• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox update removes Netflix Party streaming.

JaggedSac

Not a big deal to me, only used it once to watch Commando with a friend of mine. It was incredibly fun though, so it sucks that those who use it more can no longer do it.

ultron87

I feel like Kinect integration with the onscreen Avatars during the movie would've been the best stupid thing ever. Did they ever do that?

So cutting through all the snark in this thread, what do people think the legitimate reason is why this feature was removed?

Each individual in the party required a Netflix subscription so I don't see how this feature would have affected Netflix's bottom line.
Could this be a bug?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sick of Sony and MS's bs tactics, Sony is worse, their FW updates are absolute ish, either a feature to protect themselves, removes a feature or add a useless icon.

I currently don't have a PS3 so I kind of agree. Cutting any features is crap but this one here is one I wanted on a wider basis.

Apath

My opinions, are solely that. You can either look into them and try to base some argument or paint a picture to try and make me look bad. You could have pointed out some of my positive posts on MS. I am equal opportunity. I can be disappointed in any company and have expressed that in the past. But I guess since you took offence, that says more about you than me no?

I go by the trends of my interest and XB has been less interesting for a bit minus the LIVE stuff. It's not a unique stance. If I find something interesting, I will post. And yes, Rise of Nightmares does look bad and so does Kinect. I guess one can't joke about such things.

Now, if I was bored, I would look up your history but I don't care enough. Be as you may and try to figure me out if it's that important to you.
He was just pointing out the irony of a PS "purist" trying to call out MS "purists". Like, why call out yourself bro?

KageMaru

So cutting through all the snark in this thread, what do people think the legitimate reason is why this feature was removed?

Each individual in the party required a Netflix subscription so I don't see how this feature would have affected Netflix's bottom line.
Could this be a bug?

Probably saw that a small percentage of members used this feature so it was not worth investing for the new app.

That sucks. I never used it, but I can think of scenario where it would be quite entertaining.

Also, it takes away the one unique thing that the XBL-Gold Only Netflix might've had.
This was a big feature that would actually be a selling point for the next Xbox among me and my friends. I was hoping to see it copied by Nintendo and Sony too.

I guess this makes the chances of me going Sony/Nintendo+PC even more likely.
It depends on the movie.

Chatting and joking during movies like Volcano or The Core is a ton of fun.
Sometimes me and my friends would just turn on an old show like Hey arnold for kicks. It's kind of cool to just revisit something old with friends haha. Comedy movies, bad movies and shows like Southpark are also a blast in party watch.

Z_Y

Probably like how a Sony purist would:

Thread: Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Thread: My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

Thread: If you have a Kinect, Get Rise of Nightmares

Awesome. lol

On subject, dont have a Netflix account and never used this feature BUT this is down right shitty because this was a cool feature that I would have liked to try out. Now I have one less reason to ever sub to Netflix.

Can't see how this feature cost anything to anybody enough to get cut like that...hopefully it is just an oversight on the new app.

bengraven

Used it twice.

1) accidently started an episode of Blues Clues or Sesame Street for my kid in Party
2) accidently accepted a party invite while I was watching Storage Wars

Both times I quickly left because it felt a bit...invasive maybe? I don't know.

LiquidMetal14

He was just pointing out the irony of a PS "purist" trying to call out MS "purists". Like, why call out yourself bro?

A commentator. I'm opinionated and joke like anyone else. It's not a big deal. Mind you, it wasn't me who took the time to select a few posts and embellish an opinion or perception of me. That's what offends me but I'm not here to get that serious or upset. Again, I have posted positively in MS and Nintendo's favor, those posts might not make his original quote selection look so good though :p

And not gonna respond to the other quote a few posts up. I'm not the one with the Halo avatar nor do I demean you for it Z_Y

I'm not insulted nor do I care. I'm sitting here with my son and morning coffee so it's not the type of discussion I want to have right now.

Post below me - I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PS3. And if you look up the amount of posts in Sony games, it's down a lot since I don't have the interest to post because I can't play them. If its sales or something Vita then yes. My original post was in the same line and serious but with jest as some were saying "it's not that important" before I stepped in.

Moving on, if you're offended or are worked up that much, PM me.

Probably like how a Sony purist would:

Thread: Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Thread: My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

Thread: If you have a Kinect, Get Rise of Nightmares

Even though his 'question' was obvious bait, this is Probably the lamest use of post history I've ever seen. His "console crusade" was obvious in that post.

Feature seems like it would have the occasional novelty use though

Odd fanboy back and forth aside...

...I've never used this feature, but it seemed like a pretty cool idea. A shame really.

Z_Y

A commentator. I'm opinionated and joke like anyone else. It's not a big deal. Mind you, it wasn't me who took the time to select a few posts and embellish an opinion or perception of me. That's what offends me but I'm not here to get that serious or upset. Again, I have posted positively in MS and Nintendo's favor, those posts might not make his original quote selection look so good though :p

And not gonna respond to the other quote a few posts up. I'm not the one with the Halo avatar nor do I demean you for it Z_Y

I'm not insulted nor do I care. I'm sitting here with my son and morning coffee so it's not the type of discussion I want to have right now.

Post below me - I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PS3. And if you look up the amount of posts in Sony games, it's down a lot since I don't have the interest to post because I can't play them. If its sales or something Vita then yes. My original post was in the same line and serious but with jest as some were saying "it's not that important" before I stepped in.

You have some issues. This is a thread about a feature being removed from a Netflix app. Read what you are writing.

Think about that for a second.

A Netflix app. damn.

KageMaru

Since it looks like my last post was lost in the console war shenanigans, has anyone checked to see if party streaming was removed from Zune as well?

people actually want to talk with other people while watching a movie or tv show?

fuck that. i just want everyone to shut up when im watching something.

I think it can be a pretty nifty feature, but it isn't that surprising really, people even want to chat with other players while playing a different game which I will never understand.

LiquidMetal14

You have some issues. This is a thread about a feature being removed from a Netflix app. Read what you are writing.

Think about that for a second.

A Netflix app. damn.

And my post history somehow come into question. I was personally attacked because of my original post which didn't go after anyone personally. If you want to post one of those "lol ok comments then spare me that. Your response to RSTEIN was "lol awesome". It's easy to go there when I don't think you know anyone's personal interests unless you talk to them. But it's certainly easy to embellish a point with selective posts. Why not look up posts from last week or 4 years and see how positive I've been high on MS in the past and still am on certain aspects. I happen to be highly into PC right now but that's not the point of this thread. If you want to talk about it, PM

LiquidMetal14

i didn't use it, but I don't like features being removed from a paid service.

I think Anton basically answered the question for us. It still doesn't make sense for that feature to be taken out. Something I've always wanted on these types of services. I know we have SyncTube on PC but it's sloppy.

Just got the new app and it no longer has party viewing. I know I didn't use the option often, but it was nice to have every once in a while. Why do I now want to pay for Gold to watch on Live when th PS3 app is just as good now? Why would they remove a feature? It just makes no sense.

Granted, you can watch Netflix on PS3 without needing a PS Plus account, but man the Netflix interface on it is just awful.

Sucks about the Netflix Party thing. I used it a few times. My friends and I had fun MST3K-ing Batman Forever and Mortal Kombat.

Didn't Netflix recently remove/limit the # of devices that a single account can play to simultaneously?

I believe this did happen, and Netflix claimed it was accidental and a glitch (after the internet grabbed their pitchforks).

Dunlop

Granted, you can watch Netflix on PS3 without needing a PS Plus account, but man the Netflix interface on it is just awful.

Lately it is all I use my PS3 for, I absolutely hate the 360 version of Netflix.

To rub salt in the wound, I've been using the 360 version while I tested the new dash and noticed last night that it burnt the netflix logo into my plasma
LLShC.gif

fortunately my tv has a utility for that (scrolling white bars) that seems to have fixed it, I was close to a stroke...

Lately it is all I use my PS3 for, I absolutely hate the 360 version of Netflix.

To rub salt in the wound, I've been using the 360 version while I tested the new dash and noticed last night that it burnt the netflix logo into my plasma
LLShC.gif

fortunately my tv has a utility for that (scrolling white bars) that seems to have fixed it, I was close to a stroke...

D:

What does it have the logo in the corner the whole time or something?!?!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

dude, calm down, jeez. It's all in good fun.

Dunlop

D:

What does it have the logo in the corner the whole time or something?!?!

not sure, this is not the updated version from today (I cant install it). I am assuming my kids left it at a title screen but the screen should have dimmed from the 360 plus the TV itself is supposed to be protected against it.

The top right was burnt with "netflix" and the bottom right I could see the 360 icon, the only reason I had noticed it was I turned off the 360 with the lights off in the room and the tv still on. Turned it off for like 15 minutes and it was still there, the biggest problem was now that I knew it was there I couldn't unsee it when the tv was playing anything

KuGsj.gif

Dan Yo

Banned
This is bullshit.

I used this all of the time with friends. We loved picking a few B movies a week and just laughing/ commenting the whole way through.

I was in the middle of a television season that I was watching a few episodes a night with a friend of mine after she moved away and we couldn't watch together anymore.

Why in the FUCK did they see fit to remove this? Was it really a burden on them to keep it up? Does it cost them in any way?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I never used it, thought it might be cool, but never used it.

Sucks for those who did, but I wonder how many people did actually use it.

x-Lundz-x

Fuck this, me and my buddy and watching Battlestar right now and it's awesome to be able to chat with someone about the show as it goes along.

He was in the beta update and we could no longer stream, we thought it was just because of the different dashboard versions.

You are telling me this is a feature of the new dashboard and we will not ever be able to party watch any more? This is fucking bullshit!!!

Fuck this, me and my buddy and watching Battlestar right now and it's awesome to be able to chat with someone about the show as it goes along.

He was in the beta update and we could no longer stream, we thought it was just because of the different dashboard versions.

You are telling me this is a feature of the new dashboard and we will not ever be able to party watch any more? This is fucking bullshit!!!
I'm not very happy about this, either. I am in a LDR and this is a commonly used feature for our together activities. :-(

Netflix, why are you so bad now?!

The more I think about this, the more information I want.

Is the OP trying to party with someone that doesn't have the new dashboard? Or is it new dashboard to new dashboard? And we are talking about the Preview Program still, so I want to cast some shadow of a doubt with so little details in the OP.

Also, I am finding rumblings that the new Netflix app for Xbox 360 has 5.1 sound. Finally!

Could this be a bug?

more people watching their own stream = more bandwidth = more cost for Netflix

like how now in tveps, they show you the prompt for the next episode as soon as the credits roll... imagine how much they save when millions of people skip a minute of a video stream

KageMaru

more people watching their own stream = more bandwidth = more cost for Netflix

like how now in tveps, they show you the prompt for the next episode as soon as the credits roll... imagine how much they save when millions of people skip a minute of a video stream

I still don't see how this would indicate this party streaming resulted in higher cost for Netflix. There is little difference between 3 people streaming in a party or streaming separately other than the fact that they 3 would be synced up in a party.

DR3AM

wtf is this shit, my BFF and i watch a tv show/movie togehter almost every night. the party option is still there but when you click on it, it asks me to download netflix again.

we can just go into party chat and start the same movie at the same time i guess.

edit, i have the new dash, my friend does not, that could be the problem.

Amir0x

Banned
i actually used this feature a few times. hilarious when drunk with e-friends. Only bad movies, but we actually had good fun watching a few good ones too.

I didn't use it that often but taking away features = lame

Eusis

I still don't see how this would indicate this party streaming resulted in higher cost for Netflix. There is little difference between 3 people streaming in a party or streaming separately other than the fact that they 3 would be synced up in a party.
If anything it's an extra cost for Microsoft, but then it'd be more practical to eliminate party chat... and more importantly it'd be a dick move on their part after jacking the fees up last year. Not unless that extra $10 is divided up between a lot of people.

ZeroCoin

I never used this feature but I thought it was a pretty neat inclusion when it was first announced. I hate it when features get removed without any notification or reasoning to the public.

Ah, here's some info. In September, Netflix made a push to limit device streaming:

Sounds like this is in line with their measures to save money.

Well, shit, this is the bigger story here. I love party streaming but fuck if I'm not pissed that I can't stream to two different devices at the same time.
(That is what this is saying right..?)

I stream in my room while my dad streams in his most of the time. I can't do that unless I have two DVD's out? Fuck that shit, etc.

Satchel

Banned
Seems strange.

Mainly because MS has generally done the opposite this gen and generally ADDED stuff like this.

If they did this intentionally, it seems like a dumb move, but it could be a mistake. We don't have Netflix down here anyway so this basically only affects a handful or countries doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure its already done this...

no.
in the previous version, when the episode ended, it would put you at the episode list with the next episode selected.

in this, while the episode is still playing, when the credit roll hits for the episode, it puts the video in a PIP box and has up several options and playing the next episode is the default option. you can also go to the episode list and rate the episode.

Top Bottom