• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I guess it's a blessing in disguise that the Image CMX sale is crap. There's nothing I want that's older than 2 months.

I was going to mention to you earlier that none of the stuff you were wanting to buy was going to be on sale but then I got distracted. My bad.

Kurdel

Banned
Usually I don't fuck too much with DC outside of Batman but that was really damn good. I'm loving how Dr. Manhattan is seen as a god, someone even more powerful than Darkseid. I can't imagine what will happen once he shows up.

Oh I know exactly what will happen.

reverse.gif

Aizo

Banned
Just finished catching up with Black Hammer. I gotta say that I was absolutely loving it until the last page of the most recent issue.
I am rarely satisfied with how mysteries end up, and I worry that this will be similar. Obviously I can't judge yet, but I guess I'm not to into the possibility that it's all a spell created by Madame Butterfly and none of the people are real. Doesn't that seem just a bit too obvious? I felt reading at the start that maybe it was all a fake dream world when they mentioned pocket universes. I didn't want to be right. Hope it's more complex than that.
I love the characters so much, though. I want to learn more about all of them. Does Abe have a power? I don't get that.
I was going to mention to you earlier that none of the stuff you were wanting to buy was going to be on sale but then I got distracted. My bad.
No worries. I have lots to read.

Which is great. I dig this book on a conceptual level, I just have an issue with the actual dialogue. It doesn't feel natural, and I don't think that's intentional given the fact that I had the same issue with the previous Red Hood Lobdell books. It feels like characters are just saying things at each other in their own voices, but it doesn't feel like there's an exchange. Does that make sense? I'm afraid I'm not explaining it well.
Imo, Jason is cocky with a mix of self-doubt and self-healing. I think it perfectly fits Jason's new persona.

I like this page:

Imo, Jason is cocky with a mix of self-doubt and self-healing. I think it perfectly fits Jason's new persona.

I like this page:

The personalities are there just fine. That's not my problem. Like I've been saying, it's not the characters, it's the way they engage with each other. The dialogue exchanges just don't function that well on a mechanical level.

Johns spoke on twitter:
#DoomsdayClock will take place one year ahead of the DC Universe. When issue 12 ships the rest of the universe will catch up. (1 of 2)
#DoomsdayClock incorporates everything from Action Comics #1 to Crisis to Rebirth to now: Metal, Oz Effect, some surprises! No crossovers.
Yes, you'll see things in #DoomsdayClock that are in the near future - Batman, Superman, the DCU - will meet up w/issue 12 @1moreGaryFrank

First images.

Geoff Johns on DOOMSDAY CLOCK: "I love seeing the smartest men from two different worlds meet. This world's is Lex Luthor." #DCSDCC

Jock's Metal variant:

Can't believe no one posted about this:
We'll just jump right in with two bits of Harley Quinn news from Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner.
First, Harley Quinn #25 will feature the untold story of her road trip to Vegas.
After that, she'll run for mayor of New York. "If we've got a president who can get away with anything, imagine what Harley can do?"
Paul Dini and Jimmy Palmiotti's Harley Quinn back ups will end next issue, but return next year for "a new chapter in the story."
Dini also spoke about the previously announced Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica, saying it was his "dream assignment."
"We put nearly every character that's ever appeared in Archie on the first page."
Conner said she wanted to do the interiors on a series like that - and Dini told her to "start thinking about Zatanna/Sabrina."
Dan DiDio said they were looking for an intercompany crossover with Archie "that would make sense," saying they try to find eclectic stories that "challenge" the idea of normal crossovers.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm really interesting in seeing how they utilize all the Watchmen. It makes sense that Dr. Manhattan will be a powerhouse that all of the DC will probably have a lot of issues dealing with but all the other guys are just normal people. I can't imagine Nightowl or Silk Spectre are the ones fucking with the DC universe.

I guess it's more surprising to me that publishers don't do restrictions

They do enough sales that it doesn't really bother me. Not like I don't have a backlog already

Damn man, Noah Hawley working on a Dr Doom movie at Fox. That guy is a deeply talented guy, will be interesting to see if he can overcome the shit that's gone on with that franchise and make an exciting thing to watch. Guess this was what he had to step away from Fargo for. Apparently Dan Stevens will be involved (Legion lead actor) but no confirmation how big a part that would be.

That'll be 4. If there isn't a Valiant sale this weekend, and it's looking unlikely at this point, I'll get the next 2.
Honestly I figured the sales would be more of a blowout than they are.

Volume 4 is really good. I had issues with vol 1-3 (love the concept and art, had issues with the actual character work and shock value plot happenings), but vol 4 is really great stuff, they refocus the book in a way that's really compelling and digs into all the shit that's gone on. Interested what you think!

I'm all physical so never any good sales for me :( haha

Volume 4 is really good. I had issues with vol 1-3 (love the concept and art, had issues with the actual character work and shock value plot happenings), but vol 4 is really great stuff, they refocus the book in a way that's really compelling and digs into all the shit that's gone on. Interested what you think!

I'm all physical so never any good sales for me :( haha

I hear the series just gets better. I honestly loved the first 2 volumes.

I'm going more and more digital. I'm not super interesting in 'collecting' comics, just reading the stories.

I hear the series just gets better. I honestly loved the first 2 volumes.

I'm going more and more digital. I'm not super interesting in 'collecting' comics, just reading the stories.

You're in a good place with the book then man. If you love it now haha....it just gets stronger and stronger :D

Haha that's fair! I really dig my trade collection but these days digital is definitely more convenient and way cheaper if patient. Helps if you've got a nice way to read them digital though :| haha

Some bullshit that DC isn't going with a service like Marvel Unlimited. I haven't spent a red penny on DC comics in over a decade, guess Marvel will keep getting my money both digitally and in print if I buy collections. I'll support publishers who embrace digital.

Makes sense. Enjoy X-Men Gold. I'll let you know how Metal turns out lol no I won't you're on your own

tim1138

I'm really interesting in seeing how they utilize all the Watchmen. It makes sense that Dr. Manhattan will be a powerhouse that all of the DC will probably have a lot of issues dealing with but all the other guys are just normal people. I can't imagine Nightowl or Silk Spectre are the ones fucking with the DC universe.

I will be amazed if Doomsday Clock features any Watchmen characters beyond Dr Manhattan and maybe Ozymandis. It's pretty obvious from the dialogue teases that is taking place post Watchmen, so Rorschach and Comedian are dead, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre have changed identities, moved to California, and are no longer associated with Doc and Ozy. By all accounts this is picking up the thread from the end of Watchmen where Doc tells Ozy he's going to a new universe and creating new human life.

What do #DCMetal and Dark Matter mean to DC? No variants; know exactly how to find the book you want. AND: Every book is $2.99. #DCSDCC

Respect to DC for keeping consistent on the pricing, but am I missing something, I can already think of two variants for Metal issues of the top of my head, the Jock cover above and midnight release variant.

I don't read comics but I'm going on a plane tomorrow and I looked on comixology and DC are doing buy one get one free. I heard Superman Rebirth was good and I like Nightwing so I think I'm going to go with the first volumes, unless ya'll have any better suggestions?

Respect to DC for keeping consistent on the pricing, but am I missing something, I can already think of two variants for Metal issues of the top of my head, the Jock cover above and midnight release variant.
Think the variant covers line was just for Dark Matter.
I don't read comics but I'm going on a plane tomorrow and I looked on comixology and DC are doing buy one get one free. I heard Superman Rebirth was good and I like Nightwing so I think I'm going to go with the first volumes, unless ya'll have any better suggestions?
Do that!

Edit: From a Comicsbeat article on the merch at SDCC:
Most exciting though is the table we weren’t allowed to photograph. A new DC Bombshells Wonder Woman statue displayed the WWII version of Wonder Woman standing atop a ruined tank, holding skyward her sword. It’s marked for a June 2018 release.

X-men grand design looks like it could be a really fun love letter to the history of the x-men so I'll be on board, but how crazy would you have to make a story to try and tie in all the shit the xmen have been through over the years into one story ha

The image CMX sale is great for collections. But I already own all the ones I wanted outside the last vol of sunstone and one other one. Grabbed those. Now to go through the tedious task of working through each series single issues and find each cut line. Why couldn't they just have a code and a simple discount. Then I could see what it applies to instead of playing this matching game

Think the variant covers line was just for Dark Matter.

Do that!

Edit: From a Comicsbeat article on the merch at SDCC:

I'm glad there not going the Marvel route of everything needing twenty covers but to be honest despite the good creative teams for some of them a lot of the Dark Matter titles are for the more obscure characters and teams, its not exactly Batman or Wonder Woman there not doing variant covers for here.

Still 2.99 for every issue of an event, learn something from that Marvel, there not even doing there Generations issue that is meant to be a jumping in point at any cheaper.

Messi

The image CMX sale is great for collections. But I already own all the ones I wanted outside the last vol of sunstone and one other one. Grabbed those. Now to go through the tedious task of working through each series single issues and find each cut line. Why couldn't they just have a code and a simple discount. Then I could see what it applies to instead of playing this matching game

Great deal on Sunstone

GAMEPROFF

Banned
New Comic day!

Finally the first issue of Spectacular Spider-Man! And the Looney Tunes Crossover.

Will write what I think of the Spider-Books here and share some throughs on the Looney Tunes on our Discord.

Top Bottom