• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

What... you guys want a dissertation on the character designs of Blazblue with the "definition" of what a bad anime/design is?

I said BB had some bad designs, then I was asked to list some, I listed them, then I was scoffed at for listing them, then name called for it. As you can tell, there's no actual discussion and/or analysis to have had here.

Just like no one is going to come up and be asked to explain themselves when they bash NRS/KI designs. These things are completely subjective, I may not like these designs but someone else might, that's how it goes.

Dahbomb

Real talk I thought Ragna was a Dante clone when I first saw him.
Dante already is an amalgam of various anime tropes and designs.

*Captain Cobra
*Alucard from Hellsing (white and black pistols, regenerative abilities, long red coat)
*Vash from Trigun (even has that cool, villainous evil twin brother)
*Inuyasha (one can say that DMC in general is closest to Inuyasha)
*Gungrave

And Ragna is just the next in line of that trope. Only they over designed him with generic spiky white hair, belts and buckles all over. Kinda like what you would expect Nomura to design in a FF game.

Dahbomb

Nomura designs are cool tho
play-arts-kai-batman-concept.jpg

Though his Boba Fett is kinda nice:

odlaxfat3hg8uncq6tan.jpg

NEO0MJ

I have to agree with Dahbomb. A good number of BB characters go off the rails in regards to how anime they are, especially the swordgirls.

Oh, and shaowebb. If you have any interest in buying a Kamen Rider figure or two check out HLJ.com, they're offering a sale on some of their items, including Kamen Rider. I was really tempted to pick up Kamen Rider Wizard.

do not do this

It's kinda true. Like, I never watched that anime but it seems to share a few things with DMC.

I mean Dhabomb isn't wrong.

The characters in BB are tropes, they all fill one trope or another. If someone is turned off by them, well then they are and you can't really do anything about it.

Personally I like that BB character that's a Kamen Rider and has a pallet swap that turns him into Goku, so whatever I guess.

Anne

I like BB and even I will say a lot of the cast is overly designed or have bad aspects to them lol

There's a bit of tongue in cheek going on in that but that doesn't make it any less hard to take seriously sometimes. Some of it is taste though. I'd rather laugh about Ragna being as dumb as he is than suffer through Sol being as boring as he is. Other people won't agree with me though :v

LordJim

The only design I actually liked a lot in BB was Hazama because it's like they rotoscoped Michael Jackson.
And Arakune works for a creepy monster design, I guess

Wild Card

I quite like a lot of the BB cast. Hazama is cool yes. I always liked Tsubaki's design. Noel is always my favorite. Never much cared for Carl, just seems kind of bland to me. I think it's also good to keep in mind that being a trope or associated with a trope is not inherently bad, tropes are in everything, there just descriptors really.

How is Amane a bad design? There isn't even anything crazy going on. Amane is just wearing a super flowy kimono and the colors are nice and analogous. Plus, I love Amane's animations.

That said, ASW in general has some pretty hideous character designs. What kind of pirate wears a trench coat and a cowboy hat with sunglasses?

No wonder the only two good games they've ever made are both licensed IPs.

Riposte

Though his Boba Fett is kinda nice:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/odlaxfat3hg8uncq6tan.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The only thing bad about that Batman is that it upsets people who can't understand it's trying to be different. If that was an enemy in a Japanese action game a la Metal Gear Rising, it would be a cool design.

Wild Card

at least we can all agree that type moon character design is pigeon holed into 400 different versions of Saber

I kinda like how blatant it is, also whenever I see Fate designs outside of what I know(what I know being Stay/Night and Zero) that shit always throws me for a loop, like who are these people?!

Sayad

Believe it or not I criticize SF because I am probably a bigger fan than you guys are. So it saddens me to see capcom failing to deliver. While I am a mega fanboy I am not a blind followed either. When a product under deliver I call it out. Also SFV could have been bigger than sfiv when it comes to brining in more causal players into the franchise. But well we all saw how that turned out.... Maybe for sfvi capcom will take their time and release a finished product.
Not sure what does any of this have to do with your silly "SFV is dying in the competitive scene" crusade, but do go on, not trying to stop you! I find it pretty entertaining, actually.

Just like no one is going to come up and be asked to explain themselves when they bash NRS/KI designs. These things are completely subjective, I may not like these designs but someone else might, that's how it goes.

Because Unreal Engine is technology, but anime is art

they're both bad, c'mon

Sayad

To be fare, most of the criticism KI and NRS games get is because of the ugly models, not the actual designs, which really require no explanation past linking a picture of said model.

Dahbomb

To be fare, most of the criticism KI and NRS games get is because of the ugly models, not the actual designs, which really require no explanation past linking a picture of said model.
Hard to criticize their designs when they are based off of iconic characters from another property.

I am with you though... WW that appears in the CG intro of Injustice is a lot better than the WW in-game.

miku

The only design I actually liked a lot in BB was Hazama because it's like they rotoscoped Michael Jackson.
And Arakune works for a creepy monster design, I guess

Arakune best waifu, Shun even use that pushbutton for his stick

What... you guys want a dissertation on the character designs of Blazblue with the "definition" of what a bad anime/design is?

I said BB had some bad designs, then I was asked to list some, I listed them, then I was scoffed at for listing them, then name called for it. As you can tell, there's no actual discussion and/or analysis to have had here.

The conversation was pretty much;

Guy: "This is shit!"
Guy 2: "No"
Guy: "Yes it is"
Guy: "No it's not"
etc.

I mean that type of conversation will always result in heat. Just the way it is.

An actual conversation can't have a foundation if that's the way it starts imo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
『Inaba Resident』;207627617 said:
imo, a lot of BB's designs are just whatever. Ragana is probably the worst offender overall though. Terrible name and design.

nah
It's really bad for visual noise reasons. She looks like a floating pair of hands once the match starts which is bad as she isn't just floating hands :p her animations are harder to follow than they need to be at first glance.

A simple minor fix would have been to make her gauntlets darker and her body a bit brighter.

It's really bad for visual noise reasons. She looks like a floating pair of hands once the match starts which is bad as she isn't just floating hands :p her animations are harder to follow than they need to be at first glance

I agree. I dislike how the main "density" of her design is at her hands and her body is the thinnest part of it. That kind of thing always reminds me of something like a Brute from Dead Space or random armadillo enemy mob with big hands from some random rpg. Her skipping leg day also doesn't help, though I would laugh if she walks around on her knuckles like a gorilla, but that's not the case since she skips.

.la1n

I can usually find appreciation in art direction even if it's not necessarily something I'd gravitate towards. I can also step back and be adult enough to realize sometimes other people's great looking game isn't the same as mine.

I've seen some missteps in the current line up of fighters but for the most part I find them all visually appealing on different levels and for different reasons. Yes that even includes NRS games.

Tripon

acekingoffsuit ‏@acekingoffsuit 3h3 hours ago
#CPT2016 Latin America schedule changed again: SANA (EVO weekend) returns; Fight In Rio (Aug 6-7) & Treta (Oct 1-2) added.

https://twitter.com/acekingoffsuit/status/744305671961718784

collusion returns

----

CEO Schedule:

team spooky not streaming CEO this year is going to hurt stream numbers. I also don't think making CEO the main stream is the right decision either. Don't know what happened there.
Tournament Schedule:
CEO2016_EventSchedule.png

Stream schedule:

CEO2016_StreamSchedule.png

Nightii

Banned
NRS designs are just next to the other end of the spectrum from ASW, I get cuts in my eyes just looking at most of the MK cast.

KI is the end of said spectrum.

.la1n

I feel for you guys missing out on some great games due to visuals not meeting your standards. Street Fighter as a series would have died at inception.

I feel for you guys missing out on some great games due to visuals not meeting your standards. Street Fighter as a series would have died at inception.

Visuals are important to me but I try not to let it stop me from trying out games. I don't like the visuals of a lot of old SNK games but I have a lot of fun with the gameplay. Despite not liking the visuals, I've tried hard to like KI and MKX but I just don't have fun with them.

I've tried basically most fighting games, what makes me stick with a game though is if I have a character I like playing in it, which is a mix of design and playstyle. I didn't play much of Xrd Sign because I honestly didn't find a character I really like, but I'm loving Revelator at the moment because of Johnny. I always liked him and Baiken ever since #Reload because I always liked their whole motif, even though I've never been good at Guilty Gear. Jam being in it is also cool, because I always like martial arts characters. KOF, I always have Leona and Benimaru on deck, and usually a handful of other characters I like to play like Duo Lon, so I feel I always have place to jump in with the game. SF2 Chun and Honda kept with me throughout the series, I basically jumped in the genre learning mash and charge specials. Though I've been broadening my horizons and learning a decent amount of characters to play around with in SF5. Except Banana wig Ken. I could go on and on about other games, but if I find something I like, I like to stick with it.

edit: It's also dope has hell that more people are playing SC2 on Dolphin with Aris' stream. Sometimes the server gets wrecked since too many people jump on, since (I might be wrong on how it works) some server has to send hexcodes for the people to connect with.

.la1n

That's why I have a great deal of respect for people like Beef. If someone doesn't like a game because they've tried it and it's not their thing then that's perfectly reasonable. Blindly bashing games because it isn't "your game" on Twitter, forums, and other social outlets is toxic to communities.

I don't think people realize how much word of mouth can effect niche communities. It can single handedly sink some franchises. If you don't like something, fine, just don't go out of your way to try to drag it into the dirt out of some ill placed self righteousness of the only game allowed to be enjoyed is your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom