• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Spongebob

Banned
I believe these are accurate, though, again, the extra hardware they don't explain will play a major part in what Durango does. I've also heard from reliable sources that the GPU CUs are super-efficient, with an aim for almost 100 percent usage at all times. The 360 hit around 60 percent, I understand. Like I've said previously, context is going to be really important for both systems.

Now please explain to me where your 170-200W figure comes from. I see absolutely nothing here to indicate such a thing. Durango really sounds more along the lines of a cable box/tv tuner than a games console.

aegies

did you know all this when you claimed 2.5TFLOPs for durango "sounds about right"?

Before I was set straight about the teraflop comparison not working, yes. You need very powerful PC hardware to do what Durango (and Orbis) are doing. In fact, the devkits for Orbis and Durango are very, very similar.

Now please explain to me where your 170-200W figure comes from. I see absolutely nothing here to indicate such a thing. Durango really sounds more along the lines of a cable box/tv tuner than a games console.

You don't know what you're talking about.

StevieP

Banned
Ok, really dumb questions from someone who doesn't understand any of this tech talk:

1- Based on these rumored specs, are we going to see the type of graphical leap we saw last generation?

Yes and no. Last generation we had a move from much more basic SD output to (mostly) HD output with shaders and fancy lighting. This is more of the same as that, but with more capabilities and obviously better IQ.

2- Are 3rd party ports theoretically more possible for Wii U than they were for the Wii, or is it the exact same scenario? Not commenting on whether it will happen or whether it makes sense for it to happen, just wondering if it is technically going to be easier.

Thanks!

They are way more theoretically possible than they were for Wii, which used a GPU design from the 90s rather than more than a decade later. There is still a CPU, ram and GPU defecit, however, and not a small defecit. But porting is not a gigantic technical hurdle. The Wii U is capable of running the engines this time around.

With that said, don't expect too many ports (hell, probably a similar amount to the Wii). Publishers' bean counters operate on ROI and perceived demographics.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
did you know all this when you claimed 2.5TFLOPs for durango "sounds about right"?

i think he'd still claim that - for real world performance vs what you'd see in the pc world. all along the insiders have said not to pay attention to the numbers, they dont mean as much as you think, and that both systems are more powerful then the numbers indicate. yet here we are, multiple threads and countless posts latter, still seeing the same disappointment

TheOddOne

I believe these are accurate, though, again, the extra hardware they don't explain will play a major part in what Durango does. I've also heard from reliable sources that the GPU CUs are super-efficient, with an aim for almost 100 percent usage at all times. The 360 hit around 60 percent, I understand. Like I've said previously, context is going to be really important for both systems.
Man, this thing has to be super secret or something :\

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gemüsepizza;46705518 said:
Doesn't this depend on developers?

Of course. As does the Xenos 60% figure (which a couple of days ago, I think was aegies' reference to PC GPUs...no one such figure exists anyway.). Which isn't to say modern GPU units aren't 'better' or 'more efficient' than what was in Xenos - of course, they benefit from several years of design know how - but it'll still depend on developers. You can stall any processor, or optimise use of any processor. Now there may be potential bottlenecks in a system for typical cases that hardware design can try to address, but that's subtly different thing.

derFeef

Lol how often are you going to make this comment? It's nonsense and just silly.

pr0cs

Durango really sounds more along the lines of a cable box/tv tuner than a games console.

serious?
no really.. serious?

this has to be the most powerful tv tuner known to man then. If you're serious then you're really hard to take serious.

Jadedx

Banned

So you're saying MS is going for efficiency rather than raw power, just like they did with the 360.

You're having quite the meltdown.
Jr will probably be banned if he keeps it up.

So Orbis is significantly better now?

If it's "better" it probably won't be significantly. From what I understand, the most obvious difference between the hardware is pretty much in the type of RAM they use. They use the same CPU, similar GPU.

Would be even more funny if all of their other third party off the shelf parts are provided by the same vendors.

Devs will focus all additional GPU power on more poly/effects, I can promise you that. IQ and physics won't improve next-gen.

This would be the first time. I think the average image quality will improve once again (at least slightly), even if 1080p won't become the new standard.

GlamFM

Banned

Can you stop with this crap please. We get it. Does not get less stupid if you repeat it over and over.

Nope, no amount of optimisation will bring you what you saw in those demos. Both Sony and especially MS have said goodbye to high end console gaming that would be on the same level the 360 was in 2005.

They'll run them at 1080p. Those demos and engines wouldn't have been made if the next-gen consoles couldn't run them at parity or close to it.

thuway

Before I was set straight about the teraflop comparison not working, yes. You need very powerful PC hardware to do what Durango (and Orbis) are doing. In fact, the devkits for Orbis and Durango are very, very similar.

Ding ding ding ding. Fanboys eat your heart yout.

gaming_noob

That's a bit too ridiculous.

This is it:

Durango: Mystic Gohan
Orbis: Buutenks

More like:

Durango: Los Angeles Lakers 2012-2013
Orbis: Oklahoma Thunder 2012-2013

If you like de baseball (based on team projections):
Durango: Toronto Bluejays
Orbis: Washington Nationals

Oemenia

Banned
Remember what happened last time the same people wrote-off the power of the 360?

I honestly thought you guys wouldve learned by now...

pixlexic

Banned
People saying this will be as a significant leap as going from the ps2 to ps3 will be disappointing. We would need something along the lines of going from flat shaded textures to normal maps to make as much of an impact.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if CUs are often not used nearly half the time, you'd think AMD/Nvidia would revisit their GPU architectures to make the pipelines more efficient rather than just add more CUs.

Seems odd.

so it'd be like

MS: Here is a 7970 in a PC, it'll approximate what you'll get in durango (actual GPU is significantly weaker but with a much more efficient pipeline avoiding stalls etc)
Sony: Here is a 7970 in a PC, it'll approximate what you'll get in orbis (Actual GPU is weaker but better than Durango, but relies more on brute force and isn't as efficient so the end result is similar)

(actual GPU just made up for the same of comparison)

Sid

it doesn't. It's " I have a giant dick" shtick. WD is open world, and taking that into consideration it looked better. 1313 meh
1313 looks better because it isn't open world,when simply talking about which looks bettter you should only take how it looks into consideration not the level design.

Sorc3r3r

I agree and I'd think most TVs bought this year should have Smart functionality, and that will be more sales than all consoles combined.
But it sounds like Microsoft are trying to replace the DVR/Cable box, which so far is the one box that isn't covered by these smart systems. (apart from audio receivers...).

In Europe, Asia, and other PAL countries Microsoft must have a solid alternative strategy, this is a USA forum so i can understand that the focus is about the USA market, but to sell this thing outside that market with the focus they seem to have will be an hard job, put all this service behind a paywall and you have even more obstacles.

But only time will tell, E3 can't come soon enough.

Jarmel

Banned
If it's "better" it probably won't be significantly. From what I understand, the most obvious difference between the hardware is pretty much in the type of RAM they use. They use the same CPU, similar GPU.

Would be even more funny if all of their other third party off the shelf parts are provided by the same vendors.

Well my understanding is that Orbis has a better GPU, more ram now as Orbis has recently done a bump, and a similar CPU. Durango is more efficient supposedly but on specs, Orbis is the clear leader. Is this a correct impression then?

Reiko

Banned
People saying this will be as a significant leap as going from the ps2 to ps3 will be disappointing. We would need something along the lines of going from flat shaded textures to normal maps to make as much of an impact.

I think games looking closer to CG is a big fucking leap.

From what I remembered (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) all consoles since the dawn of console ages have to work under a 240W limit.

charsace

This is a repeat of the whole xbox 1.5 things.

1)Games won't look that much better than this gen arguments.

2)Sony system crushes the MS system arguments.

These will be forever reincarnated now won't they?

Maxrunner

Does my i7 920 with 12 GB DDR3 and HD6970 get the job done?

Of course. As does the Xenos 60% figure (which a couple of days ago, I think was aegies' reference to PC GPUs...no one such figure exists anyway.). Which isn't to say modern GPU units aren't 'better' or 'more efficient' than what was in Xenos - of course, they benefit from several years of design know how - but it'll still depend on developers. You can stall any processor, or optimise use of any processor. Now there may be potential bottlenecks in a system for typical cases that hardware design can try to address, but that's subtly different thing.

If the architecture doesn't allow you to reach 100%, and you only manage to reach 60 because of it, how is that dependent on developers?

MS could've simply designed a more powerful system you know?

Spongebob

Banned
Trying to keep my head cool......

Anyways Orbis and Durango will probably be pretty close if Durnago's CUs are more efficient. I think Proelite mentioned something along those lines.

Reiko

Banned

It feels like 2005 again. My body is ready.

i think he'd still claim that - for real world performance vs what you'd see in the pc world. all along the insiders have said not to pay attention to the numbers, they dont mean as much as you think, and that both systems are more powerful then the numbers indicate. yet here we are, multiple threads and countless posts latter, still seeing the same disappointment

People will come around when they see the early titles. FLOPS was always a poor indication of performance as it is only one of many metrics that matter. For example what good is a GPU with a high TF rating when it simply can't be feed fast enough by other components.

Still people have to cling to something to compare against. If people let go of FLOPS they will latch onto something else. Like always the proof will be in the games. I recall when everyone agreed that the PS3 was much more powerful than the 360 due to the FLOPS difference. In the end it was a wash from game to game for many reasons.

Top Bottom