• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Nice one.

Hopefully it'll avoid the stupidness this one had at the beginning. Maybe the other thread will distract them?

If anything, the negativity will be minor and will likely go away after the first few pages if it's there at all.

Also, that other thread is just boring now. It should have been locked and archived at page 36, now it's back on topic D:

Boss Man

I don't know how I feel about online trophies.

I tend to be pretty good at games online (although, I've barely touched fighting games this gen), but the part that makes me iffy is that online multiplayer usually has an expiration date.

Imagine, for instance, if MGS4 had launched with trophies and had some that required MGO. That would suck.

Plus, what if you just have a shitty connection or something? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right IMO. The competitive nature of online multiplayer is enough of a draw for replayability without trophies. Offline is where they belong, I think.

jondabomb

I wouldn't mind some online trophies encouraging you to play in different modes or with different characters, I just hope there aren't ones that require you to be super competitive/good at the game

I wouldn't mind some online trophies encouraging you to play in different modes or with different characters, I just hope there aren't ones that require you to be super competitive/good at the game

Yeah agreed. And it's always lame when people online have to get together and decide they're going to let each other do whatever just to get a trophy

The best online trophies are the simple ones that simply are trying to encourage you to play online. Something like play 10 online games win or lose, or use a level 3 super online (which may also take you a few games to accomplish.

The best online trophies are the simple ones that simply are trying to encourage you to play online. Something like play 10 online games win or lose, or use a level 3 super online (which may also take you a few games to accomplish.

This guy gets it. Those are both not bad!

I'm currently discussing with a friend what we're going to do first when the game gets released. Normally I would jump right in and start beating up bots but, the story modes...They're calling to me

R* are the worst when it comes to online trophies. They always have these ridiculous requirements that make you endure their crappy, tacked-on multiplayer modes for obscene amounts of time. Getting to level 50 in Max Payne 3 is torment. Naughty Dog gets it: play a couple of online games for a couple of trophies, BAM! that's it.

I think PASBR has a good chance of having a very fun, creative yet challenging trophy list. I don't know how Superbot can screw it up; it's a game practically tailored for an awesome set of trophies, much like the LittleBigPlanet games. See all the rival scenes, use the level 3 super for every character, kill Sweet Tooth with Nathan Drake... that sort of thing. If there is something like Win 10 Consecutive Matches, then I'll blow a gasket.

B.O.O.M

I don't have a single platinum trophy....I usually just don't like doing extra 'work' to get trophies unless they are a lot of fun to do. Sadly that's not the case in almost all situations for me.

I don't have a single platinum trophy....I usually just don't like doing extra 'work' to get trophies unless they are a lot of fun to do. Sadly that's not the case in almost all situations for me.

I have one in inFamous 2. I'm currently working towards it in Lego Batman 2 though!...

Ploid 3.0

They did something like that once didn't they? Then they never actually followed through... I remember it was in beta or something.

Yeah, it gave you special avatars and themes depending on what level you were or something. I never unlocked one of the rewards in the beta.

Holy crud. After playing the beta, Toro (in his reveal trailer) looks like he's gonna be a machine! Level 1 super looks killer and he seems to be a pretty sweet fighter. I'm especially excited for his Mortal Kombat inspired moves too

KalBalboa

Banned
R* are the worst when it comes to online trophies. They always have these ridiculous requirements that make you endure their crappy, tacked-on multiplayer modes for obscene amounts of time. Getting to level 50 in Max Payne 3 is torment. Naughty Dog gets it: play a couple of online games for a couple of trophies, BAM! that's it.

I think PASBR has a good chance of having a very fun, creative yet challenging trophy list. I don't know how Superbot can screw it up; it's a game practically tailored for an awesome set of trophies, much like the LittleBigPlanet games. See all the rival scenes, use the level 3 super for every character, kill Sweet Tooth with Nathan Drake... that sort of thing. If there is something like Win 10 Consecutive Matches, then I'll blow a gasket.

I just beat Max Payne 3 for the second time this weekend and I only have ~30% of the trophies.

Holy crud. After playing the beta, Toro (in his reveal trailer) looks like he's gonna be a machine! Level 1 super looks killer and he seems to be a pretty sweet fighter. I'm especially excited for his Mortal Kombat inspired moves too

Oh yea I said that many pages back. One of my friends is big into fighting games and hated Toro's inclusion because he was a waste of a character in street fighter x tekken. So I told him I was going to master Toro just to irritate him. He is definitely one of the most versatile characters shown thus far.

jondabomb

After playing the beta and seeing how different each character plays, I have been rewatching all the reveal trailers and looking forward to trying out all the characters

Mr. Fix

A little more would be nice. Like using everyone's level 3 online, or using supers x00 times.

SmithnCo

They should encourage people to try the different modes. IE, a trophy for entering a tournament or fully customizing your profile. Maybe others for stuff like beating Sweet Tooth as Drake and whatnot. Those were kinda cool in MvC3, unlike the shitty "win 5 in a row" trophy.

Mr. Fix

They should encourage people to try the different modes. IE, a trophy for entering a tournament or fully customizing your profile. Maybe others for stuff like beating Sweet Tooth as Drake and whatnot. Those were kinda cool in MvC3, unlike the shitty "win 5 in a row" trophy.

Those are way too easy. As long as there's a punishment system for quitters, it won't be as severe. Winning a tournament would be good as one though.

"It was briefly mentioned that the designers were toying with the idea of AP loss due to excessive blocking against assaults, was there any development on that front? Has the design team considered other options to discourage excessively defensive play?
O: I won’t give you a full breakdown of our combat system (I really couldn’t, considering we’re still tweaking it), but I’ll give you two examples of recent additions that discourage overly defensive play.

First, we recently added AP “chip damage” to blocking opponents, which means that even against a blocking opponent, the attacker is still able to earn a diminished amount of AP. Second, we added a system called Guard Crushing that allows certain moves to defeat the defense of a blocking opponent. These two additions mean that at any given time, simply blocking all incoming attacks is not enough to nullify the AP accrual of your opponents, which should inherently discourage blocking"

Thought this was interesting (Sorry if old)

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/08...out-beta-focus-updates-and-defense-mechanics/

A little more would be nice. Like using everyone's level 3 online, or using supers x00 times.

I was also thinking a tour of the online modes would be nice as well. The difficult ones should be saved for offline. Like completing every story, executing every super, etc.

Online trophies should only exist to encourage players to try the online nothing more. That's my personal stance on it.

SmithnCo

List of online trophies:

Play a match with 3 people on your friend list!
Win 10 matches in a row!
Get to level 100 in All-Star Rank™ and Prestige your profile!
Win a tournament with more than 64 players!
Used Sly's side triangle 200 times in online matches!

Mr. Fix

I was also thinking a tour of the online modes would be nice as well. The difficult ones should be saved for offline. Like completing every story, executing every super, etc.

Online trophies should only exist to encourage players to try the online nothing more. That's my personal stance on it.

It could be like MvC where it's cumulative offline and online. Why force the other to stick to one side? It'd be a snooze fest grinding these out offline. Besides, it's a multiplayer game. Why bother rewarding people looking for an easy platinum?

TheMink

List of online trophies:

Play a match with 3 people on your friend list!
Win 10 matches in a row!
Get to level 100 in All-Star Rank™ and Prestige your profile!
Win a tournament with more than 64 players!
Used Sly's side triangle 200 times in online matches!

Please god no XD

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
"This battlefield will do."

Sean Pertwee <3

Pertwee was damn awesome as Radec in KZ2. It's a shame that series doesn't get the love it deserves for at least trying to carve it's own identity in the cookie-cutter FPS genre, and actually being pretty damn good.

Then again, I think Guerrilla's biggest failing was making 4 Killzone games that did absolutely NOTHING with the genuinely interesting lore they have built in the KZ universe. I would personally LOVE to see a Killzone game done in the Mass Effect style, but still retain the first person perspective, and let you play through the ISA/Helghan conflict from beginning to end, from both sides. Keep the MP the same, but really flesh out that story. /off topic rant.

I really hope the trophies for PBR don't suck. I'm not a trophy guy, but one of the things that discourages me from bothering with them is when they have something absurd like "Get 1,000 wins!," "Get 10,000 kills!" When I was QA for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, there were two Trophies/Achievements that were just that. Now imagine having to get that Trophy every time there was a new build, and you got new builds every few hours. It was maddening. And the whole point of getting it was just to make sure the damn thing worked. After QA'ing many trophy/achievement enabled games, I don't have a particular enthusiasm for them, but if they are fun to get (like Ratchet, Uncharted, and inFAMOUS' were), then I'll be more to bother. I just really hate grind trophies. I do think the three games I mentioned above struck a good balance of challenge and fun.

I hope PBR does that too.

It could be like MvC where it's cumulative offline and online. Why force the other to stick to one side? It'd be a snooze fest grinding these out offline. Besides, it's a multiplayer game. Why bother rewarding people looking for an easy platinum?

For sure that is actually a great compromise, however, I was just saying Online Only trophies are bad for games typically because people change how they play to Chase them, or some have no interest in playing online that much and would rather play multiplayer locally.

TheMink

For sure that is actually a great compromise, however, I was just saying Online Only trophies are bad for games typically because people change how they play to Chase them, or some have no interest in playing online that much and would rather play multiplayer locally.

The only online trophies I hate are strange circumstance trophies, things that have no tactical advantage, or are just plain stupid. i.e "kill three people at once who are all initiating supers before they get a kill/are able to finish" which is a freak circumstance that you might only get by getting three friends together at timing it perfectly with a parappa lvl3

I prefer a trophy like "get six kills with one super" or something like that. Something impressive. Plus you can prove that you did it with a trophy.

I hope that in addition to "win 5 matches in a row" they do a "win 5 matches in a row 2v2 with the same teammate or something like that.

I-hate-u

The PS E3 2012 conference is proof enough that Sony and Ubi have a strong marketing relationship. I really think that an AC character will be in this game

hampig

Just tried this game over the weekend at lollapalooza. Was not impressed. Felt pretty stiff. Shame, it could have been pretty cool.

Just tried this game over the weekend at lollapalooza. Was not impressed. Felt pretty stiff. Shame, it could have been pretty cool.

Thanks for the impressions, I would give the public beta a spin when it hits still. You may feel differently after a few more matches.

Although stiff is an odd choice of word to describe this game it feels anything but stiff. To each their own though.

I will say that the dodging still feels stiff. At least in the beta. I hope it is faster in the final game.

But fat princess twirls around on her feet lol. Dodging to me feels fine, if they sped it up all the better I suppose.

Edit: by stiff are you guys referring to your initial reaction to the lack of dash? I think people had a hard time adjusting to that and pressing x to jump in their first times playing, but then realized there are moves that allow for great mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom