• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Tactics |OT| A worthy Commandos spiritual successor [PS4/X1 on August 1st]

This is awesome! I have a feeling Im missing out on a bunch of games like this. I just discovered Shadowrun. Are there other tactical games I should be trying?

Jagged Alliance 2 is one of the greatest games of all time and should always be kept in mind if you never played it.

Anno

This is awesome! I have a feeling Im missing out on a bunch of games like this. I just discovered Shadowrun. Are there other tactical games I should be trying?

Satellite Reign is a fun real-time tactics game kinda like this and also probably the mostly gloriously cyberpunk thing ever.

Coreda

hardcore tactical stealth game set in Japan

Interest piqued.

Is there an option to disable the black outlines around objects? Never been a fan of it in games, especially when the graphics appear to hold their own without them.

la_briola

Will download and play the demo. HUGE Commands/Desperados fan.

edit: as other said: Robin Hood too, even if it was not as good as the others, still a great game.

Mikke

Loved Desperados 1 and the medieval Robin Hood version by the same developer.

Yes! The Robin Hood game was pretty awesome. Just saw that it's on GOG, might have to rebuy that one as well.

Played the first level of Shadow Tactics so far, it's really really good. I hadn't even heard of this game before today. Such a welcome surprise.

Jb

Am I correct in assuming the game can't be played completely non-lethally? In a way that's sort of liberating since it gives you free range to use all the lethal options you have at your disposal.

Mikke

Am I correct in assuming the game can't be played completely non-lethally? In a way that's sort of liberating since it gives you free range to use all the lethal options you have at your disposal.

The first mission had a challenge for not killing anyone (except for mission targets), so it is possible.

Jb

The first mission had a challenge for not killing anyone (except for mission targets), so it is possible.

Hmm. I'll do it on my second run then. A ghost playthrough seems a lot harder in this than in most 3D stealth games.

Added to the wish list. I am knee-deep in other assignments right now, and they are asking for a premium tier pricing for an indie game, which is odd because hardly anyone even heard about this game before it showed up on our Discovery queues yesterday.

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic and may join the Christmas splurge

NIN90

Interest piqued.

Is there an option to disable the black outlines around objects? Never been a fan of it in games, especially when the graphics appear to hold their own without them.
Haven't checked but there's an option for outline thickness so I assume one can outright disable it as well.

heringer

Loved the demo. Gamepad works beautifully, so this should definitely be ported to consoles eventually.

I actually might prefer playing with a gamepad. As much as nostalgia I felt playing Commandos like with the mouse, it almost feels like playing MGS with the controller.

Now I only need to know about the lenght to decide if I buy it full price or not.

edit: and wow, the super generic name does not make justice to the game.

NIN90

Loved the demo. Gamepad works beautifully, so this should definitely be ported to consoles eventually.

I actually might prefer playing with a gamepad. As much as nostalgia I felt playing Commandos like with the mouse, it almost feels like playing MGS with the controller.

Now I only need to know about the lenght to decide if I buy it full price or not.

edit: and wow, the super generic name does not make justice to the game.

Heard there's
missions. First mission took me almost an hour to complete and with latter missions undoubtedly increasing in length and complexity, it's safe to assume that there's quite of content here.

deleted

Yeah, I'll try out the demo later. Really liking these kinds of games and it's been ages since they killed of Commandos.

Really impressed by the demo, I immediately grabbed the game on Steam.
I was wondering why this wasn't on my radar until now, and it's probably because of its name. Shadow Tactics is incredibly generic, I imagine they wanted a name that could be used for a bunch of different settings and time periods, but it sounds like a cheap and janky game you'd find in a store's bargain bin.
IMO They should have just called it Blades Of The Shogun, leave out Shadow Tactics

Coreda

Haven't checked but there's an option for outline thickness so I assume one can outright disable it as well.

I'll probably check out the demo. Assuming it shares the same graphics options.

And yeah, the game title isn't doing it any favors attention-wise. I scrolled past it initially before noticing the Commandos name drop.

Schlomo

This looks amazing. I didn't even pay attention to it when I browsed GOG due to the lame title. I should probably play that Robin Hood game I bought a while ago first though before adding another game to my baglog...

This game is great. The mission design is really smart and really brings back Commandos memories. There is a good balance of letting you think things through but presenting you with new interesting challenges every 'screen'.

Jb

Is Takuma a reference to The End from Snake Eater? Or maybe they're both based on the same historical figure. The way his scope works just like the sniper from Commandos is a nice touch.

Oynox

Some people compare it more to Desperados than to Commandos. I have no clue since I never played Commandos but only Desperados which I absolutely loved. Played the demo on my laptop and definitely felt familiar with the gameplay. Really looking forward to the Xbox One release!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think I'm going to have to buy this one. I love these sorts of games, and everyone who's played this seems to be over the moon about it.

Some people compare it more to Desperados than to Commandos. I have no clue since I never played Commandos but only Desperados which I absolutely loved. Played the demo on my laptop and definitely felt familiar with the gameplay. Really looking forward to the Xbox One release!

having played both, they're so similar that i can't even imagine why the distinction would be made.

Is Takuma a reference to The End from Snake Eater?
Yes.

Dantero

Just did the first mission in the demo once lethal/ no alarms and then as non-lethal/no alarms. Non-lethal is going to get pretty ridicilous later on, isn't it? That took forever.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

having played both, they're so similar that i can't even imagine why the distinction would be made.

Yea I was pretty confused by that comment. Really the only distinction between Commandos and Desperadoes (other then the setting obviously) would be the difficulty. Commandos is much harder.

So...the Divinity of Commandos-style real-time stealth strategy?
wSYPS4S.png
ydF3EqN.png

DrWong

So...the Divinity of Commandos-style real-time stealth strategy?
Ah! :]
Was just browsing that and wanted to share it here. The game is selling well and not only on Steam. Curious to see Steamspy this week-end.

It took me 1h45mn to finish the first mission. Now starting the second one.

IMO They should have just called it Blades Of The Shogun, leave out Shadow Tactics

I was thinking the same. But my total random guess after reading their AMA would be that the Shadow Tactics will serve as a naming umbrella under which different settings would fall(if they are successful).
example:
Shadow Tactics: Commandos 4
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun 2

Just a guess!

Difficulty picks up more around the third mission.

This game is so good. I really hope it gains more exposure and does well because it has been a LONG time since a game like this.

Purkake4

Banned
Considering that this is pretty much a one-of-a-kind game that is actually good, I can totally see this doing well. With good word of mouth, Steam sales and a long tail should be no problem.

Saying "it's Commandos in medieval Japan" is much easier than trying to explain why indie platformer #543 is great, even if it really really is.

What's surprising to me is just how much they got right on their very first try, like the character banters. Sure, hayate is a gruff, detached badass, but the scene with mugen at the bar ends on a very enjoyable note, and then there's stuff like how yuki refers to him as soon as she joins the gang. Did not expect enjoyable characterization from a RTT title. Is something that was missing from commandos.

Atolm

Did the second mission, not too hard and the enviromental kills are a nice addition. Onto the third now.

It seems the level challenges is where the hardcore stuff is at.

_DrMario_

Just found out about this game. Tried the demo and bought the game after completing the first mission. I don't like the setting as much as Commando's (nor the art style) but everything else seems pretty damn good.

I spent a lot of hours on Commandos when I was a teen and I'm glad this game is easier (on normal anyway), I don't think I'd have the patience for a hardcore game like Commandos these days.

Top Bottom