• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The dub is back, starting with Episode 27.
Steve Jaws retains his name from the Japanese version.
Matenshi became K'mon-K'mon (though that was already revealed months ago in Wibble Wobble)

Dragoshi1

To add on to that, they edited in the yo-motion medals, and gave a new explanation for the type zero watch, old medals will just play the jingle associated with the yo-kai.

BatDan

Dub writer David H. Steinberg confirms more localization names

Mr. Movien is now Directator
Unchikuma is now Poofessor.

Poofessor is a brilliant localization.

To add on to that, they edited in the yo-motion medals, and gave a new explanation for the type zero watch, old medals will just play the jingle associated with the yo-kai.

Checking the original Japanese, and you're right. That's actually a smart move considering this was essentially a big toy tie-in episode. It's not often that the toys and the show match. There's even a TVTropes article about it.
EDIT: Right here (TVTropes warning as per usual)

Meffer

So can someone in the know tell me the differences between Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls? I'm trying to decide which version to get.

Some Yokai are exclusive to which version you get and the versions depends which faction you side with in the story but it's very minor when it comes to that. That's all I know when I played the Japanese version. Bony Spirits is Ganso and Fleshy Souls is Honke.

Impotaku

LOL knew it, totally called that sucker from a mile off.
J4IReiv.png

Looks like the gun is used to power up the medals for the wind element god youkai. Seems like only the rock element is tied to the gashapon/arcade machine, looks pretty good like it was plucked straight from the game.

Bladenic

So I'm set on Bony Spirits for the most part. HOWEVER, Fleshy Souls has Sailor Moon JIBANYAN that I desperately want, is digital the only way to get her? That would supremely suck. Also, the trailer for the game says a save from the first gives you Yo-Kai but showed three including a new (?) JIBANYAN. Do you choose, get all three, or is it random?

Impotaku

So I'm set on Bony Spirits for the most part. HOWEVER, Fleshy Souls has Sailor Moon JIBANYAN that I desperately want, is digital the only way to get her? That would supremely suck. Also, the trailer for the game says a save from the first gives you Yo-Kai but showed three including a new (?) JIBANYAN. Do you choose, get all three, or is it random?

Unless they change something Sailornyan is only available if you get the digital version or trade with someone who got the digital version.

I'm going to guess you mean Buchinyan the one that's a combined form of whisper & jibanyan, the coin that you get given can be used to get any of the 3 you can choose which one you want when you put it in the gashapon machine but if you select buchinyan you don't lose your jibanyan you have you still get him back.

Meffer

Unless they change something Sailornyan is only available if you get the digital version or trade with someone who got the digital version.

I'm going to guess you mean Buchinyan the one that's a combined form of whisper & jibanyan, the coin that you get given can be used to get any of the 3 you can choose which one you want when you put it in the gashapon machine but if you select buchinyan you don't lose your jibanyan you have you still get him back.

Yup, there's a special cutscene and nothing changes for Jibanyan. He'll be still in your possession and will be involved in the story. I don't think you need to beat the first game for the save file to work.
And nah, Impotaku, what you get from which version physical or digital is the same.

Impotaku

And nah, Impotaku, what you get from which version physical or digital is the same.

Not in The Japanese version, sailornyan was digital exclusive. You needed to enter the one time use code that you get from the reciept of your digital version on the eshop. When you register the code in the game it then connects to the eshop and downloads the special bell item that makes the game activate the flag to make sailornyan appear to try & capture.

Like i said i have no idea if they have messed about with the way they were obtained but that's how it originally was obtained.

Bladenic

But nobody would want to trade an exclusive Yo-Kai :((( and I feel that if they changed it to be included with physical copies.

Impotaku

But nobody would want to trade an exclusive Yo-Kai :((( and I feel that if they changed it to be included with physical copies.

They can be obtained many times, when you fight & eventually befriend them they still stay in the same place to battle again. You'd just have to keep battling & repeat to get more.

Meffer

Not in The Japanese version, sailornyan was digital exclusive. You needed to enter the one time use code that you get from the reciept of your digital version on the eshop. When you register the code in the game it then connects to the eshop and downloads the special bell item that makes the game activate the flag to make sailornyan appear to try & capture.

Like i said i have no idea if they have messed about with the way they were obtained but that's how it originally was obtained.

No no, I meant as what you get is the same as the what you got in the japanese versions and what format.

Bladenic

They can be obtained many times, when you fight & eventually befriend them they still stay in the same place to battle again. You'd just have to keep battling & repeat to get more.

Oh thank Jesus. Hopefully people on gaf will be playing and willing to trade. There are some Fleshy Souls exclusives I want too. But definitely want Sailor Moon over a Robonyan reskin

Curiousity got the best of me and I would like a few questions answered.

1. Apparently the first game has 223 and the second game has a total of 448? What is the grand total as of the third main game?
2. Is it likely there will be a 4th main Yo-Kai Watch game?
3. Just bought the first game just how much better is 2 overall? I hear it's literally the Gold/Silver/Crystal of this series and Gen 2 was my fav Pokemon generation.

Meffer

Curiousity got the best of me and I would like a few questions answered.

1. Apparently the first game has 223 and the second game has a total of 448? What is the grand total as of the third main game?
2. Is it likely there will be a 4th main Yo-Kai Watch game?
3. Just bought the first game just how much better is 2 overall? I hear it's literally the Gold/Silver/Crystal of this series and Gen 2 was my fav Pokemon generation.

1. I don't recall the number for both 1 and 2 but there is a decent amount for both and 3 has even more.
2. I don't see why there wouldn't be.
3. Yes, 2 is the better game with just how much content and improvement it has. The comparison that 2 is the equivalent of Gold/Sliver for Pokemon is well deserved.

Theorymon

So now that Yokai Watch 2 is available for preload, I gotta ask you vets (especially Preying Shark): Which version has the best Yokai for competitive play? With Battle Spot shutting down late October, Im gonna need a mons game to suplement my Pokemon Showdown battling, and I think this will hit the spot!

I just don't know which version has the most broken Yokai though, since that will determine which I preload!

So now that Yokai Watch 2 is available for preload, I gotta ask you vets (especially Preying Shark): Which version has the best Yokai for competitive play? With Battle Spot shutting down late October, Im gonna need a mons game to suplement my Pokemon Showdown battling, and I think this will hit the spot!

I just don't know which version has the most broken Yokai though, since that will determine which I preload!
Digital version of the equivalent of Ganso (Bony Spirits I think). The reason for Digital is so that you can get as many Robonyan F souls as you need.

Main reason is that Ganso has Slimamander. A good starter team I recommend is a tank, Slimamander, the blue guy, and three Rain Women in the back. You'll basically slaughter most players at first. Front row should be tank|Blue guy|Slimamander so you can have both the blue guy and one of the rain women hold souls that boost Slimamander's stats (blue guy will also boost the tank's stats). The rain woman next to the tank should preferably be holding one of the souls that heals nearby teammates. The tank should be holding the Taunting Soul that makes it so that everybody attacks it. The rain woman that's in the back center should just be holding the soul that makes it so that nobody loafs off.

That team basically just slaughters anybody who doesn't really know what they're doing. I'll be getting the game too though so... :3

Aside from that, you also get a little green guy that can evolve into a blonde guy. He's good. I can't remember why he's good, but he's good. I'll figure out why he's good later when I grab my guide and see what he does again. There's also the short bald monk that does something but I can't remember what he does either. Oops.

Finally, if we get Shin'uchi, you need Ganso to link up with it in order to get the red oni. He's dumb. He doesn't care about guarding and also has very high attack so you need to make sure you have a way to deal with the fucker. At the same time Ganso owners would be able to get Jibanyan S who's a pretty rad yo-kai

The other version has Ooga- Oh, I'm sorry, TOADAL DUDE. He's a good support Yo-Kai; IIRC his ability is that if somebody's about to die and he can survive the blow he'll take the hit instead. There are a couple other Yo-Kai from that game with good niches, but really the only reason to go Honke for competitive is to get Toadal Dude easier. But if you have time on your hands you can blaze through Bony Spirits with some high-level Yo-Kai you trade over (I can help if needed) to a secondary save file (three save files! L5 does what Nintendon't). Then you get another Slimamander and can just try to trade that for one if you really want Toadal Dude.

Bladenic

Digital version of the equivalent of Ganso (Bony Spirits I think). The reason for Digital is so that you can get as many Robonyan F souls as you need.

Main reason is that Ganso has Slimamander. A good starter team I recommend is a tank, Slimamander, the blue guy, and three Rain Women in the back. You'll basically slaughter most players at first. Front row should be tank|Blue guy|Slimamander so you can have both the blue guy and one of the rain women hold souls that boost Slimamander's stats (blue guy will also boost the tank's stats). The rain woman next to the tank should preferably be holding one of the souls that heals nearby teammates. The tank should be holding the Taunting Soul that makes it so that everybody attacks it. The rain woman that's in the back center should just be holding the soul that makes it so that nobody loafs off.

That team basically just slaughters anybody who doesn't really know what they're doing. I'll be getting the game too though so... :3

Aside from that, you also get a little green guy that can evolve into a blonde guy. He's good. I can't remember why he's good, but he's good. I'll figure out why he's good later when I grab my guide and see what he does again. There's also the short bald monk that does something but I can't remember what he does either. Oops.

Finally, if we get Shin'uchi, you need Ganso to link up with it in order to get the red oni. He's dumb. He doesn't care about guarding and also has very high attack so you need to make sure you have a way to deal with the fucker. At the same time Ganso owners would be able to get Jibanyan S who's a pretty rad yo-kai

The other version has Ooga- Oh, I'm sorry, TOADAL DUDE. He's a good support Yo-Kai; IIRC his ability is that if somebody's about to die and he can survive the blow he'll take the hit instead. There are a couple other Yo-Kai from that game with good niches, but really the only reason to go Honke for competitive is to get Toadal Dude easier. But if you have time on your hands you can blaze through Bony Spirits with some high-level Yo-Kai you trade over (I can help if needed) to a secondary save file (three save files! L5 does what Nintendon't). Then you get another Slimamander and can just try to trade that for one if you really want Toadal Dude.

I can't really afford the space for digital :( would you say Robonyan F is better than the new soultimate for Jibanyan (I'm guessing yes)

Really who I want the most (and I know I'm a broken record) is Sailornyan. Just too cute

Meffer

I can't really afford the space for digital :( would you say Robonyan F is better than the new soultimate for Jibanyan (I'm guessing yes)

Really who I want the most (and I know I'm a broken record) is Sailornyan. Just too cute
Since you can simply scan the QR codes, you don't need the medals if you want to collect them. And I'm sure you can find someone to trade for Sailornyan.

Yeah, you can just scan the QR code for the soultimates off the internet. That's what i did. lol

Robonyan F itself isn't very good. It's its soul you want (You can turn Yo-Kai into souls in this game and they have various effects). A Yo-Kai with that soul equipped frequently does damage back to the opponent when it gets attacked. You can put it on a tank like, say, Walldin, though I personally think the soul that forces the opposing Yo-Kai to attack it is better for most teams.

EDIT: But I'll probably end up farming some Robonyan F for trading purposes so *shrugs*.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I figured this thread was more about collecting medals/overall series news more than games. The games have their own threads. Once people started talking about games I bailed but I'm assuming the issue is the medal releases outside of Japan are too slow to warrant any discussion.

I'm sittin on a pile of Rust Busins/Platina Onis here but most people probably don't even know what they are lol.

I know Sukiyaki will be coming in Dec but fuck it, need something to do during all my commuting and break times until Nov 18th and with SM + holiday work hours I ain't gonna have no time to YW3 anyways.

Getting YW3 once this paycheck clears.

About 7 hrs into YW2, just got my fishing rod, does the difficulty increase at all? Hopefully I've only reached the tip of the iceberg. I'm finding most battles an absolute breeze thus far. I'd enjoy more challenge.

Meffer

About 7 hrs into YW2, just got my fishing rod, does the difficulty increase at all? Hopefully I've only reached the tip of the iceberg. I'm finding most battles an absolute breeze thus far. I'd enjoy more challenge.

Make sure to make a good team and your yokai at around mid 40s because one you hit the main story's final bout of bosses you're going to get rocked.

Tusk

Thought the watch releases would be over, but a new DX Youkai Watch will be released in 2017. DX Black Youkai Watch, which comes with two black Youkai medals.

There will also be a new set with black youkai medals, I believe.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'd sell my son's if I didn't need it for the roulette game. But if you need one of my hundred rust bushins or plat onis let me know.

I'd sell my son's if I didn't need it for the roulette game. But if you need one of my hundred rust bushins or plat onis let me know.

I'm just after the QR code for Sukiyaki, not so much the medal. I bought Coro Coro for the Fushinyan medal, but I also need the QR code from the "Enma & Runali" medal to unlock a new boss fight. The Fushinyan medal gives one half of an item and the "Enma & Runali" gives the other half.

Tusk

New Youkai watch and medals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbNbBoHlfWM

Based on actual Youkai stuff. It's pretty spooky.

I'm just after the QR code for Sukiyaki, not so much the medal. I bought Coro Coro for the Fushinyan medal, but I also need the QR code from the "Enma & Runali" medal to unlock a new boss fight. The Fushinyan medal gives one half of an item and the "Enma & Runali" gives the other half.

5f9372c4.png

Here's the QR

BatDan

The amount of Yo-kai Watch merch being sold at Dollar Tree and various discount stores is distressing.

What the hell did you do Hasbro?

Top Bottom