• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Bladenic

Just started playing this last night. Wow, IN LOVE so far. Some of the dialogue is LMAO but I'm assuming it was intentional. Chris is my favorite (and he's cute) so far. Only up to Chapter 2 when you control Sam (my other favorite). The voices unfortunately sound muffled, I didn't want to play with subtitles but I feel obligated to because I can't understand what the characters say at times.

And the environments are insane. Stunning and atmospheric. Like, better than any RE game minus REmake. Can't wait to play more. I think I'm just gonna play through for fun, and whoever dies, dies. I can do like everyone dies or everyone lives later. Right now, I want Sam, Chris, Ashley, and Mike to live. The rest, well, Matt and Jess SCREAM "first people to die." Josh screams "crazy brother who may be the killer" so I can't wait to see how the game develops. Emily is just a delicious bitch who's played by the actress who played the crazy bitch Amanda on Shameless, how fitting!

Vic_Viper

Just picked this up finally. Been wanting to play since I saw the Giant Bomb qls.

Quick question, how do I unlock the bonus features? Like the making of and stuff? Is it unlocked after finishing the game?

Vic_Viper

iirc they're unlocked as you progress through the game.

Ok kool, thanks.

Is it possible to save Jess lol? I did everything right and she still died, atleast I'm pretty sure she died when that elevator crashed. Haven't seen her body yet.

Been flying through the game and it's been awesome so far. A little dark in some places when trying to get around the house and can't see where I'm going but other than that I've been really enjoying it.

I know I've read you can save everyone but man I don't think I want too lol.

Is there any DLC worth getting? Any story stuff?

Dreez

Holy sheit what an awesome game.

Only survived with 3: Matt, Sam & Josh
who becomes a wendigo
. Felt bad about
blowing up Mike LOL

The deaths are pretty entertaining but also some of the most gruesome I've seen in a video game or most media for that matter. Especially the
Josh tripping out sequence
wow.

What makes the deaths entertaining is when you fuck up or make the wrong choice, it happens so fast haha. Also makes me want to replay to go back and make the right choice.

Just bought the game : what the hell is up with the sound and voices ? They sound weird, muffled and low quality...
Does the patch solve this matter ?
(playing with headphones connected to the DS4 btw)

Just beat the game.

I liked it and how it felt like a basic teen horror movie

However I am super disappointed how the game doesn't make it easy to replay it, you can't just skip right to the decisions so you'd have to replay the whole game if you want to save everyone :/

Lime

Sorry for the bump but does anyone know if there are rumblings about a PS4 PRO patch or mode? The game was first party in a sense, so it would be pretty swell to have better IQ or framerate or the like.

MaKTaiL

Just finished this for the first. LOVED the game!

The Wendigo storyline was really interesting. It all made sense in the end. The miners that got trapped and had to turn to canibalism to survive and became Wendigos. The guy on the mountain that worked hard to trap them all. One of those scapes and tracks Hanna and Beth. Hanna becomes trapped on the cave with dead Beth and decides to become a canibal as well.

Josh was clearly schizofrenic. His plot to trick his friends into the Serial Killer threat was the way he found to blame everyone for abandoning Beth and Hanna. His dad was a movie director so that's how Josh learned how to do all those special effects to scare his friends.

In my playthrough 3 people died: Sam, Emily and Ashley. Sam was the worst for me because it was stupid. My controller was steady yet the game didn't register it and she was seen by the Wendigo. I got mad at that part. She was my favorite character.

I think the only part of the game that I didn't like was the psychiatrist part between episodes. It became clear at the end that it was Josh consciousness (his good side if you will) trying to keep him in check. But I think it became a wasted storyline that didn't add much to the whole scenario. I was expecting a bigger reveal but I'm fine with what we got.

Anyway, loved the game. I will try to get the platine trophy soon.

PS.: Don't mind any english errors I might have made in this post. It's not my first language. ;)

Holy shit guys, this game is insane in the best possible way. I just started chapter 5 and I am fully shook. I tried my best to keep everyone alive
but I ended up saving Ashley and killing Josh with the saws and I feel really shitty about it. I have to know, was there a way to save both?

Sorry for the bump but does anyone know if there are rumblings about a PS4 PRO patch or mode? The game was first party in a sense, so it would be pretty swell to have better IQ or framerate or the like.
I've not read anything. I've not even heard anything about Pro support for Rush of Blood.

I am, however, tickled pink by the impressions from first-timers to this game! I can't overstate how great Until Dawn is and that's not even getting into the story/writing/directing/horror-genre-love-letter it is!

Holy shit guys, this game is insane in the best possible way. I just started chapter 5 and I am fully shook. I tried my best to keep everyone alive
but I ended up saving Ashley and killing Josh with the saws and I feel really shitty about it. I have to know, was there a way to save both?
Got to chapter 7.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hi. I recently got a PS4 and Until Dawn, and HOOOOOLY FUUCKKK this game is amazing.

I started this game completely on the dark, without reading anything about it, and I'm enjoying SO MUCH!

Just got to chapter 7. I guess the game progresses very different for everyone? I have only 3 people alive, 4 hours until dawn.
Sam (my favorite)
is still alive, so all is good.

Sadly I can onnly play this at night (to be more immersive), and now I must sleep.

One of my favorite games of all time already.

One of my favorite games of all time already.
giphy.gif

I just finished the game. Holy crap!!!

The game gets very interesting starting from chapter 7. I loved the twists. I thought I would end up with only Matt and Jessica killed, but I got Ashley dead at the cave, Josh got killed my Hannah because Sam failed to pick up a vital document (I wonder what...) and at the end Sam went for the lights, killing Emily and Mike. Mike, noooooo!!!

I like this game so much. People that are happy with the shitty turn Resident Evil 7 took probably never played Until Dawn, because I rather have a RE7 in that style than what we have now (of course, being less linear and giving more control to the player, but being spooky and all).

I will try to collect the missing items and watch the extra content. Damn, I love those small extras.

Actually I started to feel more scared after we learn that
the wendigos cannot be killed, pretty much. They are indestructible and chase you forever.
That chapter with Mike was preeeeetty intense.

I want a sequel! (different group, different story)

Fbh

So I also got this during the flash sale. Started playing today and its pretty fun so far.

But the dialogs sound terrible. It doesn't sound like the people are there. Best way I could describe it is that it sounds as if you are watching a celphone recording of a TV playing the game. Really weird, because the rest of the audio (music, sound effects) sounds normal.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Got this during the flash sale and barely got around to it today and I loved it. Finished it in one sitting too. I just couldn't put it down.

The only thing I didn't understand is that a character died because another character didn't pick up a vital document. Anyone know what I ideally had to do there?

Teggy

Got this during the flash sale and barely got around to it today and I loved it. Finished it in one sitting too. I just couldn't put it down.

The only thing I didn't understand is that a character died because another character didn't pick up a vital document. Anyone know what I ideally had to do there?

If it's what I'm thinking of,
Sam finds the diary in the cave so she can tell Josh that one of the wendigos is his sister. He recognizes her by her tattoo and she takes him away instead of killing him.

lunchtoast

Played this with my girlfriend yesterday. She's not really into gaming but she really enjoyed watching this making decisions with me. She was also impressed with the graphics.

I also enjoyed the actors in it. Only thought Hayden was the one I knew, but also recognized that Mr. Robot guy, the prison break guy and was surprised to see Emily is the girl from Superstore.

Haven't beaten the game yet but have already made some dire choices...

Kid Ying

Played this with my girlfriend yesterday. She's not really into gaming but she really enjoyed watching this making decisions with me. She was also impressed with the graphics.

I also enjoyed the actors in it. Only thought Hayden was the one I knew, but also recognized that Mr. Robot guy, the prison break guy and was surprised to see Emily is the girl from Superstore.

Haven't beaten the game yet but have already made some dire choices...
Same. My girlfriend really enjoyed it. Se finished last night and it was a ride. Even though it was my first playthrough, i got almost all of them alive, except Josh. Then i went to get him just to ser the post credits scene. :(

It was really good. I got very nervous when i had to make that choice at chapter five. Only saved Ashley because Josh rubbed me the wrong way ever since the start of the game and i thought something was weird. Still, wasn't easy. It's quite rare to see a game toying with my emotions like that. Damn

cj_iwakura

Finished in one day. Very gripping stuff. I saved Tiffany, Sam, Chris, and the bitch.
The graphics are insane. Especially on the doctor and
flamethrower guy.

I'm playing this with my bf for the first time over the last few days

It's amazingly fun!

I was surprised, the prologue chapter looks pretty horrible but soon as the game proper gets into its stride visually it's incredible!

I'm guessing the game is pretty non linear in structure, roughly how many endings are there? Also, I'm guessing you can't understand the whole story via just one play through?

I think we are coming to the end of our first play through

How was is game received at released? Chances of a sequel?

Peterthumpa

What's up with the audio in this game? Voices sound like they're coming from a cheap radio instead of my sound system, while the bass is too heavy. I've found numerous reports of similar issues on Google, so I guess has never been fixed and won't be, right?

It completely kills the mood of the game.

Replicant

What's up with the audio in this game? Voices sound like they're coming from a cheap radio instead of my sound system, while the bass is too heavy. I've found numerous reports of similar issues on Google, so I guess has never been fixed and won't be, right?

It completely kills the mood of the game.

It's only an issue for the prologue. The rest of the game are fine.

rulerk1

Can someone explain how to use the totems. The things they foretell rarely make sense to me especially the good fortune ones. How staring death in my face a good fortune

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can someone explain how to use the totems. The things they foretell rarely make sense to me especially the good fortune ones. How staring death in my face a good fortune

they are supposed to help you make the right choice at certain points in the game to avoid those deaths. i didnt really pay attention to them though

rulerk1

they are supposed to help you make the right choice at certain points in the game to avoid those deaths. i didnt really pay attention to them though
Some seem kind of vague. I get that is the point but it confuses me more than it helps. I wikid them recently the hints are terrible for the guidance and good faith ones

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some seem kind of vague. I get that is the point but it confuses me more than it helps. I wikid them recently the hints are terrible for the guidance and good faith ones

i think that's kind of by design. part of the fun is making those split second decisions. don't think too much about it and just enjoy the ride. :)

jmartoine

Picked this up on PS+ and finished it last night.

Really enjoyed the game but it kind of fell apart in the final act when the more paranormal stuff started occurring. I was totally on board until the reveal of the Psycho and then the game lost me.

Going to be fun replaying it and seeing how the Butterfly Effect changes things throughout and I wish there were more similar games to this. It felt like a horror/ slasher version of Heavy Rain but more refined, I would love to see the technology move forward into other genres so we get more interactive storytelling.

ty_hot

Just started it, controls fell clunky at first, which reminded me of Heavy Rain. Just played 15 minutes and
got my first 2 deaths hahaha
. Plot seems stupid but I dont care much, lets see how it goes.

T-0800

Bought this ages ago but only played about an hour. Finally went back to it this weekend and finished it. Really enjoyed it. Runs much better on the Pro with boost mode than it does on standard PS4.

I wish I had a PSVR to play the next one. So much money though for an add on that I might not even like. Wish I knew someone with one.

KeRaSh

Just finished this and I don't really get why people are so in love with this game. I'm not saying it is bad but the writing, (facial) animations and controls were really bad. There were multiple occasions where I had to hold the controller still and the scene failed even though I didn't move a single muscle. At the end it even failed while the controller was sitting on a table untouched. That death right before the end really pissed me off.

Most decisions I had to make felt completely random. I rarely felt in control of who lived and who died and at that point I might as well watch a movie. The totems seemed like a cool idea but they were't much help so looking for them felt pointless.

The environments and atmosphere were perfect. They really nailed that. I also enjoyed the story but in the end this was only an OK filler game for me. A perfect PS+ freebie.

I do hope they make another one with some refinements. I think they got a great formula that just needs a little polish.

Halfway through this as an October scary game...

Things have gotten quite intense!

I'm impressed with the camera angles and general presentation of the package. And it looks FANTASTIC.

And I'm kind of amazed at the actual actors and actresses they got for the game, to be honest.

Top Bottom