• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Galdelico

Just read about the patch and... Damn, it's an awesome one, can't wait for it to be out.
And if you don't mind Ravidrath, can I ask you a couple of questions (they are about very stupid and minor stuff, but still I'm interested)?

- Is the patch not fixing the 'Unlock full game' line which is still visible - yet darkened - even if you already have purchased the full game?

- When exactly is the art gallery gonna be unlocked under the 'extras' section?

Thanks in advance dude.

Ravidrath

4Gamer posted their interview!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/173/G017316/20120713107/

Of course, it's in moonspeak.

Just read about the patch and... Damn, it's an awesome one, can't wait for it to be out.
And if you don't mind Ravidrath, can I ask you a couple of questions (they are about very stupid and minor stuff, but still I'm interested)?

- Is the patch not fixing the 'Unlock full game' line which is still visible - yet darkened - even if you already have purchased the full game?

- When exactly is the art gallery gonna be unlocked under the 'extras' section?

Thanks in advance dude.

I think the "Unlock Full Game" this is a MS TRC thing? We wanted to remove it before and I think Konami flagged us for it.

Art gallery has been delayed, unfortunately. :\

Galdelico

I think the "Unlock Full Game" this is a MS TRC thing? We wanted to remove it before and I think Konami flagged us for it.

Art gallery has been delayed, unfortunately. :\
Thanks mate,
is 'MS TRC' (never heard of it) anything Microsoft related? Because I got the game on PS3 too and it's the same...

And congrats for the japanese interview/coverage. :)

---- Character specific changes ----

Parasoul:
- Lengthen DHC window on Motor Brigade by 8f.
- Motor Brigade now drags opponent downward on hit, allowing more of the super to connect more of the time. Hitstop on opponent increased slightly for the same reason.
Definitely two of my favorite character specific changes. Her motor brigade did annoy me because it kinda tossed my enemy updwards which resulted in less damage. It also required a really early DHC which made getting all of the bikes kinda hard sometimes.
4Gamer posted their interview!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/173/G017316/20120713107/

Of course, it's in moonspeak.
google translate ftw
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sg-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes.163719/page-2#post-7221383

Here's the new list of regional MP filters:

North America (West Coast)
North America (East Coast)
North America (Midwest)
North America (Gulf Coast)
North America (Canada)
Central America
South America (North)
South America (Brazil)
South America (South)
Europe (UK)
Europe (Continental)
Middle East
Asia (Continental)
Asia (Southeast)
Asia (Japan)
Australia
Africa
Pacific

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sg-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes.163719/page-2#post-7221952

Well, you can buy DLC colors? Those should be released the week after the patch hits!

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sg-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes.163719/page-2#post-7223922

Oh, yeah - we're doing a bundle of all 8 character packs for $5.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sg-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes.163719/page-3#post-7234447

For the time being. I have this really awesome thing I want to do that would revolutionize how combos are taught (yeah, I don't usually talk like this but it's a REALLY BIG DEAL) and I want to do it right. People that came for some of the pre-release testing know what I'm talking about.(^.^)
Some stuff I ran by in SRK that I have not seen posted here.

Ravidrath

I really like the new online MP filters, should make it much easier to find a good match.

I'm a little concerned people are going to overfilter and make it harder on themselves to find matches with this level of granularity, but at least they'll understand why now, and can adjust from there.

FSLink

Banned
I'd suggest a $1 unlock all colors 7-10 DLC for folks too lazy to do the work for it.

This please. I don't mind doing it once, but since I own it on both 360 and PS3 and plan on getting it on PC as well, I don't mind throwing a $1 for support and for convenience.

Ravidrath

This please. I don't mind doing it once, but since I own it on both 360 and PS3 and plan on getting it on PC as well, I don't mind throwing a $1 for support and for convenience.

Wish you guys had said this sooner, because I think it's too late to add this now, unfortunately. :\

Ravidrath

All I can say that is the most weird uppercut I've ever seen. Speaking of which, are you guys any closer to publishing the game in Japan?

We've got three publishers we're talking to right now, but it's still very much in the early exchange NDAs, feeling each other out, etc.

We want an arcade release and a PSN/XBLA release, and without splitting it between multiple publishers. They all have different plans about how they'd like to release them, so we're working all that out still.

PBalfredo

Between bouts of throwing wads of cash at Valve during the Steam Sale, I thought to ask, do we have a release date for the PC version of Skullgirls yet?

Ravidrath

Link? I want to know where it ended up. Maybe I can buy it before you can reclaim it...

Just kidding!

Sorry, I need to try and resolve this amicably and anonymously right now.

If I haven't gotten an answer in a few days, I will move to destroy him and everyone will know his name.

kirblar

Sorry, I need to try and resolve this amicably and anonymously right now.

If I haven't gotten an answer in a few days, I will move to destroy him and everyone will know his name.
Destroy them. Hear the lamentations of their women. Leave nothing in your wake.

I'm not kidding. Even if you get it returned peacefully, expose this person, because they'll just turn around and do it to others.

Masaki_

This is sick.

nxbJJl.jpg

Rest of Fan Art Friday here: http://revergelabs.com/2012/07/fan-art-friday-44/

Dachande

Any more news on the patch? Me and a friend are waiting for it to drop before we get back into SG again.

What about the Peacock stick?

http://canopykingdom.wordpress.com/ is one of the more dedicated fansites for Skullgirls when it comes to covering its presence at major events. It updated recently linking the YT vids for a tournament with MastaCJ(you may know him from Marvel 3) in attendance.

Guitalex (the one playing against CJ in those vids) definitely has the best Ms. Fortune ... ever. It seems he knows optimum combos for damn near literally any situation and consistently it feels like just pulls combos out of his ass when the head is near him. Definitely the strongest use I've seen of Fortune's head to date and I'd like to see Guitalex personally take on some majors for the game as well.

Edit : Random awesome fanart! (I take no credit!)

alstein

Question for Ravi if he's still around- is the version of Skullgirls at MLG going to be the patched version?

Oh, it got confirmed for MLG a few days back along with VF as a side game.

Given how I feel about Persona, going to give this game a second chance- though it's still not the type of game I understand well.

alstein

I wonder if there are gonna be even more things added since apparently there's a delay.

I think at this point there has to be in order to get attention, or Skullgirls should just lay low until next year- bring out 4 DLC chars at once- and just call it Super Skullgirls.

Reverge is in a weird position where people respect the game, but not enough folks like it in order for it to be viable competitively. (please don't take offense, this is pretty much the common line in the FGC). No one is outright saying the game sucks, but releasing now in the middle of Persona/TTT2/DOA5, folks aren't going to pay attention. (and DOA5 is going to do better than I originally expected, but might still have a tough time)

You might as well wait a few months, and come out with something big if you guys can afford to wait.

I think at this point there has to be in order to get attention, or Skullgirls should just lay low until next year- bring out 4 DLC chars at once- and just call it Super Skullgirls.

Reverge is in a weird position where people respect the game, but not enough folks like it in order for it to be viable competitively. (please don't take offense, this is pretty much the common line in the FGC). No one is outright saying the game sucks, but releasing now in the middle of Persona/TTT2/DOA5, folks aren't going to pay attention. (and DOA5 is going to do better than I originally expected, but might still have a tough time)

You might as well wait a few months, and come out with something big if you guys can afford to wait.

If they did something like that, they'd have to stress that it was an update, and not just a rehash - otherwise they'll just have people calling them out for milking the game. I mean, they'd get called out for it anyway on pure reaction, but at least some effort to quell the backlash would cut down the Capcom adjective jokes by 30-40%.

And if they were to do something like that, it would have to come after the patch that's coming down the pipeline is released. People know it's out there and have seen it in action or have read the changelist, and a bunch of them are waiting for it to come out before they pick Skullgirls back up again. If Reverge Labs decided to hold off on releasing it in favor of rolling out a big update months down the line, that would definitely piss people off.

alstein

If they did something like that, they'd have to stress that it was an update, and not just a rehash - otherwise they'll just have people calling them out for milking the game. I mean, they'd get called out for it anyway on pure reaction, but at least some effort to quell the backlash would cut down the Capcom adjective jokes by 30-40%.

And if they were to do something like that, it would have to come after the patch that's coming down the pipeline is released. People know it's out there and have seen it in action or have read the changelist, and a bunch of them are waiting for it to come out before they pick Skullgirls back up again. If Reverge Labs decided to hold off on releasing it in favor of rolling out a big update months down the line, that would definitely piss people off.

Probably good to quietly patch the fixes, then save other new toys/changes and new chars for a completely new game (with discount for folks who own Skullgirls- if that's doable)- that will also get around MS's limits on patches.

I just don't think incremental changes or 1 new char at a time is going to get Skullgirls noticed, and the game needs attention in a major way since it's dying prematurely due to strong comp for other games- but that strong comp is going to die out in early 2013.

V_Arnold

I am so sad that our tiny FGC did NOT switch to Skullgirls, we spent a month with struggling to get into SfxT, then realizing it is a bad game,then we jumped back to UMVC3 for some reason.
I was kinda good with Parasoul, no one really beat me much in in our first to tens - not that it matters by now...

Is the patch out? Maybe it will give it a much needed push. Especially now that Persona4:Arena is closing in... -.-

Updates may as well be a rehash in this super competitive genre now. Even if people can tell the difference they'll just pick up one of the other amazing fighters released this year. All of this competition is part of the reason why SFxT is being dropped so quickly after EVO in the first place. Imagine how powerful an effect that would have on a niche game like Skullgirls next year. No one is going to bother spending money and time unless it's a DLC expansion. My mistake if that is what you mean.

Updates may as well be a rehash in this super competitive genre now. Even if people can tell the difference they'll just pick up one of the other amazing fighters released this year. All of this competition is part of the reason why SFxT is being dropped so quickly after EVO in the first place. Imagine how powerful an effect that would have on a niche game like Skullgirls next year. No one is going to bother spending money and time unless it's a DLC expansion. My mistake if that is what you mean.

I wasn't thinking about that, but that's a valid point as well. People are spoilt for choice, and they might not consider going back to a previously released game for an update when there's already a bunch of newer games out, and even more on the way.

I think I'd be okay with Reverge sitting on multiple characters at a time prepping for a "Super" Skullgirls expansion patch set for release at a strategic time. What I'm not sure of however is what exactly that would mean for the community as a whole. I feel like waiting for the extra 3-5 months required to get all the content required for a larger patch (multiple characters) vs. a smaller one (single character) may just motivate the already small community to move on to other games. Maybe for a game like SG the gradual update approach is the way to go to keep a consistent community of players interested in the game. Especially if they're timed in places where there's lack of releases to begin with. I mean what is there in terms of new 2D fighters releasing from now until BlazBlue 3? If we can come back to pre-release levels of Player - Developer interaction then I see no reason why we'd need to wait.

It's really going to come down to how much of an effect the looming patch is going to have on the current community. Will we have a significant amount of people coming back to give SG 1.1 a legitimate second chance? I can only imagine the PC port is another situation where theres a fairly decent fraction of people just playing the waiting game to jump in. Japanese audiences included.

I've kept on playing this game despite the looming patch and have had great success transitioning my team to a post-patch setup, frankly there's no other game I'd rather be playing right now. Despite the waning online community and my attempts to jump back into SF4 or SCV nothing's really stuck like SG has for me and obviously theres no point going back to BBCS (not extend) and Vanilla MvC3. I'm still contemplating picking up P4A to play alongside it but we'll see I suppose.

Patch aside I think a lot of us are just starving for information on additional modes, the state of a canon story mode, and those delicious DLC characters. Unfortunately Reverge/Autumn simply haven't been able to respond in that regard, here's hoping whatevers holding Reverge back at the moment gets resolved and we can finally move on to whatever's next for Skullgirls.

alstein

They would move on, but releasing a bunch of new chars+ a rebalance would bring folks back. Just like how sequels work in other fighters.

Also you'd be coming out in a friendlier time without a ton of great fighters released right around your very good game.

NEO0MJ

Also you'd be coming out in a friendlier time without a ton of great fighters released right around your very good game.

That's a good point. Other than injustice I don't think there would be any other big fighter early next year, and I don't see Skullgirls competing with that game's market. And while Blazblue CP is coming, it will probably come out pretty late in the year.

The patch is needed. Europe can't even play the game outside their borders right now. Reverge has probably got tons of ideas up their sleeves for stuff they could package a $15 expansion(more colors, expanded stories, lobby functionality, BB style data cards) with multiple characters. It's also easier to convince people to try DLC characters if they are accompanied by some massive additions(not gameplay related, the patch fixes just about every issue) to the game so I think it's worth considering.

Selling characters in bulk is not a bad idea. I'm not begging for info on that though. They already told us to wait. The patch is all we need right now. Doubt has just been cast in people's hearts is all.

So Master Chibi recently emailed Autumn games regarding the state of the patch and this is what he got back :

AutumnGames said:
I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but creating and putting out any content on PS3/X360 is a very complex process. There are half a dozen companies which have a key role in the process and if even one of them gets out of synch with the rest it can slow things down. There were some synch issues. Good news is they seem to have all been resolved last week and the patch is going to start the testing and bug fixing process this week. This means it will still be several weeks before the patch goes live as even if everything goes perfectly (i.e. there are no bugs found during testing which need to be fixed) it takes at least 4 weeks from the time a patch starts testing to when it goes live through XBL/PSN. If there are bugs found which need to be fixed, that will add additional time. As for the PC version, much of the work done on the patch goes into the code base for the PC, so due to this and the fact that it is a small dev team, they need to fix all the bugs in the patch before they can move on to PC specific work.

We like the rest of the Skullgirls community wish both the patch and PC version could have been released much sooner, unfortunately, as usually happens in game development, things end up taking longer than you originally think it will.

Bolding key information and ... there you have it folks! I'm inclined to believe that the 4 week figure for the patch is a "worst case scenario" estimate in terms of how long it would take the testing process to complete assuming there werent any glaring bug issues found, when all is said and done though at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ravidrath

Hey guys.

Sorry I've been so quiet, but there hasn't been anything concrete enough to report.

But... that (sort of) changes now!

The patch has been submitted to Konami for testing, so we're almost there.

I say we sick the 4chan folks on the ass that stole the stick from Evo. I'm surprised the authorities can't be called about it, since it's stolen property.

Hey guys.

Sorry I've been so quiet, but there hasn't been anything concrete enough to report.

But... that (sort of) changes now!

The patch has been submitted to Konami for testing, so we're almost there.

Great to see you guys back in action!

I don't know if Mike is still heading out to TheRunback tournaments that the LevelUp guys host but it'd be cool if we got some footage from those events and maybe had them put up on the Skullgirls youtube channel. I think Mike's expressed an interest in getting a replay enabled build out there to do just that but we haven't heard much from him after that point.

Maybe releasing footage of people playing the patched game at the events as well would do a lot to sort of renew interest in it as its finally been put through testing. Hope all goes well for SG in the future!

Top Bottom