• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Koren

High tide grillers is a fucking nightmare i hate it.
High tide shouldn't change things much... Even help timing. People need to know the places where you can, by using a wall, make a griller do back-and-forth motion. Like the small ledge behind the basket in Outpost.

Once you can control their motion, you just have to be careful to smallfry, and they're easy targets.

Jintor

famitsu just announced (well, 4 hrs ago) the sound ost 2 and artbook. not a huge surprise but there you go

DKE0M7lUIAUV7WM.jpg

NathanS

I main Enperries but because of curling bombs, not because of the inkjet. There's plently of special I would prefer, such as baller since the buff (it now pack some power...)

I mean there will always be people who don't fall into the norm, but I'm talking over all trend. Still the point still stands is the Dualies are so far not the most compelling part of any Dualie kit.

Which is a shame, I want to love them for them, but so far the high RNG and low damage have been too harsh compared to how predictable the dodge roll has proven to be.

Brellas have been the same so far, really cool idea, but the actual execution have not lived up to it yet. Hopefully the Tenta Brella will be a step up from the Splat Brella.

13ruce

Banned
Oh shit those V-Neck shirts are available @ KOG/Editmode. Damn rip wallet:p Final 2 Splatoon shirts i order when my paycheck is in....

And maybe that Skyblue Squid eye shirt lol.
No more games this year for me well my backlog is huge anyway...

(Mario etc is pre ordered)

After this i have 7 Splatoon shirts lol....:p

Kinokou

Isn't there a consensus that superjumping in ranked is kind of a no no? In B rank tower control it seems to be half the meta and it's kind of working for the other team.

Kalor

Isn't there a consensus that superjumping in ranked is kind of a no no? In B rank tower control it seems to be half the meta and it's kind of working for the other team.

I wouldn't say it's a no no. As long as you're careful and don't land right where an enemy is then it's usually fine.

backlot

It is usually a no no but it has become the meta because most ranked players don't know what they're doing.

phanphare

Banned

in Splat Zones it's always a no no for me

in Tower Control and Rainmaker to keep a push going I'm pulling up the map to scope out the situation and if I've got 2 or 3 teammates and a lot of my ink around them I'm jumping

Regiruler

Is splat zones really that different from S1? Super Jumping can pretty consistently save a second if you jump to someone attacking the zone from a distance.

BenN

So from a few pages back...I have made the switch to a AUS/NZ (my region) copy of splatoon 2 and restarted. Have not seen any real difference in matchmaking quality ...in turf war at least.

Made it to ranked again, which I love...but can't seem to get into any games...maybe 3 matches over 2 nights, otherwise its all time outs. Really frustrating, as with my euro copy there weren't near this many time outs with ranked mode...had no real problems with ranked matches besides my lack of skill.

I made the switch due to splatfests being region locked for matchmaking, so hopefully that still works out better then my euro version...but for now its really annoying trying to play ranked mode (especially because my game time is super limited).

Is there any kind of region locking happening in ranked, or different ping priorities for ranked mode as compared to turn war? (i.e last night I could get into a turn war match within seconds, but ranked just timed out constantly).

Still love the game but spending more time watching a countdown timer (in ranked) than actually playing is terrible.

Koren

in Splat Zones it's always a no no for me
I can't see why it's such a hard rule if you're careful...

I've seen it use efficiently in attack, too (with splahdown at impact) but I guess in ranked people are careful and stay away from arrival points...

I wish I was having fun with this game. It's so creative and colorful. But I can't hit anything, I feel like the time-to-kill is way too quick, and certain weapons are way too powerful or unbalanced.

Maybe it's just not my kind of game.

Wiseblade

I wish I was having fun with this game. It's so creative and colorful. But I can't hit anything, I feel like the time-to-kill is way too quick, and certain weapons are way too powerful or unbalanced.

Maybe it's just not my kind of game.
The game is SUPER built around flanking and stealth attacks as opposed to direct combat. Most successful engagements are about getting the drop on someone for 2/3 of a second and splating them before they can react. Even straightforward 1v1s are about using the environment to get into the opponent's blind spot long enough to seal the deal.

Mediking

Finally found my Aerospray successor...

Behold... the Custom Splattershot Jr. Its special isnt as good but I can kill far quicker and easier.

Koren

man, progressing in S rank is slowwww
Well, I only reached S yesterday (TC).

I'm so bad in ranked... (well, average, to be honest... there's plently of people worse than me, but I'm still awful at 1 vs 1)

Maybe I should mostly play SR, at least I'm consistently good there.

Branduil

What is with people who refuse to attack the splat zone even when the timer is counting down to zero for the other team. Why are you painting shit in our zone. What is wrong with you.

Koren

What is with people who refuse to attack the splat zone even when the timer is counting down to zero for the other team. Why are you painting shit in our zone. What is wrong with you.
The same as when someone is painting the enemy respawn point when his three teammates are trying to avoid the enemy to do the last 10 meters in rainmaker...

In a lot of cases, the behavior of some players doesn't make any sense, that's mind blowing... But well...

jg4xchamp

Been playing the campaign before I dive into a multiplayer binge for a few weeks. And my opinion has swung from "this is meh" to "this isn't too shabby" from the first 2 sectors I've completed, to the latest two sectors I've completed.

Impressions after first 2 sectors:

I'm really underwhelmed because of the lack of difficulty, feels like nothing really keeps me honest in this game. Like I accept that Nintendo makes games that are for kids as their primary demo, that appealed to an older seasoned gamer because of good ol fashioned tried n true quality game mechanics. But, I still find the game being a pushover, stops me from really getting into any sort of flow of enthusiasm about what I'm doing. More just rolling through levels to get this off my backlog because I have an OCD about that shit.

Some of it is also tied to the mechanics themselves. Like functionally Splatoon has a shoot, swim (which is how you reload your gun), a jump, a grenade button. You don't really switch weapon, as you run the one gun through a level, and the games levels work somewhere between a shooter stage and a platformer style obstacle course, but all of it is so linear. Like I appreciate the constant wrinkles, but when there isn't much room for figuring anything out, but just shoot the sponge to get my next point, or shoot the propellers to make the platform come to me. I'm not exactly engaged.

So when you tie that into the action game part of the experience, besides the part where enemies aren't really aggressive or overwhelming in enemy count n really testing your ability to shoot n swim a bunch, the fact they use projectiles (mostly, snipers are a bit different) that are easy to dodge, in a game where I have regen health, when I never run out of ammo, is kind of boring.

And I don't think their solution to Splatoon 1's one gun issue for the campaign, by just having "the roller level", "the sniper level" is that interesting of a concept. You don't have any sort of long term consequences since your gun never can run out of ammo (you have infinite ammo, you just gotta reload), you don't worry about managing health, and you're just doing one weapon for level. Like that set up is great in the multiplayer environment, where that set up works beautiful with other people bringing in their own loadouts. But in Solo play it just feels limiting on the action front, with the obstacle courses being too rigid for their own good. I wish there was more room for experimentation or multiple solutions.

Impressions after sector 3 n 4 have been completed.

So I still stand by my mechanical complaints, and how easy (the only game over screen I've seen is when I killed myself 3 times just to test out to see if the game makes you start the level from the beginning) the game is. But eh, in typical Nintendo fashion they've sort of won me over the further I've gotten in. They've leveraged their novelties n level gimmicks well, and pairing them nicely in ways I wasn't actually expecting. I still dread anytime I have to use the sniper, but all in all I've definitely dug sector 3 n 4 levels to what I played in the first two.

I still think there might be some fine tuning with some of the core mechanics to add a bit more to the mechanics in single player, but by that point you change it from what was in multiplayer. Boss fights have been whatever, but I expect a banger of a final boss stage.

Branduil

Damn, one game away from a perfect run to 1200.

I will never understand why people refuse to use their fucking specials when it's obvious we have no chance of meeting the quota if they don't.

Ogodei

I never super jumped in Splat Zones in Splatoon 1 either with few exceptions

It's rarely worth it in Splat Zones or Turf War. Splatoon 2 at least has Splashdown which changes the calculus a bit (with or without stealth jump. One baits them in, the other makes sure the enemy has no idea what's coming until they hear the whoosh sound).

Regiruler

Been playing the campaign before I dive into a multiplayer binge for a few weeks. And my opinion has swung from "this is meh" to "this isn't too shabby" from the first 2 sectors I've completed, to the latest two sectors I've completed.

Impressions after first 2 sectors:

I'm really underwhelmed because of the lack of difficulty, feels like nothing really keeps me honest in this game. Like I accept that Nintendo makes games that are for kids as their primary demo, that appealed to an older seasoned gamer because of good ol fashioned tried n true quality game mechanics. But, I still find the game being a pushover, stops me from really getting into any sort of flow of enthusiasm about what I'm doing. More just rolling through levels to get this off my backlog because I have an OCD about that shit.

Some of it is also tied to the mechanics themselves. Like functionally Splatoon has a shoot, swim (which is how you reload your gun), a jump, a grenade button. You don't really switch weapon, as you run the one gun through a level, and the games levels work somewhere between a shooter stage and a platformer style obstacle course, but all of it is so linear. Like I appreciate the constant wrinkles, but when there isn't much room for figuring anything out, but just shoot the sponge to get my next point, or shoot the propellers to make the platform come to me. I'm not exactly engaged.

So when you tie that into the action game part of the experience, besides the part where enemies aren't really aggressive or overwhelming in enemy count n really testing your ability to shoot n swim a bunch, the fact they use projectiles (mostly, snipers are a bit different) that are easy to dodge, in a game where I have regen health, when I never run out of ammo, is kind of boring.

And I don't think their solution to Splatoon 1's one gun issue for the campaign, by just having "the roller level", "the sniper level" is that interesting of a concept. You don't have any sort of long term consequences since your gun never can run out of ammo (you have infinite ammo, you just gotta reload), you don't worry about managing health, and you're just doing one weapon for level. Like that set up is great in the multiplayer environment, where that set up works beautiful with other people bringing in their own loadouts. But in Solo play it just feels limiting on the action front, with the obstacle courses being too rigid for their own good. I wish there was more room for experimentation or multiple solutions.

Impressions after sector 3 n 4 have been completed.

So I still stand by my mechanical complaints, and how easy (the only game over screen I've seen is when I killed myself 3 times just to test out to see if the game makes you start the level from the beginning) the game is. But eh, in typical Nintendo fashion they've sort of won me over the further I've gotten in. They've leveraged their novelties n level gimmicks well, and pairing them nicely in ways I wasn't actually expecting. I still dread anytime I have to use the sniper, but all in all I've definitely dug sector 3 n 4 levels to what I played in the first two.

I still think there might be some fine tuning with some of the core mechanics to add a bit more to the mechanics in single player, but by that point you change it from what was in multiplayer. Boss fights have been whatever, but I expect a banger of a final boss stage.
Arr you going for the squid rings and all the collectibles?

You want to roll with it more than anything. Flicking it in either direction isn't worth it, but rolling into enemies will kill all the mob types instantly. Save the flicks for bosses.

But it's still garbo.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The Dynamo is suffering.

First time I've dropped to Go Getter in a long, long while.

bonesquad

Finally played the new level today. Good stuff, but people were not kidding about the bombs. Bombs everywhere in TW these days...

The Dynamo roller can be fun in SR during a Goldie hunt. Get in front of it and run it down... golden eggs galore. But otherwise the damn thing runs out of ink so fast.

I also see they did not quite fix the disconnects. One round started 4 vs 2, and the two didn't last long before we were left standing around waiting for the clock to run out....

I kinda wish there was an easier way to see Grillers coming. Just so you know there's one coming from the right or left or something. Like the Rainmaker markers for the Maker / Goal. I keep getting blindsided as I'm taking eggs back or dealing with Small Fray when suddenly WHAM.

I pray to god I'm teaching some of these people how to fish instead of just feeding them when I use the Stingray at the correct time on Mothership rounds (when you hear the engine rev, not just when it's right on top of the egg catcher) or use the roller during Glowfly rounds. I actually saw someone do that one round! It was amazing!

...and then we lost round 3 due to 5 Flyfish on high tide...

What a great enemy!

EDIT: Why is Tower Control kicking my ass every time??

HeroR

I just had my best Salmon Run yet!

Got all the way to 160% on Professional in Freelance. I don't know what happened, but I got into some good teams and we won like five matches in a row and tie on the ones we lost. Feels good.

jg4xchamp

Arr you going for the squid rings and all the collectibles?

The sardines n shit yeah. A lot of them aren't exactly any specific side challenge or anything, as much as they can be hidden to the side in a blind spot for some less perceptive, or there is an optional sequence you need to trigger.

About the neatest thing I can think of that was done with one of them was one of the sardines was only achievable from this moving platform with sponges on them. But only for a certain window, as if the larger platform went past it, you were sol. And you had to pull it off while dealing with multiple enemies shooting at you. Simple, but I actually was engaged during that sequence since there were some moments of risk n reward.

I don't really feel the game has done too many interesting stuff like that.

Ogodei

What's the consensus, Splat-GAF. Do we think that climbing the ranks is now mechanically easier than it was in Splatoon 1? E.g. that a player of the same skill level would have an easier time climbing up ranked than in the old game?

That's certainly the case with me. It's hard to tell though because i feel more in-control of a lot of my winning matches compared to Splatoon 1, where a lot of the ranked matches in the A-range just felt like me hanging on for dear life and hoping things would come out okay, but I also reached S in three modes far, far faster than it took me to reach S in Splatoon 1 (which was nearly a year's worth of work, albeit playing in short, weeklong bursts after the first 6 weeks).

Here i hit the S-trifecta in two months flat.

phanphare

Banned
What's the consensus, Splat-GAF. Do we think that climbing the ranks is now mechanically easier than it was in Splatoon 1? E.g. that a player of the same skill level would have an easier time climbing up ranked than in the old game?

That's certainly the case with me. It's hard to tell though because i feel more in-control of a lot of my winning matches compared to Splatoon 1, where a lot of the ranked matches in the A-range just felt like me hanging on for dear life and hoping things would come out okay, but I also reached S in three modes far, far faster than it took me to reach S in Splatoon 1 (which was nearly a year's worth of work, albeit playing in short, weeklong bursts after the first 6 weeks).

Here i hit the S-trifecta in two months flat.

anecdotal but I actually hit S rank in Splat Zones after having a hard A+ ceiling in the first game

StAidan

The ranking system in this game is definitely built to propel almost everyone upward to S+, as long as you put in the time to get there. And even in S+ you can maintain your rank with like a 20-25% win rate, which would have been unheard of before.

I don't like it.

Top Bottom