• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma City cops encounters man with stick, shot him with a gun and Taser, man dies

KSweeley

The AP is reporting on a man who was either deaf or hard-of-hearing and was carrying a stick, Oklahoma City cops shot this man with a gun and a Taser, man dies, police claims they didn't hear witnesses yelling at the cops that the man could not hear them before he was shot: https://apnews.com/fc652ca4660848c3...nesses-yelled-'he-can't-hear'-before-shooting

The Latest: Witnesses yelled ‘he can’t hear’ before shooting
September 20, 2017

The Latest on a man holding a stick who was shot and killed by an Oklahoma City police officer (all times local):

10:20 a.m.

Police Capt. Bo Mathews said Wednesday that 35-year-old Magdiel Sanchez wasn’t obeying the officers’ commands before one shot him with a gun and the other with a Taser on Tuesday night. He says the officers didn’t hear witnesses yelling “he can’t hear you” before they fired.

Sanchez died at the scene
. The officer who fired the gun has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Mathews says the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run. He says a witness told one of the officers the address the vehicle had gone to and that Sanchez was on the porch when the officer arrived. He says Sanchez was holding the metal pipe, which had a leather loop on one end.

A neighbor told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Sanchez carried a stick to ward off stray dogs when he walked at night.

___

10:10 a.m.

A neighbor of a man shot and killed by an Oklahoma City police officer say he was either deaf or hard of hearing and often carried a stick to protect himself from stray dogs.

Police Capt. Bo Mathews says officers were responding to a report of a hit-and-run Tuesday night and said they found a vehicle that matched the description of the one in the crash. He says two officers confronted a man holding a stick near the vehicle.

Mathews says one officer fired a Taser and the other shot with a gun. The man was died at the scene
. He has not been named.

Jolie Guebara said Wednesday that she didn’t know her neighbor’s name, but that he used notes to communicate with her and her husband and often carried the stick when he walked at night.

Afrikan

A stick.

Edit- don't care if it turns out to be a metal pipe, if he wasn't swinging it at a officer's head, doesn't fucking matter.

Feel sorry for the young person just trying to live the life God gave him. Feel for his family.

WillyFive

"The officer who fired the gun has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation."

Why don't they jail the cop to await trial just as they would for someone else who fired a gun?

A fucking stick?

God damn. Poor guy. I can't imagine what it must be like in that split second getting shot at by police without knowing what you did wrong.

cyress8

Banned
Soooo, guess the one with the gun accidently pulled it instead of the taser. I think that is what he will say to get off scot free.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo, guess the one with the gun accidently pulled it instead of the taser. I think that is what he will say to get off scot free.

Shit, at this point, I'm pretty sure they could actually just come out and say "I shot him because he wasn't white." and they'd still get off scott-free.

So like did they think briefly using the tazer would make this a non issue? How stupid can you be?

Probably one of the cops went from 0-50 and the other 0-100 and now they're dealing with the aftermath. By "dealing" I mean, pretending they did nothing wrong.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Are police in the US not taught basic hand-to-hand self defence?

What about his baton, did that not cross his mind? Unbelievable, such a senseless waste of life.

He says the officers didn’t hear witnesses yelling “he can’t hear you” before they fired.

Were they like hundreds of feet away or were the officers so afraid for their lives of a man with a pipe that they couldn't hear correctly?

RinsFury

Are police in the US not taught basic hand-to-hand self defence?

What about his baton, did that not cross his mind? Unbelievable, such a senseless waste of life.

Easier to just execute someone than to actually do your job. Not like there are any consequences for cops.

This clearly shows just one of the big problems with US Police. If you don't do what they say they can kill you. The 'stick' was their feeble excuse. And people think the US isn't a Police state.

SeanC

Walking around while brown...

Was he even involved with the hit and run? Doesn't sound like it, was just around...fucking cops, man.

horkrux

Man...

one day you read of the police shooting a student armed with a multi-purpose tool and you're like "ok, well, knives are dangerous".

and then they shoot someone wielding a fucking stick

what the fuck

everytime you give them the benefit of the doubt, s.o. else there fucks it up

Man...

one day you read of the police shooting a student armed with a multi-purpose tool and you're like "ok, well, knives are dangerous".

and then they shoot someone wielding a fucking stick

what the fuck

everytime you give them the benefit of the doubt, s.o. else there fucks it up

Stop giving them the benefit of the doubt?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fucking cops, man. What an unnecessary loss of life. So sick of this cowboy mentality among officers of the “law.”

It does not have to even be that complicated. The guy was basically screwed the moment he became an alleged criminal that happened to be a minority and carrying a weapon that is a death sentence in America on top of not being able to hear police officers commands so they assume he was not respecting their authority.
All the officers have to do is say the magic words I feared for my life and they will be set free.

g11

Shooting or tasing the man was uncalled for either way if the man wasn't belligerent, but the AP article saying it's a stick and then a metal pipe just makes the reporters sound like idiots.

What, was he carrying a giant wooden club or something? I don't get how they can shoot and shock a guy walking around with a damn stick.

My dad's brown and walks with a cane. They gonna shoot him too?

Fucking hell.

Steejee

So what exactly are we paying cops so much for these days if they're more ready to shoot anything remotely dangerous than to risk their skin at the sight of a goddamn metal pipe? Compensation for the emotional burden of shooting someone for no reason?

Top Bottom