• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro. 60 inch 4K HDR Samsung tv. Dazzle me

Huggers

Just picked up a Pro after being out of the modern console game for a good year or 2. I have a nice TV. What are the must haves to show off what the PS4 Pro can do or is the difference between it and the regular PS4 negligible for most games? Open to any genre, just want to see just how good this thing can look. I got COD WW2 bundled with it and I'm massively underwhelmed!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You mean to say you haven't picked up THE BEAST? Oh my gooooooood.

To be factual, the pro won't look as good as the X on his Tv with certain games.

But back on topic

Uncharted lost Legacy looks very good on my Pro.

i-Lo

Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous second son and Infamous last light

I have yet to replay Destiny 2 with HDR but I've heard great things about it.

Uncharted 4 looks washed out in HDR but Lost Legacy looked a lot better to me. Feels like LL was made with HDR in mind whereas 4 they implemented it after the game was done.

Cod ww2 was one of the least impressive games on my x. Try Tombraider, gt, and uncharted and assassins creed origins

Also not sure which samsung model you got but not all hdr sets can do real hdr. They need to be able to output 1000 nits (oled 550 nits) and output 10bit wide color gamut. I had two cheap leds and hdr was underehelming until i went higher end to oled. I also had a midrange sony 900e and that was solid also but not in all games

i-Lo

Uncharted 4 looks washed out in HDR but Lost Legacy looked a lot better to me. Feels like LL was made with HDR in mind whereas 4 they implemented it after the game was done.

Could be that either set was not calibrated or there's a mismatch between tv and hdr input. I say this since, while I've yet to try LL, the base game looked gorgeous with HDR on my set without looking washed out.

CyberChulo

Your tv may not have been setup properly for hdr at the time you played U4. I had no problems when they implemented it and always use it as a showcase for HDR when I show it to my friends.

CyberChulo

Just picked up a Pro after being out of the modern console game for a good year or 2. I have a nice TV. What are the must haves to show off what the PS4 Pro can do or is the difference between it and the regular PS4 negligible for most games? Open to any genre, just want to see just how good this thing can look. I got COD WW2 bundled with it and I'm massively underwhelmed!

To this day, everytime I boot up Horizon, I just smile and look in awe at how great this game looks. I have not seen any other game look this good in my 42 years of gaming.

Imo, these games look good in HDR on the PS4 Pro.

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Final Fantasy 15
Resident Evil 7
Deux Ex Mankind Divided
Mass Effect Andromeda
Gran Turismo Sport
Destiny 2

There are more, but imo these games range from amazing HDR to pretty decent HDR imo.

Norse

60" Samsung 4k her TV? Must be last yrs model as they don't make them now.

Horizon zero Dawn will be a good time to show it off

Just some ideas; not claiming these are THE best but should deliver something unique and pleasant visually on Pro.

Watch Dogs 2. The Pro update eliminates any jaggies, so you get near-perfect IQ. Now go check out a San Francisco or Oakland sunset, especially if you’re from the area.

The Last Guardian. Great game and has that Ueda/Ico charm. ENSURE you set your TV to NOT 4K. This way the game will force itself to run at a clean 30fps on Pro instead of wasting it on resolution and continuing to run at a poor frame rate. The choppy->solid 30fps improvement on Pro takes the game from a B- to an A- or so. (If they’ve patched it to make easier to select good frame rate mode, never mind the trick above. But do it if necessary!)

inFamous: Second Son. Already a looker, and still a looker to this day, this game reaches shocking visual heights on Pro due to a spotless image quality enables by the update. Just gorgeousness and gorgeosity.

Sort of a Horizon in an urban setting, if you will.

Just some ideas; not claiming these are THE best but should deliver something unique and pleasant visually on Pro.

Watch Dogs 2. The Pro update eliminates any jaggies, so you get near-perfect IQ. Now go check out a San Francisco or Oakland sunset, especially if you’re from the area.

The Last Guardian. Great game and has that Ueda/Ico charm. ENSURE you set your TV to NOT 4K. This way the game will force itself to run at a clean 30fps on Pro instead of wasting it on resolution and continuing to run at a poor frame rate. The choppy->solid 30fps improvement on Pro takes the game from a B- to an A- or so. (If they’ve patched it to make easier to select good frame rate mode, never mind the trick above. But do it if necessary!)

inFamous: Second Son. Already a looker, and still a looker to this day, this game reaches shocking visual heights on Pro due to a spotless image quality enables by the update. Just gorgeousness and gorgeosity.

Sort of a Horizon in an urban setting, if you will.

Can’t quite get over that..

Toe-Knee

Oh another one is the surge. It's not the most detailed game or mind blowing use of hdr as it's rather subtle but it's used exceptionally well.

Going down into the underground tunnels with the laser cutter type weapon and having it illuminate the surroundings really does show what is possible with HDR absolute pitch black with perfect highlights and illumination.

Narasaki

Best lighting this generation (and animation). Wish the soundtrack was on the same level as the other Ueda games tho...
the_last_guardian_2.png

nowhat

Only reason I even want a pro is boost mode and the better wifi chip. I don't even want 4K. I want 60FPS 1080p.

So basically you are saying that you don't want a Pro? Because while 1080p@60fps would be preferable to many (so many, in fact, that the sentiment is repeated over and over in multiple threads, whether it is at all relevant to the topic or not), and there are very few games on Pro that does that, boost mode or not, most of the time it is out of the question. The Jaguar cores are ever so slightly less wimpy than those on a base model, but just barely, they are still wimpy. Upping the frame rate is much more likely CPU-bound than GPU-bound.

So it's not going to happen, most of the time, no matter what you want.

As to more on topic, Horizon is stunning, yes, Uncharted and Wipeout too. But I have to make another shoutout to Resident Evil 7, especially since the settings allow you to fine-tune the HDR output to your display (I know GT does this too, but it's just really not my thing so hard to recommend it myself).

Stun Damage

Neo Member
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Ratchet and Clank PS4 are by far the best examples. Other than that, I'd say the general rule is to look for games that checkerboard to 4K rather than the titles which only use standard rendering and end up at the 1440p that Pro's gpu is best suited for (and that doesn't look very well on 4k screens). The latter are very common though, and the console won't provide consistently good 4k experience across the AAA titles.

(Don't be fooled by the Uncharted recommendations, that looks way better supersampled on a 1080p screen. It's definitely not a 4K showcase).

AU Tiger

I would say that not only has the visual upgrade from 1080p to 4k on my setup been awesome but the SOUND of a good 4k Atmos receiver has made a huge difference.

Horizon with full blown 5.2 or whatever my setup techincally is is incredible.

center channel, 2 main speakers, 2 top firing Elac A4 speakers, rear surrounds and subwoofer

Only reason I even want a pro is boost mode and the better wifi chip. I don't even want 4K. I want 60FPS 1080p.
I thought 4k(Even though its a not native) was a waste on console but it really is noticeable with or without HDR. You want a PC If you're looking for 60 fps regardless.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol return that tv asap. its not true hdr.

once you get a real HDR tv (do some research first this time around), get Horizon, Uncharted, Ratchet, GT Sports and Destiny.

nowhat

Its 8bit hdr

That's a bit like the beer I'm drinking is 5% booze, if you get the analogy.

To the OP, sorry, but HDR will not blow your socks off with that TV. Better ask around which games do the resolution bump best with a Pro (and as for that, Horizon and Wipeout are very safe bets).

once you get a real HDR tv (do some research first this time around), get Horizon, Uncharted, Ratchet, GT Sports and Destiny.

Destiny is like one of the worst looking HDR games out there. Game looks better without HDR. Was more impressed with CoD WW2 lol

Toe-Knee

To be fair whilst it isn't optimal it is still a pretty big upgrade over sdr.

No it absolutely does not. Calibrate that set properly or get a better TV.

Edit: even on a KU6400 it should look good. Something's wrong.

Its 8bit hdr
The KU6400 has a 10 bit panel and it even supports wide color gamut.

The american KU7000 is the 6400 elsewhere: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

SRTtoZ

Destiny is like one of the worst looking HDR games out there. Game looks better without HDR. Was more impressed with CoD WW2 lol

Really? I know Destiny 2 in general has some last gen roots but I am significantly more impressed with how it looks post HDR.

Toe-Knee

Really? I know Destiny 2 in general has some last gen roots but I am significantly more impressed with how it looks post HDR.

Me too especially on mercury in the past sections of the infinite forest.

Actually all of mercury looks pretty Damn good. Lots of highlights and dark sections. Being so close to the sun helps!

Huggers

I didn't buy it with a console in mind. For years I've only played older systems on CRTs. Just fancied something new. If I don't get HDR it's not a big deal tbh

Top Bottom