• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best DLC of all time??

GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony.

I'd say the full Episodes From Liberty City pack should be taken as a whole rather than either separate game.

TLaD was kinda underwhelming but I liked the context that it added to the story.

I'm still playing through TBoGT but it's definitely an improvement.

I like how all three stories weave into each other.

Van Bur3n

latest

One of the best narratives, if not the best one, in all of Fallout. Highly underrated.

Nick

Immediately I think of Left Behind. It expanded on my idea of who Ellie was, and for that I was grateful. Just wish it was longer. :(

latest

One of the best narratives, if not the best one, in all of Fallout. Highly underrated.

It was my least favorite New Vegas DLC by a long shot lol, yeah the narrative was good but the gameplay segments were a special kind of awful.

For me I loved Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2, Trespasser for DAI was great too. Oh yeah and Old Hunters of course. I wasn't a huge fan of Witcher 3 vanilla but I've gotta respect the amount of content in Blood and Wine.

Van Bur3n

It was my least favorite New Vegas DLC by a long shot lol, yeah the narrative was good but the gameplay segments were a special kind of awful.

For me I loved Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2, Trespasser for DAI was great too.

I never had a problem with the gameplay, and if anything, I actually quite liked the different challenge it provided. With a survival horror experience with great character interaction and combat encounters that require a little more thought, I found it a welcome change of pace that stood out from the typical Fallout DLC where you run and gun until you get your loot and the DLC is over.

I never had a problem with the gameplay, and if anything, I actually quite liked the different challenge it provided. With a survival horror experience with great character interaction and combat encounters that require a little more thought, I found it a welcome change of pace that stood out from the typical Fallout DLC where you run and gun until you get your loot and the DLC is over.

The problem is they removed many of the possible gameplay builds which is a key for Fallout. The gameplay didn't require any more thought, it just required the same approach to each encounter lol. The beeping cameras at the end were awful trial and error too.

phanphare

Banned
forgot about Left Behind, that's up there too. in my mind I always just compartmentalize that one as a proper video game experience, not DLC, because it's so on point.

This took way too long to post. This is the GOAT DLC

I loved RDR, one of my favorites last gen but I couldn't finish undead nightmare. Felt like it was just going around from outpost to outpost fighting boring zombie enemies, and then the fact that they'd constantly get overrun after you already captured them, meh.

MartyStu

Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone
Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine
Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues

No surprise that these are two of my favorite games of all time.

Van Bur3n

The problem is they removed many of the possible gameplay builds which is a key for Fallout. The gameplay didn't require any more thought, it just required the same approach to each encounter lol. The beeping cameras at the end were awful trial and error too.

I found there were a lot of ways to approaches that accommodated many different builds. Melee, unarmed, sneak, guns, energy weapons, explosives, speech, even survival. They took away your gear, but they provided enough for every build to perform in the DLC.

I think it most certainly required a little more thought put into the situations you're in than in the usual gameplay of New Vegas. You have scarcer resources to deal with threats such as turrets from afar or ghost people which must be killed a certain way. Also, holograms that you cannot fight and have to navigate around were definitely not dealt with in a similar fashion to any other enemy. They were practically a puzzle of their own, as was the slave collar and the explosive frequency.

oSoLucky

It's sad that there are only about 10 responses here when nearly ever game gets DLC. It's a shame that so many are worthless cash grabs. The best ones that I've played are Artorias of the Abyss, The Old Hunters and Lair of the Shadow Broker and no others(that I've played) even come close.

The Muramasa Rebirth DLCs were pretty good, but there were 5 and each individual one wasn't a game changer. Together they were a pretty good package though. I never got around to Undead Nightmare, TBoGT or NSLU.

Van Bur3n

I definitely preferred it to Old World Blues and Honest Hearts.

I liked Old World Blues but some of the conversations go on rather too long for the sake of making constant punch lines to its wacky humor. There is about enough dialogue in the intro alone of the DLC that can last up to 30 minutes. Honest Hearts was extremely short-lived to get much out of it. Which is a shame, because Joshua Graham is perhaps one of the best characters in Fallout.

I found there were a lot of ways to approaches that accommodated many different builds. Melee, unarmed, sneak, guns, energy weapons, explosives, speech, even survival. They took away your gear, but they provided enough for every build to perform in the DLC.

I think it most certainly required a little more thought put into the situations you're in than in the usual gameplay of New Vegas. You have scarcer resources to deal with threats such as turrets from afar or ghost people which must be killed a certain way. Also, holograms that you cannot fight and have to navigate around were definitely not dealt with in a similar fashion to any other enemy. They were practically a puzzle of their own, as was the slave collar and the explosive frequency.

thinking-face.png

No love for the Muramasa Rebirth DLC in here? That's a shame. Four unique characters with more customization than the base game, a charming narrative (at least for the first ending of each character), and a total of a dozen new bosses. You can tell that DLC was an experiment for how to improve the formula for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since that game has far better customization than Muramasa did. I sunk tons of time into this DLC and can only hope they'll continue to release post-launch content like that into their future titles as well.

TheMoon

RE5 Lost in Nightmares
Thank goodness, took you long enough, GAF. ;p

Really???!

No love for the Muramasa Rebirth DLC in here? That's a shame.

:)

The Muramasa Rebirth DLCs were pretty good, but there were 5 and each individual one wasn't a game changer. Together they were a pretty good package though. I never got around to Undead Nightmare, TBoGT or NSLU.

LordOfChaos

Burial at Sea episode 2 was great, liked it better than the Infinite campaign. Not sure if "best of all time", but an appreciable one that comes to mind.

The Old Hunters is fantastic and well worth it, but I don't agree when people say it's better than the main campaign.

oSoLucky

No love for the Muramasa Rebirth DLC in here? That's a shame. Four unique characters with more customization than the base game, a charming narrative (at least for the first ending of each character), and a total of a dozen new bosses. You can tell that DLC was an experiment for how to improve the formula for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since that game has far better customization than Muramasa did. I sunk tons of time into this DLC and can only hope they'll continue to release post-launch content like that into their future titles as well.

Check post 131 =D. Destiny The Taken King was really good too. It destroyed Year 1 and even made a lot of it better.

SpartanN92

Banned
My favorite is definitely Shivering Isles. That expansion blew my mind at the possibilities of DLC and unfortunately that is where DLC peaked as well.

Fallout New Vegas had some fantastic DLC and even Fallout 3 had a couple decent ones but nothing has yet lived up to what we got with Shivering Isles.
Hell not even Skyrim itself was as good as Shivering Isles.

Red Dead Undead Nightmare wasn't bad but you could definitely tell the quality gap that exists between the main RDR team and the DLC team.

Halo has had some great DLC map packs. The Halo 2-3 map packs were top notch and CoD 4, MW2 and BLOPS1 even had some really good ones.

Van Bur3n

Which doesn't have to mean every encounter with them has to be approached the same way, or can be due to scarce resources. Do you have enough ammo to waste on dealing with them quickly from afar, or will you save ammo at the risk of a close melee approach? As for the ways you can deal with them, timing your explosives from afar, sneaking up close to the ghost people enough to bash their head in with a melee weapon, charging them outright with a companion and alarming all of the ghost people, shooting their heads with a gun or the holorifle from afar, going in guns blazing (which I eventually did during the Gala Event), sneak past every single one.

Their head needs to be destroyed (or they must be mutilated), but that doesn't mean the approach is the same every time. And that is just with the ghost people.

Jaraghan

Agreed with Witcher 3 and Soulsborne stuff.

I'll throw in Taken King as well. Massively updated the game into something way more enjoyable for me.

Top Bottom