• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube pet peeves

djp6

Not being able to fully block channels so they don't pop up in your search results, or anywhere else for that matter.
This right here, iamsuperwoman or some channel like that is in subscription list and I Dont even follow it

Woo-Fu

Banned
The only thing that really bothers me about youtube are the people with purposely goofy voices. Now maybe I'm just watching content intended for 8-year olds, but that can't be all of it?

also all the SMACK THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON shit works too ._.

Do we have quantitative studies showing that?
Is there a meaningful difference between "subscribers" of equal popularity (in terms of, say, views or something), where one says that and one does not?

ifyoulikemyvideopleasegiveitathumbsupifnotthenthumbsdownalsofollowmeontwitterlinkisinthedescriptiondontforgettowatchmylastvideotooifyouhaventalreadycheckoutmytwitchaccount

Evilisk

Trying to find videos without commentary drowning out the ingame sounds.

Then type in "<game title> longplay/walkthrough/no commentary" (one of those three options). Unless it's some really new, or really, really obscure game (like maybe some Japan only title that's also obscure in Japan), you'll find something

Careless spoilers in the thumbnail and title.

Game X - The Reckoner of Stuff: Episode 31 - Bongo Bettays Party + Daves Death Scene [Commentary]

Thumbnail of some boss reveal that is YOUR BROTHER.

Thanks, prick.

This is legit annoying. It even happens without clicking on the video, via my recommendations page

Timu

Then type in "<game title> longplay/walkthrough/no commentary" (one of those three options). Unless it's some really new, or really, really obscure game (like maybe some Japan only title that's also obscure in Japan), you'll find something
Yep, there's plenty of no commentary gameplay vids out there!

Nazo

Theory video on interesting gaming topic, but said theory is is completely bat shit insane with little to no evidence supporting it.

Plum

"We believe in fair use and everything we do falls under it!"

"Now let me copy and paste music, imagery and content without even putting a source."

Chjemah

Neo Member
People who love the sound of their own voice way too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSjYNaWdwg

This guy is a great example of everything I hate about YouTubers. The over-the-top voice, the unfunny jokes, the shitty thumbnails, he's got it all. I don't understand how he has over a million subs. Maybe he's really good at CSGO? I don't know but everything about his YouTube persona is off-putting to me.

I've noticed a lot of reviews on YouTube tend to simply list everything the game features. "In this mode you do this, so you can use this currency to buy this. In THIS mode you..." and so on.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I kinda want my reviewers to say things like "I liked this because," or "I thought this was an effective choice because..."

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A software tutorial that begins with downloading the software.

Also people explaining what they're going to talk about before they talk about it.

sotojuan

My main pet peeve are YTers that stop being themselves once they get a big audience and a bigger budget. Suddenly they try to be funny, have long skits, guests, props, writers, etc. The actual content quality always suffers as a result of this but they make money so they don't care.

That motherfucking annoying as fuck AIR HORN sound. Some asshats play that sound so many times on their video. I noticed these when my daughter shows me things that some youtubers post. I can't help but raise an eyebrow and go WTF.

Leunam

Blatantly misleading thumbnails.

Some boxing channel (that I'm trying to eliminate from my recommendations) had a thumbnail of Vasyl Lomachenko doing his matador pose from a recent fight against a clearly photoshopped Floyd Mayweather. They've never come close to fighting. The ropes in the ring didn't even line up.

Another video from a different channel shows Urien and Ken in Street Fighter V. Ken is in a juggle state with an Aegis Reflector in front, behind, below, and above him. It was like he was trapped in a box, which is impossible, because the Reflector is always vertical, not laying down the way the thumbnail showed.

Clickbait titles are one thing but clickbait thumbnails? Desperate.

You guys pretty much covered it.

Pretty much all these vids have the same intro and ending
"Hey guys..."
"...Don't forget to like and subscribe"

Talking very loud over gameplay videos. I swear, 90% of the commentary is very awkward and cringe-inducing, like not natural at all. Is everyone a nervous wreck when recording? Why upload on Youtube then?

And in the same vein, why is no one funny or entertaining? If you upload a video, I would expect to see some entertainment value. If I were an uploader, I would be scared to death of rewatching my video and seeing how unfunny or awkward I was. There are exceptions, but the majority of videos I see are like this. Goes for video gaming, or any tutorial video.

LNBL

"WHAT UP PIMPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

EGHH *coughs violently*

Also the, "lets try and hit 100000283729102838 likes in this video, omg that would be so anazing"

Top Bottom