• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haven't overclocked the 3570k (or the 6770), and I have 16gb ddr3 so that shouldn't be an issue for a long while lol. CPU is 3.4 with 3.8 'turbo' so I was hoping it'd be enough without needing to overclock, but I guess there isn't any real reason not to. I know it won't be very much but I need to see how far I can safely push it with stock cooling.
If you keep the voltage at 1.2 you should be able to get 4.0-4.2 out of the stock cooler safely enough.

gm8e01-40dflq2.png

PLEASE Retro, please be working on Metroid Prime 4 (or Metroid period) for the Wii U. I can't handle it anymore. ;_;

Pro

Wii/GCN games on Steam WITH Overlay

First thing you have to do is add the Dolphin emulator to the Steam library as a Non-Steam game.

Next you go into the properties of the emulator through Steam. Just right click it in the Steam menu then click on "Properties"

Where it says Target change it to something similar to this:

"E:\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /e "F:\Gamecube\Double Dash.iso" /b

The first part is the location of the application for your emulator. The /e lets the emulator know to run this .iso when it starts. The second file location is the .iso you want the emulator to run and the /b closes the emulator when you exit the game.

After doing all that the game should work perfectly with Steam!

To do multiple Wii games on Steam simply make a copy of the application (not a shortcut) and repeat the process with a separate .iso

PM me if you have any questions, I am glad to help anyone out.

Have a screenshot!

There is also an alternate method found in this thread on page 7 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477211&page=7

Also lots of nice Custom Steam Icons to include Dolphin Games. It keeps growing day by day.

Pro

That's how I did it originally, but that way does not allow the overlay to work. What I did was very similar to how it would be done with the PS2 emulator. I like that the overlay shows up :p

Damn, wasn't even aware of the Steam Overlay until now. Hope I'm not OCD enough to redo all of my Steam shortcuts so that the Overlay works now.

catabarez

Damn, wasn't even aware of the Steam Overlay until now. Hope I'm not OCD enough to redo all of my Steam shortcuts so that the Overlay works now.

It shouldn't be too hard to edit it. Just edit the bat file (if you have it still) and copy the part that looks like what I posted.

Chris R

Trying to get Xenoblade to look as good as it can, but somehow I ended up making it run way too fast.

Going to get the HD texture pack, setup xbox 360 icons, and then see if I can't fix the damn speed issue today... But if anyone wants to point out the obvious error I commited before I get to trying to fix the speed issue let me know :D

Chris R

Set the frame limit to auto under config/general.

That did the trick. Don't know what took it off because it was fine before. The HD textures I selected make the game really look great on my plasma... just wish the game ID converter was easier to use (why isn't it recursive :< should look in all the subfolders too... hell I might just write a program that does the same thing but is recursive sometime later this week so if/when I ever need to convert IDs again it doesn't take me 30 mins).

Game looks great and runs terrific on my rig too, only doing a 2x render to 1080p with 4xSSAA/8xAF. Now to actually play the game!

Can someone please post a link to a bluetooth I can use from amazon? Sorry, I'm a noob at this and am looking to finally jump on board this Dolphin stuff.

I just played Galaxy 1 on my new computer yesterday and it was amazing. It still looks a little old in some aspects (mostly in textures), but Dolphin can clean up the IQ so much if you have the specs for it. It honestly looks better than most 3D games on the 360/PS3.

JohngPR

Does anyone know if you can change the button prompts in The Last Story to 360 button prompts like you can with Xenoblade Chronicles?

Also, what's the best build and configuration for the US version of The Last Story? Thanks in advance! :)

teiresias

So I seem to have lost all of my downloaded Dolphin builds, so I need to download one to play Xenoblade (which I didn't get to before my Windows install got borked). What build are people recommending nowadays? One of the ICC optimized builds, or one of the regular ones? I remember getting weird pauses in Xenoblade using an ICC build before, but that may have been an older version inadvertently.

Seik

Banned
Heh, its been more than 1 year since 3.0 came out and it came out almost exactly 1 year after 2.0 .

...I wonder when we'll get 4.0.

Sullichin

I'm having trouble getting stable framerates in Metroid Prime. Even if I'm using default resolution and no enhancements, it drops below 60 for a few seconds very often. At 1080p it's pretty much the same deal. It's mostly playable (and looks awesome at this resolution) but the drops are really frequent and noticeable.

Also, I switched to using DSP LLE for sound since I hear that fixes many of the sound problems, but I still get messed up sound effects and missing music.

i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz
Radeon 7870

Any suggestions (outside of overclocking)? Remember the framerate problems still happen when I lower my resolution to default. I tried a bunch of different combinations and options. I feel like I should be getting better performance from what I've read...

MCD

I'm having trouble getting stable framerates in Metroid Prime. Even if I'm using default resolution and no enhancements, it drops below 60 for a few seconds very often. At 1080p it's pretty much the same deal. It's mostly playable (and looks awesome at this resolution) but the drops are really frequent and noticeable.

Also, I switched to using DSP LLE for sound since I hear that fixes many of the sound problems, but I still get messed up sound effects and missing music.

i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz
Radeon 7870

Any suggestions (outside of overclocking)? Remember the framerate problems still happen when I lower my resolution to default. I tried a bunch of different combinations and options. I feel like I should be getting better performance from what I've read...

Overclocking is the answer to everything Dolphin related.

xJavonta

Banned
I have Dolphin installed on my PC. Now how do I get my Wii games to play on it?

Rip them from your Wii or a friends homebrew'd Wii. The only legal method and it's incredibly easy.

Do all wireless sensor bars take 4 AAs? I picked one up with Toys R Us credit, but 4 AAs is ridiculous for some freaking infrared lights.

Or is there a tutorial on how to rig a standard sensor bar up via USB? Because I may have one of those lying around somewhere.

i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz
Radeon 7870

Haven't used an AMD card for a while so not sure if its the same but I turn off any AA in Dolphin as it's all done on the cpu and just force it through my video card. It looks the same if not better and you get a decent performance boost. You could render it at a lower resolution(720) and just force a high AA (I usually force 16-32x) through your video card.

Sullichin

Overclocking is so idiot-proof these days anybody can do it. Just keep and eye on your temps and it'll be good.

Overclocking is the answer to everything Dolphin related.

Haven't used an AMD card for a while so not sure if its the same but I turn off any AA in Dolphin as it's all done on the cpu and just force it through my video card. It looks the same if not better and you get a decent performance boost. You could render it at a lower resolution(720) and just force a high AA (I usually force 16-32x) through your video card.

Ok then. Thanks. Figured it out. Now In turbo mode I get ~4.6GHz. That + using the suggestion of not using dolphin's AA & forcing AA with catalyst panel (still using 3x native resolution in dolphin) and the frame drops are MUCH less frequent. Still get stutters when doors open but I hear that's something you just have to deal with when emulating this game. The worst part is that sound cuts out and boss music doesn't work, but the sound FX are in sync now at least so it's totally playable. Oh, and I still get some stuttering where the fps counter still says 60 at the top.

Quite playable indeed with the PS3 controller. I *almost* forgot how much I love this. game. It truly looks amazing using 1920x1584 internal res and forced AA. I don't know much about AA, but I have all my catalyst control sliders on max. 8XEQ, morphological filtering on, Super Sample AA on (I can switch this to multi sample AA or adaptive Multi sample AA). Please feel free to enlighten me if there's a better third party app for applying AA settings and the like other than what I'm using. Anyway my GPU seems to barely give a fuck about any of that, with the highest temp I saw being 47c for my GPU. My CPU is running a bit hotter though, a little over 60c but that doesn't seem too bad. I do have an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) so maybe I'm actually putting that thing to use. I'll continue to monitor my temps and such. It's a shame the widescreen hack doesn't work too well for this game - it appears to dynamically load the world right outside of your 4:3 viewport. But having pillarboxes on a widescreen monitor kind of adds to the feeling that you're in a helmet :p

Is there any way to get Dolphin to display full-screen on a second monitor / TV without actually setting that display as primary in the display preferences?

Voidguts

Is there any way to get Dolphin to display full-screen on a second monitor / TV without actually setting that display as primary in the display preferences?

I'm able to just move the window to my TV and alt+enter to fullscreen it, even though my monitor is my primary. if you're using a 360 controller or something you'll probably want to enable "Background Input" in the controller config in case you click off the window.

My CPU is running a bit hotter though, a little over 60c but that doesn't seem too bad. I do have an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) so maybe I'm actually putting that thing to use. I'll continue to monitor my temps and such.

60c is fine, you could probably push it a little further if you wanted to. As long as you are under 75ish you'll be fine. Run Prime 95 for an hour to make sure your temps don't get too high under 100% load.

I'm able to just move the window to my TV and alt+enter to fullscreen it, even though my monitor is my primary. if you're using a 360 controller or something you'll probably want to enable "Background Input" in the controller config in case you click off the window.

It doesn't let me do this for some reason, alt-enter sends it back to the monitor.

Just saw this and I thought you guys might want to see it.

They have finally perfected the emulated motion plus on xbox controllers for Skyward Sword. Here's a video that shows it can work just fine. For those who aren't too keen on motion, or just want a different experience, this is for you. Everything you need is listed in the video description.

I can't wait to try it out even though I loved the motion controls!

Lime

I'm struggling a bit with the controls (Mouse + Keyboard), my FF4 configuration doesn't seem to work well for the camera, weird...

Someone who finished it can please post his/her configuration, please? :eek:

Use Camera lock to avoid the crappy wiimote camera controls.

If you want to remove that intrusive minimap, there's a Gecko code for it.

Sullichin

I've got Metroid Prime mapped perfectly to my PS3 controller, I love the controls in that game.

Wouldn't the lock on be very distracting? Or can you turn that off/'blind-fire' everything? I don't remember.

I believe Metroid Prime trilogy lets you play MP1 and 2 with the MP3 controls, and that would map fine to KB/M. I much prefer classic MP controls though, from my experience with MP3.

scitek, are you using the widescreen hack in Metroid Prime? When I do it, I see things load in on either side and it's too distracting to keep on.

Also have Super Mario Galaxy 2 mapped to my ps3 controller, works great. I have the right analog stick emulate the cursor, which gives the very minor annoyance of having the star icon in the center of the screen whenever the stick is neutral. Rock solid 60fps/perfect sound at 3x native resolution... WOW.

Top Bottom