• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

shandy706

No way I would buy the system without it.

It appears the option to do so...may just come at some point. We shall see.

I'll stick to my pre-order with Kinect though.

Jb

Competition is a sweet sweet thing.

And a big fuck you to the condescending gaming journos who mocked the people who organized and participated in social media campaigns to get manufacturers to drop always online and all that shit. Dumb fucks.

Why ppl thing this marks an opportunity to a kinect-less SKU?

The full quote states that you won't be able to use any app or games that uses Kinect in some manner, which right now is most of the first party and third party games....

geomon

Somebody should check the national weather service and see if a tornado warning has been issued for Redmond, WA. The spinning and reversals coming out of the MS headquarters has got to be producing twisters at this point.

kingkaiser

Kinect is what differentiated itself from the PS4. Now there really is no differences except one is much weaker and costs more, while the other is much more powerful and costs less.

Who the hell would pay for the former.

Probably the people who want to play Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Killer Instinct...

Kinect has other functions that don't involve any arm-waving. But you're here to hate Kinect 2 before it releases, so keep on keeping on!

Yep, it allows me to say "grenade!" to throw a grenade instead of tapping a button. Da fewcha! Totally worth a hundred bones.

But you're here to spew shit at anyone who dares insult the great and wise and mighty and sexy and smart and funny and cool Microsoft, like you do in every thread. So keep on keeping on!

The Flash

Banned
Now sell the console without Kinect (I still wouldn't buy the console).

So, you are demanding something about a console you don't care about.

thisisneogaf.gif

ibgldiO38zZ4TG.gif

Werhil

Ok MS, now just allow me to purchase your console without paying for an accessory which, by your own statement, is entirely optional. Then you have yourself a new potential customer.

To those who say it has to be included or else devs won't use it, you may be right, and that is the problem. It shows how poorly suited to gaming the device really is. Compared to a controller, where devs are obviously going to design games for that even if its not included with the system.

Discusguy

I had a feeling this was coming. I just hope they leave Kinect 2 bundled with every system and don't back track on that. Without Kinect 2 being bundled I won't be buying an Xbox one.

By the time the Xbone releases, it will not only no longer require Kinect, but also come with a personal apology letter handwritten and signed by Steve Balmer, a voucher for 400 Euro to spend on the marketplace, 4 controllers included, a Turtlebeach Headset, as well as let you share your games digitally with up to 20 people and no online checks to it at all.

The pre order numbers must be worryingly low.

The wording seems like everyone but it obviously isn't everyone; it is a segment that with every change MS has made they want the next change before they "think about it." It is ridiculous.
Its only ridiculous if you think there has only been one issue keeping people away. Its always been a sizable list. Price, forced Kinect, 24-hour lockdown, restricted trade-ins, no resale, Gold paywall for apps/f2p, weaker hardware specs, etc.

I've got one more gripe personally ;P

Dynedom

What if Microsoft makes a $399, but it still includes the Kinect?

What then?

If it doesn't have to be plugged in, no one is going to mind Kinect being in the box at that price. The reason people don't want Kinect in the box is because they believe that it is driving the price up.

Einbroch

Banned
I dont understand why the internet wants the samey same shit every 5 years, lol.

Only because its MS, I swear...

Can we stop with this?

Sony was absolutely destroyed by the internet when the PS3 launched. Microsoft has made a lot of stupid decisions lately, and they're getting slammed for it. Now they're fixing it, and like the PS3 (no gaems, lolCELL) it took a while for people to get over the price and launch lineup.

A lot of people are not fanboys, but a lot of people do take things too far. I guarantee if Sony announced tomorrow that the PS4 had always online the internet would flip just like that. I personally loved MS at the beginning of the generation because of the jRPGs and price. Now I'm PS3/4 for the same reason.

eastmen

Banned
Its only ridiculous if you think there has only been one issue keeping people away. Its always been a sizable list. Price, forced Kinect, 24-hour lockdown, restricted trade-ins, no resale, Gold paywall for apps/f2p, weaker hardware specs, etc.

I've got one more gripe personally ;P

gold pay wall for multiplayer gaming too right ? right ?

ToyBroker

Banned
Great news, if true.

However, I really don't see this boosting pre-order sales.

Still a $100 dollar difference and a weaker box.

I'm glad about this, I guess.

I just want to know exactly what "works" entails. Nobody thought the Xbox was literally going to shut off if Kinect wasn't plugged in...I want to know that I could turn the Xbox on with the Kinect unplugged and operate the machine exactly like I did a 360. I want to know that unless the game I'm playing is specifically a Kinect-only game, the system will function completely without compromise.

I hope that this news is exactly what this means!

keit4

Banned
Oh great, looks like it's confirmed. I'm not expecting a $400 SKU without the camera, Kinect still is the differential selling point of the One over the PS4.

Nymphae

Banned
Ok MS, now just allow me to purchase your console without paying for an accessory which, by your own statement, is entirely optional. Then you have yourself a new potential customer.

I'll need to see some games I want first, but that would be a good first step. If they can offer a kinect-less sku, and manage to actually get some interesting exclusives, I might actually be interested in this thing.

gold pay wall for multiplayer gaming too right ? right ?
That's a done deal, and its fucking Sony that has made that so. If multiplayer was still free on the PS4 I doubt there would be anything MS could do to win me back. But since they both charge for multiplayer, its still a competition.

So no, my one personal gripe remaining is the Gold paywall for apps (Netflix, IE, etc.) and free-to-play games.

Great news

Now drop the price to match PS4's and I'll reconsider which console I'll get first

That'll be next, just watch. Their entire strategy this gen is so damn reactionary.

"Quick, let's do what Sony's doing! People seem to like Sony!"

Oh great, looks like it's confirmed. I'm not expecting a $400 SKU, Kinect still is the differential selling point of the One under the PS4.

Fixed.

MrDaravon

This is nice and all, but if any game I play is going to use it in some way and I'm going to wind up having to have it plugged in I don't really see the point. Alternatively, if it seems like enough games/developers are going to support it not being plugged in, then why force include it? I'm against it, but I feel they really should be either all in or all out on this.

What if Microsoft makes a $399, but it still includes the Kinect?

What then?

Then people will want a $299 bundle without Kinect.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Seriously, is here anybody who would pay for Kinect 2 and not plug it in?

I'll plug it in.

SgtCobra

A kinect-less 720 ehm I mean Xbox One would steamroll Sony, so yeah I expect something like that to be announced in the near future.

DBT85

Why couldn't they say that in the first place. Jesus Christ.

My thoughts exactly.

This has been a sticking point for many since the reveal but they only now mention it. They must be mad.

Good news regardless. Hope we get some "Kinect 2 actually attached" stats one day.

Top Bottom