• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the Worst - Season 3 - Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh geez, Gretchen really going after the title of The Worst in this episode.

TripOpt55

A lot of funny lines in that one. Lindsey's description of Inception. The hyrbid workouts at the gym Edgar works at. Lindsey not having footprints. And so on. Really liked that episode.

Coolluck

I thought the episode killed it. Lots of funny moments and Aya Cash continues to kill it along with Chris Geere. Jimmy's faces are played up for comedy a lot but dude can nail serious moments too. Edgar has me so worried though. I wish he would seek help.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I love Samira Wiley, and The whole opening scene with her and Gretchen at the start.

"...and stop using FourSquare like you're the mayor of 2011."

G0523

I love Samira Wiley, and The whole opening scene with her and Gretchen at the start.

"...and stop using FourSquare like you're the mayor of 2011."

That was probably the best part of the episode. The rest? Hmm, kinda seemed like filler to me. All we really needed to know was that Jimmy now knows about his dad. Not much else has changed.

The characters seem dangerously close to getting Flanderized but the show is still capable of hitting the dramatic character beats really well. Having a party and making no pretenses about the characters having any other friends other than the core group of side-characters stood out as strikingly sitcom-ish to me. And that montage was just dumb and not very funny.

kevin1025

Banned
This show continues to be the most consistently funny show for me. Gretchen's reaction to the Pets of Instagram cruise was incredible.

I hope Jimmy's insult box makes a reappearance in the future, we need more dated insults!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The characters seem dangerously close to getting Flanderized but the show is still capable of hitting the dramatic character beats really well. Having a party and making no pretenses about the characters having any other friends other than the core group of side-characters stood out as strikingly sitcom-ish to me. And that montage was just dumb and not very funny.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Scribble

I don't think Samira Wiley can do more than Poussey, but I like her so I'm kind of biased. It's the deer-in-headlights facial expressions.

And yeah, the flanderised thing is true. I like how Lindsay's sister was the one character who stood out as being THE WORST in a very explicit way. Now the rest are competing for the title.

Still a good show.

Strike

Gretchen was absolutely adorable this episode. Lindsay on the other hand, seriously needs help. I fear for that kid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"How are you holding up, Jimmy? When my guinea pig died I couldn't jack off for like..half a day."

EDIT:

"You never say 'thank you'."

"THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY'S FOR."

fucking LOL

EDIT 2: Incredible episode this week. One of the series' best for sure. Lindsay secretly being a really good mom is a fun twist.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
There is no way Jimmy should have been able to urinate that quickly after ejaculating. I know it's tv but come on. Suspension of disbelief ruined!
lol

Luke_Wal

I haven't watched this, but I'm super interested in it. Is there a good free way to watch the first two seasons? I have a cable subscription and Netflix/Hulu, but I didn't see it on either of those.

Excellent. Let's all have some trash juice.

u6i2J08.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Aya Cash and and Kether Donohue were on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast earlier this week, and dropped some general details on episode experimentation this season:
Multiple episodes will closely follow single characters, ala "LCD Soundsystem" last year, beginning with tonight's I believe.
One episode won't feature any of the four regulars at all.

Not sure if that's been said in any previous interviews.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
For a supposed comedy, You're the Worst tackles heavy themes more elegantly than most dramas on television. This episode was just incredible and a great demonstration of Desmin Borges's considerable talent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not a super fan of when the show goes into Serious Mode, but that one was pretty good. I thought the scenes with the tow truck driver were particularly well handled.

(the silent film at the end was dumb though)

BearPawB

Banned
Great, surprising episode.
I think edgar is typically one of the weaker aspects of the show, but this was a powerful episode

Mixed feelings about that one. I liked that they took the risk and think it mostly paid off, but the comedic bits were strange given the somber tone and real-world issue. Like when he opened the medicine cabinet? Felt like something from Always Sunny. This show has a weird tone like that sometimes, though, which I still find off-putting. And having the tow truck guy be a vet and the answer to Edgar's problems, while nice, felt a little contrived. Still, pretty strong episode and nice to finally give some depth to a doormat.

I just tweeted Desmin Borges that he deserved an Emmy Nom for that episode. He likes it.

Such a quality episode of television that was.

Taruranto

Jim and Gretchen really came off as cartoony this episode. I know most of their scenes were recycled from the previous one, but stuff like sex on the back of the car while Edgar is driving? That's a bit too much even for them.

Sober

Jim and Gretchen really came off as cartoony this episode. I know most of their scenes were recycled from the previous one, but stuff like sex on the back of the car while Edgar is driving? That's a bit too much even for them.
I think it's slightly heightened from Edgar's POV?

Cause I know the breakfast table scene was funny last episode but it felt like absolutely extra scathing especially when Jimmy brought up stuff like shellshock to Edgar this episode. I'm sure it's mostly just colour balance, tone and editing but it felt a little different that time around.

G0523

Great episode! Poor Edgar has been going through so much and I'm glad he was finally able to talk to someone who understands what he's going through. This is just the beginning of his arc, I'm sure.

beat

I think it's slightly heightened from Edgar's POV?

Cause I know the breakfast table scene was funny last episode but it felt like absolutely extra scathing especially when Jimmy brought up stuff like shellshock to Edgar this episode. I'm sure it's mostly just colour balance, tone and editing but it felt a little different that time around.

They shot those scenes for the two eps at the same time, but they weren't literally recycled shots:
While we were on the breakfast table Stephen would be like, “This is episode four.” Then he would come up to me and be like, “Hey, now go into episode five mode.” Aya, Chris, and Kether knew exactly what it meant that we were going into episode five. Even though their performances only slightly changed, the tone on set would be completely different.

Mikeside

Holy fuck this show is amazing. For a show that can be so zany, it sure does bring in the feels.

I'd love to know how accurate a depiction of PTSD that really was because it felt it

TripOpt55

Really impressed with the kind of subject matter this show manages to cover. When it wants to be funny, it can be so good at that, but then it can also do episodes like this. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom