• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

finally picked it up today, so far i don't really like it. what do I do with components I pick up? sell'em all or is there some special ones I should hold on to

dralla said:
finally picked it up today, so far i don't really like it. what do I do with components I pick up? sell'em all or is there some special ones I should hold on to

Just keep them all - they'll come into use later.

Most sell for practically nothing anyways and there isn't much to buy either.

luxarific said:
Dude, that takes forever - I'd much rather just run down some stairs/go through a door to reroll a turtle.
It doesn't take long at all. Start -> select brings you to the title menu, just reload the save from there. Takes about 20 secs tops.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
Just sell stuff that says "Sells for premium" in the description.

Sell:

Credit Chip
Incentive Chip
Cactuar Doll
Moogle Puppet
Tonberry Figurine
Plush Chocobo
Gold Dust
Gold Nugget
Platinum Ingot
Moonblossom Seed
Starblossom Seed
Malodorous Fruit
Gloomstalk
Sunpetal
Succulent Fruit
Malodorous Fruit
Green Needle

As well as any % elemental protection accessories, they really don't serve much of a purpose.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
badcrumble said:
As well as any % elemental protection accessories, they really don't serve much of a purpose.
Really? Helped me a bunch for mission 62.

burgerdog

luxarific said:
Ooh, will try that tonight. I definitely have to kill the juggernaut(s) to get the turtle to respawn?

Dude, that takes forever - I'd much rather just run down some stairs/go through a door to reroll a turtle.
There's 2 humbabas -> juggernaut -> humbaba -> juggernaut(kill this one). Or kill that entire set and have the easiest walk back and forth ever.

Yoshichan said:
Really? Helped me a bunch for mission 62.
I believe he's referring to the all-purpose Entite Rings (not the ones that protect against individual elements)... do they help out at all there?

Instead of selling them, I would instead recommend upgrading/dismantling them for Ribbons.

badcrumble said:
It doesn't take long at all. Start -> select brings you to the title menu, just reload the save from there. Takes about 20 secs tops.

I am going to start doing that soon too, almost max all spheres.

leng jai said:
The boss at the end of chapter 11 is absolutely atrocious. 30 minute boss fights should be banned, especially if the first 25 minutes are a formality and the last few minutes based on pure luck.

Also, does anyone else button mash X during battle animations even though its obviously unnecessary.

If you spent 30 minutes in the boss of end of chapter 11, you're doing it wrong.

I spent 12 minutes, without any leveling or hunting, with level1 weapons, using Light, Hope, Fang.

1.- RAV/SYN/SEN (or MED/SYN/SEN), until hope gives the team the support pack (Veil, Protect, Shell, Bravery, Faith).
2.- RAV/RAV/COM and MED/RAV/COM (when needed), until knockout (bravery and faith will help to do a lot of damage, protect and shell will make you keep the RAV/RAV/COM most of time).
3.- During 2/3 of knockout, RAV/RAV/COM
4.- The last 1/3 of knockout, MED/SYN/SAB to heal the damage received during the previous step, restock buffs and enter debuffs (Slow and 2 others that I don't remember)
5.- When knockout is out, go to 2.

In the last part, when he make the ultra-debuff magic, use Dispelga, and go to 1.

Thrakier

I'm in chapter 11 and don't like it. It's boring. I'm running around for hours in a green level getting raped by 75% of the enemys. Please, give me a aim, something to do besides running from point a to b.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BertramCooper said:
Grinding my way through Chapter 9.

Does this fucking chapter ever end? As soon as I think I'm almost done, it just keeps going.

When you finally get the ability to choose your own party you're near the end.

Thrakier said:
I'm in chapter 11 and don't like it. It's boring. I'm running around for hours in a green level getting raped by 75% of the enemys. Please, give me a aim, something to do besides running from point a to b.
Start on the dogs and flans and work your way up to other, more imposing enemies once you can dispatch those pretty quickly. Also, do the missions because the entire point of the early ones is to give you an aim while you're in chapter 11 (they're way too easy to be meant for chapter 13).

Replicant

badcrumble said:
Sell:

Credit Chip
Incentive Chip
Cactuar Doll
Moogle Puppet
Tonberry Figurine
Plush Chocobo
Gold Dust
Gold Nugget
Platinum Ingot
Moonblossom Seed
Starblossom Seed
Malodorous Fruit
Gloomstalk
Sunpetal
Succulent Fruit
Malodorous Fruit
Green Needle

Oooh, thanks for that. I was wondering if I should keep or sell my Moogle puppet.

MrDenny

burgerdog said:
WTF? Do I have to farm mission 64 to get another ribbon? I only have one and if i upgrade it I won't be able hold all items at once since I'll be down a ribbon with a super ribbon in hand.

I actually don't understand the treasure hunter trophy. Do I need to hold every item in the game at once or just simply having it at one point works?
You only need the items at one point.
Don't need to hold all the items at the same time.
You can get a ribbon by maxing out goddess favor and then dismantling it.
If you don't have a goddess favor, you can buy an entite ring from sanctums lab and upgrade it to a goddess favor using a uraninite.

BertramCooper said:
Grinding my way through Chapter 9.

Does this fucking chapter ever end? As soon as I think I'm almost done, it just keeps going.

I loved the fights with the Women soldier people, they were interesting fights. Flanitors were a different story. Anyway, that chapter has my favorite cutscene and boss fight!

Canti

Finally down to tackling the last 2 trophies (all items + all 5 star missions). Is it worth attempting one first over the other? Any tips for these final 2 (aside from lots o' farming)?

MrDenny

Question about Vanille's Brand.
She had a focus 500 years ago, and then she got branded again at the vestige.
Does she have two brands or was she just rebranded?

MrDenny said:

I think it was that she had a brand, the focus was partially fulfilled but they failed then they were crystallized. Then upon reawakening, it was reinvigorated. Thats what I gathered after finishing the game.

jiggle

MrDenny said:

it was the original brand. she lied about being branded the same time as everyone.

MrDenny said:

Rebranded but same focus. She was branded immediately after her decrystalization though.

BeeDog said:
Alright, chapter 11 is pissing me off because of my crapness. Pretty much any enemy type rapes me in the face, so I said fuck it and started wandering towards the quest marker. In that small area, those Hoplites aren't giving me too much trouble, but the Boxed Phalanx that spawn an insane amount of Hoplites completely obliterate me. :( Any suggestions on what I should do?

Did you get past this yet? I actually just walked past him altogether - if you walk past the two hoplites, he will turn and let you run past. I only did 5 of the challenges before moving on
with the story. I did grind hoplites in the caverns for a while (easy preemptive) and then the sixth floor of the tower because I felt underpowered in those places. Got through the rest of the game without a ton of trouble

jiggle said:
it was the original brand. she lied about being branded the same time as everyone.

If you notice before the rest get branded they only have 2 ATB bars, only getting their 3rd when they become L'Cie, but Vanille has 3 from the getgo.

gamelova

6 hours into Gran Pulse. Damn this game gets harder and harder the farther along you get. Other than the graphics and music, the battle system and challenge are reasons to play this game. The story is so broken its not even funny, and the characters(except Lightning) are shitty. The writing is also atrocious, some of the worst I have ever seen in a videogame. Still though, the combat system is really deep, fast paced, and more cinematic looking than any other RPG in history, it really does keep your blood pumping and you'll be sweating bullets at the games tougher battles.

Die Squirrel Die said:
If you notice before the rest get branded they only have 2 ATB bars, only getting their 3rd when they become L'Cie, but Vanille has 3 from the getgo.

She also conveniently knew where her brand was without having to look around

Magnus

Die Squirrel Die said:

That's...an amazing, acute little observation. I'm actually a little surprised Square threw in that detail if it's true.

Here comes a stupid question, three days after beating the game: is it actually possible to see your non-leader member's ATB gauges anywhere? :lol Or did you just watch how many abilities she used per turn?

Akainu

icarus-daedelus said:
Well, 12 was plenty open, but for the most part exploration was unsatisfying because it didn't lead to anything interesting other than a few random chests lying around. And that after soooo much walking.
What? Are you talking about FF 12? When I randomly walked around in FF 12 I ended up in ruins, ran into deeper parts of dungeons and random bosses. What are you talking about?

Magnus said:
That's...an amazing, acute little observation. I'm actually a little surprised Square threw in that detail if it's true.

Here comes a stupid question, three days after beating the game: is it actually possible to see your non-leader member's ATB gauges anywhere? :lol Or did you just watch how many abilities she used per turn?

You can see the each party members ATB level in the Status screen or the Crystarium screen.

I noticed it when playing as her in Chapter 2. Since she's the first person you use I thought it was a chapter progression thing, until it switched to Snow and Lightning sections.
I didn't realise why that was the case until much later.

Husker86

Diablos said:
Ch. 10 boss question:

How the hell do I beat
Cid Raines?! WTF

I just went all out when he was in healing/guard mode (com/rav/rav), I think I did delta attack (com/sen/rav) or solidarity (com/sen/med) when he was in attack mode...of course combat clinic when health gets too low. Basically what I have found with bosses is to not "play it safe", go for damage as much as possible. I have never ran into a doom timer on any boss with this approach.

I can't remember exactly, but I know the AoE devasting move he does follows his guard stance and it's pretty easy to see when it's coming. If you're at medium health then preemptively switch to combat clinic, if your health is all green then just stay in com/rav/rav until he uses the move.

Akainu said:
What? Are you talking about FF 12? When I randomly walked around in FF 12 I ended up in ruins, ran into deeper parts of dungeons and random bosses. What are you talking about?

Unless they mean walking around the city streets and that city plaza though even then it wasnt as open as Chapter 11.

Uhm, how the hell am I supposed to be able to beat
Barth? I took out all of the heads
and staggered him, used my summon and that only took out about a quarter of his health. Then I had almost staggered him again and he used Destrudo (sp?) and it reset the stagger bar and afterwards killed my entire party in one hit. WTF?!

I'm using Lightning, Snow, and Hope.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
badcrumble said:

Takes me 1:28 to do the door reset (running to the door, going through, running back).

Takes me 1:26 to run to the save point next to the now gone and drop-less turtle, save my current game (to preserve the drop I did get prior to this drop-less turtle), quit, navigate to the load option, load my save, sit through the scrolling text screen (the A option only comes up after half the text has scrolled), and then I'm back at the new turtle.

Load times must be different on the PS3 version, I guess.

Also, I tried killing the 2nd Juggernaut, no new turtle. :(

dramatis

Diablos said:
Ch. 10 boss question:

How the hell do I beat
Cid Raines?! WTF

Who are you using? You can beat him in various ways, but I recommend a tank and debuffing. That boss battle was more of an endurance battle than anything really challenging.

IronFistedChampion said:
Barth? I took out all of the heads and staggered him, used my summon and that only took out about a quarter of his health. Then I had almost staggered him again and he used Destrudo (sp?)
and it reset the stagger bar and afterwards killed my entire party in one hit. WTF?!

Hit him when he's charging for that attack, it'll reduce the damage. Don't concentrate so heavily on reaching Stagger, sometimes if you just balance surviving and attacking you get there eventually.

Don't bother using the summon unless you're in desperate straits.

B.K.

I've got a question about crystallization.
When Serah became a crystal, why did she literally turn to crystal, but when Dazh became one, it just looks like he's stuck inside one?

Synless

B.K. said:
When Serah became a crystal, why did she literally turn to crystal, but when Dazh became one, it just looks like he's stuck inside one?
I wondered this too.

jiggle

maybe because
they didnt' want to recreate his character model

or

afraid that showing a child in such a cyrstalized state might upset some ppl

or

he only completed half of his task? he didn't find fang?

Pooya

someone help me with mission 62 please, this one is killing me :p.
it's the mission with two Rakavijas.

B.K. said:
He is a child, they didn't want to show him in crystal form probably.

IronFistedChampion said:
Barth? I took out all of the heads
and staggered him, used my summon and that only took out about a quarter of his health. Then I had almost staggered him again and he used Destrudo (sp?) and it reset the stagger bar and afterwards killed my entire party in one hit. WTF?!

Relentless Assault to stagger, Relentless Assault should be the default after giving your team all of the buffs. Heal using Renew, and use Combat Clinic when the boss should be able to attack or end his staggering phase. The goal is to just go as fast as possible with damaging the boss as well as getting to the stagger point and doing damage then. For me, healing was always last resort as Renew is pretty great with healing, and combat clinic heals adequate for the boss painfully devastating attacks.

Target time should be 8 or so minutes if I remember, so it isnt in reality a difficult fight.

( I did it with Light, Hope, and Fang, though I assume Snow is interchangable with Fang so both should usually act as a Sentinel and a Commander)

Dedication Through Light said:
Relentless Assault to stagger, Relentless Assault should be the default after giving your team all of the buffs. Heal using Renew, and use Combat Clinic when the boss should be able to attack or end his staggering phase. The goal is to just go as fast as possible with damaging the boss as well as getting to the stagger point and doing damage then. For me, healing was always last resort as Renew is pretty great with healing, and combat clinic heals adequate for the boss painfully devastating attacks.

Target time should be 8 or so minutes if I remember, so it isnt in reality a difficult fight.

( I did it with Light, Hope, and Fang, though I assume Snow is interchangable with Fang so both should usually act as a Sentinel and a Commander)
My Lightning doesn't have Renew and using Combat Clinic is pointless as she's a Lvl.1 MED. Only Hope and Snow have Renew, but they can't use it because I'm controlling Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom