• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I wouldn't even mind being given a fraction of what I spent if I could at least get something in return for removing from my account. 1300-odd games on my account. Most of them are bundle trash, but there's a good couple of hundred games (mostly indies) that I bought thinking I'd play them, and never will.

Ah, well, live and learn.

If it's indie games, then at least you supported smaller devs with that money. That's something.

MUnited83

For you.
Indiegala bundles are well worth the money if you buy them on a group buy. I think basically every one of the bundles I bought in this last year, I either broke even or profited from the amount of cards I get from those games.

Ruruja

If anybody has Gran Vitreous, I don't know why but the trading cards for that game sell quite high - I sold a normal card for 88p yesterday. Worth farming that if you haven't yet.

Maybe it was only in one bundle or something.

gngf123

header.jpg

Caladrius Blaze is out. http://store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

Wok

I more or less stopped last March as I was planning on travelling to the US, in part to catch The Crucible, but that didn't pan out and by the time I realised I wouldn't be able to comfortably afford it a bunch of things had been removed, which eliminated any interest I had in resuming.

So you couldn't travel and you missed on removed games. Double bad luck. Hobbies fighting each other... and cancelling out.

Tizoc

I was hoping to put part one up on the blog today, but it looks like we've had some news that needs to go up today, so it might have to wait until next Thursday,

Gives me more time to compile a gigantic list of games that you lads and lasses should totally consider publishing on Steam :3
For that matter, when is the earliest we will hear about your current/latest project?

Arminsc

It's so weird, I feel like buying fewer games this year for some reason, even though I have more money thanks to my job, guess I'll just spend it on MMO game time then once I get everything I want. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Feeling the same way. I bought a ton of games last year, and got a job in august. Since then I feel less inclined to buy everything that sparks my interest and focus more on what I want to play next. Maybe it has to be with me having less time to play haha

derFeef

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

t1cxE6r.gif
Warhammer: End Times Vermintide -- MB-AFDAEB2C9DA1CAB4 - Taken by rainking187
Broforce -- MB-80EB22B9BE19F804 - Taken by Kifimbo
The Escapists -- MB-EF6986FD84203EC1 - Taken by Hakkelus
The Escapists Fhurst Peak -- MB-26CD01D1CB9ADB5B - Taken by bobnowhere
Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Schluesselschloss -- MB-71D4544B9DC9BEA9 - Taken by NeoRaider
Mahlzeit!

Aracarn

Retrying...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Aracarn:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Aracarn, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Day of the Tentacle -- MB-3DE73A9DD91543EC - Taken by MadGear. 8 entrants total.
Deadbolt -- MB-FE09DCAE7F6124AE - Taken by Large Professor. 16 entrants total.
Epic Battle Fantasy 4 -- MB-11CC3DFBFFA521F4 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
N Plus Plus -- MB-21518E87541A520B - Taken by sixteen-bit. 14 entrants total.
Pony Island -- MB-AE6C6E83C8124D9D - Taken by KainXVIII. 5 entrants total.

t1484149235z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I forgot how sandbox-y Dishonored is, the problem is I feel the need to search every corner and kill everyone lol

rahji

I will never beat the 52 games challenge. I just started dark souls 2 which I bought in the steam winter sale and i nearly needed an hour to create my character and find the first bonfire. I will probably never finish this game.

Nzyme32

Is having way too many achievements something new? And it's not that are hard to unlock either

MUPv3PU.png

This is for a game called Pain Train

I quite like that there is no restrictions on how achievements are done, but your above example sounds pretty terrible and over the top of they are obsurdly easy to achieve.

The binding of Isaac rebirth / Afterbirth / Afterbirth+ is a fantastic example. Tons more achievements compared to other platforms but they all make sense and challenge the play style of those playing.

On the other side of the coin is The Witness, with only 2 achievements as the developer intended as those are the most important things that he felt were genuine achievements, while much of the games content is an obfuscated mystery to discover and solve. Meanwhile other platforms have purposefully pointless achievements to suit the platform holders forced numbers

madjoki

Is having way too many achievements something new? And it's not that are hard to unlock either

MUPv3PU.png

There's few games with tons of achievements. Recent trend is to sell cheap games with tons of achievements.

https://completionist.me/steam/games?display=grid&order=desc&sort=achievements

(seems like http://store.steampowered.com/app/575640/ will have 1700 achievements, making it "new king")

Can't help to think that most of development time went into making achievements :p

Wok

On the other side of the coin is The Witness, with only 2 achievements as the developer intended as those are the most important things that he felt were genuine achievements, while much of the games content is an obfuscated mystery to discover and solve. Meanwhile other platforms have purposefully pointless achievements to suit the platform holders forced numbers

For The Witness, I remember Jonathan saying that he did not want to have cheevos but that Sony forced him to, so he made two of them.

I believe Jonathan would have loved to do something like increpare did for SSR: no achievement, and an obfuscated description of the game as "a simple 3D puzzle game".

Ganado

MUPv3PU.png

As Enzyme32 said, it's good that there are no restrictions on achievements, but those games are just silly. Just for funsies I challenged a friend of mine on who could get the most 100% games and achievements. I was in the lead until he started to play demo games for easy 100% and games like this to boost the numbers. Shameful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just spent like 2 and half hours on the first Knives of Durnhal level... I think its going to be more than 4 hours for me lol >_>

Arthea

Did you like any other ImageEpoch games?

I honestly don't know, too many games, I end up never finding time to actually play their games and I have some. I don't want to dismiss them out of hand, after all people hate IF, and their games are fun and for the most part good.

Deques

There's few games with tons of achievements. Recent trend is to sell cheap games with tons of achievements.

https://completionist.me/steam/games?display=grid&order=desc&sort=achievements

(seems like http://store.steampowered.com/app/575640/ will have 1700 achievements, making it "new king")

Can't help to think that most of development time went into making achievements :p

Cheap and way too many achievements, eww. It's just a cheap way to increase your unlocked achievements.

I posted a video on how to create an achievement for your game a few months ago. The creation process isn't one click, so creating tons of achievements is taking a lot of unnecessary development time

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Gives me more time to compile a gigantic list of games that you lads and lasses should totally consider publishing on Steam :3
For that matter, when is the earliest we will hear about your current/latest project?

Not sure. Depends on when the contracts are all signed.

Not very helpful I know, but it's really out of our hands at the moment.

MUnited83

For you.
Cheap and way too many achievements, eww. It's just a cheap way to increase your unlocked achievements.

I posted a video on how to create an achievement for your game a few months ago. The creation process isn't one click, so creating tons of achievements is taking a lot of unnecessary development time
That really depends on the kind of achievement and what it is tracking. Achievements that rely on something as simple as the number of your level or the number of enemies killed are pretty simple. You can pretty much copy paste/automate much of the work.

Deques

That really depends on the kind of achievement and what it is tracking. Achievements that rely on something as simple as the number of your level or the number of enemies killed are pretty simple. You can pretty much copy paste/automate much of the work.

Creating achievements in the game isn't that hard and takes no effort if only copy and pasting, but creating the actual achievement and adding icons and description in Steam: that takes a lot time

Found the video I posted some months ago
https://youtu.be/Pc74zptCNFM

So y'all ready for the Nintendo Console Exclusives announced in 14ish hours' time?

Other than an official Mother 3 localization, I have no idea or possibly care what titles they will announce because I feel like it's going to be one step forward three steps back for Nintendo.

Nzyme32

So y'all ready for the Nintendo Console Exclusives announced in 14ish hours' time?

My Boggie is Rody

For The Witness, I remember Jonathan saying that he did not want to have cheevos but that Sony forced him to, so he made two of them.

I believe Jonathan would have loved to do something like increpare did for SSR: no achievement, and an obfuscated description of the game as "a simple 3D puzzle game".

No I definitely read that the PC version is as intended but Sony forced his hand to add more. The two achievements is all he felt were necessary, (he could have left none in the PC version if he wanted) . On PS4 there are more acheivements to conform to minimum spec of what sony defines for trophies. The PS4 version has the following achievements.

Platinum
Get every trophy.
Shady Trees
Activate the Shady Trees laser.
Symmetry
Activate the Symmetry laser.
Desert Ruin
Activate the Desert Ruin laser.
Treehouses
Activate the Treehouse laser.
Keep
Activate the Keep laser.
Quarry
Activate the Quarry laser
Marsh
Activate the Marsh laser.
Jungle
Activate the Jungle laser.
Monastery
Activate the Monastery laser.
Bunker
Activate the Bunker laser.
Town
Activate the Town laser.
Endgame
Reach the end. Story-related
Challenge
Complete a certain challenge.

MUnited83

For you.
Who cares about Switch when we have GPD Win
Creating achievements in the game isn't that hard and takes no effort if only copy and pasting, but creating the actual achievement and adding icons and description in Steam: that takes a lot time

Found the video I posted some months ago
https://youtu.be/Pc74zptCNFM
I've seen that video before. Nothing in that video is particularly hard to automate, especially if your achievements rely on simple things like levels completed or enemies killed. I know almost nothing about programming and even I could pump out a crapload of terrible achievements easily :p. The thing that takes the most time would be doing all the images for the icons, but you can pump out a bunch of crappy ones in a couple of days. Hell, I think Steam even allows you to use the same image for every achievement (at least I recall such a game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom