• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

HardRojo

We don't know any more than we did yesterday but suddenly it's all welcome to the terrordome up in here lol. you guys.
We're talking about the information we have at hand, which is now in English and clearly states that even by beating the game normally, you won't unlock the new difficulty unless you use an amiibo. Maybe avoid the thread if you don't like people rightfully criticizing this move by Nintendo? Maybe if there's more uproar, NoA or another branch will actually come out and clarify wtf is going on.

We're talking about the information we have at hand, which is now in English and clearly states that even by beating the game normally, you won't unlock the new difficulty unless you use an amiibo. Maybe avoid the thread if you don't like people rightfully criticizing this move by Nintendo? Maybe if there's more uproar, NoA or another branch will actually come out and clarify wtf is going on.

Anyone complaining about what is basically DLC that comes with an awesome, free figure (or an awesome figure that comes with free DLC) is really doing a disservice to themselves. Amiibo are easily worth the money and the 2 new Metroid figures look to be some of the best yet.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well, for those who want an alternative to buying figures. You have at least two options.

One is this: Amiibo Action Replay PowerSaves

The other is this:
1mi1be754qqy.jpg

Custom made amiibo cards. You can find them on eBay, etsy and other sites. They're cheaper but eventually take more money the more you buy.

EDIT:
This stuff right here is an example of the second option!

Is this not piracy/theft?

Phoenixus

Anyone complaining about what is basically DLC that comes with an awesome, free figure (or an awesome figure that comes with free DLC) is really doing a disservice to themselves. Amiibo are easily worth the money and the 2 new Metroid figures look to be some of the best yet.

Is it really like Dlc when it's already on the cartridge you've just purchased? Lots of people disagree, and rightfully so.

Is this not piracy/theft?
It's an option mate. I don't use it and I don't recommend it, but it's there for people to use.

I collect the amiibos and that's all I need. But what about those who don't have it? It's better to wait til the become available yes but at this point in the thread some just want to access their content.

HardRojo

If it's cosmetic DLC I don't mind, but this is a new difficulty on launch day we're talking about, and so far there are no signs of it being obtainable any other way. Heck, requiring the amiibo after having already beaten the game is pretty stupid in itself.

Petrae

...which might be fine if not for the shortages of amiibo that prevent people who want them from buying them. Locking content behind these toys adds even more value for scalpels/resellers to hold over the heads of people who genuinely want them.

"You want the rest of the stuff in Samus Returns? Buy this figure for just $50 and you can!"

At least sell unlock keys for the stuff so that those who can't buy or don't otherwise want the toys can still experience the other stuff as part of the game they bought.

...which might be fine if not for the shortages of amiibo that prevent people who want them from buying them. [...]

It's actually pretty sad that we would reach this kind of conclusion. It's bad enough that these kind of things became (on disc) DLC over the last gen. Yet Nintendo goes one step further than everyone else with this fuckery so that we would now be satisfied with the already awful standard alternative of this practice.

VDenter

Banned
Nintendo is really scummy here. But i actually kind of feel like the people who supported Amiibos in the first place have almost nobody to blame but themselves at this point.It was pretty much obvious that Nintendo was going to be doing this kind of stuff more and more. It is basically like buying a few Microtransactions and then later wondering why is everybody locking content behind Microtransactions.

Oidisco

Except these figures may be hard to find. Also since Prime, almost every Metroid game has a hard mode that you can unlock, here you have to pay for it.

I actually fucking hate Amiibo so much

TheMoon

Bro we have some more confirmation from Nintendo UK. It's okay for some to feel worried. Especially those who don't have the amiibo.

But we don't really have confirmation. We just have confirmation that this what the amiibo figures do here. We still don't have any confirmation if that's the only way to access this content. The translations yesterday didn't really say anything different than what the official UK website says today.

The only way we'll know is some woke journo going up to the highest rank Nintendo person at whatever event is up next and straight up asking them what's what.

kpaadet

We don't know any more than we did yesterday but suddenly it's all welcome to the terrordome up in here lol. you guys.
Why is it you're still trying to spin this when even Nintendo have clearly stated how to unlock Fusion mode? But no it's just us being crazy, nothingtoseehere.gif guys.

The BOTW amiibo was pushing it but this crossed the line. I have to buy a shitty amiibo to play the game at hard mode? Seriously???

And it's not even the Samus one it had to be the ugly metroid one ffs.

But we don't really have confirmation. We just have confirmation that this what the amiibo figures do here. We still don't have any confirmation if that's the only way to access this content. The translations yesterday didn't really say anything different than what the official UK website says today.

The only way we'll know is some woke journo going up to the highest rank Nintendo person at whatever event is up next and straight up asking them what's what.
Okay. Then let's wait. I'm all for not keeping locked content behind the amiibos. But if you're right then you're right. Let's wait for Nintendo NA.

Might be best not to mock others for freaking out though.

Ridley327

Why is it you're still trying to spin this when even Nintendo have clearly stated how to unlock Fusion mode? But no it's just us being crazy, nothingtoseehere.gif guys.
To be fair, I don't think that Amiibo website pages are going to be the kind to mention if you can get that content without them.

kpaadet

To be fair, I don't think that Amiibo website pages are going to be the kind to mention if you can get that content without them.
I guess if we're lucky we might be able to unlock it by completing the game 100% under an hour without dying and never pressing the jump button, I'm so glad Nintendo never asks for more money.

Rncewind

So instead making a fuss about it, which only can happen because nintendo comunucation is garbage, to at least show how this is a garbage practice in the case its happens, we should tone down why exactly? Because we could hurt nintendos feelings? is that what are you going on about

how much out of your way can you go to defend a company

Sacul64GC

Banned
Well, for those who want an alternative to buying figures. You have at least two options.

One is this: Amiibo Action Replay PowerSaves

The other is this:
1mi1be754qqy.jpg

Custom made amiibo cards. You can find them on eBay, etsy and other sites. They're cheaper but eventually take more money the more you buy.

EDIT:
This stuff right here is an example of the second option!

Oh I know about the power save but those cards are nice! That's the only thing I regret about ripping open the boxes is the nice back cards get wrecked.

The power save would not be illegal it self as all it is is a device you can load nfc codes to. Downloading the nfc codes is where it could be illegal but even that would be murky as I remember a amiibo that worked in a German train station so the nfc codes themselves are not wholely unique. My logic has always been if you have no option available to obtain what you want (not wanting or having the money is not a reason) from the company that owns it then it's free game to your own judgement.

So instead making a fuss about it, which only can happen because nintendo comunucation is garbage, to at least show how this is a garbage practice in the case its happens, we should tone down why exactly? Because we could hurt nintendos feelings?

This is the important question the "please hold back"-crowd needs to answer. Nintendo isn't your friend who's on an unfair trial. They are a company that expects our money, so it can't in any case hurt to point out bs. Maybe this amiibo deal will be the lesser evil after all, but even then, who would have been hurt by the fuss? No one.

Ridley327

I guess if we're lucky we might be able to unlock it by completing the game 100% under an hour without dying and never pressing the jump button, I'm so glad Nintendo never asks for more money.
It's possible that they would have some steep requirements, and it wouldn't even be a first for a Metroid remake at that, but I can't think of a single Metroid game that gave you something for simply beating the game. Even the Prime games asked for 100% scans to unlock every art gallery, and those games have missable scans in spades.

Any store still have these up for pre-order? Now I gotta buy em before they sell out now that a function has been revealed for them. I just want the figures.

Shiggy

See what the new Samus Aran and Metroid amiibo can do in Metroid: Samus Returns!

Metroid: Samus Returns, a masterful reimagining of the 1992 Game Boy adventure Metroid II: Return of Samus, arrives on Nintendo 3DS family systems on September 15th. With the release date drawing near, we’ve managed to track down the new Samus Aran and Metroid amiibo (sold separately), which will both launch alongside the game, to find out what they can do!

Samus Aran amiibo

By tapping the Samus Aran amiibo, you can unlock an Aeion Reserve Tank, which automatically restores a certain amount of Aeion energy should you run out. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock Metroid II Art in the Gallery.

Metroid amiibo

With the squidgy Metroid amiibo, you can tap it to reveal the location of any Metroid nearby on your map. After completing the game, you can use this amiibo to unlock Fusion mode, an all-new difficulty level that comes complete with Samus’ Fusion Suit from Metroid Fusion.

Samus amiibo

You can tap the Samus amiibo to unlock a Missile Reserve Tank, which replenishes your missile supply should you run out. You can also use this amiibo to unlock exclusive Concept Art from Metroid: Samus Returns in the Gallery upon completing the game.

Zero Suit Samus amiibo

If you tap the Zero Suit Samus amiibo, you can unlock an Energy Reserve Tank, which restores a certain amount of energy should you run out. After completing the game, you can use this amiibo to unlock Music in the Gallery, which lets you listen to BGMs from Metroid: Samus Returns.

Want to find out more about Metroid: Samus Returns? Visit our official Metroid: Samus Returns gamepage to find out more about this classic Metroid adventure, rebuilt from the ground up.

You can also head to our amiibo website to see what surprises you can discover with amiibo!

Metroid: Samus Returns will be released on September 15th for Nintendo 3DS family systems. On the same day, the Metroid: Samus Returns Legacy Edition, Samus Aran and Metroid amiibo will also be released. The Zero Suit Samus and Samus amiibo from the Super Smash Bros. Collection are out now.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...can-do-in-Metroid-Samus-Returns--1246282.html

Kyuur

Previously unlockable bonus content put behind paywall, news at 11. Might have been shocking 10 years ago. Small price to pay for a new Metroid anyways.

Rncewind

This is the important question the "please hold back"-crowd needs to answer. Nintendo isn't your friend who's on an unfair trial. They are a company that expects our money, so it can't in any case hurt to point out bs. Maybe this amiibo deal will be the lesser evil after all, but even then, who would have been hurt by the fuss? No one.

I guess there is alot of anthropomorphism going on here when it comes to this things.

Petrae

The Nintendo Defense Force is the same as any entertainment defense force. People feel compelled to blindly defend their favorite companies/teams/musicians/actors because reasons. It's sad, really, that these people are so blinded by loyalty and fandom... but it's the same in sports, music, and other entertainment.

Criticism is the equivalent of the Bat-Signal for these people.

RRockman

Banned
Lol, I totally forgot about this thread. It sucks that it was confirmed though. I have no intentions of tracking down either earlier amiibos anyway.

My Pitchfork is ready, when do we march?

Instro

Previously unlockable bonus content put behind paywall, news at 11. Might have been shocking 10 years ago. Small price to pay for a new Metroid anyways.

Why would you handwave this? It's worse than what most companies in this industry are currently doing.

Amiibo unlocking things like hard mode is extremely concerning to me. Hard mode shouldn't even be behind a paywall, but at the very least they should optionally offer these functionalities as DLC. And they really need to do that with ALL Amiibo going forward, because this is getting out of hand.

If you want to purchase the Amiibo you still get the benefit of a single purchase (ideally) unlocking several different DLC's across a number of games, so offering the functionality as DLC just as an option shouldn't hurt Amiibo sales too much.

TheMoon

What am I spinning. You're seeing things that aren't there.

So instead making a fuss about it, which only can happen because nintendo comunucation is garbage, to at least show how this is a garbage practice in the case its happens, we should tone down why exactly? Because we could hurt nintendos feelings? is that what are you going on about

You too. All I'm doing is telling you to maybe not lose your shit because we just don't god damn know (yet).

y it so hard

Please be aware how you guys are the one's going on about defense forcing and whatnot. I'm not sitting here going all "leave Britney alone!"

Rncewind

What am I spinning. You're seeing things that aren't there.

You too. All I'm doing is telling you to maybe not lose your shit because we just don't god damn know (yet).

y it so hard

You too? what? Also nobody is losing their shit because they are critzing nintendo lol. Nice response i guess dodging even the question

anyways i am out, i had my fill of nintendo pr spoke person

HardRojo

At this point that's what it feels like lol. Will anybody please think of poor Nintendo's feelings? Please stop it!

This is on them for not communicating efficiently. Capcom gets a lot of shit (for good reason) due to their poor communication regarding SFV, why shouldn't Nintendo?

Kyuur

Why would you handwave this? It's worse than what most companies in this industry are currently doing.

The content is virtually inconsequential to the main game experience. Being limited in quantity due to physical nature seems no different than hundreds of other game's DLC pre-order only incentives. It screams "industry standard" and the revenue they'll pull was almost certainly part of the initial strategy that would convinced the business to produce this game in the first place. I see no reason not to hand wave it.

TheMoon

If you're ignoring my answer then I really can't help you.

Gonna make sure to mention you in my report to the Nintendo overlords when they hand me my next swag bag for top-tier schilling and making sure their feels aren't going ouchy.

Calm down guys and let's focus on the topic at hand instead of attacking each other.

It does no good and it only makes people sound ridiculous.

RRockman

Banned
If you're ignoring my answer then I really can't help you.

Gonna make sure to mention you in my report to the Nintendo overlords when they hand me my next swag bag for top-tier schilling and making sure their feels aren't going ouchy.

Can you put in a word for me too? Maybe they can convert me from being a sega kid to a Nintendo master race specimen.

Nah I'm teasing, that guy was annoying anyway. You did have a point but it was just the Nintendo shill stick over and over again.

THIS:

Maybe we can ask Press sneak fuck to go ask Noobtendo

edit: I asked

was the best course of action.

I'm Sega for life and none of you can change my mind otherwise

Top Bottom