• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf sells 800k digital copies (500k eShop)

DGRE

Banned
AnimalCrossingCityFolk-69000%20bells.JPG

Nintendo just released their financials for the previous 9 months of sales ending in December of 2012.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf's LTD was revealed to be 2.73 million.

Since the game is only available in Japan so far, we're able to check that number against both weekly Japanese sales trackers, Media Create and Famitsu.

Animal Crossing is available as a retail release, via a download card, or via the eShop.

Media Create is confirmed to track only the retail version of titles.

Famitsu is confirmed to track the retail and download card versions.

Animal Crossing New Leaf's LTD via Media Create (as of Dec. 30th, 2012): 1,969,955
Animal Crossing New Leaf's LTD via Famitsu (as of Dec. 30th, 2012): 2,286,977

Simple extrapolation lets us see that AC:NL has sold nearly 800k digital copies (eShop and download card combined) and nearly 500k eShop copies.

As I said in the financials thread, this is quite an incredible feat for Nintendo in regards to the eShop.

Nearly 30% of all copies sold are digital. Keep in mind that AC:NL usually skews toward a younger crowd.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's true the numbers reported by Nintendo are shipped + digital sales, but I think in this cases the estimates aren't that far from reality, because Animal Crossing had shortage problems through Holidays. And still now.

Kenka

Shipped or sold ? Differences could be explained that way.

edit:
It's true the numbers reported by Nintendo are shipped + digital sales, but I think in this cases the estimates aren't that far from reality, because Animal Crossing had shortage problems through Holidays. And still now.
Thanks to clarify.

DatDude

Banned
When will there be a Wii U version of Animal Crossing?

I have no interest in the actual console itself, but Animal Crossing for the gamecube was probably one of the most addicting games I've played in my life.

I think I will literally run to gamestop the next game and by a Wii U just for Animal Crossing if it were to be made for that system.

Robin64

Well, Animal Crossing is just the perfect game to have digitally. It's perfect for a handheld and you want it on you at all times.

TriGen

a lot of women 19-24 were said to have bought this game.

I actually would have guessed this sold to an older crowd, too. I always heard that AC was popular with adults (with a large adult female following) as a sim game, but it was considered boring to kids (I was young when I played AC a ton on GC, but I'm saying in general I thought this tended to go older).

watershed

Banned
That is a pretty great figure for digital sales. Now let's get regular sales on the 3ds eshop and watch every title benefit.

Robin64

I still play Let's Go To The City to this day, but the text does feel really bland compared to the Gamecube one. I wonder how New Leaf will be.

Is this said with the authority of having played the 3DS one for many many hours?

No, because it's not out here yet so we can't possibly know what the translation is like. This is based on the three games out and, like I say, I am eager to see how New Leaf is in English.

Michan

Actually, this is incorrect. It's pretty easy to walk into a store and buy the boxed retail version of Animal Crossing now.

Robin64 said:
I still play Let's Go To The City to this day, but the text does feel really bland compared to the Gamecube one. I wonder how New Leaf will be.

City Folk is also a dirty cash-in port, so i'm not sure how much effort went into that one. did you play Wild World?

City Folk is also a dirty cash-in port, so i'm not sure how much effort went into that one. did you play Wild World?

I did and I can agree. But I think why I didn't play it was more to do with nothing to push me to play it for 5 minutes a day then turn it off... DS I'm waiting on coffee at starbucks, pull out Wild World, get my bells and fruit for the day, pulls weeds, coffee ready, turn off. City Folk... come home, relax at home... decide to play a game for an hour... doesn't want to pop in CF for 5 minutes before playing Brawl... just plays Brawl :I

Empty

Well, Animal Crossing is just the perfect game to have digitally. It's perfect for a handheld and you want it on you at all times.

i'm really conflicted on new leaf. the convenience of it always being on the system without fiddling with carts fits beautifully with the game design, but the lack of an account system makes me not want to buy a full price game because of the risk.

@MUWANdo

Banned
If they'd had the brains to release this in the West before Xmas the 3DS would have sold gangbusters.

The delayed worldwide release is down to a combination of factors, AFAIK, the biggest two being the massive amount of localisation required and their struggle to print enough of the particular carts they're using for New Leaf to sustain a worldwide release.

The delayed worldwide release is down to a combination of factors, AFAIK, the biggest two being the massive amount of localisation required and their struggle to print enough of the particular carts they're using for New Leaf to sustain a worldwide release.

not to mention if they're actually changing stuff for the English version like they did with the Gamecube one

@MUWANdo

Banned
not to mention if they're actually changing stuff for the English version like they did with the Gamecube one

I think they plan all the international content from the very beginning these days. One of the other Nintendo studios was working exclusively on cranking out all the different trinkets, although I can't remember which one.

EDIT: Monolith?

Tenki

Is:

Animal Crossing LTD > all Vita games LTD combined?
Animal Crossing digital sales > All Vita digital sales combined?

When will there be a Wii U version of Animal Crossing?

I have no interest in the actual console itself, but Animal Crossing for the gamecube was probably one of the most addicting games I've played in my life.

I think I will literally run to gamestop the next game and by a Wii U just for Animal Crossing if it were to be made for that system.

You have an interest in the console then. Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom