• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 unveil event will have PC and PS4 versions, allow lots of YouTuber gameplay

Nabbis

I don't really care what mental gymnastics someone is willing to pull out, locking a PC game to 30fps is due to not willing to spend resources on something better.

Bsigg12

30FPS has never held them back from being successful. They have spent over 15 years building FPS gameplay design around that number & have given several talks in the past as to why they pursue it as a design choice. Destiny 1 is massively successful and is also 30fps.

Sure but it would be significantly better at 60fps.

Also if for some god forsaken reason they decide to lock the PC version to 30fps, they would be raked over the coals

Probably get some hate but I hope the campaign is a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda vs Destiny 1.
- Bigger outdoor places to explore
- Player Guardian being a bit more of a legitimate character.

- Better social hub and more social features

Additional requests:
- ship combat
- additional RPG/MMO customization features like helmet(show/not show), minor custom color options outside of shaders(like a decal, stripe, etc for clans and such)
- 3rd person option outside of competitive modes.
- maybe additional playable races

liezryou

That figure of cayde with the invite would be pretty nice in a case for a graphics card anti-sagger. I'm jelly.

Also i almost hit the preorder button for PC like 3 times already, if the event is even remotely good, I'll probably do it.

Grief.exe

I don't really care what mental gymnastics someone is willing to pull out, locking a PC game to 30fps is due to not willing to spend resources on something better.

Also if for some good forsaken reason they decide to lock the PC version to 30fps, they would be raked over the coals

AAA game below 60 on PC would be insanity.

Yeah, PC gamers would flip their shit at Destiny limited to 30. I'm trying to think of a successful game that has actually done this...

Dark Souls

they should be raked over the coals if it has any kind of locked framerate, 60fps is just a starting point

60 FPS is a minimum.

aeolist

Banned

Also if for some good forsaken reason they decide to lock the PC version to 30fps, they would be raked over the coals

they should be raked over the coals if it has any kind of locked framerate, 60fps is just a starting point

Lister

Banned
There is no way pc gamers are going to buy an FPS running at 30 FPS. That shit is for people without a choice.

Is this just speculation?

Also movement issues? On PC? What are some of you people on? Pc gaming is home to some of the most fast paced FPS games where movement is paramout and needs to be precise. Gamepad joysticks don't actually have much movement range anyway. It's like 3 movement speeds: super slow, so no one uses it, walk, and jog/sprint (depending on whether ou have to push a button or not). this is completely achievable on PC, AND you have the extra bonus of the super accurate and fast camera. Diagonal movement is not as smooth, but strafing sure as hell is.

Bsigg12

There is no way pc gamers are going to buy an FPS running at 30 FPS. That shit is for people without a choice.

Is this just speculation?

Yea, just speculation.

I do actually believe the fact the game is coming to PC is a sign that the game will be 60fps on PS4 and Xbox One.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No matter the target, I expect it'll be consistent. Bungie's games really benefit from consistency. Give me consistent performance and an FoV slider in all versions, or at least a much wider default FoV, and I'll be happy.

Lister

Banned
Don't fool yourselves, it's going to be 30fps on consoles.

I don't know. I mean they are going to have to do the usual PC game engine thing of scalability, just on the console side alone, so why not do it right? Have the game engine devs start by targeting a PC with a 1060 at 60 FPS @ 1080p. I think that' s enough power to do a nice looking FPS.

Scale down a little bit to target PS4 Pro @1080p. then a bit more for Ps4 Pro at 4K, then finally do whatever it takes to get it to fit on low end gaming PC's and the base PS4.

Hopefully also spend a little bit of time allowing for some more eye candy on more powerful PC's, even if it gets a lower amount of love and time in terms of optimization.

Sorry to derail the graphics talk, but one of things I hope for in D2 is more options for inventory management or just a better inventory system.......whatever makes it easier to get rid of junk especially in the vault.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sorry to derail the graphics talk, but one of things I hope for in D2 is more options for inventory management or just a better inventory system.......whatever makes it easier to get rid of junk especially in the vault.
Wasn't a big part of the limits related to last gen console's RAM limitations? I remember them disabling part of the options menu on last gen to be able to add more vault space at one point.

I think in general anything that was constrained by last gen RAM requirements will have a massive leap on quality for Destiny 2. That's what I'm most excited to see.

Lister

Banned

I justhope they put in the effort to have two different UI's for gamepad and M&K controls. AND have BOTH of them available on PC depending on what you want to use.

Vimes

People may have thought Year One was stingy with drops, but at least I didn't spend 40 minutes organizing my vault for every half hour playing the actual game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I justhope they put in the effort to have two different UI's for gamepad and M&K controls. AND have BOTH of them available on PC depending on what you want to use.
I love Destiny's UI and I think it would translate well to a mouse without much work.

Carn82

Probably get some hate but I hope the campaign is a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda vs Destiny 1.
- Bigger outdoor places to explore
- Player Guardian being a bit more of a legitimate character.

- Better social hub and more social features

Additional requests:
- ship combat
- additional RPG/MMO customization features like helmet(show/not show), minor custom color options outside of shaders(like a decal, stripe, etc for clans and such)
- 3rd person option outside of competitive modes.
- maybe additional playable races

Bigger areas and more focus on player characters have pretty much been implied by the 'leaked' reports. Bungie has confirmed that your character's appearances will be brought forward, the only sensible reason to justify that engineering effort is that we will see more of them.

Also, just my personal opinion, I don't think that we'll see ship combat. I do hope that ships get a bigger role somehow.

nOoblet16

Why are there people speculating that PC version might be locked to 30FPS? A developer has to be tone deaf to do that for a AAA FPS.

psyfi

Banned
I'm really curious to see what they do with class abilities and supers. I find the ones in Destiny 1 to be generally underwhelming and uninteresting, and I'm hoping they spice it up or offer more options.

Crayon

That would be great if it was 60 on ps4. I'm going to end up playing this game whether I want to or not because friends.

Bigger areas and more focus on player characters have pretty much been implied by the 'leaked' reports. Bungie has confirmed that your character's appearances will be brought forward, the only sensible reason to justify that engineering effort is that we will see more of them.

Also, just my personal opinion, I don't think that we'll see ship combat. I do hope that ships get a bigger role somehow.

Thanks.

The ship request I don't even mean as a major feature, i'd be happy with a single one in the story towards a climatic end-game or something.

psyfi

Banned
Thanks.

The ship request I don't even mean as a major feature, i'd be happy with a single one in the story towards a climatic end-game or something.
That could be cool. I don't see space combat playing a big role as it would completely fall outside the core hook of Destiny: loot. Though I guess we could get loot for our ships, too?

Wasn't a big part of the limits related to last gen console's RAM limitations? I remember them disabling part of the options menu on last gen to be able to add more vault space at one point.

I think in general anything that was constrained by last gen RAM requirements will have a massive leap on quality for Destiny 2. That's what I'm most excited to see.

If that's the case, then no excuse now lol.

Are there some examples of PC does this seamlessly or without much fuss? I got annoyed at the way Dragon Age Inquisition did it.

psyfi

Banned
I recently got back into Destiny after a two year break, and I've been enjoying the game so much more because there finally feels like a decent amount of content. Strikes actually hold my interest now! I'm kinda worried about switching to Destiny 2 and having nothing to do by week three again.

Floody

They need to implement something like Destiny item manager to the pause menu, I can get by with the app, but would be so nice just having it all in-game.

kyser73

I think the fact that it is being presented alongside the PC version and there's no cross-gen versions to worry about strongly suggests 60fps on consoles.

Lister

Banned
If that's the case, then no excuse now lol.

Are there some examples of PC does this seamlessly or without much fuss? I got annoyed at the way Dragon Age Inquisition did it.

Most games now a days will let you change input device son the fly, not like Dragon Age Inquisition, which forced you to change settings, or even restart the game I think.

But most multi-platform games also just port the crappy console UI over ot PC with little or no improvements.

For a few games, it doesn't matter as the UI is essentially just showing you some simple data, but for anything complex it's like having a hammer and being given rubber screws. At best things are more frustrating than they should be, at worse you have something like Mass Effect: Andromeda with tiny lists and sublists and like 3 button mappings to get at what you want.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'd love to have the ship be a home base you can visit and customize with accomplishments and such.

matmanx1

Now the inevitable question of PC vs PS4. My head says PC, it's where I am spending most of my gaming time lately and I have a very good PC. But my Destiny 1 buddies are purely console players and will not step up to building a gaming PC no matter how much I beg and plead. And at the end of the day a game like Destiny is so much better when played with friends.

psyfi

Banned
If needed and If ships were a major feature they could do a lot with them even just cosmetically.
- ship type
- paintjob
- cosmetic armor
- kill markings
- emblem/pinups
- exhaust color
- weapon colors
But that's all cosmetic? I want stuff that will change up gameplay, similar to different weapons and abilities while on foot.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I agree. I believe the PC version is going to "disappoint" a lot of people because they will be expecting it to eclipse the PS4 Pro version.

Perhaps I'm being overly negative but given the incredibly strong marketing partnership between Activision and Sony over Destiny, I don't believe you'll see anything on PC that could potentially make PS4 owners say, "Damn, I should get this on PC instead."

It will at the very least support higher framerates. Everything else I don't really care.

Top Bottom