• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

pbsapeer

Banned
To clarify (and make my post make sense) the Now Playing app will allow you to control any music already playing from an iPhone.
The Music app however now won't let you see any music on your phone, so you can't begin playing anything.
The only music you can access directly from the Watch is music already saved to the Watch. Currently you can see everything your phone has but this changes in 4.
So for instance I'm driving along and want to play a song on my iPhone and lift my watch up and say "hey Siri, play xx by xx" it won't play the song unless it's on my watch?

To clarify (and make my post make sense) the Now Playing app will allow you to control any music already playing from an iPhone.
The Music app however now won't let you see any music on your phone, so you can't begin playing anything.
The only music you can access directly from the Watch is music already saved to the Watch. Currently you can see everything your phone has but this changes in 4.

That’s what I was afraid of. I do use my Watch to browse sometimes. Not often, but enough that I would lose utility from this

So for instance I'm driving along and want to play a song on my iPhone and lift my watch up and say "hey Siri, play xx by xx" it won't play the song unless it's on my watch?

I’m hoping this is my workaround and that it still works

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I use the music app on the watch all the time to play music from my phone. I keep my phone in my bag and select albums on my watch. I use Siri occasionally too. But I definitely use the UI to play music. I mean right now there is just a simple toggle at the top of the app that selects between your phone and the watch itself. It seems insane they'd remove that.

Got

Banned
DBEHYJWV0AA8MSQ.jpg

C_-vOxOUIAMtiL0.jpg

Into this digiborg inspired face.

See ya later Mickey

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Not the end of the world. But still annoying as I had a lot of problems getting things transferred to my watch and just planned on not using that feature anymore. My Bluetooth headphones also don't seem to play super nice with my watch and drop out a ton more than with my phone as another reason to just play music on the phone.

asdad123

Any way to check the health of the battery? I received a 1st gen watch that hasn't been used in about 5 months.

I plugged it into the charger, and it would not turn on. I made an appointment to take it to apple, but after about 2 days on the charger it turned on. I guess it was super dead lol.

It was good for the past week or so, but today the battery has been horrendous. I'm averaging about 18% battery dropped per hour.

Any way to check the health of the battery? I received a 1st gen watch that hasn't been used in about 5 months.

I plugged it into the charger, and it would not turn on. I made an appointment to take it to apple, but after about 2 days on the charger it turned on. I guess it was super dead lol.

It was good for the past week or so, but today the battery has been horrendous. I'm averaging about 18% battery dropped per hour.

Not by yourself, but if you call in to Apple over the phone they can run a diagnostic on the watch over the internet

Blackhead

Redarse

I'm guessing/hoping that they are refactoring watchOS so as to reenable the features for the standalone/LTE Series 3. I primarily use the watch music app to launch Beats1 radio but, as far as I can tell, it's no longer possible in watchOS 4. Apple needs to make streaming on the watch a thing (especially considering that there's only a paltry 2GB storage space if anyone actually takes Apple up on their offer of syncing playlists)

holygeesus

Banned
Booo, managed to get my first scratch today. Turns out the glass doesn't like being scraped along brickwork that much. Go figure. Luckily just a small dint at the bottom of the screen and not really visible when it gets smudged during use anyway.

Secondly - how do you currently make the 'now playing' screen stay active when waking the watch by raising it? e.g. when biking, I start Spotify off on my phone and then open the now playing app to control things - however, when the screen goes off, raising my wrist goes back to the clock, whereas I want it to go straight to 'now playing' instead.

There must be an easy way to do this that I am missing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Booo, managed to get my first scratch today. Turns out the glass doesn't like being scraped along brickwork that much. Go figure. Luckily just a small dint at the bottom of the screen and not really visible when it gets smudged during use anyway.

Secondly - how do you currently make the 'now playing' screen stay active when waking the watch by raising it? e.g. when biking, I start Spotify off on my phone and then open the now playing app to control things - however, when the screen goes off, raising my wrist goes back to the clock, whereas I want it to go straight to 'now playing' instead.

There is a setting to keep the last app open for 8 minutes or forever (no maybe one shorter time). Bonus being the Digital Crown controls the volume. Since getting my beatsX I'm less in need as they have volume and skip controls.

Edit- Iphone watch app - settings - general - wake screen. Set raise to wake on, and you can set it to resume previous app rather than show the watch with various timing options

Edit2: just tried it - I thought 'always on' meant it would always open the app which didn't sound good - sometimes I want the watch face. But it's smart enough to only do that if you have an app open.

- Iphone watch app - settings/general/wake screen "on screen show last app" = "always"
- open now playing app.
- whenever you raise your wrist the now playing app will be there
- press Digital Crown to return to normal watch face
- whenever you raise your wrist the watch face is there.

Might switch it to this myself!

holygeesus

Banned
There is a setting to keep the last app open for 8 minutes or forever (no maybe one shorter time). Bonus being the Digital Crown controls the volume. Since getting my beatsX I'm less in need as they have volume and skip controls.

Edit- Iphone watch app - settings - general - wake screen. Set raise to wake on, and you can set it to resume previous app rather than show the watch with various timing options

Perfect. Thanks.

japtor

Other than the workaround/options posted, I think in OS 4 someone mentioned Now Playing comes up automatically if you're playing something. Or maybe it shows up in the Siri face. I forget the details.

Blackhead

Redarse
Welp Tweetstorm from Overcast developer
Marco said:
I wish I’d never shipped offline Watch playback.

It cost me 3+ months of development, and it’ll generate bad App Store reviews forever...

The worst part is that those 3+ months and bad reviews were all to achieve a feature that’s used by just 0.15% of daily users...

the bad reviews and low usage are because the feature ism't well implemented but it doesn't sound like there's going to be any updates. And I don't recall anything in watchOS4 that's going to make it easier for podcast players. When is Apple going to get their shit together?

SuperPac

Welp Tweetstorm from Overcast developer

the bad reviews and low usage are because the feature ism't well implemented but it doesn't sound like there's going to be any updates. And I don't recall anything in watchOS4 that's going to make it easier for podcast players. When is Apple going to get their shit together?

It always sounded like it was somewhat of a hack to get it working, and the watch is barely meant to having anything meaningful stored on it. I appreciate that he tried - heck, that's more than a lot of developers with old Watch OS1-2 apps that'll never see updates would do.

pbsapeer

Banned
A new achievement to get hold of this weekend
IMG_2635.png

Also bought a cheap Nike band in grey/white for my space grey. Surprised at how much I like it I must say!

Dany

Banned
Been having issues with the weather app and complication not showing local weather? I've restarted the watch, factory reset it and unpaired/paired it back to my phone. :/ No luck.

The only thing that might be affecting it is that I'm on the iOS11 public beta for my phone. Maybe thats it?

Vuze

Just finished a 7km walk for the National Park challenge and the PoS Workout app crashes as I wanted to save the workout. Incredible, "Best fitness tracker" my ass.

Time to whip up a quick app that fakes the workout, I feel robbed :v

pbsapeer

Banned
Just finished a 7km walk for the National Park challenge and the PoS Workout app crashes as I wanted to save the workout. Incredible, "Best fitness tracker" my ass.

Time to whip up a quick app that fakes the workout, I feel robbed :v
Similar thing happened to me yesterday. Was running 5 km in a good time and the watch just reset. Was pretty frustrating to say the least. Maybe they'll be some more stability updates soon?

F34R

I just realized it's not showing up as an achievement to get for me. ;(

edit: never mind. Found it. Wonder if doing an elliptical will work.

Vuze

Gruber: No mention in Businessweek’s report, though, of the all-new form factor that I’ve heard is coming for this year’s new watches.

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/08/04/businessweek-lte-apple-watch

e94eo.gif
Ewww, what about them watch bands.
Well, I mean it could be much slimmer and keep the connectors (very unlikely unless Apple secretly crafted a revolutionary battery tech lol) but what else could he mean? Circular? No way, it’s shit for text and will break all apps.

Ewww, what about them watch bands.
Well, I mean it could be much slimmer and keep the connectors (very unlikely unless Apple secretly crafted a revolutionary battery tech lol) but what else could he mean? Circular? No way, it’s shit for text and will break all apps.

There will be likely an actual riot of Apple has a new band design this quickly. I mean they sell bands that are upwards of $550

SuperPac

I use so few Apple Watch apps not made by Apple themselves that they could change it to a circular form factor and I'd be OK with it. The few I do use are well enough supported that they would probably update quickly. Most others just push notifications to my watch and that's it so they'd probably be fine with whatever Apple changes.

I like the current form factor well enough too, so any change is going to be a plus.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Still very happy with my Series 0. Don't use any third party apps anymore. The few I did like are no longer supported. But the notifications and weather and stuff are still invaluable. Worn the watch nearly every single day since I got it and its definitely hard to imagine the internet without it.

Most of the improvements I want are actually AI improvements to Siri and not really related to the watch at all. I really like the idea of a cellular watch but I have to wonder what the data pricing is like... it only makes sense if they have another groundbreaking Cell deal where you can access your phones data bucket from the watch or something.

IDK. TBH, if the watch got a cell antenna I would consider going without an iPhone altogether and getting a Chromebook with LTE and an Apple Watch or something like that. Maybe a surface or iPad.

That quote from Gruber is interesting, because this time last year all the Apple lackeys were talking about the third revision keeping the same formfactor but adding cell. Keeping the thickness for battery concerns was definitely a part of last years rumor cycle.

Still very happy with my Series 0. Don't use any third party apps anymore. The few I did like are no longer supported. But the notifications and weather and stuff are still invaluable. Worn the watch nearly every single day since I got it and its definitely hard to imagine the internet without it.

Most of the improvements I want are actually AI improvements to Siri and not really related to the watch at all. I really like the idea of a cellular watch but I have to wonder what the data pricing is like... it only makes sense if they have another groundbreaking Cell deal where you can access your phones data bucket from the watch or something.

IDK. TBH, if the watch got a cell antenna I would consider going without an iPhone altogether and getting a Chromebook with LTE and an Apple Watch or something like that. Maybe a surface or iPad.

That quote from Gruber is interesting, because this time last year all the Apple lackeys were talking about the third revision keeping the same formfactor but adding cell. Keeping the thickness for battery concerns was definitely a part of last years rumor cycle.

For the record this is how it works with iPads right now with any modern plan from AT&T. Every device on the plans pulls from the same bucket of data, so adding an iPad is just one more thing. Cellular watch should work the same as there are already LTE smartwatches that do exactly that

Completely unrelated but my $1,500 price estimate for a black ceramic Apple Watch with black link bracelet is likely super far off. Assuming it is priced the same as the white ceramic and even has the option to come bundled with the link bracelet that alone would be $1800, and there’s probably a cellular up charge like there is for cellular iPads.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh neat! I didnt know that was a thing yet.
Makes you wonder where the LTE macbook is..
I dont think Verizon has a similar option. But that is encouraging.

Oh neat! I didnt know that was a thing yet.
Makes you wonder where the LTE macbook is..
I dont think Verizon has a similar option. But that is encouraging.

I don’t believe cellular MacBooks are a thing because when Apple uses Qualcomm modems (which before the last year when Intel made a big push they were the only ones) Qualcomm takes a royalty based on the final sale price of the entire thing, not a flat fee for the part. So I would imagine Apple didn’t want to put a cellular antenna in a $2,500 MacBook and have to pay a royalty based on that amount

That’s part of what they’re fighting over right now

All the current Verizon plans do work like that, by the way. The only of the big four that still splits data up on a per-line basis is T-Mobile

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Weird. I guess I really am out of the loop. Well that's great news!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Would a cellular watch have its own number? "Here's my home, cell, and... watch"?
Ha, interesting question... FaceTime only? :p
Yeah, I do wonder about that. I've always expected the lamest outcome.. even though the watch has a cell antenna it's not truly standalone. Still requiring syncing with a phone etc.. at which point I guess they could just route all the calls through software?

Top Bottom