• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

sinnergy

Everyone ignoring the RAM, 4 Gig vs 8 Gig is f*cking huge in my eyes.

Difference between loading a whole level in memory, variation in textures, resolution of the textures.

Feature

Banned
Seems like an incredibly weak console. Maybe they let the info leak out there to make sony think they're dealing with a WiiU2 from microsoft so they wont upgrade their specs. Can't wait for the Orbit leaks, going to be insane. The DDR3 ram is really weak / slow and sony's blu ray drive will be faster as they invented blu ray and have all the secrets about it.

so leaving the 2 off of "192" was the joke? You tell some shitty jokes McBain :p
I didn't see that, I thought you meant "fix'd" :p

So is going to be a massive jump from the 360? Or more like the Wii was to the GameCube?
From raw peak performance we have:

720:
CPU: 102 GFLOPS
GPU: 1228 GFLOPS

360:
CPU: ~55 GFLOPS (can't find good source)
GPU: 240 GFLOPS

Edit: Corrected CPU performance

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Difference between loading a whole level in memory, variation in textures, resolution of the textures.

No one is ignoring the RAM, we just all already know it's a smaller cache of faster ram vs. a larger cache of slower RAM.

n0n44m

correct me if I'm wrong

but the memory is accessed over the North Bridge, which means that the CPU doesn't have an integrated memory controller like any modern PC CPU right ?

so it seems to be more of a custom CPU rather than "just" an AMD notebook processor in a different package ?

jett

D-Member
I am just surprised at how much closer to the wii u this is than what I was expecting.

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

This E3 is going to be hilarious.

Trolls aside, these leaks about Durango aren't making a nox xbox gamer like myself have any sort of hype about it.

That is quite interesting. But what he seems to be talking about is from a port perspective, basically, you are running the same code on two different systems. Code that would have the same sort of requirements, shadows in his example. Its true but its not what im talking about...

What? How did you read what wasn't there? The hell man.

they're better.

I just thought it was funny man. Eliminate them doubts!!

McHuj

I didn't see that, I thought you meant "fix'd" :p

From raw performance we have:

CPU: ~50 GFLOPS
GPU: ~1.2 TFLOPS

vs 0.25 TFLOPS for the XBOX

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Double the CPU, 8 flops per cycle per core (4 ADD & 4 MULT per cycle).

Rumors say a good portion of that 8 gig is going to the OS while only a bit of the 4 is going. Then you have the whole bandwidth issue.

This is the bit I'm confused about. Why is Esram so expensive then if bandwidth wise it's still potentially less than what GDDR5 can muster (up to 192 GB/s or more? depending on bus?).

And in terms of manufacturing cost, what amount of GDDR5 would be equivalent to only 32mb of Esram?

God I hope not. Touch screens and pads, motion controls and all that crap. Not for me. I just want a core gaming machine. Though I appreciate others have differing opinions.

It's just a different way of doing things and MS first party developers are already be used to EDRAM tiling. It also keeps the whole amount of esram bandwidth for gaming rather than for use in non gaming functions. Like a hard lock out for non gaming functions from the gaming side.

charsace

Many people tried to explain that there is no such thing as "magic" chips that double or triple performance. Alas, people want to believe.

Some of the custom chips will be there to aid in parallel processing. They are aiming for efficiency. That's the whole point of the move to multicore processors and general computing. Moving away from aiming for and more raw power and instead aim to get more out of hardware through efficiency.

I don't understand why people are surprised by this. If you have read or listened to anyone talk at MS since the relase of the 360 you would know that they are sky high on general computing over there.

pestul

Wait which is better. Rumored Orbis or Durango?

I think the rumored Orbis specs are better tbh. Still a lot of questions on how large a role the ram will play though. There are some interesting things you can do with an extra 2GB+ of ram.. but then there are some really neat things you can do with much faster ram. This is going to be an awesome generation to watch unfold.

Sharing L2 cache across 4 cores is surprising to me.
I think that's a standard thing with Jaguar cores?
356227-amd-jaguar-compute-unit.jpg

Again I was speaking in terms of architecture.

I was fully expecting them to break out a 4 ghz x86 i5 ish type of cpu and a nividia 550ti type of gpu.
I don't see how an 8-core x86 CPU capable of ~100 GFLOPS is going to be a breeze to port to a 3-core PPC giving ~15 GFLOPS, but someone more in the know may know....

2MB cache per CU is pants on head.

If you look at the Trinity vs. FX equivalent in games, the extra cache the FX's have helps massively.

Kenka

and still closer than we were expecting.
How close ? I am asking this question because I like Nintendo games but still, I wanna play the rest of the industry's output also. And I don't really want to buy two or three consoles that each cost 400+ $.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well I've got to give it to you, that's an incredibly bold claim. Care to expound on why?
Deferred renderers require you to have 5 frames worth of information. Because the ESram only fits a single frame, you need to swap the frames in and out of the ESram from the main memory, which eats up the main memory bandwidth. This is the same problem as on the 360.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Care to explain to an iliterate in those kind of things, what doest it means?

think Google TV - connect your cable box/DVR into the xbox, Xbox is your main TV output, always on.

So you can watch live TV, get notifications from friends overlaid, jump right into a multiplayer game.

or view/search across all your media (DVR recordings, live TV, Netflix, Hulu plus etc) in one hit, and immediately start watching from wherever it is.

R1CHO

If this is true, we may see a bigger graphical difference between the future consoles than on the current ones, that gpu is significantly slower that the one on orbis.

Top Bottom