• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

I can't believe all the nazi sympathizers we have

The real insulting part is how they seem to literally erase the history of Nazi ideals for the sake of making it seem that being a Nazi is practically harmless. Like you have to ignore a frightening amount of atrocities to act like being a Nazi is something that is victimless (they pull the same with the KKK). I don't say this phrase often but if anyone would be rolling in their graves these days it's literally every veteran and victim who suffered or died valiantly at the hands of Nazis.

This is great! I've got Dhalgren on my Kindle and I really should just make it my next read to go along with this music

Man that Nazi thread is fucked up.

---------------

Afternoon fam

It's something. It's certainly something.

Morning BCT

Shit got me heated

It isn't surprising at this point

the black dude that befriends KKK members did an AMA on reddit

so, you know

get ready to see that shit brought up every damn day from now on

Did he really? Oh no

That dude is not only gonna be used as the new MLK defense, but he's trash too. Saw that YouTube video of him and was completely disgusted. Man is the living embodiment of uncle Ruckus. Hateful, disgraceful trash.

Is he? Well...damn

That dude is not only gonna be used as the new MLK defense, but he's trash too. Saw that YouTube video of him and was completely disgusted. Man is the living embodiment of uncle Ruckus. Hateful, disgraceful trash.

Is he? That's so depressing lol

I guess you can make friends with white supremacists more easily if you share common beliefs. Now I wonder what their conversations are like.

It's something. It's certainly something.

Morning BCT

It isn't surprising at this point

Did he really? Oh no

Is he? Well...damn

Is he? That's so depressing lol

I guess you can make friends with white supremacists more easily if you share common beliefs. Now I wonder what their conversations are like.

If you need more proof to who he is, search "Darryl Davis interview on YouTube". To say that interview was an eye opener to who he really was.....is an understatement.

" what if they raped the nazi instead" how the fuck do people come up with shit.

Same people never ask the reverse. Like what if the Nazi, the only person in the situation whose worldview revolves around the destruction of non-whites, wasn't just satisfied harassing black people and decided to stick to Hitler's ultimate principal? Hell, what if this is something he's already taken part in?

Beefy

They'll tie themselves in a knot for someone who is as racist as they are.

Same people never ask the reverse. Like what if the Nazi, the only person in the situation whose worldview revolves around the destruction of non-whites, wasn't just satisfied harassing black people and decided to stick to Hitler's ultimate principal? Hell, what if this is something he's already taken part in?

What it basicailly boils down to is privilege. Dudes can't see when poc have no other choice.

Bronx-Man

Banned
There's a point when you just gotta dip outta threads to keep yourself good. I knew damn well that Nazi thread would lead to some bullshit immediately.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to be contrarian.

What exactly did he say that was Uncle Ruckus-esque? It sounds to me like he believes what he's doing is right, and everyone he's arguing with believes the same for themselves. The only stupid comment from him - IMO - is the idea that they were like Trump. That and believing the KKK didn't exist in MD.

I didn't hear him saying they shouldn't protest or that black people were doing X or Y or Z thing wrong. What am I missing?

EDIT: We're bits cut out? I feel like this is aggressive jumping to conclusions. How do you get to "he hates himself" from his disagreements?

And his last comment on "a KKK member hates a white person who sells out more than a black person" is also wrong and stupid. But he didn't seem like he got the chance to do... anything that would show he's self-hating...

Disclaimer: I don't mean to be contrarian.

What exactly did he say that was Uncle Ruckus-esque? It sounds to me like he believes what he's doing is right, and everyone he's arguing with believes the same. The only stupid comment from him - IMO - is the idea that they were like Trump. That and believing the KKK didn't exist in MD.

I didn't hear him saying they shouldn't protest or that black people were doing X or Y or Z thing wrong. What am I missing?

Hmmm, hold on, I read some stuff Messofango posted in a Darryl Davis thread. Looking.for it now.

On a lighter note (possibly), any of y'all watch mother! yet? I like Aronofsky's stuff (and I don't want to be spoiled either) but I'd really rather spend my money this week on comics from the Marvel sale lol

Johndoey

Banned
On a lighter note (possibly), any of y'all watch mother! yet? I like Aronofsky's stuff (and I don't want to be spoiled either) but I'd really rather spend my money this week on comics from the Marvel sale lol
It's an interesting movie I'm glad I saw. That's about all I want to say about the film outside of a discussion with someone who's seen it. It relies on mystique.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ANN review of the Jaden Smith anime on Netflix:

They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account.

That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid to make conversation with his field hockey buddies Gottlieb and Lexy. “I can barely navigate the hellish vortex between breakfast and dinner,” he remarks, “let alone the labyrinth of the field hockey field.” You can practically hear the lack of punctuation. Smith's goofy, exaggerated dryness is supposed to make his character, a pink-haired fashion-conscious wizard, relatable, but there's just something off about his delivery. There's something off about everyone's delivery in Neo Yokio, though. Hell, there's something off about everything in the damn show, starting off with the weak, rubbery character designs, the stiff, unfinished-looking animation, the unimaginative backgrounds and uninspired acting, the stilted writing, all the way to the music, which comes off like a temp soundtrack that never got replaced with any much-needed original pieces.

Productions like Neo Yokio are why I greet the news of every “big-time east-west Hollywood anime collaboration!” with a certain amount of trepidation. Just think of the Marvel anime—most of it's third-rate, because the talent just isn't there for it. It's much the same for Neo Yokio. We're told that this is somehow a collaboration with Studio DEEN, who provided storyboards for the series. I wouldn't have believed that Neo Yokio even had storyboards, because none of the shots make sense and there's no sense of time passing, but there are storyboard revisionists named in the credits, so I guess there must have been storyboards. Character designer Hirofumi Morimoto has a few bona fide credits under his belt, but most of the rest of the animation staff are capable but workmanlike shemps from Moi Animation. One of Morimoto's fellow designers from the Japan side uses the alias “Okadochigai,” which is a slangy, fun way of saying that you're really frustrated. I'll bet you were, buddy! One of the production execs on board is Production I.G's own Mitsuhisa Ishikawa. He can go ahead and put Neo Yokio right there on the shelf next to Jin-Roh.

This show was created for Fox's now-defunct ADHD animation programming initiative - but when all was said and done, it never aired. So, Netflix got it. In the wake of Neo Yokio's portentous, absurd trailer, I saw a lot of hand-wringing about how this show was beneath Netflix's standards, and showed that they didn't take anime seriously. Folks, it's common sense: Netflix got this series for one reason only, because it was a TV show with some notable celebrities attached—one that they could tout as yet another Original, something no other network or service has. Just like House of Cards! Or maybe more like that Richie Rich show from a couple of years back.

A few times across Neo Yokio's interminable six episodes, something about Smith's wry delivery shines through for a moment, or a bit of dialogue draws a laugh rather than a scowl, or a joke actually lands. It leaves me feeling that, if this show had just been better-written, maybe by a totally different writing team and if it had looked better, and had been animated better, maybe by a completely different studio, it might've been a huge hit (and a completely different show). But we're stuck with Neo Yokio, and as mind-bendingly awful as it is, I am utterly fascinated. It's weird enough that this made it to pilot, but they made a whole 6-episode season of this thing! Neo Yokio is going to be savaged by fans around the globe, but the show's very existence is so strange that you won't be able to look away. I think that animation lovers all over the globe are going to love the crap out of hatewatching this, for at least an episode or two. But is Neo Yokio a valuable, interesting, or even marginally competent series? The answer is no.

Grade:

Overall : F
Story : F
Animation : D
Art : F
Music : F

+ It's astonishing that something like this got finished and released to the public.
− It's still nigh-unwatchable codswallop.

D i Z

^ damn, that's scorching.

Mornin' all.

the black dude that befriends KKK members did an AMA on reddit

so, you know

get ready to see that shit brought up every damn day from now on

Welp. I bet we start to see him pop up in a more official capacity as a speaker for politic events soon enough. A replacement for David Clarke perhaps?

JD saw it. He liked it but I don't think loved it, if I can speak for him for a second. I'm gonna see it asap although I already know what the story is so I'm not going in cold.

It's an interesting movie I'm glad I saw. That's about all I want to say about the film outside of a discussion with someone who's seen it. It relies on mystique.

JD saw it. He liked it but I don't think loved it, if I can speak for him for a second. I'm gonna see it asap although I already know what the story is so I'm not going in cold.

Yeah I might just go. I really think I can avoid spoilers until the weekend.

G'damn that mention of Totally Spies made me realize the animation does look exactly like it. It seems that Totally Spies was more coherent and had better acting according to this review which I'd believe. The voice acting in the trailer did seem very lifeless and I really had no idea what the premise was until this review played it out. TBH the setup doesn't sound awful but the writing seems like it's abysmal. It's one of those times I'd like to see the scripts because I'm 100% sure there are a wealth of Gaffers who could do better, starting with scrapping the masturbatory anime reference BS.

Hey all random question:

Any of you rock a fade? What levels do you usually go with?

Just recently went with a 1/2 on bottom 1.5 on top. I used to just get a ceaser, then went for a real slight fade, to where I am now since you could barely tell the difference.

Caught a Miley Cyrus video this morning while getting ready. Damn she swung ALLLLLLLLL the way back

I just caught on that she was the achey breaky heart dudes kid. Took me be surprise. She must want back in the will or something

Is there a blacker fighting game than marvel?

maxresdefault.jpg

Slayven

I can't even imagine a Dj jam fighting game today. Probably be Kid Rock, Yella Wolf, Krayshawn, Cash me outside girl, and the dude with the cane from 3rd Base

D i Z

Shit. I accidentally purchased 2 digital copies of Destiny 2 (PS4). If anybody want to purchase one from me at a discount, send a PM.

Top Bottom