• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Just got the game 3 days ago...been playing at least 3 stages a day, it feels so weird to finally understand what they are saying lol.

Also, been wondering is there a way to obtain the OST devastator ? (the Ruina theme from 2nd OG ) since that what i used on glacies

Yeah, I feel strange as well knowing what they're saying lol I play a lot slower than before since I mostly not skip any dialogue this time.

I'm at stage 23 right now and holyshyte some of the SR requirements are brutal.

Shouta

Picked up SRW UX after finding it for 2000 yen. I can't seem to find used copies anywhere until I went to the one place I used to go to in Tochigi lol

Bebpo

Banned
You never played UX? It's pretty good outside of a bunch of padding/grunt filler. Fun cast and the best OG story in a SRW in ages. A lot better than BX turned out.

killatopak

Gold Member
It's been months and srwz3.2 still isn't being sold in any stores near my place while the new og is here already wtf. I want my gunbuster.

Teknoman

I suppose this is sorta Super Robot Wars related (in subject matter anyway), but anyone know anything about the upcoming SD Gundam G Generation Genesis? Its another SRPG for PS4/Vita thats getting an Asian + English sub release.

Bebpo

Banned
I suppose this is sorta Super Robot Wars related (in subject matter anyway), but anyone know anything about the upcoming SD Gundam G Generation Genesis? Its another SRPG for PS4/Vita thats getting an Asian + English sub release.

They haven't released a ton of information about it yet. We know it's UC Gundam only and it'll probably play like the other G Gen games. The footage looks really nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK56tVMXuQw

Finally started playing Moon Dwellers. Did the tutorial (seems very few people have done this based on the trophy you get for it) and the first two missions in the story mode. Very surreal to see one of these in English.

Also, my 4-year old daughter has enjoyed sitting on the couch with me "helping" strategize and asking questions. It's been fun.

killatopak

Gold Member
I finally got SRW 3.2. I haven't gotten to playing rengoku because I don't have a jpn psn account and my save file of srw z1 is on my NA account. Not sure if I can transfer saves from account to account. I did finish up jigoku 4 times tho so I got that sweet 1.9m cash.

I'm currently at stage 16. So far all I could think about is how hard this is compared to Jigoku and z2.1/2.2. Got hit with a surprise level 50 bosses. Not one but three of them last stage. Enemy stats are also pretty high like my reals have over 50% chance of getting hit and some of them have half upgraded already. It also doesn't help that I'm going for a full SR point run and hard mode isn't making it easier.

SMK

Finally started playing Moon Dwellers. Did the tutorial (seems very few people have done this based on the trophy you get for it) and the first two missions in the story mode. Very surreal to see one of these in English.

Also, my 4-year old daughter has enjoyed sitting on the couch with me "helping" strategize and asking questions. It's been fun.

Yeah I still haven't done the tutorial and I'm on my second play through.

I finally got SRW 3.2. I haven't gotten to playing rengoku because I don't have a jpn psn account and my save file of srw z1 is on my NA account. Not sure if I can transfer saves from account to account. I did finish up jigoku 4 times tho so I got that sweet 1.9m cash.

I'm currently at stage 16. So far all I could think about is how hard this is compared to Jigoku and z2.1/2.2. Got hit with a surprise level 50 bosses. Not one but three of them last stage. Enemy stats are also pretty high like my reals have over 50% chance of getting hit and some of them have half upgraded already. It also doesn't help that I'm going for a full SR point run and hard mode isn't making it easier.
I can't really remember any part of Z3.2 that was hard. If you're having trouble now, it'll fix itself eventually. It came to the point that I had multiple twins that were able to solo entire stages by themselves.

Man, I'm still so disappointed with how Z went after the first one. The shitiness of 3.1 and 3.2 were enough to get me to give up on crossover SRWs for good.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't really remember any part of Z3.2 that was hard. If you're having trouble now, it'll fix itself eventually. It came to the point that I had multiple twins that were able to solo entire stages by themselves.

Man, I'm still so disappointed with how Z went after the first one. The shitiness of 3.1 and 3.2 were enough to get me to give up on crossover SRWs for good.

Z2 was good outside the two-game split which killed some pacing and that they left Gurren unfinished for Z3. Yeah, I hope the next console licensed SRW after V is a fresh reboot that goes back to when SRW was great.

killatopak

Gold Member

Z2.1/2.2 and Z3.1 was my first foray into SRW games. I played OG on the gba for a bit until I got so confused with how many weapons you can use and customize for each suit. I felt that there was no permanent weapon very early in the game or maybe because the mc doesn't have his own trademark suit yet. I also played Alpha Portable( I mainly played for Voltes V cause that shit was crazy popular in my country) but that was fucking hard as fuck especially since I played it even earlier than OG. It was years before I played Z2 cause I thought the series was the dark souls of srpg and I didn't even like srpg back then.

I got into Z2.1 cause it was easy and has some of the newer anime in it like code geass and 00 gundam. Been hooked into srw since and it introduced me to other great anime like gunbuster and votoms.

So basically of all the srw games that i have finished, this is the hardest so far. Relatively at least to me.

Shouta

Z3 wasn't bad but it feels really stiff. Not just because of the animation but because it has so few new series and it relies on the OG parts to push it along. The OG parts are great but it wasn't at the level that I feel it should be to sustain the game.

It needed either more original material for the series it kept or more in-depth OG material to push it along. I feel like they didn't use Crowe, Rand, Setsuko, etc as much as they should have. There are bits for them but I think a real meaty storyline for them would have been much more appropriate.

It needed either more original material for the series it kept or more in-depth OG material to push it along. I feel like they didn't use Crowe, Rand, Setsuko, etc as much as they should have. There are bits for them but I think a real meaty storyline for them would have been much more appropriate.

Well they kind of got shoved off into their own side story for 15 stages that isn't part of the main game at all.

Tsukumo

It's basically G-Gen Spirits remake. I assume all the F-91 stuff and related works will be added subsequently as dlc. Don't think Turn A will pop up.
The animations are really, really good, on par with Operation Extend and the loading times are cartridge level of fast. The PVs don't do the animations justice.
Check this out. There's a bunch of basic attacks but they all look great.

https://youtu.be/2CJK3UUK-Bw

DAT Gundam Hammah
https://youtu.be/2CJK3UUK-Bw?t=1127

They also show the dlcs at the end of the video, which will all be free for pre-orders.

Bebpo

Banned
It's basically G-Gen Spirits remake. I assume all the F-91 stuff and related works will be added subsequently as dlc. Don't think Turn A will pop up.
The animations are really, really good, on par with Operation Extend and the loading times are cartridge level of fast. The PVs don't do the animations justice.
Check this out. There's a bunch of basic attacks but they all look great.

https://youtu.be/2CJK3UUK-Bw

DAT Gundam Hammah
https://youtu.be/2CJK3UUK-Bw?t=1127

They also show the dlcs at the end of the video, which will all be free for pre-orders.

Looks good to me. Still wish it wasn't just UC but oh well. Not sure whether I want to grab it on PS4 or Vita. This is the kind of game I'd rather play on a handheld, but I'll wait until PS4 Pro comes out and see if remote play is any better cause maybe I can get the PS4 version and still play it on Vita that way (on my normal PS4 the remote play can't reach 2 rooms over so I can't play in bed :\ )

SMK

Looks good to me. Still wish it wasn't just UC but oh well. Not sure whether I want to grab it on PS4 or Vita. This is the kind of game I'd rather play on a handheld, but I'll wait until PS4 Pro comes out and see if remote play is any better cause maybe I can get the PS4 version and still play it on Vita that way (on my normal PS4 the remote play can't reach 2 rooms over so I can't play in bed :\ )

Have you tried using remote play through a wireless router? It was way better for me than just doing it through the ps4.

Bebpo

Banned
Have you tried using remote play through a wireless router? It was way better for me than just doing it through the ps4.

I have. It still drops connection pretty frequently and runs in like the lowest quality. No idea why, but it's always been really annoying since I'd love to use remote play for turn-based games.

Prophane33

According to the official site

The PS4 version will not be Remote or Share Play compatible.
The Vita version, while Vita TV compatible will not support the Screenshot function (that I honestly didn't know existed).

Bebpo

Banned
Uhhh, I was under the impression that remote play is not up to the developers, it's built into the hardware. The only thing up to developers is whether they want to add a vita control-scheme. I have never seen a product on PS4 that has not been able to be played on a Vita. Remote play has nothing to do with share play.

But if they somehow went out of their way to break remote play to try to force people to double dip and buy the game twice, they've just lost my sale entirely for the game. That is so incredibly anti-consumer I can't support it.

*edit* I just double checked and even Persona 5 which blocks all screenshots and recording and I would assume share play, still works perfectly on remote play with Vita. I think SD G Gen Genesis will actually be the first game in the history of PS4 games to block remote play if this is true.

Prophane33

Uhhh, I was under the impression that remote play is not up to the developers, it's built into the hardware. The only thing up to developers is whether they want to add a vita control-scheme. I have never seen a product on PS4 that has not been able to be played on a Vita. Remote play has nothing to do with share play.

But if they somehow went out of their way to break remote play to try to force people to double dip and buy the game twice, they've just lost my sale entirely for the game. That is so incredibly anti-consumer I can't support it.

*edit* I just double checked and even Persona 5 which blocks all screenshots and recording and I would assume share play, still works perfectly on remote play with Vita. I think SD G Gen Genesis will actually be the first game in the history of PS4 games to block remote play if this is true.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is not remote play compatible either. Looks like Bandai Namco has a history of doing this.

Edit: and apparently Gundam Breaker 3 blocks it too. They must really want to sell Vita versions.

Bebpo

Banned
I think they just want to sell both versions.

But they're literally breaking the hardware to fuck you.

It's like if they made a PS4 game where they blocked the screenshot ability and then sold a DLC app for $5 that lets you take screenshots. It's insane. There's no justification for blocking remote play other than you were going to get a free portable version and they want you to buy their game twice for $150+ if you want that experience, even though one of the selling points of the PS4 system is remote play giving you a portable version when you buy the PS4 version.

I mean sure they can do whatever they want. But goddamn if this is not the most evil thing I've ever seen done by a videogame company and of course it's by Scamco.

I will never buy another Scamco game new now that I know this. If I really want one, I'll buy it 2nd hand. I hope one day Scamco goes bankrupt and sells its properties to a less scummy company.

With the talk about Wii U stopping production (or at least no more orders for EU), wouldn't that make it the only Nintendo console in Japan to not have any SRW? Unless there's one they're going to release before the NX release.

NES, SNES, N64 (SRW 64), GC (SRW GC), Wii (SRW Neo), GB, GBA, DS, 3DS all had at least one.

NandoGip

Hey guys I hope someone can help me. I've played the two GBA OG games and want to get the new one they released in English. Should I read plot summaries for the games in between?

Also is there a guide on how to actually purchase it? I've never bought a digital game through a different countries PSN

Loona

Hey guys I hope someone can help me. I've played the two GBA OG games and want to get the new one they released in English. Should I read plot summaries for the games in between?

Also is there a guide on how to actually purchase it? I've never bought a digital game through a different countries PSN

Moon Dwellers includes outlines of the stories of past games (as an automatic update in the English version), as well as a glossary of terms that can be selected from dialogue, and describe some concepts and past events.

There's also this fan translation of one of the games in between: http://2ndsrwoge.com/#chapters

NandoGip

Moon Dwellers includes outlines of the stories of past games (as an automatic update in the English version), as well as a glossary of terms that can be selected from dialogue, and describe some concepts and past events.

There's also this fan translation of one of the games in between: http://2ndsrwoge.com/#chapters

Thanks!

How did you get your copy? Im assuming you have the ENG ver right

Loona

The livestream was mostly X Omega, peppered with a history of Mazinger's Rocket Punch and Gundam's Fin Funnels animations throughout the series, plus a Kyosuke cosplayer, no big deal.

In my Moon Dwellers playthrough it seems I missed my 1st shot at unlocking the Coustwell, but I wonder if getting it would be worth it - AFAIK only Calvina and Touya are meant to use that (unless the powerpuffs unexpectedly have access to that, in this or the next game(s)?...), the the story probably keeps Touya's butt on the Granteed seat, while Calvina "Volda's darkness" Coulange just wrecks everything in the Bellzelute and its upgrade, and I'm not sure a change of mech would be that productive...

I'm currently in the 2nd level where unlocking the Coustwell (I wonder if you can unlock one per possible stage?...) is meant to be possible, and wondering if I should bother.

It was neat how in a prior stage the talk between Gilliam and Shana-Mia about the Cross Gates seemed to acknowledge character counterparts in alternate universes, considering the multiverse-heavy nature of the setting.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the trophies about getting the whole PTX team to level 50 and the twins to a total of 100 kills in this playthorugh though - in retrospective, the early levels of this Beginner mode experience were kinda sub-optimal, but I guess I'll keep deploying them at every opportunity, so I won't have to at later attempts with higher difficulties when sticking to characters who're forced deployed might be wiser...

Tsukumo

New G Generation PV.
TWENTY MINUTES long. Some insane animations in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSulqmDz3zA

- Kou's cut-in is absolute goat
https://youtu.be/FSulqmDz3zA?t=652
- Still unclear if animations have dynamic kills or not
- https://youtu.be/FSulqmDz3zA?t=597 @_@

Here's the link to the game's official site.
http://ggg.ggame.jp/
Says it's going to be structured the same way as the original, F and Spirits, with each spin-off getting its own story missions.
Each mission has selectable difficulties (normal, hard, Extra) and highlights the type of terrain, the mobile suits, ships and mobile armors you can unlock.

Bebpo

Banned
Cut-ins look amazing but boycotting the game due to the no remote play thing. Plus with Persona 5/FFXV don't really have time for another rpg/srpg anyhow right now.

Finally got around to preordering the English version of GGen the other day. It's been a while since I played one (PSP or PS2), but the Kamen/Ultra/Gundam mashup on PS3 is pretty much the same thing.

Shouta

Unless they really mix up the gameplay for this GGen, I'm going to pass. The titles after the ones I played all had the same gameplay, just slightly different stages, so it got kinda boring. =/

I really like the graphics though.

Teknoman

Unless they really mix up the gameplay for this GGen, I'm going to pass. The titles after the ones I played all had the same gameplay, just slightly different stages, so it got kinda boring. =/

I really like the graphics though.

Think it would be ok for someone into SRPGs but never played the series? Or is it really by the numbers?

Bebpo

Banned
Think it would be ok for someone into SRPGs but never played the series? Or is it really by the numbers?

G-Gen is more for pokemon-ish fans? It's less about the maps which are whatever and easy, and it's more about getting tons of different units and then combining them to make new cooler units. There's a very strong collect-em-all feel to it. Very fun fanservice for Gundam fans. Then again, I think that feel works better when it has Gundams from every gundam and gunpla ever vs this game which is UC units only. You can tell they kept the unit count in check by doing UC only since they did all new animations for everything. Hopefully if they do another game they'll add in the AU series again.

killatopak

Gold Member
Is it only UC for thr new g gen game?

Last g gen I played was overworld iirc and it features almost all of the series.

Asking cause the youtube video a few posts above only shows uc shows.

Tsukumo

Like Bebpo says it's sort of gotta catch'em all.
G-Gen is very easy if you upgrade but can become impossible if you don't upgrade. Basically you either invest your money in upgrading your favourite unit or you use it to buy blueprints, fuse mechs and outright buy custom versions. You can do both but I wouldn't recommend it.
You can also evolve units, like you can get Gundam 04 or Gundam 05 just by upgrading the original Gundam a bunch of times. Usually the more accessible a unit is the more underpowered will be during the rest of the campaign, so even if you want to keep your Guntank for the entire length of the game you will have to pump a lot of experience and a lot of money into it. Still it will be constantly outclassed by every Guntank-like unit you will encounter along the way.
Strategically G-Gen is more like checkers rather than chess: when you destroy enemy units you get a power-up that grants you HUGE boost to damage and gives an additional turn to attack. You can do this three times, then you get a Spirits attack which does triple damage. This means with a powered-up unit you can down four enemy units per turn.
Enemy AI can do the same but it activates pretty rarely for it. Genesis has hard difficulty so I assume it might be used more frequently.
Spaceships work pretty much the opposite of SRW: they are the most powerful units and have special skills that can turn the tide. Watch out for enemy ships because they are merciless and they spam map attacks.
Another problem, at least for me, is that G-Gen is more oriented towards a "watch an animation just once" approach. I play almost all SRW watching 80% of every fight in a mission, but in G-Gen there are VERY FEW lines recorded for each character so the animations can become pretty boring pretty fast.
Genesis seems to push animations up to ten, so hopefully there will be more variety in terms of scripted lines.

TLDR version: if you grind, you'll break the game's difficulty almost immediately.
I'll post my impressions once I get this thing on day one.

Shouta

Pretty much Pokemon gundam, yeah. I kinda wish it was less unit raising and a bit more focus was paid to more standard strategy stuff.

New originals look like they were drawn by the same person who did the designs for the mobile game originals.

Also aren't those two pilots of the Grungust and Wildschwein from SRW4?

Wonder what they are doing in this game.

Top Bottom