• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS [OT] I Only Use First Party Controllers

Chuckpebble

ITS BACK BABY!!!
Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%202%2048%2059%20PM.png

That's supposed to be me doing a jumping fist pump in the background, but the screen shot came out a little delayed.

UPDATE 2: apparently this is still coming, though spring didn't happen via TouchArcade.
Until such time, if you've already purchased the game and have a 32 bit iOS 9.3.2 or earlier device, you can still run the game. I'll be testing iOS 10 in the coming days.

UPDATE: While the game is still unlisted on the US store, there is hope.
- There is a cydia tweak that allows cheats for the game. It also makes the game work on 64bit iOS 9.
- There is word that the Japanese version will be getting updated spring of 2016 (now-ish?)
Via Touch Arcade

NOTE: there seems to be an issue running this
game on 64bit versions of iOS 9. I played this exclusively on an iPhone 5c with no issues. I was even using public betas, up to and including 9.2.1. After upgrading to a 6s, the game no longer gets past the Capcom logo. As best as I can tell, Capcom has no intentions of making any more updates.

MH Unite

Released
July 3rd 2014
iOS $14.99

Compatibility
iPhone 4s or newer (iPhone 5 recommended)
iPad 3 or newer
iPod Touch 5th Gen

Supports MFi controllers, but these are by no means a necessity. The touch controls are good.

The Port
This is a very faithful port of the 2009 PSP game with a couple of improvements.
  • Higher resolution and improved textures
  • New icons to help you identify gathering points and use tools without having to equip them
  • A chat system in the online gathering hall provided by a third party app (Lobi)
  • Adds target camera from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Sets the camera to the position the monster is in when you activate it. Does not track.
  • Adds brand new lock on camera - locks the camera onto the center of the monster (there are some monsters that have multiple lock on points) when you activate it and stays locked on. Gets deactivated by manually adjusting the camera horizontally or the monster burrowing or becoming otherwise not visible. :-/

iOS Features
The game does not feature cloud saves which has its pros and cons. You can’t seamlessly play on multiple devices, however, you can easily purchase it once and install on enough devices to have a full hunting crew.

Pressing the home button during play automatically pauses the action during single player, allowing you to come back later. When you return you simply tap the screen anywhere to unpause. There is also a pause button within the menus that allows you to achieve the same thing without switching away from the app.

Pressing the home button during an online hunt will immediately break you away from the group and kick you out to the offline gathering hall, unfortunately. Quick replies to notifications in iOS 8 should make this easier to deal with, but I haven’t tested it yet.

Another word of caution, when you have the game suspended, there’s a danger of the game being reset to the title screen if you use too much RAM while you’re away. In single player I always make it a point to save right before departing on a quest just in case this happens to me while I have a hunt suspended. You’re also prompted to save as you complete quests, so data loss should be minimal.

There are no notifications.

Gamecenter does not do much more than list this game as one that you are playing. There is no score, no achievements, and no challenges to send friends. All it does is drop a banner everytime you go online. For some reason.

Touch Controls
There's a consensus out there that they're really clever and quite well done. I fully agree. Here are some illustrations I put together that address the curiosities I had before the game released.

Controls.png

Online Play
Online requires wifi to play. Sorry, I guess LTE doesn’t cut it.
To play online, simply go to the online gathering hall. You will be presented with four buttons (two will be greyed out initially). These buttons are for meeting up with random hunters. The first button is no preference, meaning you’ll find hunters of all HR levels. The others are gated based on Low Rank, High Rank or G Rank. Although anyone can hunt in the Low Rank room as well.

Playing this way is not ideal for a few reasons. Once you enter a random room, you cannot easily rejoin it if you have to leave for any reason. You can purchase items as well as access your item box in the guild hall but you cannot change equipment or eat a meal for food buffs. For this reason it is more useful to create a room, not just for the convenience of being able to return easily, but also to play with people you know.

Posting Rooms
In order to create a room, you simply tap the field below the random buttons and enter any number between 0 and 999,999,999. First the game will check to see if a room exists so that you can join it. Otherwise it’ll ask you if you’d like to create that room. Unintuitively, you press “NO” at the bottom of the block of text that comes up in order to create the room.

In order to set up play in this thread, I suggest we simply post a room number in the title of our posts and then fill the body out with whatever details you deem necessary: when, for how long, monsters sought, communication method*, particular quest you need help with, etc.

Communication Method
Lobi is a 3rd party app that this game uses for chat in the guild hall only. The game prompts you to install the app itself so that it loads more quickly. You can link Monster Hunter and other games like Puzzle and Dragon to it. There is a public Monster Hunter Freedom Unite chat room that you can post in to advertise your guild quests in, which works well for finding like minded individuals.

You’re also able to chat with the people in your current hall by pressing the face icon underneath of the menu button while in the guild hall. I haven’t used it much though, because randoms don’t seem to know about it. Perhaps this thread will change that.

Resources
Have this page in a Safari tab at all times:
MHFU Quick Reference from Minegarde
I'll add more resources as they're suggested.

I was dying to play this on my new 6 until I realized that my Moga Ace Power won't fit on my shiny new phone! I might hack up the controller to try to fit the new phone into it. Has anyone heard of people modifying the Moga Ace Power to fit the 6/6+?

Chuckpebble

My new controller is being given to me on Thursday. Does anyone still play this thing?

I'm on all the damn time still. The LOBI app seems to have improved markedly.

When I play online now, I first jump onto the random gathering hall, the ones based on HR.
If I don't get paired I simply open up LOBI by hitting the chat icon.
Once in LOBI, it shows you a group chat that was created for your current gathering hall.
From here you can tap "Group" in the upper left and then your able to see all of the public chats going on, including the MHFU official one, marked with a little pale blue circle with a star in it.
That feed is full of people just posting what they're after and a room number.

When the game released you somehow couldn't do all of that. That's kind of why I made this thread: hoping to schedule groups, but there's no need for that now.

I'm on all the damn time still. The LOBI app seems to have improved markedly.

When I play online now, I first jump onto the random gathering hall, the ones based on HR.
If I don't get paired I simply open up LOBI by hitting the chat icon.
Once in LOBI, it shows you a group chat that was created for your current gathering hall.
From here you can tap "Group" in the upper left and then your able to see all of the public chats going on, including the MHFU official one, marked with a little pale blue circle with a star in it.
That feed is full of people just posting what they're after and a room number.

When the game released you somehow couldn't do all of that. That's kind of why I made this thread: hoping to schedule groups, but there's no need for that now.

I find that people in the chat can be nasty. The Wii U version had lovely online but not so much this one. And that damn chat thing crashes the app for me. It never crashed on my 5S but on my 6 I can't scroll too quickly through the messages without the whole thing closing on me.

Chuckpebble

I suppose rudeness comes down to personal experience. Maybe its a language barrier thing? I've played with people from Italy and China, where Tri I only met the occasional spanish speaking players.

For me, its just that no one uses the damn chat most of the time. Well, that and the no mid hunt chat thing.

As far as crashing. Yeesh. I dunno. Are you using the seperately installed Lobi app? The Orange one with the big white L on it? Has been trouble free for me on my lowly 5c.

Complete aside:

I've been playing around with this pixel drawing app called Dots for a while now. I started making monster icons. Turns out they make a terrific icon when you create a chat.

I suppose rudeness comes down to personal experience. Maybe its a language barrier thing? I've played with people from Italy and China, where Tri I only met the occasional spanish speaking players.

For me, its just that no one uses the damn chat most of the time. Well, that and the no mid hunt chat thing.

As far as crashing. Yeesh. I dunno. Are you using the seperately installed Lobi app? The Orange one with the big white L on it? Has been trouble free for me on my lowly 5c.

Complete aside:

I've been playing around with this pixel drawing app called Dots for a while now. I started making monster icons. Turns out they make a terrific icon when you create a chat.

I'm thinking of brash rudeness to the level of going into chat to publicly shame other players, by name, for not being "good enough" and then encouraging others not to play with that person. It wasn't me..thank god. I have a hard enough time finding games!

As for the crashing, I have the Lobi app installed but I just use the chat in-game. If I go to the other app, won't it end my online session?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I needed my on the go Monster Hunter fix so I snagged this last night, it's extremely well done. Comboing takes a bit to get used to since you basically need to flick the attack icon for it to work.

I ended up playing for an hour at the office. Had to turn it off when I realized I actually had to get stuff done.

Having played a ton of MH3U recently I totally forgot how different the series used to be, especially with the felyne kitchen.

It really blew my mind at how excellent monster hunter is as a mobile game, which is funny because I have it on the 3DS, but I guess to me the 3DS is just something you play at home while my phone is with me all the time.

Seriously though, being able to play this on my iphone 6 is incredible.

In theory it should just be - pop in do a hunt, save and turn it off.

In reality you end up playing for like 2 hours without noticing.

Chuckpebble

The thing I like about the controls, but that you have to be careful of, is some of the push and slide controls will auto combo for you.

Like for lance. You slide the sword button up and hold it and it'll do a three poke combo faster than you can tap out the normal combo. It's nice because thats a more powerful attack, but sometimes its hard to stop the combo.

I played MH3U only on 3DS too. This has been an excellent filler while I wait for 4U.

Chuckpebble

Bumping due to this finally being available on the app store again.
I'm on iOS 9.3.3 Public Beta 4 on a 6s and it works a treat.
Looks like its time to reinstall LOBI once more.

Top Bottom