image for both eyes is interlaced, or something like that.

A 120hz monitor with active glasses gives you 60hz per eye (I think Nvidia forces V sync too, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.) so a 60hz panel will naturally give you 30hz per eye.

Because it's passive each eye gets 60hz simultaneously. That's why the image is interlaced. The resolution and less depth is its main drawback. But at the same time, better colors and comfort are plus signs. Also inexpensive.

Anyone have any clue about how well Far Cry 3 handles 3D Vision? Seems like a great game for it, but I'm sure there's lots of rendering issues.

Top Bottom