• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA refuses to refund user for Sim City and then threatens a ban if they chargeback

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The gaming service provider might even argue that the buyer couldn't reasonably expect to get flawless service at this price point, because similar products that do not have service elements aren't any cheaper (yes, few gamers think the service adds any value at all to the product, but running the service does cost money).

You should send EA your resume.

PaulLFC

I suppose the situation here is quite similar to that of an internet service that is too slow or intermittently unavailable. The internet service operator is always given the opportunity to fix the issue, although you may be entitled to compensation if the service is down for a longer duration. The quality of the service can also wildly vary and still be deemed acceptable. Of course, the contracts also do not promise 100% uptime and the speeds come with the qualifier "up to ". Similarly Origin terms of service does not guarantee that the service is always available. The product itself isn't defective, at least in the legal sense (as a side note, software bugs are rarely if ever grounds for a refund).

The difference is though that the gaming service is a single time, upfront payment. Even though there is a delay in the performance (if it's completely unavailable), if the issues get fixed in a reasonable time frame, the buyer does not suffer any real damages arising from the delay. The gaming service provider might even argue that the buyer couldn't reasonably expect to get flawless service at this price point, because similar products that do not have service elements aren't any cheaper (yes, few gamers think the service adds any value at all to the product, but running the service does cost money).
It was their decision to build this "service" into the game. Nobody asked for it. Nobody said "I won't buy SimCity unless it requires me to always be online, I want to make use of my internet connection!" They set the price and the features, one such "feature" being this always online service. They decided to offer said service for the price they set (and it is more expensive than other products at least in the UK, £45 on Origin just for the cheapest version, which is laughable).

Therefore, it is a more than reasonable expectation from anyone who has bought the product that it should work.

Roto13

Wait, so the OP of this whole thing was lying? How was this found out?

He's s making up an issue about the game itself being broken and not the servers. He wants to convince EA customer service that the game is broken and will never be playable. (Just so I'm 100% clear, I don't mean the creator of this thread, I mean the guy in the support conversation. :p)

Also he's one of those people who acts like he can just sic the internet on anyone he doesn't like, so to hell with that guy.

Top Bottom