• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

I should really get back into this game when I have the time/money, my guy is all set up for basically every sub-capital combat ship, and I'd love to try out the revamped cruisers, tier 3 Battlecruisers, and so on. Hopefully this summer I'll have a chance.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just curious: How long does it take a new player to get into the various aspects of the game?

I was looking to get into mining for a little while.

Tideas

Banned
Just curious: How long does it take a new player to get into the various aspects of the game?

i just started, but really, it depends on what you do. some things, like pvp or bounty hunting, it'll take a while as you need to develop your skills.

but salvaging, explorations, mining, you can do that immediately as you enter the gAME

Well the good thing about mining if you're interested in that is with the recent winter expansion that just released early December they introduced a specialized mining frigate.

PvP just in frigates wouldn't take too long, and you could join RvB to get a taste for that.

One thing that I did a little bit of when I was new was ninja salvaging, where you scan down people running level 4 missions in high sec and salvage their wrecks, possibly looting some and running if the value of the dropped modules is high enough. Just salvaging the wrecks isn't enough to flag you for any sort of PvP, so if they shoot at you, they'll just get themselves blown up by Concord.

May not be quite as viable now with the advent of salvager drones, but definitely worth a shot.

And if interested, I could always go back and run level 4 missions myself for awhile and have you salvage them, rather than me returning in a Noctis after killing everything. The ISK/hr you'd make doing that would be more than most options new players would have. Not to mention the split on bounties.

There are some other interesting things you can do with more than one player as well. You just have to start playing and find out :p

I think I may be in for a bit of a long haul as CCP sent me an email the other day with an offer to pay $30 for 3 months, the same lower price that got me to resub in the first place, which is a pretty good deal. Not sure how long it would take me to get to the point where I could PLEX reliably each month, at least without going into the poorhouse. Would probably have to move to null to do so, or spend an ungodly amount of time playing. Been thinking about joining Dreddit for some time, but I've always still wanted to explore what else I could do in high and low sec before making that jump.

Tideas

Banned
Well the good thing about mining if you're interested in that is with the recent winter expansion that just released early December they introduced a specialized mining frigate.

PvP just in frigates wouldn't take too long, and you could join RvB to get a taste for that.

One thing that I did a little bit of when I was new was ninja salvaging, where you scan down people running level 4 missions in high sec and salvage their wrecks, possibly looting some and running if the value of the dropped modules is high enough. Just salvaging the wrecks isn't enough to flag you for any sort of PvP, so if they shoot at you, they'll just get themselves blown up by Concord.

May not be quite as viable now with the advent of salvager drones, but definitely worth a shot.

And if interested, I could always go back and run level 4 missions myself for awhile and have you salvage them, rather than me returning in a Noctis after killing everything. The ISK/hr you'd make doing that would be more than most options new players would have. Not to mention the split on bounties.

There are some other interesting things you can do with more than one player as well. You just have to start playing and find out :p

I think I may be in for a bit of a long haul as CCP sent me an email the other day with an offer to pay $30 for 3 months, the same lower price that got me to resub in the first place, which is a pretty good deal. Not sure how long it would take me to get to the point where I could PLEX reliably each month, at least without going into the poorhouse. Would probably have to move to null to do so, or spend an ungodly amount of time playing. Been thinking about joining Dreddit for some time, but I've always still wanted to explore what else I could do in high and low sec before making that jump.

salvager drones? what is this?

I should really get back into this game when I have the time/money, my guy is all set up for basically every sub-capital combat ship, and I'd love to try out the revamped cruisers, tier 3 Battlecruisers, and so on. Hopefully this summer I'll have a chance.

Right there with ya'. I was about 3 skills skills away from my Tengu when I called it quits. Had a blast hanging out in the RvB Corp then eventually joined a Nullsec Corp... drama incurred and I bailed. Going lonewolf bounty hunter sounds like it would be a lot of fun...

Tideas

Banned
i finally finished BC5. Now, finally, time to start training my core skills!

If anyone wants to run mission together, add me.

tideas angelus. i'm in gallante space atm

i finally finished BC5. Now, finally, time to start training my core skills!

If anyone wants to run mission together, add me.

tideas angelus. i'm in gallante space atm

I've been hanging out in Caldari Minmatar space usually (proximity to Jita!), but I'll see if I can make my way over there. Low-sec escapades were kind of a bust (only really found 1 site in two days of looking).

Will EVEmail you to see if we can iron out the details.

Tideas

Banned
I've been hanging out in Caldari Minmatar space usually (proximity to Jita!), but I'll see if I can make my way over there. Low-sec escapades were kind of a bust (only really found 1 site in two days of looking).

Will EVEmail you to see if we can iron out the details.

ah i'm near dodixie atm, running lvl 3 missions with my cane

ah i'm near dodixie atm, running lvl 3 missions with my cane

I'm capable of running level 4s in my Raven, but wouldn't have the rep to do it there. Could either bring my Noctis, or come over in a Drake or my Tengu. Think I left my one Drake in Rens though. Tengu is docked in Jita.

I have a ton of skills in my queue right now since I'm building up my gunnery and armor tanking skills (all my shield stuff is pretty much maxed to the point where anymore is getting into some really small diminishing returns). So odd (but fun) to have more than 1-2 skills in queue at a time. Mostly doing it since with my tiericide prep, I can now fly every race's (at least) Tech 1 ships through Battlecruisers, but didn't have the armor tanking or turret skills to go with them.

Still undecided if I just keep working on skills for my Tengu/exploration, or if I take a week out to skill a Frigate V for Cov Ops ships. And if I do that, not sure if I go with Caldari, or Amarr. The Amarr Cov Ops ship looks better, but Caldari Frigate V would probably be more useful in the short-medium run, since I already have a good portion of the complimentary skills for Caldari ships (of all kinds) built up. Minmatar is also an option, with the Rifter always being popular, and Frigate V would benefit that.

Decisions, decisions...

Tideas

Banned
I have a ton of skills in my queue right now since I'm building up my gunnery and armor tanking skills (all my shield stuff is pretty much maxed to the point where anymore is getting into some really small diminishing returns). So odd (but fun) to have more than 1-2 skills in queue at a time. Mostly doing it since with my tiericide prep, I can now fly every race's (at least) Tech 1 ships through Battlecruisers, but didn't have the armor tanking or turret skills to go with them.

Still undecided if I just keep working on skills for my Tengu/exploration, or if I take a week out to skill a Frigate V for Cov Ops ships. And if I do that, not sure if I go with Caldari, or Amarr. The Amarr Cov Ops ship looks better, but Caldari Frigate V would probably be more useful in the short-medium run, since I already have a good portion of the complimentary skills for Caldari ships (of all kinds) built up. Minmatar is also an option, with the Rifter always being popular, and Frigate V would benefit that.

Decisions, decisions...

yeah i'm a min toon so I'm training everything to be able to fly min. i wanna start doing lvl 4s though so that I can make some frigging money. for some reason lvl 3s still does'nt igve as much money as I hope it'd give.

Training all of these skills up to 4 though.

Tideas

Banned
finally finished BC5. gonna train up my drone skills now before i start training to fly a BS. another 9 days left before i can do tech 2 drones bleh

Just started playing again. I cannot find anything about my super old account, that had like 20m sp or something, but I'm on my 3m sp account. Just finishing up Heavy Missiles 5 so I can fully T2 drake for some farming. Does anyone on gaf actively play? Do we have any sort of community?

Just downloaded trial and have been diddling around. man there are some intricate menu options in this game. i spent 3 hours doing the training mission for radars.

im taking things slow because i dont want to be overwhelmed. dont want to join a clan yet because it might have force me to have to keep up with people or meet expectations. i wanna just login once in a while without the stress of e-drama.

Just downloaded trial and have been diddling around. man there are some intricate menu options in this game. i spent 3 hours doing the training mission for radars.

im taking things slow because i dont want to be overwhelmed. dont want to join a clan yet because it might have force me to have to keep up with people or meet expectations. i wanna just login once in a while without the stress of e-drama.

That's the way to go! Hope you enjoy it! I'm really liking my re-entry to the game. It's much cleaner now. 3 days till tech 2 heavy missiles then I'm missioning till I can afford my small armada of ships.

Tideas

Banned

before u go too far into it, wanna take a link of mine? it's 21 day trial instead of 14..which i'm assuimg u're doing

Finished Mechanics V, finally. I'd been sitting on that one for awhile, without having done it, even though it's a fairly short train. Hull Upgrades (and Repair Systems) V I believe are the only things left for maximum tank, besides finishing off the resistance skills, and getting all of those to V is an absurd time requirement.

Since I was out for the day (and a half) when Mechanics V was going to wrap up, I just tossed BCs V in my queue. Was really waffling on what to put in there since I'm at quite a crossroads in terms of what's important to train. There's a bunch of useful skills in the 3-7 day or so range, but I figured I'd at least get some time in on BCs V since I'm going to want to finish it anyway in the next few months, even if I toss something new in the queue tomorrow or the next day.

Haven't really actually "played" much though. Mostly been doing Skill Queue Online, but it's still oh so satisfying.

Tideas

Banned
gonna finish drone 5 soon. then gonna train up to get Warrior 2. Finally, gonna switch to training to battleship.

gonna be another 10 days of training, bleh. i wanna do mission 4 already!

gonna finish drone 5 soon. then gonna train up to get Warrior 2. Finally, gonna switch to training to battleship.

gonna be another 10 days of training, bleh. i wanna do mission 4 already!

I can do level 4s while you tag along and provide additional DPS!

Been thinking I might do some missioning for a bit to reliably build up some ISK before joining Dreddit and moving out to null where the exploration I find more fun would be much more profitable. Though there may be a war brewing between TEST and the Goons, which could put a damper on those plans.

Tideas

Banned
I can do level 4s while you tag along and provide additional DPS!

Been thinking I might do some missioning for a bit to reliably build up some ISK before joining Dreddit and moving out to null where the exploration I find more fun would be much more profitable. Though there may be a war brewing between TEST and the Goons, which could put a damper on those plans.

where are u at? I'm in Dodixie

Well I've mostly hung out in Caldari or Minmatar space as of late, but I can mosey on over towards Sinq Laison et al.

Would need to build up rep doing lower level missions first over there, though that would probably go fairly quick in my Tengu with the skills I have now. Level IIs and below it might be easier to blitz in a destroyer or something though unless I fit a target painter or two.

Tideas

Banned
Well I've mostly hung out in Caldari or Minmatar space as of late, but I can mosey on over towards Sinq Laison et al.

Would need to build up rep doing lower level missions first over there, though that would probably go fairly quick in my Tengu with the skills I have now. Level IIs and below it might be easier to blitz in a destroyer or something though unless I fit a target painter or two.

yeah, lvl 1 use a destroyer, lvl 2 use a cruiser, and lvl 3 a BC.

ok i dont play much but the little i played was enough to get me to bite. i signed up for an account. i just been sitting in a hangar leveling skills for stuff i cant afford and doing simple missions.

holla at me gaf!

Tideas

Banned
ok i dont play much but the little i played was enough to get me to bite. i signed up for an account. i just been sitting in a hangar leveling skills for stuff i cant afford and doing simple missions.

holla at me gaf!

haha...if you had signed up through my buddy trial, I could have given you a couple of hundred million ISK to get you started

I reupped my sub for 90 days the other day, so I'll at least be training stuff for the next 3 months. Something like 17 days left on BCs V now - will probably just let it finish. May remap though to make it go faster since I have a couple to spare.

So much other stuff to play between Dota 2 and now Path of Exile that I find I don't leave as much time for EVE, especially since my skills will still advance without me actively playing the game.

I will try in the next few days to get some playtime in though and make a move towards Dodixie.

patchday

I used to play this MMO a ton back in the day. Lived out there in nullsec, killed rats, and participated in a lot of large battles. Was no doubt the most intense pvp I've ever seen in an MMO

Well I just stupidly lost a ship. Ordered skillbook in low-sec without paying attention. Got into the station fine with the camp on top of it, but I should have just stayed there until some other time instead of undocking several minutes later. Ship was just a cheap destroyer, so no big deal, but one asshole had to pod me too. Lost 90 million worth of implants.

Really stupid on my part in more ways than one, but I deserved it for not paying attention. Been too long since I died, though something less shameful where I would have had a chance to fight back would have felt better. Costly lesson.

Thankfully I wasn't flying my Tengu or another more expensive ship, though something more expensive probably would have had the tank to withstand the attack.

i should have taken your advice Tideas. i really could have used to millions of isk.

running out of cash just buying the skill books to learn stuff :/

i should have taken your advice Tideas. i really could have used to millions of isk.

running out of cash just buying the skill books to learn stuff :/

Send my character (Kate Fallwater) an EVEmail in-game and I'll see what I can do to hook you up. Just be sure to mention your GAF name.

eot

Banned
Well I just stupidly lost a ship. Ordered skillbook in low-sec without paying attention. Got into the station fine with the camp on top of it, but I should have just stayed there until some other time instead of undocking several minutes later. Ship was just a cheap destroyer, so no big deal, but one asshole had to pod me too. Lost 90 million worth of implants.

Really stupid on my part in more ways than one, but I deserved it for not paying attention. Been too long since I died, though something less shameful where I would have had a chance to fight back would have felt better. Costly lesson.

Generally speaking you should be able to avoid losing your pod in lowsec. Since pods warp instantly there's (in theory) nothing that can tackle them before they warp off, other than bubbles of course, but you can't deploy them in empire space. If you know you're going to die then select a celestial on your overview and just spam the warp button. Your pod should warp as soon as your ship explodes. Sometimes people use smartbombs to kill pods in lowsec, but if you're within 5km of a station or gate they can't use them. Anyway, if you die on a station don't try to dock your pod, warp it off.

Also, in lowsec you can avoid any station camp if you have an insta undock bookmark, which is just a bookmark aligned with the undock vector a few hundred km off station that you can warp to instantly. If you don't have that you can always undock, hit ctrl-space to stop your ship and be invunerable for 30 seconds. That lets you check if it's still being camped. Just be aware that if you activate any module, lock a target or move your ship the invunerability breaks. There are also some stations where you can't stop your ship fast enough to remain in docking range (those are called kickout stations).

Finally, I wouldn't look for fits on battleclinic :p they can be a bit sketch. Look around here first.

Ain't nobody got time for instant dock bookmarks! :p

At least not when you don't intend to frequent an area.

As I said, I made more than one mistake at multiple steps being careless not paying attention.

As for the pod, I may not have been jamming my warp button fast enough, but I'm pretty sure they had some insta-locking ships as well.

eot

Banned
Looks like he hasn't turned off his CSPA charge ;) it's 2950 by default

If you open the EVEMail window you can access a settings menu where you can set the change to 0.

eot

Banned
so apparently some major shit is going down between some super popular corp and its cause some jump gates to not work?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/17ckbk/pl_hot_dropped_goons/

This was a nice surprise to wake up to :D
Here's a second hand account of what happened (based on what info I've read).

Some backstory: about two weeks ago Goonswarm were camping a nullsec station with Carriers. A lowsec group called Drunken 'n' Disorderly decided to pay them a visit and dropped around 25 Dreadnoughts on the camp. This was kind of a suicidal move by them as all they had to pray the Goon response time was longer than their 5 minute siege timer on the Dreads. Unfortunately for them Goons did respond in time and DnD lost 17 Dreads for 11 Carriers - not exactly a favourable exchange since a Dread cost 2-3x as much as Carrier. There's a video of how it went down here. The guy doing most of the shouting was the Goon fleet commander (FC), DBRB, who has a reputation for not staying calm.

Fast forward to yesterday, a small lowsec alliance by the name of Liandri Covenant had one of their starbaseses put into reinforced mode by DnD. Not being strong enough to defend it themselves they reached out for help, and word eventually got to DBRB. Normally the FC of a large nullsec alliance wouldn't give two shits if a small lowsec group asked for help, but after their previous scuffle with DnD I'm guessing he wanted more, so he planned an op to go help Liandri. Another alliance, Pandemic Legion (PL), got wind of this through their spies and kept an eye on the system in case any juicy opportunity presented itself.

When the time for the fight came the Goonswarm fleet tried to use a Titan to bridge their sub-capital ships into the system (bypassing regular gates), but as sometimes happens, the Titan pilot (in this case DBRB) clicked "jump" instead of "open bridge". So he jumped his Titan into the hostiles leaving the rest of his fleet many jumps behind. PL immediately pounced, dropping a fleet of Carriers / Supercarriers to kill the Goon Titan. DBRB, being the not very calm person he is, starts pinging for Goon and allied supercapital to log in and counter-drop PL. A bold move, considering that PL are known for having the largest supercapital fleet in the game. When the Goons escalate, so do PL.

Word of the fight quickly spreads, and people from all over start dogpiling into the system. Everyone is always eager to kill some Goons ;). Due to the fight taking place in lowsec the final tally of supercapitals destroyed wasn't catastrophically high, because in lowsec they can only be tackled by Heavy Interdictors which cannot recieve remote assistance when tackling. Had this gone down in nullsec it might have been the bloodiest battle ever fought in EVE. When the dust settled Goons has lost around 45 Dreads, 30 Carriers, 3 Titans and 5 Supercarriers. In terms of ISK that's in the range of 600 billion.

Here's a killboard link for the whole thing.

I guess it's worth noting that the political context of this is very interesting but I think I wrote enough already.

MedIC86

This was a nice surprise to wake up to :D
Here's a second hand account of what happened (based on what info I've read).

Some backstory: about two weeks ago Goonswarm were camping a nullsec station with Carriers. A lowsec group called Drunken 'n' Disorderly decided to pay them a visit and dropped around 25 Dreadnoughts on the camp. This was kind of a suicidal move by them as all they had to pray the Goon response time was longer than their 5 minute siege timer on the Dreads. Unfortunately for them Goons did respond in time and DnD lost 17 Dreads for 11 Carriers - not exactly a favourable exchange since a Dread cost 2-3x as much as Carrier. There's a video of how it went down here. The guy doing most of the shouting was the Goon fleet commander (FC), DBRB, who has a reputation for not staying calm.

Fast forward to yesterday, a small lowsec alliance by the name of Liandri Covenant had one of their starbaseses put into reinforced mode by DnD. Not being strong enough to defend it themselves they reached out for help, and word eventually got to DBRB. Normally the FC of a large nullsec alliance wouldn't give two shits if a small lowsec group asked for help, but after their previous scuffle with DnD I'm guessing he wanted more, so he planned an op to go help Liandri. Another alliance, Pandemic Legion (PL), got wind of this through their spies and kept an eye on the system in case any juicy opportunity presented itself.

When the time for the fight came the Goonswarm fleet tried to use a Titan to bridge their sub-capital ships into the system (bypassing regular gates), but as sometimes happens, the Titan pilot (in this case DBRB) clicked "jump" instead of "open bridge". So he jumped his Titan into the hostiles leaving the rest of his fleet many jumps behind. PL immediately pounced, dropping a fleet of Carriers / Supercarriers to kill the Goon Titan. DBRB, being the not very calm person he is, starts pinging for Goon and allied supercapital to log in and counter-drop PL. A bold move, considering that PL are known for having the largest supercapital fleet in the game. When the Goons escalate, so do PL.

Word of the fight quickly spreads, and people from all over start dogpiling into the system. Everyone is always eager to kill some Goons ;). Due to the fight taking place in lowsec the final tally of supercapitals destroyed wasn't catastrophically high, because in lowsec they can only be tackled by Heavy Interdictors which cannot recieve remote assistance when tackling. Had this gone down in nullsec it might have been the bloodiest battle ever fought in EVE. When the dust settled Goons has lost around 45 Dreads, 30 Carriers, 3 Titans and 5 Supercarriers. In terms of ISK that's in the range of 600 billion.

Here's a killboard link for the whole thing.

I guess it's worth noting that the political context of this is very interesting but I think I wrote enough already.

Seriously, these stories are always so cool. When i try to play its just like, yeah this is me flying around having no clue whats going on :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Quoting a friend of mine who was participating;

So, an overview of what transpired last night.

Goons were planning on dropping on an alliance (Drunk and Disorderly) fighting around a moon. They found this out about 5 minutes before shit went down, so batphoned us to see if we could intervene.

We sent one Carrier over as things started kicking off, and then enemy FC made a tremendous mistake.

On a Titan, you have two different options. Jump (which takes you to the target destination), and Bridge (which takes those ships around you, but not you - to the target destination).

DBRB used Jump, rather than Bridge - dropping his Titan onto the field. Our friend sin the system quickly tackled it so it couldn't escape, and ~madpings~ started on IRC to get everybody online. Similarly, Goons started madpinging on their own Jabber server too.

For those who don't know what my Alliance does in EVE... Well, this is it. We excel in Supercapital usage. We dropped into the fight as Goons did the same, shit escalated incredibly quickly. It became apparent that - whilst they had far more dps on the field (at least, initially), our experience at using these ships allowed us to prevent those of ours that were being killed to escape.

At the same time, our FCs started sending out messages to those we know in the area - our Alliance, our Allies, and lowsec groups who might just want to get in on the biggest Supercap fight the game as ever seen.

We killed a Mothership right off the bat, and watched another escape due to lack of tackle (you can't use the primary methods of 'tackling' Supercaps in low sec systems in EVE). In return, the first three Supers that Goons targeted escaped, either by warping away, or jumping to an emergency beacon in another system. Our fourth target died, but not before soaking up a massive amount of damage - buying our other Supercaps more buffer, and more time.

As time passed, and Time Dilation kicked in - on an unreinforced node - more and more friendlies started streaming into system. What was originally only 4-500 people in local grew up to a peak of 2700. It became so big, that DUST514 Console Players accessing the Caldari Factional Warfare systems were reporting issues with playing the game. The system held, it didn't crash - which on an unreinforced node with 10s of thousands objectives interacting with each other, is an absolute miracle - and an ode to just what the Development Team have accomplished in recent years.

We switched from Supercapitals over to normal Capitals. Capital ships (Dreadnaughts) to an insane amount of damage, but they have far, far less hitpoints than a Supercarrier. Logically, when you are trying to balance the incoming dps against the remote reps you have, it makes sense to start with the higher dps targets - even at the expensive of more Supercap killmails.

Dread after dread fell, when a small lowsec alliance jumps in with 20 Heavy Interdictors (these are the only way you can 'tackle' a Supercap in lowsec). They pointed the enemy FC's Ragnarok, at which point we cleared current targets, and switched over to a Titan.

It was only really when the Ragnarok died, that Goons realised that it wasn't going 'as expected'. Their Titans started scattering to the wind, and leaving system. Their Supercarriers, and normal Dreads - started trying desperately to clear the points on their remaining Supers.

The whole thing, from the actual drop, right through to extracting back to safety - took about 6 hours. Even after waking up, everybody is still so pumped. Best fight in years, despite the heavy server load and what was (at times) a slideshow as the client tried to render 2000+ people on grid.

Here's a youtube clip of it sped up 7000% (so around 5 hours in 3 minutes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SFPHNB8Rq2o

Tideas

Banned
i can finally run Drones Tech 2 now, woot. now gonna train to minmatar battleship before i switch over to T2 shield tnaking

So I was bored and last night finishes the Sisters of EVE epic arc. Just blitzed it all in a destroyer. Was around 20 missions in already, but it still took quite some time. The best thing about it was the standings boost at the end. Picked Gallente since I had damaged my rep with them pretty badly by doing Caldari missions against them (before I knew any better). Finishing the epic arc gave me something like a 1.5 boost across the entire faction with my skills.

Currently in Gallente space blitzing some level 2 missions (don't have rep for any higher atm), but I may just go back to Caldari space and do some L4s in my Raven.

Still thinking about applying to join Dreddit, but I have some things to get in order first. And notably, I would have to change what I fly in null. Probably nothing larger than a BC initially, and certainly not anything expensive. I'd have to leave my Tengu - at least for awhile - until I built enough of a fortune to feel comfortable risking it out there, even if alliance controlled space is relatively safe.

Top Bottom