• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

JakeD

You could try playing in borderless windowed mode without vsync, using Borderless Gaming.

i hopped back in and played for a while and was unable to recreate the stutter, must have just been something funky with my pc that day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wish i just pre-ordered now! oh well.

Nabs

i hopped back in and played for a while and was unable to recreate the stutter, must have just been something funky with my pc that day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wish i just pre-ordered now! oh well.

The Humble Monthly discount is still up!

gappvembe

Not sure how I didn't kickstart this, I have kickstarted damn near every console release (and some only PC release) Metroidvania that have been offered! Will get on switch. Hopefully I'll be done with Zelda then.

XaosWolf

Just as an update: Hollow Knight is actually £10.99 on Steam.

Bought and depending how I like it will likely double-dip for the Switch version. =)
Need to finish Night in the Woods first though

Dr.Acula

Banned
I forgot to turn on my PC this morning and now I can't initiate the install from my phone! This is the worst day of my life.

Dantero

Played for 90 minutes. It's fun. Feels like Ori but with more satisfying combat and less (emotional) story. Do hope the difficulty ramps up, haven't died yet.

Just as an update: Hollow Knight is actually £10.99 on Steam.

Bought and depending how I like it will likely double-dip for the Switch version. =)
Need to finish Night in the Woods first though

Yeah, I should have changed that when it was pointed out the US price was off.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't know whether to buy this on Steam or GOG. Steam has the convenience, although that is mitigated by Galaxy and Steam being good with shortcuts/controller profiles for externally added games. I like the DRM-free nature of GOG but there are sometimes games that don't get the same level of support as Steam versions do, so it's somewhat safer to go Steam in a sense.

Talk to me, GAF. Or devs, if you're about.

Listening to the soundtrack as I write this post based on the praise I've seen and it's great. Not always my sort of thing, but it's very good stuff.

Nabs

I don't know whether to buy this on Steam or GOG. Steam has the convenience, although that is mitigated by Galaxy and Steam being good with shortcuts/controller profiles for externally added games. I like the DRM-free nature of GOG but there are sometimes games that don't get the same level of support as Steam versions do, so it's somewhat safer to go Steam in a sense.

Talk to me, GAF. Or devs, if you're about.

Listening to the soundtrack as I write this post based on the praise I've seen and it's great. Not always my sort of thing, but it's very good stuff.

Humble Store. You get a Steam key and a DRM free download.

jb1234

Played the first 80 minutes. I like it a lot. Controls are solid, combat is fun and the exploration is scratching my Metroidvania itch. Only gripe is that it's a tad easy so far. I have died a couple of times but mostly from doing really stupid shit. Both bosses I've fought are designed well but not especially difficult. Definitely not Salt and Sanctuary levels of pulling your hair out.

I can't decide whether I like the map system or not (with all the upgrades). It fills out all the areas you've explored once you reach a bench but it's more an inconvenience than an actual gameplay perk. I can see what they were going for but I'm not quite feeling it. It's not a big deal, though.

I haven't heard a great deal of the soundtrack so far (just four pieces, I think) but what's there has been very effective in establishing the mood.

Silvawuff

Played the first 80 minutes. I like it a lot. Controls are solid, combat is fun and the exploration is scratching my Metroidvania itch. Only gripe is that it's a tad easy so far. I have died a couple of times but mostly from doing really stupid shit. Both bosses I've fought are designed well but not especially difficult. Definitely not Salt and Sanctuary levels of pulling your hair out.

I can't decide whether I like the map system or not (with all the upgrades). It fills out all the areas you've explored once you reach a bench but it's more an inconvenience than an actual gameplay perk. I can see what they were going for but I'm not quite feeling it. It's not a big deal, though.

I haven't heard a great deal of the soundtrack so far (just four pieces, I think) but what's there has been very effective in establishing the mood.

Awesome, thank you for this. How does the death system work? I've heard rogue-like dropped but I haven't really seen it explained much.

jb1234

Awesome, thank you for this. How does the death system work? I've heard rogue-like dropped but I haven't really seen it explained much.

You lose all your money and it takes you back to a checkpoint. Like in a Souls game (or Salt and Sanctuary), if you get back to the place you died and slash up a a purple blob roaming around, you get your money back.

Just bought this - I'll be tearing into it over the weekend. The aesthetic is right up my alley, and I've got high hopes for the gameplay

Nere

What do those little snails that you save from the jars do? I have saved 2 and nothing happened. I have played for a little more than an hour now and I can't say I like it. The map seems big and empty at the same time, just endless corridors with a few enemies, I beat the first boss felt like I would finally get a new ability but nothing just money and why couldn't they use a normal map system like metroid and castlevania? I will keep playing and hopefully it will click.

What do those little snails that you save from the jars do? I have saved 2 and nothing happened. I have played for a little more than an hour now and I can't say I like it. The map seems big and empty at the same time, just endless corridors with a few enemies, I beat the first boss felt like I would finally get a new ability but nothing just money and why couldn't they use a normal map system like metroid and castlevania? I will keep playing and hopefully it will click.

They go back to their father located at the top left of Forgotten Pathway. If you go to him he will reward you with Geos (ingame currency) for each one you rescue.

What is wrong with the framerate? Constant stutters when shattering crystals, having four enemies on screen, or hitting the dopey worm up and down boss.

Wok

What is wrong with the framerate? Constant stutters when shattering crystals, having four enemies on screen, or hitting the dopey worm up and down boss.

I actually have occasional stuttering too despite the framerate being locked to 60 FPS (according to Steam's framerate monitoring).

It doesn't. It's unlikely you won't get the map and the two main upgrades for it within the first hour.

I have the map for the first location, but not for the second (the
grass
land). I hope I can get it somewhere.

Nere

Same here and is it only me or the loading between areas takes a bit longer than it should?

Played it for a few hours, has some framerate issues sometimes but nothing bad or very often. Game is good so far, very castlevania/dark soulish vibe. Not too hard but not too easy either regarding difficulty. I heard it can take up to 30 hours to finish which is a lot..I hope it can keep me entertained for so long...15, max 20 for 100% would've been enough for this type of game.

Joco

Welp, already died to some big beetle with a club of some sort. Thought maybe I could dodge and then mash the attack button to quick finish him off. Nope.

I love the art style and atmosphere. Simply fantastic.

Stoze

I actually have occasional stuttering too despite the framerate being locked to 60 FPS (according to Steam's framerate monitoring).
Same, though it's really infrequent.
grass

You can. Judging by that screen you posted down below, I think you passed it.

Vertti

Played about 3 hours.

This is a big game so I really don't know what to think yet. I just got my first movement upgrade so hopefully things get a bit more interesting. The combat cental gameplay reminds me of Igavanias which ain't a bad thing. Enemy and boss encounters have been OK so far. They telegraph their attacks very apparently so I haven't had really any problems beating them.

Typical Metroidvanias are usually 5-10 hours so this being over 20 hours I'm a bit worried that the game starts feel stale at some point. But if Hollow Knight can bring interesting upgrades with good pacing this could be a "hidden gem" of 2017.

Looks pretty cool. Might get it on Switch later. 9GB sounds like a crazy large size though... Is it using uncompressed audio or something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looks pretty cool. Might get it on Switch later. 9GB sounds like a crazy large size though... Is it using uncompressed audio or something?

Just a lot of unique data. Judging from the game's installation directory, there almost 400 areas/screens.

Stoze

There's a ton of high quality art assets and the game is meaty. The best comparison for size/engine would be Ori, another metroidvania made in Unity, and the def edition of that is 11GB.

This is what every screen actually looks like in-engine, taken from their blog:
wfif9Gm.gif

Five

Banned

You weren't imagining it. There were two different stutters in the game up throughout most of pre-release, and I don't remember if they ever got ironed out.

It's super quick. Like so quick you wonder qhat the point of not having a map is. I've already bought everything in there.

There will be more to buy later, but it is a good while later, so don't feel the need to check up every time.

It gets a bunch harder later. The first boss False Knight is not a good impression of how difficult the game gets. It's just kind of a slow start because the game is so long.

jb1234

Like others, I'm starting to get concerned that the game can't sustain its length. I'm almost three hours in and it's already feeling samey. The second area looks different than the first but it doesn't particularly *feel* different. The level design itself is pretty static, lots of horizontal and vertical corridors without a lot of distinction or landmarks to set them apart.

This is a problem with other games in the genre as well (especially Ivavanias) but they're not over 20 hours either. We'll see how I feel as I keep playing.

(It's definitely getting harder, though. The second boss got me a few times before I paid attention to her patterns...)

Five

Banned
Like others, I'm starting to get concerned that the game can't sustain its length. I'm almost three hours in and it's already feeling samey. The second area looks different than the first but it doesn't particularly *feel* different. The level design itself is pretty static, lots of horizontal and vertical corridors without a lot of distinction or landmarks to set them apart.

This is a problem with other games in the genre as well (especially Ivavanias) but they're not over 20 hours either. We'll see how I feel as I keep playing.

(It's definitely getting harder, though. The second boss got me a few times before I paid attention to her patterns...)

I'd encourage you to stick with it just a little bit longer. When you start getting different movement powers it opens up a lot more.

Hm, I think I'm stuck. I finished the first boss and the bug thing that moves fast up/down, still don't have doubleJump, bought all the items from the store and looked through every part of the map, but can't find any way to progress :(

Help?

Truant

Enjoying the game a lot, but I have a few issues. I feel like the game is sorta stingy on the upgrades / gear. I also thing a lot of the rooms / screens within any given tileset look the same, and it's kinda hard to tell the areas apart. It does get better when you get the full map.

I also think the controls feel off at times. I've been noticing a few situations where the character faces the wrong way at the last second causing my attacks or dodges to miss or go in the wrong direction.

Five

Banned
Hm, I think I'm stuck. I finished the first boss and the bug thing that moves fast up/down, still don't have doubleJump, bought all the items from the store and looked through every part of the map, but can't find any way to progress :(

Help?

You don't get the double jump until really late in the game. Like, somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty hours in.

On the left side of False Knight's arena there's a door you can go through to get to a witch who teaches you to cast fireballs. You can then use this to get into the greenpath, which you enter from the wooded door on the far left side of the forgotten corridor.

jb1234

I'd encourage you to stick with it just a little bit longer. When you start getting different movement powers it opens up a lot more.

Oh, yeah. I'm totally with you. I'm actually printing out the maps so I can make notes on them, haha.

Five

Banned
Oh, yeah. I'm totally with you. I'm actually printing out the maps so I can make notes on them, haha.

Yeah, I wish they would have been able to implement that before release. Writing notes on the map was one of the best features of UnEpic.

jb1234

Yeah, I wish they would have been able to implement that before release. Writing notes on the map was one of the best features of UnEpic.

It's a feature I almost never see on games of this type so I wasn't expecting it. Still, it would be nice because my memory is terrible and there's so many areas I just can't get further in because I don't have the ability needed yet.

jimboton

grass

A dev has acknowledged the existence of performance 'hitches' on a Steam thread, says they're working on it.

Help?
What Five says (is it even possible to miss
the shaman/witch
?)

There's another exit
to the right of the map, some sort of mines
, have you been there?

Top Bottom