• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

Shahed

The day that's officially announced, it'll shoot straight up to the top of my most aniticipated games list.

Loved the first game, but they could have had better combat depth and mission variety. The core gravity mechanic was so much fun. If they encase the sequel in a better shell, we could be delivered an absolutely amazing game

Terrible idea. I'm actually really excited about next-gen Motorstorm. Just tighten up the gameplay, primarily by going from 30fps to 60fps if possible, and maybe make the game feel more arcady. Also go back to original or pacific rift settings.

PS4 launch Motorstorm title, go for it Sony.

Make it look like the FMV in the original *drools*.

@dusky Yes they shlould do a new Wipeout, especially if Liverpool staff have moved there. Amazing series that really stands out from everything else ont he market.

My personal hope is that Evolution are working on a new Destruction Derby with online bowl mode. Destruction Derby 2 was such a great game and it deserves a revival.

Colony Wars needs to come back as well, such a great series and exactly the sort of thing SCE needs right now. Basically I want more uniquely British and European games from Sony this coming generation.

Mario007

You guys talking about WipeOut and Motostorm. I like those franchise too but they hardly sell even a million nowadays. I can't see Sony bringing out those franchises for the launch of PS4.

Raoh

I just need SOCOM 2+3+Combined Assault HD Collection including working online. After that I won't care about any reboot.

3's graphics would look horrible upscaled.

I want a socom or ghost recon reboot. I thought the ghost recon that launched early this gen was great but no one played it or they played it like they do cod/halo.

The uncharted multiplayer engine I think is perfect as a foundation for socom. I got excited when I first played mutiplayer on uncharted 2. I really thought zipper was paying attention.

Also Gran Turismo at launch or bust

Indeed, release GT6 close to launch. Steady updates for GT6 througout the PS4 cycle, no need for yearly or bi-annual releases. Release GT7 Prologue toward then of the cycle.

that's true and i'm aware that rain and puppeteer are the work of new management (totally looking forward to them) but that's why i was talking in the past. gran turismo 5 (it did end up selling ok though) and tlg show how badly high profile games like these were being managed. i'm really hoping these guys put sony japan studios back on track and i still have a very small hope that they may salvage what might be left of "team ico"-ness :p

Puppeteer has been in development for years and Polyphony Digital has absolutely nothing to do with that change, they're an entirely separate studio.

Why do you think so? It's not like ND made a rule for themselves that they only do 1 trilogy per console. Crash was abandoned because they lost the rights to the IP, Jack was abandoned because it was never a huge seller and the sales kept falling. Uncharted, on the other hand, is a series whose sale potential seems to be going up with each release and pretty much the whole industry is trying to emulate.

I just don't think there's enough that they can do with the formula to keep it interesting for long, and retain its Unchartedness. You could already see from U3 that they were struggling to innovate on their own formula. I'm not sure that increasing the scale of the setpieces and tightening the controls/graphics/animation will be satisfactory for the audience for much longer.

Of course, they could come up with a fantasic story that keeps you engrossed and makes you overlook the creeping formulaic design (damn good formula though,) and perhaps I'm basing my entire opinion on my slight disappointment with U3, but I just don't think there's too much room for expansion.

Worth bearing in mind that I haven't played Golden Abyss, and they could always keep the Uncharted name and formula with different characters which could give it a shot in the arm which it may need after U4

Either way, I'll still be going through U:DF and U2 on a semi-regular basis for the next decade :D

Mario007

Arcade racers sell well at the beginning of the generation.
Wipeout Vita would like to disagree.
I just don't think there's enough that they can do with the formula to keep it interesting for long, and retain its Unchartedness. You could already see from U3 that they were struggling to innovate on their own formula. I'm not sure that increasing the scale of the setpieces and tightening the controls/graphics/animation will be satisfactory for the audience for much longer.

Of course, they could come up with a fantasic story that keeps you engrossed and makes you overlook the creeping formulaic design (damn good formula though,) and perhaps I'm basing my entire opinion on my slight disappointment with U3, but I just don't think there's too much room for expansion.

Worth bearing in mind that I haven't played Golden Abyss, and they could always keep the Uncharted name and formula with different characters which could give it a shot in the arm which it may need after U4

Either way, I'll still be going through U:DF and U2 on a semi-regular basis for the next decade :D
I think with a new console they could certainly find ways to innovate on their formula. Even the inclusion of the dynamic AI from TLOU could be a great change.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been saying this for a while in the PS4 rumor thread but I think that Sony is poised to have an absolutely stacked first couple years of their next console when it comes to exclusive games. So many of their teams have expanded or been working on unknown projects for years now, they have to be working on next-gen games. If it launches in fall of 2013 I could see a new IP for launch, one of the big franchises in spring 2014, another new IP in summer, and Uncharted or something else huge in fall 2014 with some smaller titles interspersed.

B.O.O.M

U1 also had such gimmick games since it was short after ps3 release and Sony wanted to push sisaxi.

Agreed but I felt UC:GA went a bit too crazy with the amount of mini games it had. I'm certain it's due to sony asking them to promote the features of vita though. The next game should be even better than GA and I can't wait to see it :D

You guys talking about WipeOut and Motostorm. I like those franchise too but they hardly sell even a million nowadays. I can't see Sony bringing out those franchises for the launch of PS4.

Agreed. Motorstorm needs a reboot. Or they need a new IP

PS: Oh and guys I'm sure outside of these there will be at least a few third party exclusives as well. Anyone still remember this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j14e9zTnVbk

I still want this game to come to ps4

i hope a lot of these teams aren't creating entirely new engines, and instead are modifying them to work on PS4 hardware and then upgrading them. there was a TON of technical stuff like that slowing down development early this gen. hopefully they'll get their games up and running a lot more quickly this time around.

it would also be a shame if guerilla had to come up with a new engine instead of upgrading the KZ3 engine for PS4.

I cant see GG making a new engine. Shouldn't their current engine suffice? They put so much towards it, it should pay off some more for them.

Sony has put too much money into big ass engines and yeah, it slowed them down. Sony needs to nail delivery and timing. I wonder if using old engines would make them graphically saturated with other next gen games? Killzone benefitted from such an expensive engine, but if they are to go easier, will other games supersede Killzone?

I think the biggest thing that Sony is going to miss is spearheading a proper SOCOM for launch. I truly believe a proper SOCOM can be fantastic for old and new players alike (but with strictly PS2-SOCOM styled gameplay).

That and lack of RPGs. I don't know why Sony doesn't have their own in-dev RPG. Isn't that the one genre they don't develop? I wish they'd work with Level 5 for a Dark Cloud sequel. Any chance we will see more remakes of old PSOne games a la Warhawk and Wipeout? Like, Alundra?

One thing sorely lacking this gen are Japanese-oriented games, and I just hope we can see more of that somehow with Sony making efforts since most others are falling behind. Such a shame that they let the Souls IP slip, a Souls sequel and a Dark Cloud 3 would have been killer

the only two reasons i suspect that we'll see perfectly awesome engines get tossed aside next gen is the same "reasons" we saw it happen this gen:

A) new systems have architecture different enough from the previous gen that it would cost more money fixing the old engines than making new ones.

B) flat-out wasting great engines for reasons unknown to us gamers. there have been some great looking games that saw sequels with completely new engines, with little to no explanations given by the developers. i can't think of any examples right now, but i remember again and again hearing in game previews that they came up with a completely new engine (no, not licensed one from someone else like UE3 or something) for this new entry in the series and talked about the cool things it could do, but never really went into why they couldn't do it in the old one.

side note: i expect bethesda to try and use gamebryo at least one more time.

So GT6 prologue

Possibly. But those were created due to development of the main game extending longer that PD thought they would. A GT3-style game would be a good idea. It would guarantee that Sony would get two GT games out of that generation.

Yawnier

Banned
At this point with the fact that Zipper closed down earlier this year, I'm not even sure who Sony would get to develop a new Socom game (as much as I would love to see a next-gen Socom).

I can't see Sony going back to Slant Six Games to develop a new Socom title for the PS4, especially seeing how Confrontation turned out in 2008. However, after a couple of patches it was an okay game to play, absolutely nothing compared to the PS2 Socom games though.

so selling 9 million is ok now...

didn't i say it was selling ok? do you want me to say it sold well? ok, it sold well. that didn't stop PD and gt5 from being poorly managed. "it's coming this year" "shit guys, hold on, we're working on it" "here's a video of it, but it's still not coming out, just a little more". gt5 was a running joke against ps3 users because sony was fucking clueless when the hell it was actually going to come out.

Puppeteer has been in development for years and Polyphony Digital has absolutely nothing to do with that change, they're an entirely separate studio.

where did i say that PD has anything to do with that change? i said that i want that change to affect all sony japanese studios, because they clearly need it. if a guy from sony santa monica has to go to japan to show them how the hell do western people manage to make several good games in the time it takes them to make a single one, so be it.

I'd agree if they were from the same IP, genre and/or theme. But as I remember their rumored games are Killzone 4 and a new IP which would be a fantasy WRPG (with werewolves and steampunk or something like that).

Regarding Killzone 4 and Killzone Vita yep, I'd separate their release by at least 6 or 9 months

There is no rumored KZ4. Just that some members were working on the killzone franchise this year, and they did with the digital releases and HD collection.

KAL2006

Banned
At this point with the fact that Zipper closed down earlier this year, I'm not even sure who Sony would get to develop a new Socom game (as much as I would love to see a next-gen Socom).

I can't see Sony going back to Slant Six Games to develop a new Socom title for the PS4, especially seeing how Confrontation turned out in 2008. However, after a couple of patches it was an okay game to play, absolutely nothing compared to the PS2 Socom games though.

I personally think the Socom IP is dead along with Resistance and Twisted Metal. The most you can hope for is a PSN or Vita game that doesn't have a big budget. I think Sony will be concentrating on making new IPs as well as releasing sequels for their most popular IPs like Uncharted and GT.

where did i say that PD has anything to do with that change? i said that i want that change to affect all sony japanese studios, because they clearly need it. if a guy from sony santa monica has to go to japan to show them how the hell do western people manage to make several good games in the time it takes them to make a single one, so be it.

Why mention Polyphony then? It had nothing to do with them.

And comparing the output of Japan Studio and any of Sony's western studios is stupid. The teams within Japan Studio are smaller than any of their western studios. It's why their output on PSP has been so much better than their output on PS3, because it's a far smaller scale. When their team sizes are in the hundreds like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica, maybe then they'd be comparable.

And unless "the guy from Sony Santa Monica" (Alan Becker) is given the resources to greatly expand Japan Studio, nothing's going to change.

Dusky

There is no rumored KZ4. Just that some members were working on the killzone franchise this year, and they did with the digital releases and HD collection.

It's been reported that they're working on another Killzone: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/11/18/killzone-follow-up-in-the-works

I doubt it's KZ: Mercenary as I'm sure they would have specified as it had already been teased, besides if "the bulk of their staff" was working on a vita game that would be pretty overkill.

Why mention Polyphony then? It had nothing to do with them.

And comparing the output of Japan Studio and any of Sony's western studios is stupid. The teams within Japan Studio are smaller than any of their western studios. It's why their output on PSP has been so much better than their output on PS3, because it's a far smaller scale. When their team sizes are in the hundreds like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica, maybe then they'd be comparable.

And unless "the guy from Sony Santa Monica" (Alan Becker) is given the resources to greatly expand Japan Studio, nothing's going to change.

While this is mostly true, i disagree that it does not change anything. He could change the culture of SCEJ. Increased cooperation between each other and third party studios. He can also introduce more efficiency to SCEJ, since he was the head of Santa Monica Studio.

Possibly. But those were created due to development of the main game extending longer that PD thought they would. A GT3-style game would be a good idea. It would guarantee that Sony would get two GT games out of that generation.

You know SSX, i´m thinking that even if GT6 is finished Sony would still release GT6 prologue so they can get more profit.

It's been reported that they're working on another Killzone: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/11/18/killzone-follow-up-in-the-works

I doubt it's KZ: Mercenary as I'm sure they would have specified as it had already been teased, besides if "the bulk of their staff" was working on a vita game that would be pretty overkill.

Hmm. Didnt see that report. You could be right. If I were to guess, KZ4 would be a near launch title and their new IP would be a year or two after that.

There's conflicting reports of them just working on a new IP though.

Sid

Could be but there was no forza at that time,i think PD will release GT6 prologue in fall 2013 and GT6 in mid or fall 2015.

Japan Studio has ~400 staff iirc. It's actually SCE's largest dev studio.

Dusky

Hmm. Didnt see that report. You could be right. If I were to guess, KZ4 would be a near launch title and their new IP would be a year or two after that.

There's conflicting reports of them just working on a new IP though.

They've been working on a new IP for 2-3 years now. They opened their second studio back in 2010 and new IP had already been worked on prior to it's opening. Although it's likely that it's just a combination of projects they they had worked on but didn't pan out, for the most part. I imagine they have something concrete by now and the IP has been worked on for at least a year or two.

Assuming they started work on KZ4 immediately after KZ3, by the time the PS4 launches it should have had at least 2 1/2 years of dev time and it's quite likely that they already had solid ideas for the fourth instalment before KZ3 launched.

So yeah, KZ4 at launch does sound more likely than their new IP.

What future release are you most looking forward to?

David Cage: The Last Guardian. I love Ueda-san's work, I think he is one of the most talented creators. There is a sense of poetry in his work, an ability to tell simple but powerful stories that I really admire. I was lucky enough to have a first look at his next game, and I can't wait to play it!
www.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/hit-list-qanda-david-cage-founder-of-quantic-dream/

He's trolling us, right?

Hazelhurst

Teams that are busy
- Naughty Dog - Last of Us Team
- Guerilla Cambridge - making Killzone Mercenery
- Media Molecule - Tearaway Team
- Team Ico - making Last Guardian
- San Diego - making Warrior's Lair, MLB
- Quantic Dreams - making Beyond
- SOE Team 2 - Everquest Next
- Sanzaru - making Sly
- Santa Monica - making GoW Ascension
- Sony Japan - Puppeteer, Rain, Soul Sacrifice
Not sure if serious

Hopefully GG reboots the Killzone franchise from the eyes of the Helghast. The universe has so much potential. GG has produced one of the most unique game aesthetics with each iteration. And while I am a huge fan of the series, and loved 1 and 2, I believe 3 brought the series to a low that will be nearly impossible for GG's to dig it out for the recognition and sales it deserves.

The new "Killzone" game should be retitled, and refocused around the Helghast, and you know what, fuck it, bring back Visari and Radec. Predate the series that we know of. I can think of a million different directions to take that game in, starting with Vasari and Radec's rise to power. That starting point presents the opportunity to take a bold approach to storytelling which is what the series desperately needs to match the brutal and oppressive setting.

Hire me Sony, as Creative Storyteller of Intellectual Property. I promise to turn even the worse of stories into something with flowing excitement.

While this is mostly true, i disagree that it does not change anything. He could change the culture of SCEJ. Increased cooperation between each other and third party studios. He can also introduce more efficiency to SCEJ, since he was the head of Santa Monica Studio.

Yeah, you're right. There's always a chance he could make things worse, though even then I guess that's still a change.

Just a small nitpick but he's not in charge of SCEJ, he's in charge of Japan Studio. Publishing arm vs dev.

Japan Studio has ~400 staff iirc. It's actually SCE's largest dev studio.

No, it has more. We've had this discussion before, a large portion of that is R&D. Same thing goes with Santa Monica and London.

Edit: Corrected myself a bit.

rdrr gnr

People really want Sony to waste resources on dead franchises like Socom? And people are arguing that they kill off IPs too quickly? I feel the exact opposite. I'd say Killzone, Socom, Resistance, Ratchet, and many other franchises should be on the chopping block. Not because they are bad games or wholly unable to salvaged (some just partially) but because the appeal of a new IP seems infinitely more sensible. This is Sony -- not EA. We aren't going to get Brown Military Shooter: 2013 Edition. I'd say the risk is absolutely worth it. Keep Uncharted and inFAMOUS, but drop the rest. Let Sony give their studios creative freedom and see what we get out of them. If you are going to bring back these franchises, do it late into next-gen.

ReaperXL7

Im pretty sure that SOE currently has their hands full with everquest next, though id kill for a follow up to champions of norrath.

No, it has more, as do Sony London and Sony Santa Monica. We've had this discussion before, those studios have large R&D groups within them.
Last time I saw a head count for London was 260 staff in 2009, though they certainly could've grown a lot since. Santa Monica I'd believe since they also house the recording studio and SCEA's testing division. Japan Studio was a recent figure though iirc, do you have a source that they're larger now?

Dusky

Last time I saw a head count for London was 260 staff in 2009, though they certainly could've grown a lot since. Santa Monica I'd believe since they also house the recording studio and SCEA's testing division. Japan Studio was a recent figure though iirc, do you have a source that they're larger now?

Not sure when it was updated last but you can get a rough idea how much staff each studio has here.

So it's alive?

Takao

Banned
That and lack of RPGs. I don't know why Sony doesn't have their own in-dev RPG. Isn't that the one genre they don't develop? I wish they'd work with Level 5 for a Dark Cloud sequel. Any chance we will see more remakes of old PSOne games a la Warhawk and Wipeout? Like, Alundra?

One thing sorely lacking this gen are Japanese-oriented games, and I just hope we can see more of that somehow with Sony making efforts since most others are falling behind. Such a shame that they let the Souls IP slip, a Souls sequel and a Dark Cloud 3 would have been killer

If you want Japanese games you should be asking for Japan Studio to stay away from PS4, and just make games for Vita.

As for why Sony doesn't have their own internally produced JRPG series, the games are too demanding for them to want to make. You'd have to devote more resources than most Japan Studio titles get. This is actually how Level-5 came into existence. Hino wanted to make an RPG for PS2, but SCE couldn't do it internally so they helped him make Level-5. Together they pumped out Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'arc, and the two PS3 White Knight Chronicles games. Over My Dead Boy is their new (well, old it's a rebirth of a PS1 game) RPG franchise. Probably won't be localized though, lol.

Can someone list Sony´s second party studios?

That's like an impossible task given Sony works with so many studios. If you mean exclusively second party, that's a shorter list.

I edited my post. London "only" has over 300 staff.

Yeah, Sony Santa Monica are huge. 2 large development teams, support for other first/second parties, R&D and the two divisions you mentioned.

Japan Studio has a large R&D team, so they take up a significant part of Japan Studio. Then they've got at least 4 teams (Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Rain and Puppeteer) of varying sizes (none of which are near the size of Sony's AAA western teams) and second party support (Soul Sacrifice, Tokyo Jungle, etc.). I guess they could merge those teams together into larger teams but if people think that's going to result in more games, I'm pretty sure they'd be mistaken.

Globox_82

Banned
Sony will never again make a classic JRPG, games sell like crap, and have become so niche in the west (not counting FF but it is on it's way) . Sorry but it's true. I am buying ni no kuni but I know it is going to sell like crap - it didn't impress in Japan either.

That probably just has more to do with Cage being a really big Ueda fan

I think one of the most interesting author right now in the videogames industry is probably Fumito Ueda. I'm totally unable to do what he does, because I think it's really unique and its his world and his vision and I really admire him for that. I mean what he done in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus is absolutely fantastic

http://www.vgarabia.com/en/posts/vi...interesting-author-in-the-videogames-industry

Im pretty sure that SOE currently has their hands full with everquest next, though id kill for a follow up to champions of norrath.

That game was developed by Snowblind, so the bigger issue for a sequel to that would be that they're now owned by Warner Bros.

Sony will never again make a classic JRPG, games sell like crap, and have become so niche in the west (not counting FF but it is on it's way) . Sorry but it's true. I am buying ni no kuni but I know it is going to sell like crap - it didn't impress in Japan either.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the case...but Final Fantasy still sells well despite being mostly crappy (IMO) since FFXll, so there is hope for at least, an open-world RPG from Sony catered to Japanese/U.S audience. I'm just happy NiNoKuni and Tales Series is coming to the west, support them if you want more! It may break a million over here, most sites are pretty excited about it...

Japan is just in love with portables and One Piece, I dunno what would sell over there in the RPG space on Ps3 besides a full-blown Monster Hunter game, or Dragon Quest

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Sony should resurrect Ghosthunter IP for PS4, Ghosthunter on ps2 was fantastic :( such a shame Sony wasted Cambridge Studio talent this gen

Top Bottom