• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Persona 5 to Project Re Fantasy - What do you want to see?

fantasy jrpgs are the most played out thing ever. really not looking forward to this.

If anyone can do it well &/or differently, it's Atlus. At the very least, I rather see this than another Persona right now, too much of a good thing can go stale, contrary to popular opinion.

But this can't just be "Persona in a fantasy setting," either. Although, that would be interesting, but I don't expect daily progression, school (obviously), or the collective unconscious being elements here. I think Social Links/Confidants will be implemented, in some form, to emphasize connections with other party members. I expect large time skips of several years in this game, following a cast of characters who grow up accordingly.

I feel like those three will be stripped out in favour of Journey Progression, Party & Locations you visit, and the events/lives around you. Those seem like the smartest parallels for the new focus of the game, which is the Journey being undertaken and the Bonds of those undertaking it with the protagonist.

One thing P Studio's know for is their sense of style. With Catherine and Persona, the identities of those games show themselves with relentless confidence in all areas. I wonder how that will translate to something as seemingly traditional and explored as Re Fantasy's genre.

I can't help but feel that it will be slightly more reserved and elegant/formal than the pop/punk confidence of Persona 5 & Catherine. The smoother panting style art by Soejima definitely isn't going for that kind of impact.

If they keep anything from Persona, I want it to be the sense of progress. I'm sick of all these fantasy RPGs where you have all the time in the world to do any goddamn thing you want, no matter how pointless and stupid it might be. The schedule management aspect of Persona is something I love because it makes moment to moment decision making important. I don't necessarily want some hardcore "People will die because you chose A instead of B this morning" deal but I also don't want Elderscrolls/Zelda/Witcher-y "Save the world... eventually. No rush. Wanna collect a buncha goofy baubles first?"

I feel like they'll implement this more loosely by measuring the length & duration of the journey, as well as the next landmark or something like that. I don't think it will be full open world, so it likely won't have huge spots of free time/space to accomodate that.

Tying into the progress of time, it'd be nice if we got a character that aged. That way you could have the cliche Japanese RPG teen who saves the world and also not have them.

I could see something like this tying in well with a large Journey.

I don't get those bond comments.

Is he saying that the bonds won't be a group of people meeting for the first time and growing closer, but folks who already knew each other growing closer?

I hope the implication is that these are all adults though.

It's folks that meet each other, but not through one stable setup like School, instead deciding to work together for other (or their own) reasons.

They aren't all adults. There's a blonde haired kid who might be the main guy. We all want the gorgeous red haired woman to be the lead but it might be that blonde haired kid.

They mention that they want a different kind of protagonist - and not someone on the cusp of adulthood. One can only assume they mean an adult.

I want the red haired elf to have, at the very least, a very significant present. Absolutely love her design.

Completely agree. I really hope that she is either important or the player character.

Majority of the cast being adults or at least in older than the teens age group. Pretty much open to whatever direction they take the story but if theirs a romantic gameplay with other characters than either limit it to one or incorporate it more into the actual game.
Keep it turned based would be the only thing.
Think the game just changing setting and clearly aiming for something else from usual persona should be enough to keep the game fresh.

duckroll

I expect this to be very different from Persona. Just because it's an "RPG" doesn't really mean much. They're definitely going to make a conscious effort that a new fantasy RPG IP should break away from the conventions of Persona. Take a look at the new IPs which Hashino has worked on and I think we have a better idea of what to expect - stuff like Maken X and Catherine are very different from SMT3/DDS/Persona. When Hashino makes something as part of an existing brand, he seems to have a keen understanding of how to modernize it while meeting the expectations of the audience. When he makes something totally new, he just cuts loose and does whatever.

Oh and remember that once upon a time, they tried making Persona 3 an action RPG with AI party members.. :)

Mediking

I expect this to be very different from Persona. Just because it's an "RPG" doesn't really mean much. They're definitely going to make a conscious effort that a new fantasy RPG IP should break away from the conventions of Persona. Take a look at the new IPs which Hashino has worked on and I think we have a better idea of what to expect - stuff like Maken X and Catherine are very different from SMT3/DDS/Persona. When Hashino makes something as part of an existing brand, he seems to have a keen understanding of how to modernize it while meeting the expectations of the audience. When he makes something totally new, he just cuts loose and does whatever.

Oh and remember that once upon a time, they tried making Persona 3 an action RPG with AI party members.. :)

Catherine is that much different from Persona...? I mean... yeah but not by alot and thats not a insult to Catherine at all.

Mediking

What similarities does Catherine share with Persona in terms of gameplay and progression?

Choices define you in both games.

Walking around a bar = same thing in P5.

You're gonna say I'm reaching, huh? Lol

But lemme say again that I'm in the boat that P5 honors Catherine.

I know I should trust them, but I honestly feel like this game is going to be really boring, or at least fall short of expectation. Best case is an Atlus version of I am Setsuna meets FFXII with the social link system added for measure.

But lemme say again that I'm in the boat that P5 honors Catherine.
Absolutely. People aren't giving Catherine enough credit for P5. It's more Catherine than P4 in many ways (tonally, and in terms of character interaction and writing anyway)

Just like P5 and Catherine I want them to continue to tackle themes that aren't usually featured in games and bring some new life into the traditional fantasy RPG space. The summary in the OP pretty much shows they're going in the right direction, and after P5 I'm willing to give them as much time as they need - even if that means another end of generation release.

Dantis

What similarities does Catherine share with Persona in terms of gameplay and progression?

The gameplay structure is really similar in a way. You do a night of levels followed by an evening of social stuff. They're not called S Links, but they are S Links.

I don't think Re:Fantasy is just going to be a fantasy Persona, but I think it will definitely have quiet conversational moments like Catherine and Persona. It's pretty much become Hashino's thing.

Kuro

I'm kind of doubtful they'll be able to make a well designed fantasy world. Persona has always been corridors and hallways minus Persona 5 which definitely made the dungeons more interesting but still not that complex. The navigation in the real world has always been mediocre with excellent presentation. Unless they pick up some level designers from other studios I can't see this being that different from Persona's environments which would really hurt this whole fantasy journey thing they're hyping up.

FluxWaveZ

I can't help but feel that it will be slightly more reserved and elegant/formal than the pop/punk confidence of Persona 5 & Catherine. The smoother panting style art by Soejima definitely isn't going for that kind of impact.

That's what I would expect, but the issue is whether Re Fantasy will have a style that defines it on its own. I wouldn't expect the pop and youthful exuberance of the aesthetics in Persona, but as with the rest of Re Fantasy, the UI and overall look of the game can't just be generic fantasy, or that will be a huge bummer coming from the people involved.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hashino talked about early P5 being about backpacking. Maybe that new project is going to be another go at that concept. With a traveling party going through lands encountering a lot of different cultures.
As for why the fantasy setting I could see that it's because Hashino maybe wants to make a game that has certain messages about different cultures clashing, especially maybe tackling things like immigration or what not.
As such I can easily see why a fantasy setting would make it way easier to do that given the actual cultures are going to be under his own creative control whereas real representations would be under much stronger scrutiny and possibly distract from what he wants to say if they're done wrong.

RPGam3r

I want an open world action RPG that has the flare of a Japanese company making the game while taking into consideration games like The Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

Ohh man.. even though it will take awhile to come out I cant wait for this haha. I'm pretty new to Atlus games and have just started P4 after finishing P5 and it's really cool so far. I'm also thinking about playing through Nocturne and Catherine!

kewlmyc

Not really hyped, to be honest. Outside of Atlus, fantasy RPGs have been done to death at this point. Wish they were working on another Persona, but if this is what the team is passionate about, I wish them the best. I'll play it regardless though since the team produces good work.

If they're just now getting started, I wonder how long this will take to release. 2020 at the earliest I'm assuming.

JMY86

I just came off Persona 5 which was my first Persona game and quickly fell in love with that incredible game. I am super excited to see what that team can do with a fantasy game. That being said we will probably not see this game for 5 years so we have plenty of time to discuss it.

They aren't all adults. There's a blonde haired kid who might be the main guy. We all want the gorgeous red haired woman to be the lead but it might be that blonde haired kid.
I hope that blonde kid is just like the mage/priest character

Atlus should have gotten over their hot for teacher shit with p5, let's not go overboard with it on a fantasy game

marmoka

Banned
Jack Frost

JackFrost.png

I need him!

I just came off Persona 5 which was my first Persona game and quickly fell in love with that incredible game. I am super excited to see what that team can do with a fantasy game. That being said we will probably not see this game for 5 years so we have plenty of time to discuss it.

These are not the same people making the Persona games. The P-Studio makes all the Persona games while Studio Zero seems to be a new studio Atlus has created, borrowing some of the figureheads from the P-studio to create a new IP. P-Studio will most likely continue working on newer installments/spinoffs to the Persona and SMT series.

The Persona brand is Atlus' bread and butter at this point in making dough, so I highly doubt they completely stop working on those games. Even between Persona 4 and 5, they released a whole bunch of other Persona related games - P4G, P4A, P4U, P4D, PQ, etc.

FluxWaveZ

These are not the same people making the Persona games. The P-Studio makes all the Persona games while Studio Zero seems to be a new studio Atlus has created, borrowing some of the figureheads from the P-studio to create a new IP. P-Studio will most likely continue working on newer installments/spinoffs to the Persona and SMT series. The Persona brand is Atlus' bread and butter at this point in making dough, so I highly doubt they completely stop working on those games.

You're wrong. Have you checked the current staff of Studio Zero? It's not just Hashino, Soejima and Meguro: almost every single person working on Re Fantasy right now worked on Persona 3/4/5 and came from P Studio.

Scenario and planning?
Yuichiro Tanaka (scenario planner) [Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Persona 5, and more]
Azusa Kido (scenario & system planner) [Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, and more]
Atsushi Watanabe (system planner) [Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5]
Kenichi Gotoh (system planner) [Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5, and more]

Programmers?
Yujiro Kosaka [Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, and more]
Toshiyuki Niida [Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, and more]
Hirotaka Mizuno [Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Persona 5]

Designers? The project manager? The same. This was Hashino taking members of his P Studio posse to form a new studio in Studio Zero, not just maintaining the holy trinity.

convo

They can use some more technical know-how from outside Atlus like asking some internal Sega team for advice and resources. What they have managed till now looks pleasing to the eye but it took too long. Become more efficient in that departement and the creative part can evolve in any way they want. I personally want a Suikoden style castle to build up, but that is a very specific wish.

kadotsu

Banned
I just hope it isn't a Isekai or amnesia plot. I would like to see the journey of a character with baggage in a consistent world with its own baggage.

JMY86

These are not the same people making the Persona games. The P-Studio makes all the Persona games while Studio Zero seems to be a new studio Atlus has created, borrowing some of the figureheads from the P-studio to create a new IP. P-Studio will most likely continue working on newer installments/spinoffs to the Persona and SMT series.

The Persona brand is Atlus' bread and butter at this point in making dough, so I highly doubt they completely stop working on those games. Even between Persona 4 and 5, they released a whole bunch of other Persona related games - P4G, P4A, P4U, P4D, PQ, etc.

Ahh ok I guess I got the studios confused thanks for clearing that up so I don't look like an idiot twice. I am still looking forward to seeing what they are working on.

Not terribly excited for this, fantasy RPGs have been done to death, so I'll need to see more to get interested. I'm a little more concerned about what this means for Persona going forward, because the Persona spinoffs released between P4 and P5 were pretty rough when they tried to tell a story, to put it mildly. So a little nervous to see a potential P6 without a lot of the central figures in P Studio save Soejima and Meguro.

.JayZii

Banned
I'd like another stylish turn-based rpg, but I'm interested in whatever they decide on making. Presumably the team moved onto a new IP because they're a bit burnt out on Persona and want to flex their creativity, so I don't expect it to be very similar other than being really nice aesthetically.
Kaneko's reappearance.
I'm sure all the promotional Soejima art is just placeholder. Yeah, that makes sense.

Zalman

Not terribly excited for this, fantasy RPGs have been done to death, so I'll need to see more to get interested. I'm a little more concerned about what this means for Persona going forward, because the Persona spinoffs released between P4 and P5 were pretty rough when they tried to tell a story, to put it mildly. So a little nervous to see a potential P6 without a lot of the central figures in P Studio save Soejima and Meguro.
I would hope that this is simply their "Catherine" this time around, meaning a game they develop between mainline Persona entries. A Persona 6 without Soejima and Meguro would not be the same.

FluxWaveZ

I would hope that this is simply their "Catherine" this time around, meaning a game they develop between mainline Persona entries. A Persona 6 without Soejima and Meguro would not be the same.

Very different circumstances. Catherine was developed with the full intent to be experimental, partly to make them more familiar with HD development in preparation for Persona 5.

This is a whole new team, with what is touted as an important element in Atlus' future, making a project with a presumably much larger scope.

Soejima and Meguro are pretty important for the feel of the modern Persona games, but I guarantee that Hashino's lack of involvement would be immediately felt.

Good thing both are still working with P-Studio.

Nowhere does it say otherwise.

Servbot24

Banned
I wanna see more art like in the OP :eek:

As much as I love Persona, it would be cool to have a series with such great art that is a little more grounded, rather than demons on toilets and such :p

Trago

A fresh start. They've been on the Persona formula for a long time. Time to wipe the slate lean. I'm very excited.

Guess Who

Banned
I expect Meguro and Soejima to work on P-Studio games going forward in the same sense they worked on the Persona 3/4 spinoffs while doing P5 and Catherine, which is to say, they will contribute but they will be clearly less involved than if it were a mainline title.

Ravage

Not really hyped, to be honest. Outside of Atlus, fantasy RPGs have been done to death at this point. Wish they were working on another Persona, but if this is what the team is passionate about, I wish them the best. I'll play it regardless though since the team produces good work.

If they're just now getting started, I wonder how long this will take to release. 2020 at the earliest I'm assuming.

Honestly I'm quite disappointed to see the usual elf/dragon crap. I'm sick to death of generic fantasy at this point.

For them to either completely forget about the mechanics from Persona series and build everything from ground-up, or if they are using similar mechanics then evolve them to become something more.

In short, I don't wanna see more isolated. canon-but-not-really S-links in a fantasy setting. This should be its own thing and not "Persona in a fantasy setting".

Really hyped for this.

Things I'd like to see with this one.

- Less cliched JRPG

- Mature M rated approach to a Fantasy RPG

- Loveable characters, and strong cast camaraderie

- A fantastic story that's consistent.

- Shoji Meguro

I love the art for this game

K3RR01L.jpg

Right now I just want to see more. I generally dislike fantasy settings and so far we don't know enough to tell if it will standout amongst the many other fantasy RPGs that are out there.

There's a good team with a very strong record behind it so I'm hopeful that they'll win me over, but right now it's hard for me to care about it other than due to the talent involved.

Top Bottom