• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Glad I was able to finally catch both of these episodes. Stevenbomb indeed. I really thing Sugar and her crew have really outdone themselves in crafting a really awesome story into this show with some very interesting characters. Looking forward to everything that Season 2 offers and whatever else in up their sleeves.

YOU GUYS AND GALS.

Remember the episode where Steven and Connie fuse? Garnet had a big stupid grin when she found out THIS TAKES ON A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO THAT!

I was thinking about that today as well. Makes a ton of sense now.

Psxphile

Does anyone know where I can find a vector of the steven universe logo?

Like, an actual vector image... or just a large, high-quality transparent version of the logo? Because the latter's easy to find:

tumblr_static_20131115222424_steven_universe.png

Kuro

Like, an actual vector image... or just a large, high-quality transparent version of the logo? Because the latter's easy to find:

I'm getting a laser engraving onto a dac/amp from JDS Labs and they recommend using an image with a minimum 600ppi or a Vector

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So, can we all talk about how Ruby and Sapphire is actually a well-executed relationship that isn't forced at all and actually pretty goddamn beautiful unlike the BS they threw at us with Korra and Asami?

I mean, Garnet is, quite literally, the embodiment of their love. Her mere existence is touching as shit.
It is indeed beautiful and BRILLIANT. But
the way RubyxSapphire was handled didn't lessen or invalidate my appreciation of korrasami whatsoever. I very much enjoyed both interpretations of what a same sex relationship could look like.

So, I am no doubt missing an easy answer here, but based on how everyone was referring to one another
especially how Jasper called them out when first seeing them, it seems that the gems are the beings themselves, right? Like their bodies are just projections from within the gem. In that sense, Jasper is, perhaps, not incorrect when she refers to Steven as Rose Quartz because could it not be that the gem in Steven's belly is, in fact, Rose Quartz?

I guess what I'm saying is: Could this be Steven Universe's "Wife Arm"?
If that's the case, it also reminds me of (90s anime spoiler)
Shinji's mom in Evangelion. Steven's bubble/shield would be like Unit 01's A.T. field, the mom protecting the son in moments of crisis.

And you were saying last week that CN was afraid to show this stuff. :p

They already showed something similar though. Clarence had an implied male gay couple. Sure they were throwaway characters in the background but hey it at least happened and set the picture for something like this. And not only that, they managed to do it well instead of a certain show that just threw it out at the end.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They already showed something similar though. Clarence had an implied male gay couple. Sure they were throwaway characters in the background but hey it at least happened and set the picture for something like this. And not only that, they managed to do it well instead of a certain show that just threw it out at the end.
That person specifically criticized that scene because they had changed it last minute to kisses on the cheek. I think it's pretty obvious now that CN is the most progressive and lenient out of the holy trinity, that being Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.
I also hated Korrasami as it had no buildup whatsoever besides one scene where she blushed.

That person specifically criticized that scene because they had changed it last minute to kisses on the cheek. I think it's pretty obvious now that CN is the most progressive and lenient out of the holy trinity, that being Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.
I also hated Korrasami as it had no buildup whatsoever besides one scene where she blushed.

Well yeah, but you can't go from nothing to something. Baby steps, we gotta give credit where it's due

Avixph

Also the character named Jeff from Clarence has two lesbian moms.

Toxi

Banned
Am i the only one whot thought Ruby was male? :p
Then again maybe Ruby, Sapphire and Japser are genderless
;3
Technically gems are non-binary, but for all all intents and purposes gems in the show are treated as female. Female default shape, female voice actors, and referred to as her. Obviously Steven is the main exception.

I'm going to assume the same, since what the others are saying in spoilers
Gems can shapeshift so making hands in an instant wouldnt be an issue
In the previous part you see her holding the disruptor with her normal disjointed fingers, so I'm gonna go with goof.

Dunkley

So, I am no doubt missing an easy answer here, but based on how everyone was referring to one another
especially how Jasper called them out when first seeing them, it seems that the gems are the beings themselves, right? Like their bodies are just projections from within the gem. In that sense, Jasper is, perhaps, not incorrect when she refers to Steven as Rose Quartz because could it not be that the gem in Steven's belly is, in fact, Rose Quartz?

I think this might be right, after all
Rose DOES say to Steven in The Message that they can’t both exist at the same time, and that she's going to become half of him. And that he needs to know that every moment he loves being himself, that’s her, loving him and loving being him.

So yeah that's her, except that her Gem isn't projecting anything as her body is Steven now, and I guess partly Steven's humanity covered up Rose to Jasper before he activated his powers.

Leonel

Neo Member
God, I can't even articulate how perfect the season finale was. Seriously my favorite cartoon I've ever seen. I've always known this show had some major anime influences and it wasn't anymore evident than with these last two episodes.

The whole Ruby and Sapphire encounter was just beautiful, I really didn't expect to be so touched by their reveal. The song "Stronger Than You" is one of the best songs to come out of any animated property, mainly due to its meaning. And Jasper was just unbelievably entertaining, the fight scene between her and Garnet had me almost freaking out like a little school girl.

Unbounded

It is indeed beautiful and BRILLIANT. But
the way RubyxSapphire was handled didn't lessen or invalidate my appreciation of korrasami whatsoever. I very much enjoyed both interpretations of what a same sex relationship could look like.

Korrasami came out of absolutely nowhere and had absolutely no hinting towards it, or even any buildup whatsoever. It was just "Hey, we're dating now kbai. The entire Korrasami thing was practically just pandering to the shippers."

Now, though. Regarding
Garnet, Ruby, and Sapphire, the ENTIRE thing was hinted multiple times through various episodes, and naturally they had to have a good reason to remain fused all the damn time. Them being in love is just one of the reasons that works out really well. It's beautiful. It makes sense. It's well-executed. It just makes the terrible forced relationship in Korra seem even more terrible and forced.

My only complain about the show is how Steven is continuously resolving conflicts and begging "stop fighting" between other characters conflicts.

I would like it if he would back off sometimes and let people hash it out!

Toxi

Banned
Korrasami came out of absolutely nowhere and had absolutely no hinting towards it, or even any buildup whatsoever. It was just "Hey, we're dating now kbai. The entire Korrasami thing was practically just pandering to the shippers."

Now, though. Regarding
Garnet, Ruby, and Sapphire, the ENTIRE thing was hinted multiple times through various episodes, and naturally they had to have a good reason to remain fused all the damn time. Them being in love is just one of the reasons that works out really well. It's beautiful. It makes sense. It's well-executed. It just makes the terrible forced relationship in Korra seem even more terrible and forced.
I'm not sure how one can watch season 4 of Korra
and not see the obvious build-up in episodes like Korra Alone and Reunion. It's not exactly subtle.

My only complain about the show is how Steven is continuously resolving conflicts and begging "stop fighting" between other characters conflicts.

I would like it if he would back off sometimes and let people hash it out!
That's just the sort of person Steven is.

KiN0

Honestly though, I don't think it is pure and perfect and the concept of what one might extrapolate from the Ruby/Sapphire relationship and Garnet's song is both unrealistic and, I would go as far as to say again, unhealthy. I hope they address it on the show, but if you met two people like them in real life, would that strike you as normal? I mean isn't this just an updated continuation of the old, Disney-esque "one person to complete me/true love forever" dynamic? Seems like something this show would avoid.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or pick on you, it's just the more I've thought about it, the more that's been nagging at me. We definitely don't have enough information right now to say either way, but I wonder if the writers are thinking about it this way at all.

The downside to Garnet is the fact that her two original parts are practically helpless when separated. It's cheesy but together they are stronger than the average gem.

Unbounded

I'm not sure how one can watch season 4 of Korra
and not see the obvious build-up in episodes like Korra Alone and Reunion. It's not exactly subtle.

"Obvious" to those viewing the entire series through shipper goggles. =\

Literally everything that happened that's considered "build-up" for Korrasami could be explained away quite easily in multiple different ways. If they didn't have that ending there and force them together we'd still have people debating who Korra hooked up with in the end.

Edit: On the other hand,
With Garnet, we were convinced she was a fusion because of many pieces of evidence spanning the entire series up to this point where by the time it's revealed she's a fusion most of us were already convinced of it beforehand. And for two gems to want to be fused together for that long it makes sense to have a very good reason for it. They gave us one. Everything works together really well.

Raxus

"Obvious" to those viewing the entire series through shipper goggles. =\

Literally everything that happened that's considered "build-up" for Korrasami could be explained away quite easily in multiple different ways. If they didn't have that ending there and force them together we'd still have people debating who Korra hooked up with in the end.

Which is silly considering several events strongly hinted at Korra and Asami in seasons 3 and 4.

Raxus

Since Steven is the first of his kind, how did Rose know for sure they couldn't both exist?

Gems cannot reproduce by themselves she would have to give up herself in order to make Steven a complete being, half gem and half human. That being said it is still a big mystery especially considering Lion was Rose's and nobody had any clue he existed.

vypek

Gems cannot reproduce by themselves she would have to give up herself in order to make Steven a complete being, half gem and half human. That being said it is still a big mystery especially considering Lion was Rose's and nobody had any clue he existed.

I suppose that is true. An earlier post just made me think, why didn't Rose assume they could both exist since he wouldn't be just a normal gem. How could she know when gems have never reproduced before? Just made me wonder if Rose just knows so much more about their existences than everyone else. Really looking for more episodes that talk about Rose and give more info on her. Rose must have some interesting secrets. So many questions...think I might restart the series and look for things I may have missed.

I mean, getting into the questionable biology/anatomy involved, I can see why Jasper might have been a bit grossed out by the prospect of Gem-Human sex. It could have been a really, really weird process.

All we know for certain is that Greg and Rose were in love, Rose was pregnant, she lost her physical form when Steven was "born," and that Steven resembles Greg with Roes's more pinkish skin. We don't know how Rose got pregnant, how long she was pregnant, what the birth process was like, what it means for a rock-lady with an ephemeral humanoid body to be pregnant in the first place.

For all we know, Greg gave her a tummy raspberry and ended up with a son and a dead wife a week later.

Toxi

Banned
"Obvious" to those viewing the entire series through shipper goggles. =

I am the last person who could be accused of wearing shipping goggles. It's still obvious in hindsight what the writers were hinting at.

And of course in your hypothetical ending people would debate. Shippers will debate anything that isn't outright confirmed (and judging by the responses to book 4's ending, even the things that are confirmed).
I mean, getting into the questionable biology/anatomy involved, I can see why Jasper might have been a bit grossed out by the prospect of Gem-Human sex. It could have been a really, really weird process.

All we know for certain is that Greg and Rose were in love, Rose was pregnant, she lost her physical form when Steven was "born," and that Steven resembles Greg with Roes's more pinkish skin. We don't know how Rose got pregnant, how long she was pregnant, what the birth process was like, what it means for a rock-lady with an ephemeral humanoid body to be pregnant in the first place.

For all we know, Greg gave her a tummy raspberry and ended up with a son and a dead wife a week later
I don't think Jasper even knew what was going on with Steven. She just saw "Rose Quartz" acting small and weak and oblivious and was disgusted by that, because Jasper is an asshole.

Raxus

Final bomb drops in 5 minutes. SPOILERS FROM THE FINALE ARE LIFTED AFTER THIS EPISODE (seems fair ya?) PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

vypek

Gems can project themselves to any form they want so is it safe to say that body size has zero indication of power; or is it possible that the larger a gem is, the stronger they are?

New episode coming up :)

Final bomb drops in 5 minutes. SPOILERS FROM THE FINALE ARE LIFTED AFTER THIS EPISODE (seems fair ya?) PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Yes please. We're starting to spoiler-tag things that aren't even related to the last episode at this point. All conversation is black bars. haha

Avixph

Seeing as how corrupted Gems look like animals, what if Rose split her self up into halves one Steven and the other Lion?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm starting to wonder if
Steven is not a new form of gem fusion; like Garnet, his existence is stable because Rose's love for her child creates perfect harmony between Steven and his gem. And the fusion is so complete, they never have a separate internal dialog.

The fact that Steven is capable of pulling normal humans such as Connie into gem-powered phenomenon like fusion... everything, to me, points to Steven representing a crucial link between gems and humans.

One thing I'm really curious to find out about, if it is ever explained, is the gems "infecting" planets to suck them dry and reproduce. I wonder the gems *must* harm and exploit organic life to create new gems. Or if they can create new gems in an ethical manner except not on a scale that allows manufacture armies to take over worlds.

Toxi

Banned
Gems can project themselves to any form they want so is it safe to say that body size has zero indication of power; or is it possible that the larger a gem is, the stronger they are?
Gems seem to have a default form they're born in; Amethyst's hole in the Kindergarten is the same shape and size as current Amethyst.

I don't think size is indicative of power (see Lapis Lazuli), but
Jasper is an asshole who values physical strength above all else, and size is indicative of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom