• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the mainstream media picked up on Jon's garbage yet? Or am I being too optimistic here.

I recall seeing at least one website write an article of his debate comments, but other than that doesn't seem like many websites or other (non alt-right) youtubers are making content about it.

What's with people like Jon thinking the USA is a historically white geographical location? It's almost like they forgot who Native Americans are.

hbkdx12

What's with people like Jon thinking the USA is a historically white geographical location? It's almost like they forgot who Native Americans are.

This is single-handedly the one thing that drives me absolutely bonkers about this whole thing and the fact that it undermines the entire point of his argument, all while he and others like Sargan continues to overlook it, makes no sense to me.

His whole argument rests on the idea that white people somehow need to protect what's there's when it never was fucking there's in the first place!

If only that stupid GAME_JAM reality show hadn't failed, and he hadn't met Zoe Quinn there, hadn't gone down the anti-SJW/anti-PC/gamergate, hadn't retweeted a NSFW comic of a gamergate gangbang, hadn't teamed up with alt-righters, hadn't said "retarded" maybe this wouldn't have happened? This scandal has been 3 years in the making.

2014:
hqdefault.jpg

f8d.png

5266274+_4fdf249f8de257a736f285bc8512ba3a.png

GOpN9Cv.png

312.png

wEB0L6h.png

1407275728416.png

Pewdiepie_f32066_5622990.jpg

tumblr_okgxviW4n61ugtnico1_500.png

To white nationalism in 2017:
attachment.php

I like how when Jon is called out. He always has to say he's not racist or they're taking what he said out of context. It's almost like he's racist.

It'll never cease to amaze me that:

1. People can be racist. It genuinely makes no sense. I don't "get it". I'm not going to lie and say "I can't see colour" or some nonsense like that, but I've never felt that one skin colour make you better than another. We all bleed red, we're all a product of our parents, our education, our upbrining, our society. Some people find success, some people never do. These aren't racial traits, they're social ones.

2. People who are racist always try to pretend they're not. If you're going to be racist (or sexist or sectarian or a bigot) then at least have the balls to stand by it. Don't pretend you're not the thing we know you are.

Boem

I like how when Jon is called out. He always has to say he's not racist or they're taking what he said out of context. It's almost like he's racist.

I once saw a guy full of some sort of fucked up drug punch a random guy out cold in front of a bar (he ran up from across the street and punched him in the back(!) of the head. The guy never even saw him coming). Three bouncers from surrounding bars were immediately on him to hold him down while we were all waiting for the police. The girlfriend of his victim shouted something about him being an asshole, and he spend the rest of the time just looking everyone around him straight in the eye while calmly mumbling 'I. Am. Not. An. Asshole.'

This comment reminded me of that story. Always funny how the dickheads of the world just think people are namecalling when they accurately describe their behavior. If you're act racist, you're racist, and people are going to call you racist. Simple as that.

Edit: I should add, before anyone asks, I think the victim turned out fine. At least he was walking around and joking about it later that evening. No idea about lasting damage though, didn't know him personally.

Sounds like a terrible solution to me. Here's an image I downloaded from 8chan during Gamergate's height:

(Bonus points if you noticed that the hand clasping is based of anti-Semitic propaganda images.)

"Issues" within the gaming sphere - which are really just people being upset with trivial things - are tied to conspiracy theories and used to promote right wing ideas. Why didn't your game get a perfect score? Because the feminists are controlling the media, and oppressed men need to fight back.

The fact that gaming's demographic was a boy's club and has now widened has left a whole bunch of those anchors that alt right folks can cling to and use to spread their ideas. That's a problem in gaming culture, and we're not going to solve it by ignoring the issues in the culture, especially because people hoping to spread hatred aren't going to ignore them. It's important keep them framed within gaming culture.
Amazing how I am right smack there in the middle between the second heighest and third heighest rung on the pyramid. Saweet.

I love being an SJW academic critical theorist neomarxist.

Sounds like a terrible solution to me. Here's an image I downloaded from 8chan during Gamergate's height:

(Bonus points if you noticed that the hand clasping is based of anti-Semitic propaganda images.)

"Issues" within the gaming sphere - which are really just people being upset with trivial things - are tied to conspiracy theories and used to promote right wing ideas. Why didn't your game get a perfect score? Because the feminists are controlling the media, and oppressed men need to fight back.

The fact that gaming's demographic was a boy's club and has now widened has left a whole bunch of those anchors that alt right folks can cling to and use to spread their ideas. That's a problem in gaming culture, and we're not going to solve it by ignoring the issues in the culture, especially because people hoping to spread hatred aren't going to ignore them. It's important keep them framed within gaming culture.

I don't understand just what the hell that picture is trying to convey. Like I can see the blatant anti semitic imagery but otherwise I can't even begin to imagine what their point might be.

Murkas

So is this shitty gamer attitude present elsewhere? Like comic books are just as nerdy right? Some music genre of some sort? Or are gamers just the shittiest of the bunch?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So is this shitty gamer attitude present elsewhere? Like comic books are just as nerdy right? Some music genre of some sort? Or are gamers just the shittiest of the bunch?

I dunno open riots after sports game are up there.

There are shitty people in every form of media. It is just more obvious to us since we are also gamers.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I personally think that this is a huge over reaction. The difference between the left and right is literally just a difference of priorities nowadays. He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened and that everyone should be proud to be American, and that generalizations towards any race are messed up. He also doesn't really understand the use of labels and doesn't know much about gender identity and those kinds of things or at least doesn't understand. These are things that aren't very relateable to him and to many Americans. Don't attack him for not understanding. He thinks he already understands as that's the kind of guy he is, he just drew a different conclusion from some people. He probably will never understand a more liberal mindset so don't waste any time.

If he says any racist or xenophobic shit in this day and age it can usually be boiled down to, "my lifestyle is threatened". This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel. He's not going around committing crime he's just scared.

So let the guy stew. I have gotten way more complacent when it comes to ideologies in these trying times - many people have polarized completely. If someone has rather left or right views I try and be understanding.

If JonTron offended you, that's fine. But try and understand where he's coming from. Not as an excuse, but rather an explanation.

Did you ever hear any of the back lash about the fact Spiderman was black? Probably not, but it was there, but the thing is, it never really goes further because the nature of comic books mean they're always in flux, subject to change and the anger is usually passed over my reporting outlets.

Music though? There's some really, really vile comments from music communities, especially around females or non-white musicians performing in bands of certain genres, and there's entire genres of white nationalist music and they attract big audiences - punk music was plagued with it for years, Dead Kennedys had a song called "Nazi Punks, Fuck Off" and a continual barrage from artists led to a change within their culture where a lot of Neo Nazi punks ended up with tattoos of windows where the swastikas used to be because they basically forced them to look at themselves.

I dunno open riots after sports game are up there.

An announcer for an ice hockey team in the UK's top league made a homophobic comment over the PA when two guys on Kiss Cam kissed - "That's disgusting, get them out of here!" He said it was a joke, but not the first time he'd said some pretty homophobic things. Sports isn't exempt from it either.

Lanrutcon

I personally think that this is a huge over reaction. The difference between the left and right is literally just a difference of priorities nowadays. He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened and that everyone should be proud to be American, and that generalizations towards any race are messed up. He also doesn't really understand the use of labels and doesn't know much about gender identity and those kinds of things or at least doesn't understand. These are things that aren't very relateable to him and to many Americans. Don't attack him for not understanding. He thinks he already understands as that's the kind of guy he is, he just drew a different conclusion from some people. He probably will never understand a more liberal mindset so don't waste any time.

If he says any racist or xenophobic shit in this day and age it can usually be boiled down to, "my lifestyle is threatened". This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel. He's not going around committing crime he's just scared.

So let the guy stew. I have gotten way more complacent when it comes to ideologies in these trying times - many people have polarized completely. If someone has rather left or right views I try and be understanding.

If JonTron offended you, that's fine. But try and understand where he's coming from. Not as an excuse, but rather an explanation.

He's saying some very racist (and untrue) things to an impressionable audience millions strong. It's not about being offended (speaking personally here), it's about the message he's spreading regardless of whether it is his intent or not.

I think this is a legitimate problem.

Veezy

que?
Sorry I'm unable to debate because it meas I can't do a quick cut every sentence.

My favorite defense of him has been "Jon just came on looking to have a conversation but it appears that Destiny was prepared to debate with information. I don't think that's fair to Jon."

HE LITERALLY THINKS THAT BLACK PEOPLE ARE PREDISPOSED TO COMMIT MORE CRIME AND LITERALLY THINKS THAT AMERICA NEEDS TO PROTECT WHITE CULTURE. ARE YOU REALLY GONNA THROW OUT THE BOTH SIDES ON THIS ONE? REALLY?

He didn't offend me, he a bigot being praised by other bigots and he is encouraging other bigots. Full stop.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
He's saying some very racist (and untrue) things to an impressionable audience millions strong. It's not about being offended (speaking personally here), it's about the message he's spreading regardless of whether it is his intent or not.

I think this is a legitimate problem.

The problem isn't him, its the influence he has over the mindsets of his audience.

Is this basically your point?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
An announcer for an ice hockey team in the UK's top league made a homophobic comment over the PA when two guys on Kiss Cam kissed - "That's disgusting, get them out of here!" He said it was a joke, but not the first time he'd said some pretty homophobic things. Sports isn't exempt from it either.

Yeah thats what I mean, there aren't hobbies that make assholes, just assholes that have hobbies.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
My favorite defense of him has been "Jon just came on looking to have a conversation but it appears that Destiny was prepared to debate with information. I don't think that's fair to Jon."

HE LITERALLY THINKS THAT BLACK PEOPLE ARE PREDISPOSED TO COMMIT MORE CRIME AND LITERALLY THINKS THAT AMERICA NEEDS TO PROTECT WHITE CULTURE. ARE YOU REALLY GONNA THROW OUT THE BOTH SIDES ON THIS ONE? REALLY?

He didn't offend me, he a bigot being praised by other bigots and he is encouraging other bigots. Full stop.

Was not aware of that one. Gonna pump the brakes on my defense real quick. Can I get a sauce on that?

Nanashrew

Banned
JonTron kept generalizing race in the debate with Destiny. He's been on shows with Sargon of Akkad, a literal racist and misogynist. JonTron has been on his show a number of times now.

JonTron said some very racist things some actually white supremacist rhetoric. Nothing can be misconstrued.

I don't know why people find it so hard to accept the completely reasonable point of view that non-white immigrants are contaminating the American European white gene pool and blacks are genetically predisposed to commit crimes. Some people have no empathy, right?

Magwik

Banned

What the fuck is wrong with you.
Racism isn't just some different ideology.
Why Should anyone try and understand why someone literally hates minorities, or even argues that his own heritage is diluting the gene pool?
Seriously dude, what the fuck.

Aquillion

If he says any racist or xenophobic shit in this day and age it can usually be boiled down to, "my lifestyle is threatened". This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel.
What problems do you mean, precisely?

Because from my perspective, people like him are the problem facing America when it comes to race. He's not a confused naif desperately seeking for solution to any real issues; he's a self-interested scumbag frantically and very deliberately inventing fantasy problems and playing let's-pretend in order to defend white supremacy.

He's a white supremacist. Fullstop. The "problem" he is trying to solve is that white supremacy is threatened and he's scrambling to find excuses to defend it; since it's fundimentally indefensible, he's reduced to plaintive whining about "political correctness" and other tired, meaningless 90's buzzwords.

Lanrutcon

The problem isn't him, its the influence he has over the mindsets of his audience.

Is this basically your point?

Oh, he's a problem, but if he was a lone guy shouting at a wall I'd be less worried. Dude is broadcasting his views and while I haven't checked any numbers, I imagine his fanbase contains a lot of young folk who probably don't understand how damaging some of his views are.

stephen08

Was not aware of that one. Gonna pump the brakes on my defense real quick. Can I get a sauce on that?

Yeah. Him. On the debate that is readily available to be viewed in its entirety on youtube.

Also, maybe don't defend people if you don't know what was said.

Armaros

Why are you even hear posting a defense for what he stated if you dont even know why he made this response video over statements he made previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom