• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

Since now we have these 'mid gen upgrades' like the Pro and Scorpio, I think it's fair to say that there's no way a new console will be announced soon, right?

Anyway what is your guess? And what do you think will be the specs?

Before the pro I was hoping for a 2018 or 2019 reveal and late 2019/early 2020 for new consoles. Now I don't know anymore. I think we will not have any news regarding the next gen until 2020.

Eolz

Not before Fall 2019 at the soonest. Likely 2020 if the sales don't drop much and they can make it last a bit longer.

UraMallas

Sony would be smart to get it out there in 2019 to force Microsoft's hand. I have no idea specs - how could we know?

Protann

Part of me thinks there's not going to be a PS5/New Xbox. What's keeping them from a simple optional hardware upgrade every 3 years, while retaining the libraries that already exist?

Usually the RAM upgrade is 8x the previous gen. Do you guys think there's a chance we'll actually get 64GB of RAM on the next consoles?

Honestly, even thinking of 2020 I don't see this happening. I think it'll be around 32GB, but it will be A LOT faster than current RAM.

Nameless

Between Q2 2020 and Q3 2021. Dev kits start to roll out in 2019. Development cycles aren't going to get shorter with a generational boost in tech so a 2019 launch is too soon if you expect any sort of reasonable software line-up.

UraMallas

Part of me thinks there's not going to be a PS5/New Xbox. What's keeping them from a simple optional hardware upgrade every 3 years, while retaining the libraries that already exist?

I would prefer this, honestly. I hope it's over. I want to carry my library ad infinitum.

ASTROID2

With how long it's taking Microsoft to come out with the scorpio I almost think they should just make it the successor.

I wouldn't say that those are mutually exclusive. The PS2 could play every PS1 game, and some PS3's could play pretty much every PS2 and PS1 game. It's entirely possible that PS5/Xbox 4 and onwards will be more in the vein of the PS2. With everything I've heard about the new architecture of the consoles, it won't be as big of a deal to make cross-generation games in the future if they stick with this architecture (which I'm guessing everyone assumes they will for good reason). The first few years of the new generation(s) will be able to reap the benefits of having better versions of the cross-generational games as well as having access to all of the previous generations' libraries.

Granted, that might mean that multiplayer between PS5 and PS4/Pro might not exist perfectly for multiple games, but I feel like that could be a small sacrifice when there'd be not many other reasons to not upgrade to a PS5 when you have the opportunity.

Kayhan

Two years after the mid-gem upgrades? Maybe launch three years in.

It is a brave new world and who knows how long console gaming will even be viable as we know it.

People who seriously think Sony is releasing a new console in less than 3 years are insane. They are under no threat of a sales decline in the near future. It will be 2020 at the earliest.

Developers won't be happy with a "small" upgrade. The PS4 and XB1 have a pretty awful CPU for example. In a few years, people will be itching for a big upgrade.

I think there will be a PS5 with full backwards compatibility.

LordKano

Three years after the Pro, so fall 2019. Maybe a year later if Sony feel it that way but no further.

Don't know about the Xbox One, Microsoft seems to work in a different way. And since the Scorpio seems to be a way bigger upgrade than a Pro, they may want to stick with that for longer.

15TF+
16GB RAM
Half decent CPU
4K only (with downscale obviously for old TV's)

2020 for Sony and the year after for Xbox, if they do another one. No earlier.

Nintendo similar time. ~4TF max lol

I think Sony announces the PS5 in Spring 2020 and launches October / November of that year.

16 GB DDR5
12TF 8GB graphics card
2TB HDD
£400

That's my guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS5, Fall 2019

16GB HBM+ 480+ GB/s

10tflop GPU

8core Zen CPU, 16 threads

2TB HDD

399$

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm expecting 2020

Ryzen CPU (4 cores, 8 threads, high clocks)
32gb HBM2 RAM with a ton of bandwidth
12-15tflop GPU

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
VR is gonna be the big driver here. 2nd gen VR headsets will come out in the next year or two, they will be cheaper, lighter, and have better displays, and it will start becoming more mainstream. Something like 25% of all game developers are working on VR stuff. A killer app is bound to pop out of that, and VR will become more ubiquitous.

Sony is already in an incredible position to launch a VR-from-the-ground-up console that is also fully backwards compatible with the PS4 library. They already have the experience with PSVR. They are in such a good position that they could completely ruin the future of the XBOX if they play their cards correctly.

So, calling it now: the PS5 will be something like 2019 / 2020, and launch with an accompanying VR headset. Microsoft will try to make the Hololens and Windows 10 gaming more of a thing, and the XBOX will die off.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Probably in like 3 years.

And it'll almost assuredly be like it was this generation - both systems will be 3-4 years behind the curve in terms of power aka hard pass

jelly

PS5 - Fall 2020
Xbox 5 - Fall 2020

I know generations might not seem like a thing anymore or so they say but they'll move on with full BC eventually and you'll be buying PS5 labelled game boxes.

Games take ages to make these days, there is no rush. Let Microsoft have their Scorpio. Games starting this year or even last year could be cross gen launch titles for PS5 and Xbox 5 in 2020 which is something to think about, GTA 6 milking both sides again with a remaster! Halo 7 launch title. GT7 on PS5. Mario cross platform.

III-V

I expect that Scorpio is the successor to X1, without a doubt it becomes more clear as time goes on. I can also bet that it gets pushed back from a launch this year.

EDIT: obviously people think this is an equivalent to an X1+, but it just is not positioned that way hardware wise. It is beefy enough to be considered next gen in terms of what the OG X1 was specced at.

True Fire

I think the natural time frame will be 2020.

I don't think Microsoft will release a dedicated console though. Xbox Two will be a high end Windows 10 machine. They'll be pushing their Xbox Store platform to compete with Steam. Anyone with a PC and Windows 10 will be able to own an "Xbox," and it will have killer exclusives to force PC gamers to use it. Their platform will extend to mobile, tablets, and TV boxes as well. On paper their adoption rates will be higher than Sony's, but only because of grandmas who use it to play solitaire.

PlayStation 5 will be a native 4K machine with an emphasis on high framerate VR. It will have pretty seamless high density worlds and near lifelike graphics. Low-ball estimate would be 12 TFLOPs, but GPU capabilities will be on a whole new level in 3 years. Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a launch title.

Nintendo Switch 2 will come out in 2021, and it will be a standard Nintendo upgrade. I imagine the handheld will be 1080p and docked will run at about PS4 Pro levels (checkerboard 4K). There still won't be any Metroid games.

Hoje0308

Banned
Before the pro I was hoping for a 2018 or 2019 reveal and late 2019/early 2020 for new consoles. Now I don't know anymore. I think we will not have any news regarding the next gen until 2020.

Pro is a refresh meant to keep people happy in between numbered updates. PS4 to Pro was three years, so it makes sense that Pro to PS5 could be three years as well. I highly doubt anyone is doing 7 or 8 year generations again.

viHuGi

Banned
Not before Fall 2019 at the soonest. Likely 2020 if the sales don't drop much and they can make it last a bit longer.

Why bother when Playstation 4 is the new Playstation 2?

They have gaming market on the bag right now but they also had it with Ps2 and 360/Wii changed the game.

Bsigg12

2020-2021 for both new a new Xbox and new PlayStation.

No idea where they'll be power wise because it'll depend on how significant the jumps are for AMD the next couple years.

Guys... Think about this logically:

PS4 is doing great numbers, way ahead of PS3 in tracking and similar to PS2. They will not push out a new console unless Microsoft forces their hand.

Microsoft has yet to release the Scorpio, do you really think they plan to release new hardware two years after their mig gen upgrade? Plus it is not as if the One is struggling in sales either.

Next gen will not start this decade, sorry Nintendo fans.

BigEmil

Announcement 2019 then release in 2020
Specs most likely what Inuhanyou said with 1TB HDD instead. Why spend more towards HDD when that can go into hardware which cannot be replaced whereas HDD can be upgraded and must remain under $399

Greddleok

The Pro seems to be doing OK, so I guess the answer is...never. They'll just keep updating the PS4 until it's no longer selling.

For the XBONE, I guess we'll see after Scorpio.

120v

they need to release asap to compete with Switch ;)

2020 thereabouts sounds right. would clock current gen to about 8 years, that's about the all the mileage you'll get unless sony/MS plans on pulling a stunt with Pro/Scorpio exclusives

Duxxy3

Still guessing 2020 for the PS5. Earliest for the XB? would be 2021. Basically 4 years from the mid generation bumps until the next generation.

jdstorm

Banned
Fall 2018 or 2019

Whenever its cheap enough to launch with AMDs new CPU. The GPU will be 10+TFlops and HMDB2 or 3 ram at 399 USD.

True Fire

Why bother when Playstation 4 is the new Playstation 2?

They have gaming market on the bag right now but they also had it with Ps2 and 360/Wii changed the game.

This is a good point. Nintendo is in a world of their own, so this will be the first gen where Sony doesn't have to think about them as competitors. Next gen be a game of chicken between Microsoft and Sony.

Will Microsoft have the games lineup for a whole new launch? Sony will, and it would be a devastating competition.

Top Bottom