• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

Toothless

Caught the second episode. Just as funny as the pilot although the pilot had better songs. Looking forward to seeing how this season plays out seeing how quickly they seem to be running through plotpoints.

Caught the second episode. Just as funny as the pilot although the pilot had better songs. Looking forward to seeing how this season plays out seeing how quickly they seem to be running through plotpoints.
That is the new CW norm. Burn though stuff fast and move on. I ain't about the slow burn, and I am fine with that.

anaron

I think it'd be wise to move past fixating on Josh by the end of the first 13 eps. I trust everyone involved to realize that though.

I'm not sure what part of "Feeling Kinda Naughty" video is my favorite, it's pretty much down to the "cook your spit into a chowder, dry your sweat into a powder" lyric or the randomness of her dressed like Liberace for that lyric.
"break into your moms house, collect your baby teeth and make them into my new retainer"

Sober

I'm not sure what part of "Feeling Kinda Naughty" video is my favorite, it's pretty much down to the "cook your spit into a chowder, dry your sweat into a powder" lyric or the randomness of her dressed like Liberace for that lyric.
The answer is all of it

all of it

Fintan

Was great to see that the second episode maintained the quality of the first for both the songs and the writing. I think the show will just keep getting better and better.

I think some of my favorite bits are when she turns into Super Lawyer for like 30 seconds, lays the smack down, then reverts right back into awkward stalker girl. She plays it so well.

This show is absolutely fantastic.

I have to say, though, in defense of Sepinwall's concern, this isn't really the same as a non-sequitor title like Terriers, in many ways it actively pushes away potential viewers. No joke, there was a multi-party discussion about it in graffitti on a poster for the show in a Fort Greene subway station. Basically someone called out the bullshit misogyny of calling someone a crazy ex-girlfriend and then, going by handwriting, 25 more people chimed in on either side.

Now, anyone who's actually seen the show, knows that it would actually 100% appeal to the same people who have problems with the stigma of the label of "crazy ex-girlfriend" but, ironically, the title convinced a bunch of them to never watch it because of it.

So I think critics who have a problem with the title have a point, until they start making future billboards that can play the whole opening credits sequence.

Or you could just decide no one is allowed to like The Leftovers and discount his opinion entirely, but that would be...

CRAZY.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Watched the first two episodes yesterday.

I enjoyed it, but it made me almost feel uncomfortable? It's really, really awkard.

NMFried

Huh. Haven't heard of this show before. Is it inspired by the dank meme?

Odd note: The girl from that meme went to my college.

anaron

Alyssa Rosenberg write a great article around CXG and mental illness on TV

Washington Post: The radical promise of TV’s mentally ill women

But for all of its stylistic innovations, “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” has lots of thematic similarities with its counterparts. One element these shows share is a sense that their characters’ parents contributed in some ways to their mental illness. On “Homeland,” Carrie Mathison’s (Claire Danes) bipolar disorder is an inheritance from her otherwise loving father, but her mother’s long absence from her life doesn’t seem as though it’s been helpful either. In “UnREAL,” Rachel Goldberg’s (Shiri Appleby) mother (Mimi Kuzyk) is also her therapist, in a clear violation of medical ethics, providing her daughter’s prescriptions and manipulating her in sessions.

The sources of Rebecca’s problems on “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” are less clear, though still obviously parental. Her mother puts tremendous pressure on her. “She’s just [angry] because I didn’t do the mock trial summer intensive,” 16-year-old Rebecca tells Josh in a flashback to summer camp that starts the series. “She didn’t even want me to go here. But then, I called my dad on his honeymoon in the Bahamas and told him I was having suicidal thoughts, so, ta-da, here I am.” When she has her near-breakdown in New York, Rebecca tells herself of the partnership she’s being offered that “This is great. I’m so happy. Mom’s going to be so happy. This is what happy feels like,” even as her reaction suggests the opposite. “You inconvenienced a lot of people,” Rebecca’s mother tells her over the phone, referring to a suicide attempt she made in law school. And as we learn in tonight’s episode, Rebecca’s father abandoned the family when she was in seventh grade.

Sober

Holy shit the tag with her and her younger self. "Girl with mustache owes me ten bucks!"

Also Josh is legit!

TripOpt55

Man just tried this (watched the first two episodes). Hilarious! I thought the musical aspect might turn me off, but I even like the songs. Good show. Will try and catch the new episode soon.

"I have friends, I definitely have friends, no one can say that I do not have friends"

"Objectively I can say that I have all the friends"

Oh my god

This was the best episode yet. I can't believe that all worked out perfectly for her, and that's what makes it so hilarious and even heartwarming in a fucked up way. Josh is such a bro.

beat

I noticed that too with the first episode but I was too afraid to say anything. He was also the voice of Hans from Frozen.

From the Paleyfest panel, when it came to casting Greg they were so excited about that actor because of that role that McKenna (the co-creator) thought everyone was excited about "Hansen Frozen" ("Hans in Frozen") or something. So when she saw his real name, she was like "this can't be the guy they're talking about".

anaron

Surprised the grocery store dude with the afro last week didn't make an appearance for this episode.
oh damn he would've been perfect!

I love how Rebecca casually sings the musical numbers to herself and the score is instrumental variations

anaron

yeah, I'm comfortable in saying that I'm fully love with the show. It's amazing how fully formed it is in just three episodes.

I'm dying at the Fred & Ginger homage lyrics "settle for me"

I really, really hope CW loves the critical response to this show because the ratings... :(

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-MON.26.png

JTV is likely safe because of it so I hope it'll mean the same for CEG. So much competition on Mondays, especially for female viewership.

I really, really hope CW loves the critical response to this show because the ratings... :(

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-MON.26.png

JTV is likely safe because of it so I hope it'll mean the same for CEG. So much competition on Mondays, especially for female viewership.

I never watch it live, so I wonder what the +3 and +7 were for the first two weeks.

anaron

I feel like this show in particular does better online but we'll see. I think/hope Pedowitz will keep it around for a full first season because he seems to like it based on additional script orders and snagging it from showtime.

mm04

"Face Your Fears" killed me. Love this.

Haha holy crap, that was funny. And growing up in that area myself, her children's only hope is they get into a really good gang...that made me laugh out loud, cuz that shit was true when I was a kid.

Top Bottom