• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo: European Discussion

Shiggy

clubnintendo0u1c.png

lfi4hnN.jpg

mariotoad1_thumb.png

dani_dc

Portugal is also part of Club Nintendo.
(Just got around recently changing my spanish account to portugal, so I'll finally be looking at those items)

I'm close to having enough for either the Mario group statue or the SNES classic controller but I really wish there was less Mario stuff and more of the other Nintendo franchises. I'm still holding out for something Donkey Kong Country related.

Shiggy

New privacy policy. Either accept it or have your account deleted :/

At Nintendo we respect the privacy rights of our online visitors and we recognise the importance of protecting your personal details. To allow us to implement additional features on our website, to improve our products and to adapt them to our users' needs and preferences, we need your permission to gather information about your online activities on our website and with Nintendo products.

Please review our new Privacy Policy by logging into your Club Nintendo account. Once you have read the information displayed upon logging in, please use the appropriate buttons to either ACCEPT or DECLINE this new Privacy Policy.

Please note that if we haven't received your answer by 31st May, 2011, or if you choose to DECLINE our new Privacy Policy, you will from that day onwards no longer be able to use your Stars in the Stars Catalogue, as we will be forced to deactivate your Club Nintendo membership. No matter what you decide, you can still use your Stars and enjoy all the other benefits of Club Nintendo membership until 31st May, 2011.

We look forward to seeing you again on our website soon, and hope you will enjoy the new generation in videogaming together with us!

bitoriginal

Good thread. Just got started with my account after getting a 3DS and managed to register my girlfriends Wii as well as she had never used the codes. Got about 4000 stars now and I'm waiting for some better stuff to come available, although the Kirby frisbee looks quite interesting...

I got my Mum the stainless steel Animal Crossing watch last year, it's pretty good although the face picture is not straight, I didn't want to return it in case they had no more in stock. I guess I could take it to a watch repair shop and get them to move the picture around slightly, it's probably only paper after all.

Can't find any pics of the watch online but it is decent, it cost 4000 points.

EDIT: Just used my remaining points to buy these hanafuda cards:

(pics stolen from someone else)

hni_0011.jpg

hni_0016.jpg

I'm tempted to keep these sealed for the future :D

Shiggy said:
New privacy policy. Either accept it or have your account deleted :/

That might actually be an indication that they want to mine their own data and transfer it to a new cohesive online system.. perhaps with a unified points system too (game coins maybe?)

Ugh!
Been registering games basically since the 'star points' began back in the Gamecube era and had years and years and years of being offered no items whatsoever except for wallpapers and ringtones so never spent anything.

When the Wii came and you could finally use the stars for something (in this case, trading them for Wii Points) I put all of the stars I had into it.
Over 30,000 of them!
Then a few weeks later they started rolling out proper items, including the Zelda statue except now, I couldn't afford anything :(

So I started collecting again, hoping to get the Game & Watch DS game. When I was about 200 short, they stopped offering it :(
Ugh!

Got about 10,000 now though and hoping for something decent in the future.....

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Ugh!
Been registering games basically since the 'star points' began back in the Gamecube era and had years and years and years of being offered no items whatsoever except for wallpapers and ringtones so never spent anything.

When the Wii came and you could finally use the stars for something (in this case, trading them for Wii Points) I put all of the stars I had into it.
Over 30,000 of them!
Then a few weeks later they started rolling out proper items, including the Zelda statue except now, I couldn't afford anything :(

So I started collecting again, hoping to get the Game & Watch DS game. When I was about 200 short, they stopped offering it :(
Ugh!

Got about 10,000 now though and hoping for something decent in the future.....

Yeah, I wasted a lot of Star points on Wii Points. Such a terrible exchange rate. And this expiring star points thing is maddening too. If you really want some item it's probably a better idea to buy it on eBay or something. That's how I got the 2 Game & Watch games.

Not European but just wanted to say these items are alot better than America's items. Wow.

I would pay quite abit of money (whenever I got extra which is not now) for that snes controller, Mario Galaxy Soundtrack, Gold Wii Wheel, heck even the notebooks look cool. You even get Wii Points!

I got over 1300 coins in my US account and I already bought quite abit of stuff I wanted but I really don't think I want to spend them since something like the snes controller could be right around the corner. (Well except I would like Game and Watch ball. But I'm holding out a few more weeks until the next Club update because thats alot of coins)

wrowa

Tempy said:
Yeah, I wasted a lot of Star points on Wii Points. Such a terrible exchange rate.
Then don't exchange your Stars for Nintendo Points. Seriously. Complaining about everything is the reason we never get something nice!

The shop is pretty damn decent since a while. Compared to the GameCube era it's actually quite brilliant; there is always more than enough physical merch in store and fucking wallpapers or ringtones aren't the only thing you can buy from your hard earned stars. That they are expiring now is stupid, but at least they are now included in 3rd party games too.

I don't think the store could be much better than it is now.

Plasma

Banned
I'm waiting for the eshop to go up before I spend my points, got around 2000 saved up after picking up a 3DS and some games.

I only recently started doing this (with the purchase of my 3DS). Thanks for reminding me that I had 1500 points sleeping in my Wii box :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
wrowa said:
Then don't exchange your Stars for Nintendo Points. Seriously. Complaining about everything is the reason we never get something nice!

This was when there wasn't anything good and I had points to burn.

In case anyone is interested the Animal Crossing CD is back up at 2000 stars, it could really use a track listing.
Also added is a super mario bros hand towel for 1000 points which actually looks better than it sounds due to it being covered with enemies.....but no Shyguy.

We've had this thread for over a month and I didn't know. Great I found it as its decision time for me. 5500 stars. 550 to expire this month. Getting any cheap items (e.g. Mario towel) might lead to mere firefighting as I've been doing the register on month of expiration thing for a while*. That is, I'd have to do the same a few months later.

If I throw everytihng I still can not get the Zelda statue (I didn't want it when I could afford it in 2006...) but if my throw in all my codes which are expires in **/**/2011 I get to the other magic number; 7000 stars. I've narrowed it down to these two: The US platinum prize** (Mario and co statue) or the Japanese Platinum prize (SNES controller). Which one and why? The former seems a bit small and the latter juding by how used my CC and CC Pro are would be another dust gathering controller. Of course the real advantage is not having to worry about stars expiring until end of 2013 so its win for me either way...unless I intend to buy some games and go through with it or buy some more stuff that came out before mid-2008.

Looking at the grand scheme of things (i.e. the third option waiting for something you truely want) the 10 billion puzzle on the Japanese system is the only other item I want and I would be surprised if it hit Europe (okay it came out under a different name many years ago...).

*-And missing someitmes, too. Forgot Hotel Dusk so that expired and Ace Attorney Justice for all had no expiration printed (note: if it has no expiration date printed but says 250 stars on the front of it and is a DS game, it should work until they deactivate all DS games from the system) and I ended up leaving it what should have been the last eligable day only for it to claim it was already expired. Customer serives are usually quite good at correcing errors in the accounts but on that one they refused to bulge (even sent them pictures showing it and explained how 3.5 years after x=y but wall of ignorance). So yeah, 1st of the month of the last month (as stars are decuded from end of month) is the surefire way to horde. IIRC this month is last chance for Link's Crossbow Training (my slip said 30th of this month on it depsite the game coming out on...what was it, the 7th).

**-Yes, I'm bitter about paying double what they had to do to reach elite membership number though the US has the same going on with the Game and Watch replica model.

PumpkinPie said:
I got my Mum the stainless steel Animal Crossing watch last year, it's pretty good although the face picture is not straight, I didn't want to return it in case they had no more in stock. I guess I could take it to a watch repair shop and get them to move the picture around slightly, it's probably only paper after all.

Can't find any pics of the watch online but it is decent, it cost 4000 points.
This is one thing I've always disliked about the EU Club Nintendo. When they put up the unused PR items stock it sometimes sells out super quick and the vanished off the site entirely. Another one back in the dark ages, I tihnk in 2005 (back when stars catalgoue updates would crash the site as everyone rushed to get the items before they sold out) there was this Nintendogs Dog Kennel for 15000 stars and it sold out in like a minute.

Edit: Anybody else noticed the postplay survey tab when you access product registration (leads to an error 404). Is that new or was it always there to activate postplay surveys if you missed the banner links?

I have to say I was entirely ignorant of the expiry dates and usage periods that the points carried. I know they're 'free' and all but it seems like a particularly low blow and rather shitty that your points can simply vanish on you.
I was looking through the catalogue today (receiving the 3DS T-shirt made me itchy for more Nintendo goods) and noticed that I have stars expiring at the end of this month.
It makes me wonder how many more have expired on me that I've failed to notice...?

As disappointing as the Mario statue seems (purely in terms of size, it's not even as tall as a DS case) I'm gonna go for it as with the SNES controller, after using it to play through Mario World once more for nostalgia purposes, I'd probably not use it again. At least the statue, acting as a bookend to my DS games, will be of slightly more use.

Nocturnowl said:
In case anyone is interested the Animal Crossing CD is back up at 2000 stars
Thanks for the heads up! My brother is crazy for Animal Crossing so I'll grab this for him too.

Starwolf_UK said:
This is one thing I've always disliked about the EU Club Nintendo. When they put up the unused PR items stock it sometimes sells out super quick and the vanished off the site entirely. Another one back in the dark ages, I tihnk in 2005 (back when stars catalgoue updates would crash the site as everyone rushed to get the items before they sold out) there was this Nintendogs Dog Kennel for 15000 stars and it sold out in like a minute.
Why did you do this to me!?
I'd forgotten about those 'special' days where they would offer an extremely limited number of actual items. I actually tried going for the kennel. I was sooooo pissed off when I refreshed my page and they were instantly all gone.
Can you remember anything else they offered back then?
Seems we had the same dilemma in statue vs controller. Did you decide what to go for yet?

How many of you were lucky enough to get the SMB 25th anniversary golden coin? :p

That thing sold out fast. Got there just in time.

StarsCatalogue-Nintendo_1298298287422.png

coin.jpg

Sexy.
Not my image btw.

750 stars, while other crap like stickers cost 4000. That must've been an accident lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is it just me or does the EU Club require a lot more points for the decent prizes than the US one? You can get quality stuff like the Zelda or Mario poster sets for the equivalent of 6 Wii games on Club Nintendo US, but NoE expect you to give up the points from 20 Wii games for some measly pack of tiny game cases and a stylus.

Yeah they have some cool stuff like the soundtracks and SNES controller but they take the piss with the points required, plus they don't have the gold/platinum yearly rewards. I guess I'm glad I can order stuff from both as well as get my free Mario hat/figurine. NoE want me to hand over 7000 points (28 Wii games) for that? Hell no. That coin above is nice though, I would have got that if I knew about it. It's reasonably priced too.

I really wanted that Mario 25th coin :(

Ushojax said:
Is it just me or does the EU Club require a lot more points for the decent prizes than the US one? You can get quality stuff like the Zelda or Mario poster sets for the equivalent of 6 Wii games on Club Nintendo US, but NoE expect you to give up the points from 20 Wii games for some measly pack of tiny game cases and a stylus.

Yeah they have some cool stuff like the soundtracks and SNES controller but they take the piss with the points required, plus they don't have the gold/platinum yearly rewards. I guess I'm glad I can order stuff from both as well as get my free Mario hat/figurine. NoE want me to hand over 7000 points (28 Wii games) for that? Hell no.

Yeah but now 3rd party 3DS games come with coins so it evens it a bit.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Allan Holdsworth said:
Yeah but now 3rd party 3DS games come with coins so it evens it a bit.

True, that is a great improvement but the prices are still absurd. That 7000 (28 Wii game) point Mario figurine was given out for free in the US when you registered the equivalent of 10 Wii games. It's crazy.

Starwolf_UK said:
5500 stars. 550 to expire this month.
Stars expiration is probably the biggest problem with the EU Club Nintendo. I blew all 6000 of my stars from the Gamecube era on Wii points when Nintendo decided to make them all expire - a few weeks later loads of great items appeared. I've also thrown away at least 15-20 stars slips over the years due to them expiring. It wouldn't be so bad if items weren't so severely overpriced, but when you need to buy 20 (Nintendo published) Wii games just for a set of styluses it's no surprise they expire long before getting used.

Still, via a lot of hoarding and begging friends for their star slips I managed to snag the Hanafuda cards and Blooper fan many weeks ago. Hopefully they will turn up sometime soon.

mclem

My SNES controller arrived today. Not yet taken it out of the box, but that combined with a homebrew-enabled Wii should result in one of the nicest emulation systems to sit under a telly.

Apologies if I mentioned the Zelda statue earlier and how many were made. The answer is actually 3800 units and the ones of eBay are in the sub-1000 range. In other words assuming NOE have not and gone and done a Country x gets 0-y, country z get y-k (or whatever) and the ones on eBay are recent they're going to be getting rid of these for years to come.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Why did you do this to me!?
I'd forgotten about those 'special' days where they would offer an extremely limited number of actual items. I actually tried going for the kennel. I was sooooo pissed off when I refreshed my page and they were instantly all gone.
Can you remember anything else they offered back then?
Seems we had the same dilemma in statue vs controller. Did you decide what to go for yet?
My memories of the dark ages come from time to time and its all a bit vauge but I remember a lot of it being stuff like Official Nintendo Magazine free gifts only without the magazine and instead a 1000 stars price tag. They had posters for various games, I can't remember the sizing of them, B2 springs to mind but that may be wrong, I think Starfox Assault was one such game though that was also some Mairo one signed by Miyamoto (there were about 1500 stars). They had hardware on a shockingly often basis. Usually 10,000 stars for a Gamecube. I remember they had the limited to 300 Zelda Minish Cap bundle (which is just like the one you could buy in stores except with a numbered certificate and maybe T-shirt, might have been signed somehow too) which might have been 15,000 stars but probably 10,000. There was also the Nintendo VIP DS bundle, it was 1000 stars and then I think £130 and you got a DS system, US copies of Metroid Prime First Hunt and Super Mario 64 (might have been in EU packaging, can't remember), a T-shirt and a Wario Ware demo. It came with the Club Nintendo codes too but due to it being US versions local multiplayer with your friends who waited for EU launch wouldn't work...nice one NOE (they did a similar thing with the Miyamoto signing session in 2003, first 10 in line got signed US copies of Zelda LTTP and I think a GBA). Plus how I forget games, it was 5000 stars for Gamecube (one I remember Star Fox Assalut, Star Fox Adventures, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 and non-UK, Doshin the giant and Eternal Darkness) and 4000 for GBA (so yes new Club Nintendo cost more, any games like Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero mission were on there...funny story about the latter is the Metroid update happened and I was gutted to miss Prime 2 so went for Zero Mission...got Prime 2 for £10 a couple of months later...thank you low stock catalogue...).

On statue vs controller I've not decided either. I'm going to start planning the codes now and hopefully do it in an order which gets me to 6950 then use a WiiWare survey to hit 7000 exactly. I have a feeling something might be worth more or less which will mess me up though.
Edit: This is an amusing plot twist. Reading the US Club Nintendo thread their statues say Nintendo of Europe on the bottom. In other words Reggie stole our prizes...

ShellyDeKiller said:
750 stars, while other crap like stickers cost 4000. That must've been an accident lol
I'd like to think things like the DS styluss case or whatever its called were stupidly priced due to people being extremely wealthy from years of no expiration and free points on a daily basis (provided they visited the front page...and only the front page) but some of the more recent stuff being similarly "how in the fuck do I buy enough stuff in the 24 months you give me start to finish" makes me think NOE forget to turn the dial down. Or they just don't care.

That said low ticket items like that Mario Coin, the Blooper senzu (fan) and the Mario hand towel do get snapped up pretty quick. Plus at least they don't come off as "heres the old crap our PR department found lying round for year old games". It still feels like hand-me-downs from America or Japan.

Ushojax said:
True, that is a great improvement but the prices are still absurd. That 7000 (28 Wii game) point Mario figurine was given out for free in the US when you registered the equivalent of 10 Wii games. It's crazy.
This makes me wonder how I would feel about a system which was a hybrid of actual money and stars with more stars meaning less money spent. You know kind of like this. I'm one of those mad people who would use the minimum stars and pay the maximum money and end up with 3 times as much as I want.

Jackano

For those who were asking themselves, you can still register old codes, like for Gamecube hardwares (400 stars for this example). You aren't anymore limited on those olds hardwares (back in 2005 you cannot register two GBASP systems, what I do recently).

Also, the OP can mention that you can get up to 350 stars per game: 250 on registration, +50 with preorder bonus, and +50 with survey, which comes a few weeks after registration. Surveys are pretty quick and you can address some messages, but it's also fucking dumb when it ask you "have you played this franchise before?" in the Steel Diver survey.

Finally you get each year an email for your -supposed- birthday, with a link to click. The link only works once a year but it is also not account-signed.

Jackano said:
For those who were asking themselves, you can still register old codes, like for Gamecube hardwares (400 stars for this example). You aren't anymore limited on those olds hardwares (back in 2005 you cannot register two GBASP systems, what I do recently).
Were the GBASP systems both the same colour or not hardware bundles? I technically have 2 Gamecubes on my account. Gamecube and then Pokémon Colosseum Mega Pak (the code was in the game case* and gave me hardware amounts). I'm thinking hardware bundles count as different hardware as its game and hardware in one code so different to both game on own and hardware on own (I have both Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum on account).

*-Bought pre-owned in 2006 as it had the elusive Pokemon Box disc...wait Pokemon box? That reminds me thats another thing that was on Club Nintendo to buy. Zelda collectors edition and occasionally the master quest disc too (which they had to state was not collectors edition).

Shiggy

Starwolf_UK said:
Were the GBASP systems both the same colour or not hardware bundles? I technically have 2 Gamecubes on my account. Gamecube and then Pokémon Colosseum Mega Pak (the code was in the game case* and gave me hardware amounts). I'm thinking hardware bundles count as different hardware as its game and hardware in one code so different to both game on own and hardware on own (I have both Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum on account).

*-Bought pre-owned in 2006 as it had the elusive Pokemon Box disc...wait Pokemon box? That reminds me thats another thing that was on Club Nintendo to buy. Zelda collectors edition and occasionally the master quest disc too (which they had to state was not collectors edition).

You were always able to register two of the same consoles, while being able to register a game once.

Jackano

Starwolf_UK said:

Hmmm, maybe it's that, different bundles!

Edit: Just checked, I have a stock GBASP, a Minish Cap GBASP and a pink GBASP edition, but I also have two gamecubes, a stock one (the first I had, purple) and a recent one (white, Mario football pack) but they both are named simply "Nintendo Gamecube" with a black GC icon.
I can't believe all the shit I registered here since 2002. 2 GB Players, Sword of Mana which was surprisingly distribued by Nintendo (first Square game on a Nintendo console since Bahamut Lagoon isn't it?), Doshin the Giant in 2004, and Wii things I got at bargains prices but never use: Wii Chess, Wii Speack, Wii Music and Super Mario All Star Wii (!).

Two new items up on the UK calaogue. They're both Mario Towels. Given the last one went quickly...
SC_RagYellow_large.png
SC_RagRed_large(1).png

1000 stars each...25cm x 25cm. I personally prefer the (sold out?) enemy design one:
SC_RagBlue_large.png

Pleased I could guess the URL to that

As for my dilemma. Well turns out I didn't need a WiiWare game after all as Nintendogs (w/expiry date) was worth 250 stars giving me exactly 7000 and not having to worry about expiring games until...Apollo Justice so November. As for which to go for, I'm leaning more toward the SNES controller as while it won't get much use its not much use will probably be more time then I spend looking at the statue. Can anyone sort of explain the differences between it and the classic controller more? It looks a bit smaller with a bigger D-pad and non-springy shoulder buttons (p.s. I have how L and R are tiny on the CC Pro while the big ones are useless Z...my Gamecube way of thinking says big=L/R).

Btw, Chemistry GAF what is the SBS (the packaging of the Mario statue) as the main part of the Mario statue is Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), a durable plastic that can injection moulded...that probably explains the mould line I can see on Yoshi in Wario64's picture of the prize (note: it stands about 9-10cm tall making it similar size to these Chrono Trigger ones)

JADS

I got club Nintendo codes for:
Edit: All are gone

I don't use them. If anyone wants one of them them quote this post and I will sent you the code(s) tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone know how long you have until stars expire? I've got about 6000 on my account after being given a ton of stars leaflets by a friend, but even the 7000 stars items don't interest me, so I want to hang on to them in case anything interesting (like the Game & Watch items) come up again.

Oh, I also have a spare Wii Sports Resort code if anyone can make use of it. First person to PM gets it.

JADS said:
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

I don't use them. If anyone wants one of them them quote this post and I will sent you the code(s) tomorrow afternoon.
I would like the Fire Emblem code, since that's probably the only game that I don't intend to purchase.

JADS said:
Ace Attorney T&T
Advance Wars Dark Conflict
Pokémon White
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

I Could do with Ace Attorney (mines American) or Pokemon (mines Black version) if you don't mind...?

Santiako

JADS said:
Ace Attorney T&T
Advance Wars Dark Conflict
Pokémon White

Edit: Fire Emblem is gone
I'll take any. Thanks

Azure Phoenix said:
Anyone know how long you have until stars expire? I've got about 6000 on my account after being given a ton of stars leaflets by a friend, but even the 7000 stars items don't interest me, so I want to hang on to them in case anything interesting (like the Game & Watch items) come up again.
Stars entered into the system take 24 months to expire (tip, use my account > stars balance to work out when the first ones will be eroding). Slips (generally) are 3 and a half years from game release. So basically thats old than Link's Crossbow Training era has expired now (except if they're older than the expiration system itself).

When I worked at a games store, I rinsed the stars catalogue for all it was worth. Pretty much 70% of all Nintendo games traded in still had the code in them, unused. And if they're used, they're fair game.

I have two Classic SNES controllers, and I probably have enough for another one, as I still have a buttload of codes I haven't got around to registering. The problem is that I keep having to set up new accounts, on account of not being able to use two codes for the same game codes on the one account.

I remember reading somewhere the Club Nintendo Hanafuda cards were basically the medium quality ones Nintendo makes.

Anyway, Ocarina of Time is up for Stars bonus.

Edit: It seems according to Club Nintendo the following 3DS do not have Club Nintendo slips: SpongeBob SquigglePants (sorry WayForward fans), LEGO pirates of the Carbonate (I'm fairly sure LEGO star War 3 also lacks them)

Shiggy

Starwolf_UK said:
I remember reading somewhere the Club Nintendo Hanafuda cards were basically the medium quality ones Nintendo makes.

Edit: It seems according to Club Nintendo the following 3DS do not have Club Nintendo slips: SpongeBob SquigglePants (sorry WayForward fans), LEGO pirates of the Carbonate (I'm fairly sure LEGO star War 3 also lacks them)

You're right, the website for Lego Star Wars 3 doesn't have the option to register the game. So LucasArts/Activision is not participating?

domlolz

Banned
Does anyone have a spare point card they aren't using and want to get rid of? I'm 50 points short of having enough to get a nintendo points card and it's pretty annoying, in return I offer love.

GJS

Starwolf_UK said:

Forgot about this thread, I picked up LEGO Star Wars III cheap on ebay and it came with an unused Club Nintendo slip, I don't know why the LEGO PotC is missing them though.

LSIII.png

Top Bottom