• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a consistent thing I've heard about this year's depth, is that there's a falloff after 5-6, depending on what you think of Blackmon. But with RBs these days, how far does he fall? I think at #6 is where teams might be interested in moving up for him, and I'd LOVE if the Rams moved back to #6 and then back again. They have sooo many holes and need as many picks as they can get.

I understand you always want the elite players, but the only guy they need is Kalil, and there's just no way to trade down and still get him. And they've flat out said they are trading down. So unless they love Claiborn and deal with the Browns, they might as well drop to the middle of the first and stock up on picks

I'm just waiting to see how much you guys poach CLE for. Atlanta gave a fortune for a WR at #6 was it? How much will you get for #2? We'll see what your GM is worth.

Damn I wish you were talking about the real draft

Pfft I've been pining for the draft since January :(

squicken

I'm just waiting to see how much you guys poach CLE for. Atlanta gave a fortune for a WR at #6 was it? How much will you get for #2? We'll see what your GM is worth.

Pfft I've been pining for the draft since January :(

Fun with statistics and all that, but Brees is the only QB to win a SB in the past 7 years that wasn't drafted in the first round (and he was a 2nd). Obviously there are diamonds in the rough, but the place to find a franchise QB is in the first round. If not CLE, then it will be someone else

This bounty thing is getting a ton of air time. There's such a fine line apparently. But I'll use Mendy and his loudmouth stupidity as an example.

Before a game in his rookie season, Mendy tweeted that the Ravens D was shit and he was gonna run all over them. On like his 3rd carry of the game, Ray Lewis broke his shoulder and he was done for the year.

Assume the following ensued prior to the game:
TSizzle: Ah, Ray, good to see you. Did you perhaps see what that young man, Rashard, from Pittsburgh had to say on the Twitter?
Ray: No, I can't say I that I did. I prefer reading and helping the unfortunate, rather than Twitter
TSizzle: I agree, as the Bible says, Turn the other Cheek, and I must say that's really the only respectable thing to do in this situation.
Ray: I concur
TSizzle: Will you be playing at your normal stellar level on Sunday?
Ray: Of course, my friend.
Ray gives TSizzle "a dignified handshake."
TSizzle: Wonderful, wonderful. In that case, if you play up to your usual level, I will take you to a fine dinner at the Charleston! They have the finest foie gras

This, I'm assuming, is okay.

Fixed

Found the post:

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the mock, so let me clear some stuff up:

Your team choice should be considered a consensus pick - team members should collaborate to choose someone instead of one just blurting out their pick.

Four hours selection time per team. You don't make the time, you get skipped.

If you fear missing your time, pm me a list of your preferred choices from first to last. I will pick the first one available on your behalf.

No trades. We're not doing a full seven rounds so there is nothing tangible to trade. That said, try to predict who your team will draft, taking trading of picks into consideration.

Start date will be approximately Wednesday the 7th unless there are any objections.

Hey look... I got that fancy new Sony system that all the kids are talking about!

dAcr9.jpg

Send me your gamer tags!

squicken

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/19276/why-are-nfl-teams-afraid-of-the-dark

What the Texans needed to do was recognize their strengths and weaknesses as an organization and act accordingly. They have a blocking scheme with a long history of producing successful one-cut running backs on the cheap, and in 2009 second-rounder Ben Tate, they have a replacement for Foster on the ready. And if Tate struggles, they should be able to find the next Foster or Mike Anderson or Reuben Droughns available for the league minimum and plug him in.

Anyone who watches the Texans actually play knows there's a gigantic gulf in quality between Foster and Slaton/Tate. This is a major reason why this whole analytics thing will never be anywhere close to what it is in other sports. You can't just look at Tate's YPC. Watch him run and see him miss obvious cutback lanes, or totally fail to pass block, or catch passes.

You also have to manage your locker room. Guys need to know that if they play well, they'll be rewarded. You can't be stupid, and do what SEA and CAR did with their RBs. But Foster is worth the risk.

bionic77

Yes, shitting! Not pissing! Go read his interview on goddell again
I know what you are talking about. But just because he doesn't want to piss on his boss doesn't mean he isn't willing to piss on his wife, teammates or Niner fans.

I'm a gun aficionado, not a nut.
My apologies Mr. Heston.

This bounty thing is getting a ton of air time. There's such a fine line apparently. But I'll use Mendy and his loudmouth stupidity as an example.

Before a game in his rookie season, Mendy tweeted that the Ravens D was shit and he was gonna run all over them. On like his 3rd carry of the game, Ray Lewis broke his shoulder and he was done for the year.

Assume the following ensued prior to the game:
TSizzle: Yo, Ray, did you see that shit Mendy tweeted?
Ray: Fucker's a dumbass. I'm gonna fuck him up.
TSizzle: Yeah?
Ray: Yeah.
TSizzle: Yeah?
Ray: Yeah.
TSizzle: You think?
Ray gives TSizzle "the stare."
TSizzle: Tell you what, you fuck him up, I take you anywhere in the world for dinner. Any-fucking-where. I'll charter us a plane, champagne on the ride, steaks and the whole shit.
Ray: All right.

This, I'm assuming, is okay.

Now, if Chuck Pagano or whoever the DC is comes in and hears this and says:
DC: Ray, I heard you and TSizzle. Tell you what. I'll sweeten the deal. You take that loudmouth bastard outta the game, I'll give you $1000. You knock him out for the season, I'll give you $5000. You end that fucker's career for shitting on our D, I'll give you $50,000.

This is not ok.

Sorta like you and a buddy at a bar and he says, "See that chick at the bar? Bang her tonight and I'll buy you dinner tomorrow" vs. your employer saying "See that chick at the bar? She's with the competition. Get her drunk, bang her for all I care, but make sure she's late to the meeting tomorrow."
A lot of it comes down to expectations. If come out a Ravens game without being stabbed and with your anal virginity intact you consider yourself lucky. They probably have give Ray Lewis incentives to leave his stabbing knife at home.

The Saint and Brees were marketed to us as the messiahs of New Orleans whose SB winning season helped to forget the fact that New Orleans is still a disaster area. The allegations that those supposed Saints are really just D-bags who are also good at football (at least inside) is a shock to the idiots who take these things too seriously.

I really don't give a fuck other than it will be a lot of fun to give Saint fans shit next season. I don't see any Lando leaps in their immediate future!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
We should have jak just add our tags to his list. Get on it!

Mine's the same as my user name, and the same for steam, origin and psn.

Small Giants update lost in all of the bounty hub bub - Dominik Hixon resigned:

Updating previous reports, New York Giants WR Domenik Hixon's deal is worth $615,000, and doesn't include a signing bonus

Just a one year deal.

eznark said:
Thanks. I'll add you tonight.

squicken

Most of those incentives are either small enough as to be kangaroo court stuff or specifically outlined and reported as part of compensation packages. If the awards are over $3000 they are reportable and most teams (unlike the Saints) are well aware that the IRS most certainly does give a shit, and that they employ morons who run their mouths.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195695/index.htm

On Saturday nights during the 2009 NFL season, Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the lightning-rod leader of a feisty unit, would stand in front of his men holding white envelopes filled with cash—bonuses for their performances the previous week. As Williams called up player after player, handing them envelopes with amounts ranging from $100 for a special teams tackle inside the opponents' 20-yard line to $1,500 for knocking a foe out of the game, a chant would rise up from the fired-up defenders:

"Give it back! Give it back! Give it back!"

Many players would do just that, to beef up the pot and make the stakes bigger as the season went on. The NFL alleges that by the time New Orleans reached the NFC Championship Game against the Vikings on Jan. 24, 2010, the stakes had risen to the point that middle linebacker and defensive captain Jonathan Vilma personally offered a $10,000 bounty to any player who knocked Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre out of the game.

From the SI article:

In addition, more than 50 former NFL players have filed lawsuits against the league, alleging that it didn't do enough to prevent concussions and head trauma during their playing days.
I said it yesterday and I'll say again that these knuckleheads going on about these so called "bounty" hits to injure players as being "just football" are at such a level of hypocrisy that it boggles my mind. It's really *the* most irksome thing to me about this entire scandal. The focus thus far has been about the culpability of the coaches and how the league They had best not come back 15 years down the line crying and moaning about the NFL not having done enough to supposedly protect them or holding their hands out for lifetime medical.

What's the league and ownership supposed to do when you idiots are taking $1500 bribes and cheering at the prospect of a player being carted off, concussed, taken to the back with an ACL tear from a low hit that was specifically targeted?

LJ11

From the SI article:

I said it yesterday and I'll say again that these knuckleheads going on about these so called "bounty" hits to injure players as being "just football" are at such a level of hypocrisy that it boggles my mind. It's really *the* most irksome thing to me about this entire scandal. The focus thus far has been about the culpability of the coaches and how the league They had best not come back 15 years down the line crying and moaning about the NFL not having done enough to supposedly protect them or holding their hands out for lifetime medical.

What's the league and ownership supposed to do when you idiots are taking $1500 bribes and cheering at the prospect of a player being carted off, concussed, taken to the back with an ACL tear from a low hit that was specifically targeted?

Bounty or not, these guys try to take each other out. Look at Harrison or Clark, I really didn't think the Harrison hit on McCoy was dirty, he just plays the game a certain way and he'll level you if he has an opportunity.

Suh's the prototypical NFL nutter, a gentlemen off and a loose cannon on. Their personalities change when they stop on the field, survival of the fittest, kill or be killed, take no prisoners and every other cliche you want to throw in there.

They may claim to have respect for one another, at least off the field, but on the field they don't give a shit and respect goes out the window.

bionic77

my PS3 tag is bionic77 but I honestly can't remember the last time I used it for anything other than Netflix.

I keep thinking of playing Uncharted 2/3 or RDR but I just don't see to have that kind of time anymore.

For busy people portable gaming is the best gaming. Even if I wasn't busy I think the DS Lite would have been my fav console from last gen. Seeing that Vita screen is making me consider getting one. I will probably use it for old school games more than anything else. Hopefully it is cracked soon and I can emulate some SNES and Genny games. I won't have any interest in the 3DS until Fire Emblem comes out for it.

eznark

Banned
my PS3 tag is bionic77 but I honestly can't remember the last time I used it for anything other than Netflix.

I keep thinking of playing Uncharted 2/3 or RDR but I just don't see to have that kind of time anymore.

For busy people portable gaming is the best gaming. Even if I wasn't busy I think the DS Lite would have been my fav console from last gen. Seeing that Vita screen is making me consider getting one. I will probably use it for old school games more than anything else. Hopefully it is cracked soon and I can emulate some SNES and Genny games. I won't have any interest in the 3DS until Fire Emblem comes out for it.

PSP with CFW was the greatest single system ever made. I cannot wait until I can do the same stuff on the Vita.

Another day, another day without football. I do however get to watch Pitt basketball lose today

Hell ya. I hope Zona can do something in the tourney this year, granted that they even get invited. I have not even been keeping up with mens BB this year so I'm not quite sure if they are a bubble team or not. How's PITT been this year?

bionic77

oh, should I not bother trying to grab the Wii one then?
I agree 100% with eznark.

The games on the handhelds are some of the best games I have every played (fuck you Nintendo for making us wait like 20 years to get these gems).

They lose something going to consoles. The graphics are not as enjoyable and it feels a little slower (which makes a bigger difference in the later stages when you have to make a billion moves). This is one of those cases where less is definitely more.

Draxal

The Wii game is a continuation of the Gamecube game, if you have to grab the Wii one you pretty much need the gamecube one to enjoy it.

The problem I have with the gamecube/wii gameplay is that the engine makes the combat so slow.

Fire Emblem 4 was my favorite one though, since it's quite different than the other ones.

edit.

On topic, Plax was on Sirius today, and said he loved big grey equipment, whatever that means.

jakncoke

Banned
Hell ya. I hope Zona can do something in the tourney this year, granted that they even get invited. I have not even been keeping up with mens BB this year so I'm not quite sure if they are a bubble team or not. How's PITT been this year?

We suck ass, no heart, we turn over the ball like 20 times a game, our top recruit quit the team and went back to drinking bagged milk. We might not even make the NIT. 16-15 regular season.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The Wii game is a continuation of the Gamecube game, if you have to grab the Wii one you pretty much need the gamecube one to enjoy it.

The problem I have with the gamecube/wii gameplay is that the engine makes the combat so slow.

yeah, I have the gamecube one already.

The new Addidases
Addidi?
are pretty sweet, but I think I'd go with Nike Romaleos 2s.

I don't know about the plural form but it's spelled with only one "d". Here's an easy way to remember, All Day I Dream About Slo.

eznark

Banned

I kind of hated the Wii game, honestly. I thought the art was uninspired and the continuation of the story lame. The animation is also awful and if I remember correctly, you had to sit through the whole thing for each battle, which made the game excruciatingly long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom