• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Chris R

Dude, this is awesome. Thank you. Where is the "flip" option in handbrake?

Under the "Filters" tab for me in Windows.

You do have to make sure you click it each time you pick a different encoding preset though, the first encode I did at 720p30 was too big.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Under the "Filters" tab for me in Windows.

You do have to make sure you click it each time you pick a different encoding preset though, the first encode I did at 720p30 was too big.

Well, looks like the Mac version is just behind the PC version then, as I cannot find that at all in filters.

theecakee

Had a client at work request a quote on making their website mobile responsive about a week back, I took a cursory look at the code and layout and told my supervisor it would take about 8 hours at most. The site was built in 2014 and a few things would need to be updated and changed, and then digging through our old lazy ass freelancer's code would take some doing. I thought it was fair. I have cleaned up a few of this clown's sites before, it usually takes less time but this is a 10 page site with a lot of dumb js plugins.

Fast forward to today: Client approves, and I get to work. I start by inspecting the old site to see how the banner was put together and how I can make it scale for mobile. Whelp, I goofed by not inspecting any deeper than the surface level. Turns out our old shitty freelancer decided to set the background image as the full PSD file for the design with main text are hidden, but all of the button, header, and menu text shown. He used fixed height and width a tags to make the menus and buttons--setting the text indent on those tags to -10000px and positioned pretty much everything absolutely to match the PSD background image. The only live text on the site is in the main content section. Needless to say I am rebuilding the site from the ground up, and it's probably gonna take a bit more than quoted; thank god we still have the source psd for the design in our files.

Is this how websites were built in 2013-2014, or am I justified for wanting to strangle this old freelancer? Anyone else had to do something dumb like this?

I think my first website I made like 10 years ago I made it mostly with tons of images like that. Though I was a teenager and never done that before haha.

When coding h2's and a paragraph after, what is the best practice when you have multiple h2's and paragraph's to code right after each other? Should I put each H2 and paragraph in their own div? Spamming <br> is probably not a good idea right? So should each h2 and paragraph be in their own dive and then all of them wrapped under another div?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
When coding h2's and a paragraph after, what is the best practice when you have multiple h2's and paragraph's to code right after each other? Should I put each H2 and paragraph in their own div? Spamming <br> is probably not a good idea right? So should each h2 and paragraph be in their own dive and then all of them wrapped under another div?

they should all be on the same level unless they're separate pieces of content.unrelated to each other.

if they can be considered separate then maybe use <article>.

GiantBeagle

Neo Member
I've just started learning the basics of these languages because I want to move into development and didnt do a computer science degree. This thread is a godsend, so many useful tools!

I have to say learning this stuff is a pretty daunting task on my own (I don't have the money to go take a real course or degree right now) any tips for a starter on making things as straightforward as possible and maybe a little less terrifying?

they should all be on the same level unless they're separate pieces of content.unrelated to each other.

if they can be considered separate then maybe use <article>.

nice, thanks. one more thing, if they are on the same level then what if I want to give it spacing from the top so its not close to each other? i wouldn't have other html tags to use to control the spacing css then.

I've just started learning the basics of these languages because I want to move into development and didnt do a computer science degree. This thread is a godsend, so many useful tools!

I have to say learning this stuff is a pretty daunting task on my own (I don't have the money to go take a real course or degree right now) any tips for a starter on making things as straightforward as possible and maybe a little less terrifying?

Heh, looking at all those tools and technologies listed in the OP is pretty intimidating, but you should always start with just HTML and CSS. They're generally easy to learn, and Codecademy is a decent place to start. Make sure to understand the syntax, and then move onto design and layouts. Once you feel comfortable, make a webpage out it! You can always use CodePen or JSFiddle to fiddle around with front-end code.

nice, thanks. one more thing, if they are on the same level then what if I want to give it spacing from the top so its not close to each other? i wouldn't have other html tags to use to control the spacing css then.

Use CSS margin, like so, unless you mean like this.

Somnid

Anyone offer advice with BitBucket and SmartGIT with branches as I am starting to get pissed off.

I am a novice with this really only knowing the basics of an existing project and committing changes to said project.

I need to create a new branch and make changes to this branch going forward to test things with a view to it being merged back later once it's all OK.

I created a local branch (checked it out through smartgit) and added a few files and made a few changes, then I wanted to revert back to the main branch so I checked out the main branch yet the files from the other branch are still there, that's not correct is it?

Question is what the hell am I doing wrong?

I've also tried creating it in BitBucket but my branches always fall under the merged category, why?

OK, now I am getting annoyed, I quickly setup a test project repo and everything worked as expected with checking out branches and the like, as in when I created a branch and then made some changes those files only showed when that branch was checked out.

Make a new branch from current branch:

git checkout -b {branchname}

Make edits, when you want to save:

git add -A (stages all new/changed files for commit, you probably want to check with "git status" incase there was something you didn't mean to change, add)

git commit -m "{your message}" (commits changes to branch)

when you want to merge your branch:

git checkout {branchname} (branch you want to merge into)
git merge {branchname} (branch you want to merge)

If you don't commit, changes are part of the "working changes" and so if you switch branches they will follow you. You either need to commit them, or temporarily stash them ("git stash", and to get them again "git stash pop"). To blow the working changes away use "git reset --hard".

Daffy Duck

Thanks for the reply, that all makes sense now and the error of my ways was not committing the changes I had made and I was baked from the 30 degree+ heat and couldn't think.

I really need a decent tutorial to read about this stuff.

Edit: one other major question regarding eb deploy to Amazon which this site has, does the eb deploy command deploy the current working branch if say the branch that it checked out is say "feature1" or is it always the master branch?

jokkir

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but I'll try.

I'm setting up a website for my work and using Wordpress to do it. I'm using Mailchimp for a newsletter subscription and using Contact Form 7 with the Mailchimp addon to CF7 to add people that actually sign up for the form to the list on Mailchimp.

What I want to do (and having trouble with) is to send the opt-in email right after the person signs up and joins the subscriber list. The automation feature on Mailchimp seems to only allow a template (custom or not) to be sent and not first send the opt-in email first. I know there's a way to create a form via Mailchimp but since I already coded everything right with CF7, I want to stick with that.

Anyone know how I can do this?

I feel pretty dumb not knowing this lol

Daffy Duck

Are you wanting to achieve the double opt in method?

As it's my understanding people give their permission to mail them when they sign up to the mailing list.

However if you do want double opt in, and it's been a little while since I've looked at these plugins but is there not a checkbox to tick to send the double opt in the mail chimp extension for CF7?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but I'll try.

I'm setting up a website for my work and using Wordpress to do it. I'm using Mailchimp for a newsletter subscription and using Contact Form 7 with the Mailchimp addon to CF7 to add people that actually sign up for the form to the list on Mailchimp.

What I want to do (and having trouble with) is to send the opt-in email right after the person signs up and joins the subscriber list. The automation feature on Mailchimp seems to only allow a template (custom or not) to be sent and not first send the opt-in email first. I know there's a way to create a form via Mailchimp but since I already coded everything right with CF7, I want to stick with that.

Anyone know how I can do this?

I feel pretty dumb not knowing this lol

Isn't the 'normal' way MC handles the best way? Don't understand the question completly.

I'm primarily focused on front end design. I build static sites for small businesses, events, etc... I'm currently building this site for my client (can only be viewed on 1080+ right now).

We're in the primary design stages so nothing's set regarding layout, but the client does want the ability to add stuff themselves.

For instance:

Add a section between the LATEST EVENTS text and the #VICTORYISCOMING footer.
Add an image to that section like the current poster.

So, the question:

Would I be able to easily WP functionality integrate what I have here? Or would a custom CMS be better suited?

Or is there some kind of JS plug-in I could use that anyone knows of?

I'm lost here as it's where my experience ends. I'll be researching myself but any help is really appreciated.

You could use something like cushycms. Wich is very easy to understand. Personally i hate these kind of cms.

As for Wordpress, you could use HTML5 blank theme http://html5blank.com/. Pour your design in the template file's and use a plugin like AFC to populate the fields.

ferr

Any design patterns for presenting pessimistic locking to end-users? I can think of a dozen ways to do it, but would be nice to see a tried pattern. Google seems only return the database perspective of locking records, and I'm seeing close to nothing on handling this for end-users.

Use case,
- User1 opens Record-A for editing
- Record-A is "locked" to just User1, no other users can edit

Needs to handle:
- User1 goes to lunch for 4 hours, followed by going on vacation for 2 weeks
- User1 is basically writing a book in this record, and is legitimately taking hours to enter data
- User2 tries to open/edit Record-A

Should User1 be presented with messages like "Your record is currently locked, your session will expire if you become idle.." etc. Maybe something a bit more hidden, like an on-blur event or on-change event that determines the user is not idle, and updates a lock expiration timestamp..

Lister

Banned
Any design patterns for presenting pessimistic locking to end-users? I can think of a dozen ways to do it, but would be nice to see a tried pattern. Google seems only return the database perspective of locking records, and I'm seeing close to nothing on handling this for end-users.

Use case,
- User1 opens Record-A for editing
- Record-A is "locked" to just User1, no other users can edit

Needs to handle:
- User1 goes to lunch for 4 hours, followed by going on vacation for 2 weeks
- User1 is basically writing a book in this record, and is legitimately taking hours to enter data
- User2 tries to open/edit Record-A

Should User1 be presented with messages like "Your record is currently locked, your session will expire if you become idle.." etc. Maybe something a bit more hidden, like an on-blur event or on-change event that determines the user is not idle, and updates a lock expiration timestamp..

You are outlining the usual reasons why people tend to go with optimistic locking. Any reason why this isn't an option?

ferr

You are outlining the usual reasons why people tend to go with optimistic locking. Any reason why this isn't an option?

1) Per customer requirements
2) Straight up curiosity at this point of how to best handle this type of thing

I don't think this scenario really leans towards optimistic concurrency any more than it does pessimistic. Both are valid techniques for handling concurrency. Pessimistic is just a bit less flexible for end users, but imo leads to less potential complexity for end-user experience.

I guess I should add that this isn't a small record that's being edited, it's a form with, for example, 3 "pages" of many fields. Many of these fields are free-text fields that would require paragraphs worth of data entry- so it's a form that's going to have a long time-frame for editing. My instinct tells me that optimistic locking would confuse the user in this case.

The experience I don't want my user to have due to optimistic locking,
- User clicks save
- User is presented with "Some of the data is out of date, would you like to get the latest data?"
- User thinks to self, "Hmm.. what data is out of date? Is it going to overwrite fields that I just edited?"

Perhaps a good optimistic locking system would provide a preview of, "here are the changes that will be made to bring your form up to date" with a left/right diff and highlighted changes/etc. But I think that is overly-complicated for my users.

jokkir

Are you wanting to achieve the double opt in method?

As it's my understanding people give their permission to mail them when they sign up to the mailing list.

However if you do want double opt in, and it's been a little while since I've looked at these plugins but is there not a checkbox to tick to send the double opt in the mail chimp extension for CF7?

Isn't the 'normal' way MC handles the best way? Don't understand the question completly.

Thanks for the help, guys! Made me think of a different approach and it just turns out I didn't configure the CG7 Mailchimp plugin properly :|

Lister

Banned
1) Per customer requirements
2) Straight up curiosity at this point of how to best handle this type of thing

I don't think this scenario really leans towards optimistic concurrency any more than it does pessimistic. Both are valid techniques for handling concurrency. Pessimistic is just a bit less flexible for end users, but imo leads to less potential complexity for end-user experience.

I guess I should add that this isn't a small record that's being edited, it's a form with, for example, 3 "pages" of many fields. Many of these fields are free-text fields that would require paragraphs worth of data entry- so it's a form that's going to have a long time-frame for editing. My instinct tells me that optimistic locking would confuse the user in this case.

The experience I don't want my user to have due to optimistic locking,
- User clicks save
- User is presented with "Some of the data is out of date, would you like to get the latest data?"
- User thinks to self, "Hmm.. what data is out of date? Is it going to overwrite fields that I just edited?"

Perhaps a good optimistic locking system would provide a preview of, "here are the changes that will be made to bring your form up to date" with a left/right diff and highlighted changes/etc. But I think that is overly-complicated for my users.

Anyway to break up the record transaction so that you are only editing the part of the record you needd to edit, instead of been given the entire thing?

But yeah, the client wants it sounds like somethign you might not be able to work around :)

ferr

Anyway to break up the record transaction so that you are only editing the part of the record you needd to edit, instead of been given the entire thing?

But yeah, the client wants it sounds like somethign you might not be able to work around :)

Unfortunately not I think. It's pretty cohesive data.

Lister

Banned
If I wanted to add a blog to an existing site, what would be the best option? Wordpress? I basically just want to write a few posts a year and don't care about comments or social media sharing on stuff like that. I'd like to preview some articles on the site's main page, which is about as complicated as it will get. I know HTML and CSS so I don't mind if it requires some coding to set up. I've read that Wordpress might be a bit "heavy" for what I'm after - is that true?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

If it's just a few new posts a year, why not just edit the html directly?

Another simple solution would be to use some straight forward jquery, store the blogs as json files along with your html files, and call them in, build the blog entries ont he fly after Reading the json.

So in your HTML you might have some place where the blogs will go:

<section id="blog-posts"></section>

And in your js:

$(document).ready(function(){
$.get('path/to/your/files/blogs.json', function(blogs) {
function scaffoldBlogs(blogs);
});
});

// I'm being vague here but if you decide to go this route and need help, shout out.
scaffoldBlogs(blogs) {
var blogSection = ...

for (var i = 0, len = blogs.length; i < len; i++) {
var blogPost = $('<div class="blog-post">' + blogs + '</div>');
blogSection.append(blogPost);
}

}

Zakalwe

Banned
If you have a few minutes and you're at a device with a 1080 screen or up, could you take a look at my latest client build and see if it makes sense to you as a potential customer for the site?

It's a kickboxing Gym. I just need to know you can find information on what they offer and how to book it without getting confused.

Currently only shows above 1200px width and only really optimised for 1080 screens. Early dev stage, lots of typos in the client copy, nothing on the contact page yet, more info to go on the fton page, etc...

I just want to know if I have the general layout down ok.

Here's the current build. Thanks in advance!

Lister

Banned
Wait, is this viable? I had read advice that I'd need some sort of CMS or something with PHP... but if I can just use HTML that's pretty easy.

Jeez, I guess I've been overthinking this...

I mean if you are only touching it that infrequently and you don't mind not having a WYSIWYG type editor, and isntead workign with the HTML directly, I don't see why not.

phaonaut

Can anyone answer this.

In javascript do variables that use other variables re-evaluate?

example

let billAmount = 0;
let tipVal = .07;
let myTip = billAmount * tipVal;
let finalCost = billAmount + myTip;

If i update billAmount, it doesnt reflect in finalCost or myTip. They stay at 0.

Somnid

Can anyone answer this.

In javascript do variables that use other variables re-evaluate?

example

let billAmount = 0;
let tipVal = .07;
let myTip = billAmount * tipVal;
let finalCost = billAmount + myTip;

If i update billAmount, it doesnt reflect in finalCost or myTip. They stay at 0.

Nope. Value typed variables (string, number, boolean) are always copies and have no knowledge of how they are set. Reference types (objects) will change internally if you set properties on them because all references to that object will point to the same memory location. That is:
Code:
 let x = {}; 
 let y = x;
 y.foo = 1;
 console.log(x.foo) //1
To be sure nothing can change a value use const (stylistically this should be the default, only use let when necessary), and although a bit heavy you can do the same for objects with Object.freeze(yourObject).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Reminder:

There is a [code][/code] tag. Use it or click the Icon.
code.gif

grmlin

I have a (maybe silly) question regarding the build flow of a react app.

We use git flow and webpack 2 for the build. Right now I use a webpack plugin to create named releases based on the git tags and git describe.

So I create a new release with git flow (in tower) and push the release branch. My problem is, that I can't build the new release in the release branch with webpack, as git flow only creates the necessary tags after I finish it.

Am I supposed to build on master after finishing the release? How do I get the build back into the build branch (if I need to do so)
Am I doing it completely wrong?

Thanks guys!

smuf

Had a client at work request a quote on making their website mobile responsive about a week back, I took a cursory look at the code and layout and told my supervisor it would take about 8 hours at most. The site was built in 2014 and a few things would need to be updated and changed, and then digging through our old lazy ass freelancer's code would take some doing. I thought it was fair. I have cleaned up a few of this clown's sites before, it usually takes less time but this is a 10 page site with a lot of dumb js plugins.

Fast forward to today: Client approves, and I get to work. I start by inspecting the old site to see how the banner was put together and how I can make it scale for mobile. Whelp, I goofed by not inspecting any deeper than the surface level. Turns out our old shitty freelancer decided to set the background image as the full PSD file for the design with main text are hidden, but all of the button, header, and menu text shown. He used fixed height and width a tags to make the menus and buttons--setting the text indent on those tags to -10000px and positioned pretty much everything absolutely to match the PSD background image. The only live text on the site is in the main content section. Needless to say I am rebuilding the site from the ground up, and it's probably gonna take a bit more than quoted; thank god we still have the source psd for the design in our files.

Is this how websites were built in 2013-2014, or am I justified for wanting to strangle this old freelancer? Anyone else had to do something dumb like this?

I've had stuff like this happen a lot. I never charge a fixed fee for working on a legacy website anymore. I give the client a ballpark figure of what I estimate the changes to cost and inform them that the actual cost might be higher depending on how the project was built. Then as soon as I notice that costs might spiral out of control I notify the client beforehand and ask if it's ok by them.

Sometimes I just flat out reject jobs like that too, since it's shit work more often than not.

Zakalwe

Banned
You could use something like cushycms. Wich is very easy to understand. Personally i hate these kind of cms.

As for Wordpress, you could use HTML5 blank theme http://html5blank.com/. Pour your design in the template file's and use a plugin like AFC to populate the fields.

I missed this before, thanks very much!

I tried Cushycms a while back, but I didn't like it. For the current projects I'm using I settled on Sitecake, which allows simple click/drag drop editing of marked divs. As my clients only ever want to update body text and images it will do for now, but I'll look into your suggestion for future.

phaonaut

Nope. Value typed variables (string, number, boolean) are always copies and have no knowledge of how they are set. Reference types (objects) will change internally if you set properties on them because all references to that object will point to the same memory location. That is:
Code:
 let x = {}; 
 let y = x;
 y.foo = 1;
 console.log(x.foo) //1
To be sure nothing can change a value use const (stylistically this should be the default, only use let when necessary), and although a bit heavy you can do the same for objects with Object.freeze(yourObject).

Thank you for explaining this.

That was not how websites were built in 2013 or 2014.... But that's how shitty freelancers built websites then, and frankly now.

Honest truth, before starting work, you might want to reach out to the client and explain that you under-estimated because you couldn't look at the underlying code. Apologize to the client and explain that you'd still love the contract but understand if they have to go elsewhere, and then bump it up.

8 Hours is low for any site-wide project, responsive or not.

I'm back to practicing working with Bootstrap and I read some more tutorials on it. Now the thing that confuses me is dealing with a proper nav. Last time I didn't have that and this time I wanted to try one. Some of the examples are a bit complicated and I still don't have it quite how I want it.

Here is what I came up with.

I want a left logo and links on the right on desktop. But I also want the nav container to be larger than the default size.
One problem I had was that then the links would be aligned to the top. Another problem is if the logo is too large, it passes through the nav bar. I'm not sure if I solved that in an ideal way.
Another problem I'm having, which is probably a simpler fix, is that on the small size, when the nav links collapse into the menu, the links are all cramped on the right when I'd rather have them centered across. If the expanded menu could be a different color, that would be nice to have too.

Cptkrush

That was not how websites were built in 2013 or 2014.... But that's how shitty freelancers built websites then, and frankly now.

Honest truth, before starting work, you might want to reach out to the client and explain that you under-estimated because you couldn't look at the underlying code. Apologize to the client and explain that you'd still love the contract but understand if they have to go elsewhere, and then bump it up.

8 Hours is low for any site-wide project, responsive or not.

So we ended up doing it without bumping the price, and I just made it a game for myself. We couldn't reach out and say "Hey our old freelancer was a piece of shit, and we let him build you a bad site", just wouldn't feel right since it was our company's fault. Since they didn't want to redesign the site, they just wanted the site responsive I was able to get it done in 6 hours 50 minutes, and I was super stoked about it. I coded it clean from scratch to match the old site and commented everything; didn't make a mess for the next guy to worry about. So we ended up making an extra hour of labor because I decided to have fun with it. All in all, not a bad experience, and we will definitely be digging deeper into sites that ask for huge overhauls like this.

Oh, and all the JS plugins he was using were totally unnecessary, and just part of some boilerplate trash he used for every project. I managed it with one external JS file on top of jQuery and Bootstrap's js file. The filesize of this hack's website was something like 120MB, and it's now less than 10 with all the images.

McBryBry

So, I'm a radio graduate. Considering full-time employment has me at 10.79/hour with no visible way to move up, I've decided to try and learn web development myself as programming interests me and the career possibilities are much higher.

I'm currently following this to get my feet wet with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/

After that, I plan on following a few Udemy courses I've grabbed, Eloquent JavaScript, etc...

Reading through this thread, some of this stuff is intimidating as hell lol. I have no idea what anything is except for the languages and what little HTML I've learned.

Holy shit I just had a client have the craziest google rank attack. A third party hacked wordpress site mimicking the content on the clients site, and somehow hijacking the google results for a very high ranking page. (main product listing page).

Futureman

anyone have a webhost recommendation?

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I was doing hosting through Name.com. I guess I had promotional pricing for the first year, so the renewal comes around and it was around $80. Seems expensive for my small, three page website for my photography business. I don't have numbers but I'm guessing under 500 page visits per year. Like it's really just informational.

is there anything decent out there for $50/year or less? I've had a website for 10+ years now and I don't think I've ever paid more than $50.

Starting to learn Nodejs on the request of the one company in Germany who spoke to me over Skype before I move there next month.

Didn't know about this thread! I feel like my web dev weakness is images and getting them positioned and sized responsively. I need to read a long article or tutorial about that at some point.

anyone have a webhost recommendation?

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I was doing hosting through Name.com. I guess I had promotional pricing for the first year, so the renewal comes around and it was around $80. Seems expensive for my small, three page website for my photography business. I don't have numbers but I'm guessing under 500 page visits per year. Like it's really just informational.

is there anything decent out there for $50/year or less? I've had a website for 10+ years now and I don't think I've ever paid more than $50.

What kind of software is your site running on? If it's flat HTML and JavaScript, you could host it on GitHub Pages for free for ever.

if it's running WordPress or a similar CMS, you'll need hosting that supports PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc., which takes the price up from zero to something else. I'm sure there's some free hosts around, but your mileage may vary.

If you want to keep the cost low and it's a straight forward, 3-page site that doesn't get updated often, consider converting it to flat HTML, or using a flat-HTML generator like Jeckyl, which can then be uploaded to Github Pages and you can store it for nothing for ever. If you haven't done anything like that before, ti might take you a weekend to get through it, but then you'll pretty much never pay for hosting again (unless github ends up getting bought by some other company and ends the free stuff, but I doubt that)

Futureman

I actually use Adobe Muse (everyone in here boos me).

I just found GoDaddy has a promotion right now for $1/month web hosting. Think I'll go with that ha. Should be fine for my needs.

Hi guys,

I'm looking into making HMTL5 games for my website. Are there any IDEs/Sites/Plugins/Tutorials/Books or other that you guys would recommend?

Top Bottom