• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

/\

Speaking of, I finally got the Gloom armor set last night. Looks pretty sweet!

Now for Biorr's set. (can I get this set without having to take him down for it?)

edit: arrow fail

LiK

oracrest said:
/\

Now for Biorr's set. (can I get this set without having to take him down for it?)

yea, my character is female and only the Gloom Set looks badass on her. I don't like any of the other female/unisex armor sets. kinda wish your character could wear any type of armor.

So, I got this game a few weeks ago. I have been busy with school though and have not had time for more than a couple hours of play. I started first as a female thief, but got owned hard so I restarted as a male knight. The better defense means I can compensate for my suckyness by being able to take a few more hits. I don't know whether this is a sustainable tactic for later levels, though. Moreover, I miss the bow you get to start with as a thief.

Anyway, I am really enjoying myself (really digging the atmosphere) and making (very) slow progress. Currently, I always die at the dragons on 1-1 since I get greedy and try to get all the items. On my last session, I found this guy in armor and saved him from some attackers, but got killed by the dragons shortly afterwards. Do I have to fight off these these attackers on all run-throughs of the level, or am I considered done with him now that I have saved him once and need not concern myself with him again? Am I correct in assuming I will meet him again later on?

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. There seem to be so many possibilities for equipment and builds that I am feeling a bit lost. Even so, I don't want to look up advice on gamefaqs or the like. That feels a bit like cheating, for some reason. Also, am I the only one who finds the equipment screen to be a bit confusing?

LiK

^ the enemies respawn so yea, the knight you saved will be fighting them again. so he might get killed if he's overwhelmed without your help.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
/\

Biorr set is not worth it, it makes you look fat!

Gloom armor is my favorite armor

canova said:

I thought it was the ultimate goal of every DS player to be able to roll in that armor. Some day....some day.

oracrest

canova said:

Haha, I have only seen the loading screen with the worm's eye view of Biorr so far.

My favorite has to be whats his nuts from the end of world 5. I seem to like all the armor sets with helmets that cover the face completely.

More than anything else, the character (or armor, rather) design reminds me of the old Arthurian legend paintings of N.C. Wyeth. Good stuff!!!

Boys_King_Arthur_-_N_C_Wyeth_-_p162.jpg

Boys_King_Arthur_-_N_C_Wyeth_-_p306.jpg

Prezhulio

4.5 hours and probably 30k lost souls on 1-2 and still haven't beat the tower knight. at the last encounter he had maybe 1/20th left and i just run out of moon grass. so, i feel like this will make the rest of the game drag out in the same manner since i won't upgrade for shit (comparatively). do people just run and get their souls if they're dying a lot, then backtrack to the nexus to spend them or what? not that it would matter because i lost them in the same 1400 soul increment after figuring out the fucking dragon pattern. i don't think this is for me....

then why the fuck can't i stop? :/

Canova

Banned
Prezhulio said:
4.5 hours and probably 30k lost souls on 1-2 and still haven't beat the tower knight. at the last encounter he had maybe 1/20th left and i just run out of moon grass. so, i feel like this will make the rest of the game drag out in the same manner since i won't upgrade for shit (comparatively). do people just run and get their souls if they're dying a lot, then backtrack to the nexus to spend them or what? not that it would matter because i lost them in the same 1400 soul increment after figuring out the fucking dragon pattern. i don't think this is for me....

then why the fuck can't i stop? :/

have you done 2-1? there's a lot of upgrade materials there, and you can spam the 2-1 boss with arrows

ZeroRay

Prezhulio said:
uhh how do i get there, all the archstones are sealed.

lol no wonder you're getting your ass kicked since you can't level up.

Although I could of beaten the Tower Knight at the starting level. ;)

oracrest

/\ /\ /\ Prezhulio,

don't worry about souls if you're trying to defeat a boss. the Tower Knight gave me a tough time to defeat both playthroughs, but now that I have his strategy down, and know right when to dodge (a key to defeating him, especially when conserving healing items.)

If you know when to dodge, and what he does to telegraph his various attacks, then you'll be good. better hint:
for me, a melee character, I found that getting close to him kept him from doing his more devastating attacks. Also, kill the archers right off the bat.

Canova

Banned
that 30k, could've done you wonder.

When the first time i played this game, I researched the heck out of it. there's no other game that forced me to research this much. respect!

Prezhulio

jesus christ....i'm going to chalk this up to the equivalent of when my roommate overwrote all of my fallout 3 saves, except its my own dumbass fault this time. i went to the wiki briefly, and yeah, maybe after 1 hr of being destroyed in 1-2 i should of gone back to it. but really, this game does a piss poor job explaining most things. oh well, it's still addicting as hell even if i'm terrible.

Canova

Banned
Prezhulio said:
jesus christ....i'm going to chalk this up to the equivalent of when my roommate overwrote all of my fallout 3 saves, except its my own dumbass fault this time. i went to the wiki briefly, and yeah, maybe after 1 hr of being destroyed in 1-2 i should of gone back to it. but really, this game does a piss poor job explaining most things. oh well, it's still addicting as hell even if i'm terrible.

nah, this game don't golden-spoon-fed you. you have to do everything on your own. that's what separates this game from the rest of the games this generation

george_us

LiK said:
yea, my character is female and only the Gloom Set looks badass on her. I don't like any of the other female/unisex armor sets. kinda wish your character could wear any type of armor.
I put the Gloom Helmet along with the Binded Set on my character. She looks pretty ballin.'

ashism

Community still really going on this?

Thinking about firing it up again. Insanely hard, am I gonna be outclassed or just in an empty server alone? First couple months of launch we're great, then I got real busy.

Canova

Banned
ashism said:
Community still really going on this?

Thinking about firing it up again. Insanely hard, am I gonna be outclassed or just in an empty server alone? First couple months of launch we're great, then I got real busy.

I'm mostly in EU server, and I got invaded 5 times this afternoon alone (SL 125)

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
Speaking of invasions....After clearing this ng+ on few characters I decided to do some more pvp. I really love it when I get invaded its a cool challenge I like, but lately this week when I am invading im getting about 3 out every 4 attempts stopped by the "invadee" PSing out. Its annoying as hell, just disable your connection if you don't like being invaded for real. /rant off. lol

RyanDG

I have completely avoided all walk throughs so far. I have to say that this is a rather interesting experience. I've played for about 3 hours and finally beat that bastard red eyed knight by unequipping all of my heavy armor and dancing around him and stabbing him with a pointy little dagger that has no range. Fun times.

Dizzle24

5-2 can suck my balls.

Died so many times yesterday and wanted to throw the disc in the trash :lol

Going to attempt it again right now.

Dizzle24 said:
5-2 can suck my balls.

Died so many times yesterday and wanted to throw the disc in the trash :lol

Going to attempt it again right now.
I actually died more on 5-1 from fucking falling than I did in 5-2. You do have a ring of poison resistance, right? Also, the black leather armor? Both of those make it damn near impossible to die from the poison.

Dizzle24

Solstice said:
I actually died more on 5-1 from fucking falling than I did in 5-2. You do have a ring of poison resistance, right? Also, the black leather armor? Both of those make it damn near impossible to die from the poison.

It's not the poison, it's the sludge preventing me from evading from the Giant Depraved Ones.

Gravijah

This should be arriving in my mail... today. In fact... -checks mail- OK, tomorrow. :(

Anyway, is there a good resource on stat distribution? I'm very OCD about it and really hate fucking up.

Coldsnap

How come this game sometimes takes 30 seconds to check trophies when loading up? Playstation 3 is so janky most the times

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Dizzle24 said:
It's not the poison, it's the sludge preventing me from evading from the Giant Depraved Ones.

Not using bows? There are always ways to "trick" the depraved ones by hiding behind solid objects, like the tree on one of the islands. Shoot an arrow, run back to the island, lure him there and find a good spot to chip his health down while he's stuck trying to run through the tree. The later ones are trickier, but if you use the small bridge near them (behind you when you see them, it's divided into two or three parts, I forget) strategically, it's possible to use something similar to the island strategy with similar results.

Magic is also usable, but a bit trickier since you can't aim freely.

For melee, try to find a semi-open space, like a small island. Just move around them, learn their attack patterns and chip their health down.

Got my Amazon copy in today, purchased the game yet again, going to start up as Temple Knight, what stats should I burn my souls with this class?

I spent maybe an hour yesterday trying, semi-successfully, to make an attractive-looking male character. The best I could do was to make a barbarian (hence, shirtless) redhead who looks kind of like Robert Pattinson if he combed his hair and buffed up a bit.

Anyways, the character creation system is kind of terrible in spite of how detailed it is, or at least it's very, very hard to make a character that doesn't look super fugly unless you fiddle with it a lot or just wear a face-covering helmet all the time. (Or the assassin's mask, which makes any character automatically cooler-looking.)

Playing as a barbarian is tons of fun, by the way, just running around half-naked and smashing people in the face with a club. And I feel so much less sucky at this game the second time through; I breezed through 1-1 with no armor on and no regenerating magic unlike last time with my wimpy royal. The game actually forced me to be better at it, which is rare for a stat-heavy RPG kind of thing. Man, Demon's Souls is so awesome.

icarus-daedelus said:
I spent maybe an hour yesterday trying, semi-successfully, to make an attractive-looking male character. The best I could do was to make a barbarian (hence, shirtless) redhead who looks kind of like Robert Pattinson if he combed his hair and buffed up a bit.

Anyways, the character creation system is kind of terrible in spite of how detailed it is, or at least it's very, very hard to make a character that doesn't look super fugly unless you fiddle with it a lot or just wear a face-covering helmet all the time. (Or the assassin's mask, which makes any character automatically cooler-looking.)

Playing as a barbarian is tons of fun, by the way, just running around half-naked and smashing people in the face with a club. And I feel so much less sucky at this game the second time through; I breezed through 1-1 with no armor on and no regenerating magic unlike last time with my wimpy royal. The game actually forced me to be better at it, which is rare for a stat-heavy RPG kind of thing. Man, Demon's Souls is so awesome.

Exactly what I do.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
icarus-daedelus said:

Yeah, I love the barbarian class. I used the Bastard Sword found in 1-1 on the Phalanx and he went down really quick. Fun.

Canova

Banned
Gravijah said:
This should be arriving in my mail... today. In fact... -checks mail- OK, tomorrow. :(

Anyway, is there a good resource on stat distribution? I'm very OCD about it and really hate fucking up.

for a first timer, I suggest you build your character as you please.

For your subsequent characters, then that's when you custom fit your character, such as DEX build, or STR build

here's a guide (I suggest use this only after you beat the game, otherwise it will ruin the pleasure)
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

canova said:
for a first timer, I suggest you build your character as you please.

For your subsequent characters, then that's when you custom fit your character, such as DEX build, or STR build

here's a guide (I suggest use this only after you beat the game, otherwise it will ruin the pleasure)
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

Listen to this man. If you use the wiki straight from the beginning, it takes a lot of the magic and challenge out of the game.

oracrest

Playing through Stonefang tunnel again, and I spotted another city off in the distance that I missed noticing in the first playthrough. Best view is if you ride the elevator up to the boulder throwing guys. Picture is blown out since the area where the city is is pretty dark, but it is very cool to check out in game, a cool little set of ruins off in the distance.

932ef976.jpg

I thought this was a good shot too, where you get the Copper Key from.

1b277504.jpg

ACE 1991

Well crap. I re bought demon's souls, and originally played the US version. What I ordered ended up being the JP version, and now I can't connect to the servers or load any of my saves. Is there anyway to do this, or am I boned?

RyanDG

I know I'm really, really late to Demon's Souls here... But I have to start gushing over this game and you guys get to be the happy recipients of my gushes.

As I was struggling through the Tower Knight in 1-2 and dealing with just how much From Software has really thrown you into the game, I started to get some very distinct flashbacks to playing the very first Zelda game on the NES when I was only about 7 years old or so (I'm going to start dating myself as a gamer now). I remember getting lost in that game for hours and hours - trying to find hidden passages, never being quite sure what was going to be around the next corner, and struggling against bosses in dungeons that only give you minimal 'clues' on how to go forward.

The same feelings that the first Zelda put me through (elation, anxiety, anticipation, accomplishment), is something that I have considered to be the pinnacle of my gaming moments and is probably the reason I'm still a gamer some 20 years later.

However, with that said, it is also a feeling that I've only had re-created in just a handful of games in the last 2 decades. Demon's Souls is doing it for me and is an incredibly special experience (especially for anyone remembering traversing Hyrule before the ages of internet cheat sites and designers basically leading you around by the nose with big flashing arrows and no sense of having to really scour for the next objective). Why did I not play this game sooner? :(

Also the Tower Knight is dead. I loved that fight. I'm feeling like such a bad ass right now. :lol

oracrest

I finally got summoned by the Old Monk last night.

Dammit if I don't suck a lot at pvp. I like playing the slower Knight in the single player, but other players just run all over me in 1 on 1 :/

I have yet to kill another phantom when it's just me and him.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
I finally got summoned by the Old Monk last night.

Dammit if I don't suck a lot at pvp. I like playing the slower Knight in the single player, but other players just run all over me in 1 on 1 :/

I have yet to kill another phantom when it's just me and him.

Invaders come prepare, they custom their character specifically to kill other players.

Sometimes its not about winning or losing the battle, in this case about it's the excitement of the hunting or being hunted down. When I see that red message flashes on the screen, I got excited, every single time. such a rush! I always enjoy my PvP encounter whether I win or lose

cquinones

Neo Member
So... after running through 2-1 about 3 times, I end up dying at the boss battle. Will the bloodstain be right outside the boss area?

Please tell me that's the case. :(

oracrest

cquinones said:
So... after running through 2-1 about 3 times, I end up dying at the boss battle. Will the bloodstain be right outside the boss area?

Please tell me that's the case. :(

Nope, it will be inside the arena.

Top Bottom