• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

DNAbro

ixpjn1qdarwuohuu5d.gif

pack it up people we have a winner.

Factoring in framerate, I'd go with Forza 5.

All of them look great with the exception of NFS Rivals, not a fan of Frostbite for racing games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Once Metro Redux comes out I think I'll do a comparison between that and Wolfenstein on PS4. Should be pretty conparable since they're 1080/60 and similar games.

viveks86

Which means Forza 6 is going to come out swinging. And it'll be that much better when we see the comparisons between Forza 8 and GT7.

Hey! Driveclub will have sequels too! I hereby pronounce all comparisons unfair and invalid because the games didn't release on the same day. Ha! Pack it up people!

I sure hope so! How far away do you think we are from the next Forza? 2 years?
That's my hope. Perfection would be bouncing between Horizon and Motorsport, but we'll see if that's how it all plays out. I think Turn 10 will want to add one of the big asks for the next Forza, whether that's night racing or weather or even something like rally. They can only avoid that stuff for so long, right?

i4yVgexokQJRf.gif

Hey! Driveclub will have sequels too! I hereby pronounce all comparisons unfair and invalid because the games didn't release on the same day. Ha! Pack it up people!
No u!

Forza 8 > all

VanWinkle

More NFS Rivals (PS4). Shots not from me but various GAFers.

This is the game most comparable to Driveclub. 30fps, a lot of geometry, day/night cycle and similar environments. I think the game looks really great, and some of the things, like the motion blur, texture resolution, and AF look better (I still think Driveclub beats it quite easily overall).

The rain effect is also awesome. Gif courtesy of nbnt:

11035134965_ffe23ae885_o.gif

leadbelly

Banned
Well, Project Cars does look great, but if we're talking purely from a graphical standpoint, I would go with Drive Club. It has much more rich and detailed environments and better lighting. I don't know exactly how car detail compares by itself, I would assume Project Cars might just edge it in that respect, but I don't think it is a huge difference.

Of course IQ will always be better on PC.

arhra

I sure hope so! How far away do you think we are from the next Forza? 2 years?
T10 have released a game every two years ever since the first one on the OG Xbox back in 2005. Longest dev cycle being FM3, which shifted from the May launches of 1/2 to the October/November dates they've used since. So if we don't get FM6 in late 2015, I'll be very, very surprised. The only real question is how much feature development they get done, and how many cars/tracks they can add in the two years since FM5.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Overall package I'd say Drive Club. Project Cars on console is below that but on PC it's quite exquisite. The other ones shouldn't even be in the same breath.

a graphics comparison thread! on gaf! bring on the compressed gifs and subnative jpegs

I love Forza 5's look but Driveclub is really giving the game a run for its money and then some. I haven't paid much mind to Project Cars but that game looks crazy good! And Mario Kart, eh, it looks great with a solid art style and some good lighting but I'm not sure I'd place it ahead of some of these titles mang

theWB27

Overall package I'd say Drive Club. Project Cars on console is below that but on PC it's quite exquisite. The other ones shouldn't even be in the same breath.

But Project Cars looks the way it does on PS4 with weather effects and 60fps....how does DC have an overall better package than that?

Stillmatic

In terms of visuals, not performance:

Project Cars > Driveclub > NFS Rivals > Forza 5

In terms of performance, not visuals:

Project Cars > Forza 5 > Drivelub = NFS Rivals?

Project Cars is king for now.

But Project Cars looks the way it does on PS4 with weather effects and 60fps....how does DC have an overall better package than that?
What I saw of DriveClub on the PS4 had very aggressive DOF. Maybe I havent seen the best stuff, but I think its easy for people to imagine all the gorgeous PC footage of pCars and assume the console versions will be pretty much the same.

Anybody have any Project Cars console footage handy?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

From what I've seen they both look good but on the consoles DC has an edge with me.

Bearing in mind I specifically mentioned the PC version is almost unfair to compare.

nib95

Banned
DP.

I did an awful comparison of F5, PCars and DriveCLub in an earlier thread. Bare in mind, two of the ProjectCars shots and 1 Forza 5 shot are direct feed captures and not captures from video like the rest, including all the DriveClub one's. So be warned, there's compression artefacts galore lol.

Forza top.
Project Cars middle.
DriveClub bottom.

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

13908171700_5c153280d7_o.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at115043.jpg~original

---

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114904.jpg~original

---

recording_2014-03-08_flja6.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114826.jpg~original

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0014.jpg

mediumish249j00.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114525.jpg~original

viveks86

It's difficult to say. We need a lot more media for project cars to understand what cutbacks the console version has. Just those handful of screenshots isn't enough to say which is a "better visual package"

Forza 5 looks pretty good when it is a small window gif with compressed footage on a phone.

Watch Forza 5 on the big screen and it is .... Not the leap you were expecting.

Only one of the multitude of reasons the comparison via gif thing is silly.

velociraptor

More NFS Rivals (PS4). Shots not from me but various GAFers.

This is the game most comparable to Driveclub. 30fps, a lot of geometry, day/night cycle and similar environments. I think the game looks really great, and some of the things, like the motion blur, texture resolution, and AF look better (I still think Driveclub beats it quite easily overall).

The rain effect is also awesome. Gif courtesy of nbnt:

11035134965_ffe23ae885_o.gif
NFS Rivals looks beautiful. I love the effects and motion blur.

The previous vs thread for Forza/Gran Turismo seemed to do a good job of keeping other discussion threads a little neater, and made a heck of a fun "Reader's Digest" of the best of the genre. Screenshots, gifs and webms are all good. The only rules I'd like to see adhered to are as follows:

(1) Please name the game. In the title, in the post, whichever. Yes, it may be obvious to a lot of us, but it just keeps things simpler for everyone.
(2) Specify if it's from a photo mode or real-time.
(3) Please be careful with quoting long/large image-posts. It's gonna be choppy enough in here for mobile users as it is.

Driveclub Gameplay:
iRURT8lox4yYL.gif

Forza 5 Gameplay:
iHQUOHCorWjI.gif

NFS Rivals Gameplay:
ibp7SIDzgn3hIp.gif

Project Cars Gameplay:
iWVY4gkYJpwVx.gif

Mario Kart 8 Gameplay:
ilM4nBDZIapam.gif

The format's down to whatever the person contributing them wants to use. That being said, things like the Lynda.com tutorial for how to easily produce WebM content might be worth a look for those of you thinking about contributing media.
I almost LOLed when I scrolled down and saw Mario Kart included with these serious racers but to be honest, it's the only one that I'm interested in playing of the bunch.

I think DC, Forza 5 and Project Cars look great. Really there is not going to be much in it graphically between the top of the line racing games. As Killzone SF shows though a game can be graphically amazing and still be crap. I'd rather a great selection of tracks and features than slightly better reflections.

benzy

In-game framebuffer screens. Forza shots courtesy of Shinn

DriveClub

driveclub1apja6.png

Forza 5

recording_2014-04-05_yakh6.jpg

DriveClub

driveclub2cpr2g.png

Forza 5

recording_2014-04-05_3sj9b.jpg

DriveClub

driveclub3nik6r.png

Forza 5

iMElGjsFDebou.png

DriveClub

driveclub4fqr9o.png

Forza 5

iEvrG0YszcirC.png

DriveClub

driveclub5hljcl.png

Forza 5

DriveClub

driveclub6f0jjw.png

Forza 5

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
they all look quite stunning in their own way. also, maybe we should hold off on project cars till we've seen a bit more of the "current gen" version?

Out of all of the games in this thread, I'd say graphically, it's a tie between pCARS and NFS Rivals (although I've never touched Rivals on console so I can't judge that part).

Forza would be close behind, though.

I almost LOLed when I scrolled down and saw Mario Kart included with these serious racers but to be honest, it's the only one that I'm interested in playing of the bunch.

I know right lol. Though I have to wonder just how serious they are taking Drive Club's actual racing aspect if they are targeting a maximum of 30fps. Seems they are putting the graphical showcase before anything else.

VICI0US

i personally find realistic/sim racers boring.. so it's mario kart/wipeout/f-zero/excite ____ /etc all day for me.

nib95

Banned
How do we know the DC shots are direct from framebuffer?

Not just that, but they're not direct gameplay shots so as far as I'm concerned they're pretty pointless. Lots of racers add effects etc in beauty shots or replays etc, that's why I'm interested only in a direct gameplay capture comparison.

Hopefully we get some DriveClub one's closer to it's review and release window. Also, the new gameplay videos they've posted actually have better textures, crowd geometry etc compared to these screens, so I can only assume these captures are from an older build.

Top Bottom