• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wonder how devastating it must be to work on a game, and suddenly it's cancelled

iidesuyo

There are countless games that have never been released, but behind every one of them there's a story. So many hours of work, for like one or two years or so.

And then someone pulls the plug and everything you've done was just an insane waste of time. Maybe you got paid and got some experience, but it must still be frustrating as hell.

sublimit

Banned
It definitely must feel disappointing but i think this is a fear that every developer must live with it constantly regardless of how big or small a project is.
At least they still gain valuable experience from a cancelled project so they can learn from their mistakes.

shiftcaps

Neo Member
Devs ain't heros, it's a job. Projects get canceled in every industry. Direction shifts. Budget is cut. Clients leave. Acquisitions take place. How many authors write books or musicians record albums that are never published?

Cancelations suck, but life's about the journey, not the destination. If a dev does hard work that they're proud of, hones their craft, develops bonds and relationships with their team, and squeezes the most out of every moment, then the time working on a canceled game isn't "wasted" at all.

trugs

Neo Member
Devs ain't heros, it's a job. Projects get canceled in every industry. Direction shifts. Budget is cut. Clients leave. Acquisitions take place. How many authors write books or musicians record albums that are never published?

Cancelations suck, but life's about the journey, not the destination. If a dev does hard work that they're proud of, hones their craft, develops bonds and relationships with their team, and squeezes the most out of every moment, then the time working on a canceled game isn't "wasted" at all.

"in every industry" - the difference is that in creative industries, it can be a lot more devastating (opposed to say designing a website or writing programs for a tax firm). And yes, it is wasted (well a lot of it is). It's not just a journey, it's a journey with a destination. One of the major elements of creativity is for others to experience it. Sure it was a nice journey, but as an artist, missing out on the end user experience is a huge blow.

iidesuyo

But if an author writes a book and no one publishes it, it's still his, no other people are involved. If a publisher shuts down a game, all the rights and the work are lost, because of copyright. Or not?

It's happened to me more than once in my career. It's a volatile industry. One cancellation was after 3 years work on an yet-to-be-announced game and that cancellation closed the company overnight. On my wedding anniversary, no less.

Pretty devastating. More for some than others. A lot of people are extremely dedicated and put a lot of themselves into their work. Seeing that evaporate is tough.

I no longer work in the industry. I miss the good bits, I don't miss the bad bits. I made sure to appreciate it when it was good. No regrets.

iidesuyo

Schrödinger's cat;253119052 said:
It's happened to me more than once in my career. It's a volatile industry. One cancellation was after 3 years work on an yet-to-be-announced game and that cancellation closed the company overnight. On my wedding anniversary, no less.

Pretty devastating. More for some than others. A lot of people are extremely dedicated and put a lot of themselves into their work. Seeing that evaporate is tough.

I no longer work in the industry. I miss the good bits, I don't miss the bad bits. I made sure to appreciate it when it was good. No regrets.

But did you take some experience, friendships, money with you? Something that lasts, so the time doesn't feel wasted?

Dunan

And often NDAs prevent these developers from even putting the work on their resumes, don't they? That really bothers me.

Shifty

As someone who has done work on a commercial game that never saw release, I can say it feels pretty disappointing.

After a while though, the realities of the industry set in, and it doesn't really matter any more.
Perhaps you do some reflection and realise that the project was a mess and doomed from the get-go. Perhaps it really was awesome, and could have been great if it had made it.

Last word is that it didn't, so take what you can from the experience, move on with your life and use what you've learned to make something better.

Devs ain't heroes, it's a job. Projects get canceled in every industry. Direction shifts. Budget is cut. Clients leave. Acquisitions take place. How many authors write books or musicians record albums that are never published?

Yup.

MC Safety

There are countless games that have never been released, but behind every one of them there's a story. So many hours of work, for like one or two years or so.

And then someone pulls the plug and everything you've done was just an insane waste of time. Maybe you got paid and got some experience, but it must still be frustrating as hell.

No maybe about it: If you're a professional, you get paid for the work you do. And you don't need a boxed copy of a game or a published credit to feel a sense of accomplishment.

I worked on a canceled game. I collected my checks and moved on. It would have been nice to see the game released, but I had no control over that.

n0razi

This happens all the time in every industry, not just gaming. TV pilots, Ad campaigns, software dev in general, retail/restaurant closures...

wondermega

I've worked on some cancelled games, I can say in each case I wasn't particularly shocked they got canned. I wasn't tremendously happy about it in any case, but far from crushed. I was paid for my time, developed skills, still got enrichment out of the process. In some ways, it's actually more of a bummer to release a game that wasn't ready for delivery. When you get feedback that people weren't happy with what you did, and you can completely understand why, then that actually can feel like more of a failure.

iidesuyo

I've worked on some cancelled games, I can say in each case I wasn't particularly shocked they got canned. I wasn't tremendously happy about it in any case, but far from crushed. I was paid for my time, developed skills, still got enrichment out of the process. In some ways, it's actually more of a bummer to release a game that wasn't ready for delivery. When you get feedback that people weren't happy with what you did, and you can completely understand why, then that actually can feel like more of a failure.

What (console) generation are you talking about?

If I may ask?

It's a bit relieving, especially if you weren't that into it. If it was a game I was truly passionate about, I'd be crushed. But GENERALLY these things are canceled at a fairly early-ish point, before you start really optimizing and loving it.

t_wilson01

I imagine it would be far worst to work on a game that ultimately gets criticized for being bad. That would affect me more.

Shifty

In some ways, it's actually more of a bummer to release a game that wasn't ready for delivery.

Yeah, I can attest to this too. When deadlines close in and men in suits start making demands, there's not much more you can do other than make it as playable as possible and hope it's not a total trash fire.

Arex

Yeah it sucks sometimes, happened to me a couple of times.

The most frustrating ones are the one where it wasn't announced / shown much yet, but was quite far in development, and then it gets cancelled for reasons unrelated to the game itself. The sucky thing with that is most of the time we can't say or show what we've worked / spent our year or two on lol. (we get paid at least haha)

xviper

every time i read about a cancellation in anything related to gaming, i think about P.T and how it could have easily been a masterpiece, damn you konami and damn you kojima for asking for too much money

Happend to me a couple times. It's frustrating for sure but sometimes also a relieve if the project was heading in a bad direction anyway. In general i try not to get too emotionaly attached to my professional work. It's very common that a lot of things you work on will be scrapped even if the game gets released. Just a side effect of the iterative process. If you work in this industry it's important to keep working on a few personal projects on the side so you don't find yourself in a situation where you have nothing recent to show for on your portfolio.

Maybe if it was a game you created and had a passion for. Like if you were the lead. But if you’re the other 99% of the people working on a game it’s just a job. I guess if you did good work and lost the extra entry on your resume it might suck.

wondermega

What (console) generation are you talking about?

If I may ask?

Games I worked on that got cancelled? Civil war generals 3 for PC (98 I think), Sierra vampire RPG (don't remember the working title), Obsidian Aliens RPG. Also a NHL super heroes thing about 6yrs ago now that I'm thinking about it..

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I can tell you first hand that it sucks. Especially when there's a ton of belief tied into what could be. For some, it's like ending a relationship suddenly that was not perfect, but had a ton of hope in it for a projected outcome.

The worst is working on a thing for ages that was poorly directed across all exec strands, but has to release on a delay.

That work gets bursts of extensions, but in very short pieces of scope, meaning improvements planned to be meaningful don't get the breathing room they need to be developed into what they should be.

For all involved, it becomes a well of hope that keeps getting diluted by the reality of short scope improvements and an architecture that eventually becomes a tower of cards, inflexible to change and deeply flawed and delicate to breakage. It always cracks when you try to be even slightly ambitious. Over time, it gets more and more volatile.

That type of experience plays out like rollercoaster of hope into disappointment, until the game releases to mediocre or just OK "it could've been X" reviews. And the entire team never wants to hear about it ever again, and struggles to see past the waste of X years on such a piece.

I would imagine it's worse for a game dev then other industries. Sure they still learn stuff, but if they are under NDA what do they have for their resume/portfolio to account for the last X number or years? Basically nothing

I remember various devs of duke nukem forever complaining of this

wondermega

I would imagine it's worse for a game dev then other industries. Sure they still learn stuff, but if they are under NDA what do they have for their resume/portfolio to account for the last X number or years? Basically nothing

I remember various devs of duke nukem forever complaining of this

Come on, that's an edge case.

goljanek

Neo Member
This is a well recognized mechanism in behavioral economics. You'll find some noob-friendly explanations in Dan Ariely's book The Upside of Irrationality.

Long story short, seeing you work shred to pieces is devastating to your motivation and can immediately set it to zero but there is no difference between more creative (such as video game design) work and simple, tedious labor.

We all sympathize with devs whose games are cancelled but luckily their are not any more harmed than we are in our respective fields. :)

Thanati

it happened twice for me and each time it was like a punch in the gut and severe disappointment. There was also the uncertainty regarding your job, of course.

We’d worked our hearts out on the titles and then they’re gone in an instant. Yeah, it’s bad. :(

iidesuyo

it happened twice for me and each time it was like a punch in the gut and severe disappointment. There was also the uncertainty regarding your job, of course.

We’d worked our hearts out on the titles and then they’re gone in an instant. Yeah, it’s bad. :(

What title was it?

Top Bottom