• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: 4k 360 games tested on Xbox One X!

gamz

Okay, but I still don't understand MS strategy. I have a PS4 and a recent PC. I still don't understand why I would buy a Xbox One or a Xbox One X :

- every Xbox exclusive (the very few of them) is available on my PC on Windows
- they also play better on my PC
- every multiplatform game I also get the best version on my PC
- if I had bought a One instead of my PS4, I couldn't play any PS4 exclusive though, so why would I do that ?
- I can't play VR either on Xbox, while I can on PS4 or PC.
- I can play any older game in higher res on PC
- Games are also cheaper on PC.

Next gen why would I do anything different ? With a PC / PS4 combo (+ Switch if I want nintendo games) I get everything. With a PC / Xbox combo... not so much.

I just don't get their strategy.

I know this piece of intel my blow your mind, BUT not everyone games on a PC. Some people actually prefer consoles.

Why build a PC for 1K when you get comparable results from a 500 dollar console?

Mattyp

Gold Member
Okay, but I still don't understand MS strategy. I have a PS4 and a recent PC. I still don't understand why I would buy a Xbox One or a Xbox One X :

- if I had bought a One instead of my PS4, I couldn't play any PS4 exclusive though, so why would I do that ?

Next gen why would I do anything different ? With a PC / PS4 combo (+ Switch if I want nintendo games) I get everything. With a PC / Xbox combo... not so much.

Why do people continue to beat this dead horse with people having to repeat the same answer every time?

Microsoft doesn't care where you purchase your Microsoft exclusive games. Be it from the Microsoft Store on your licenced Windows 10 machine or on an Xbox console. Guess who gets the money for it and another xbox live account with more people buying into their ecosystem?

Microsoft is one of the largest companies in the world, money will continue to come in through many means. PC gamers still don't fathem the large majority of xbox game buyers are those same FIFA/COD buyers and don't have and never will have any intention of playing their games on PC.

Microsoft could easily tomorrow pull Minecraft from every other console, release Minecraft 2 exclusive to the xbox console and hold onto that rocket. They have no intention of doing that as they look at the bigger picture.

gamz

I certainly don't, because I can hardly keep up with my backlog regarding new games, let alone play games I already finished. I already said it's a great gesture from MS, but some people are again hyperboling this as if it is an actual meant feature for the X. It's there for a reason and not just to please the players, is all I mean (just like the UHD player). Just be happy it's there and you are able to play more games and stop defending it for no reason (like the dude on top of the first page). No one said anything about BC being bad. Why so defensive?

To bad you are making it a VS. discussion (I was just pointing out why MS is doing this, nothing more, they're not a charity organisation or something), but Sony is lazy? They are actually creating new IP's and putting out new exclusive content. And in their remasters there has been put a lot more work than what MS does with enhancing 360 games. Yes it comes with a price, but that doesn't make it lazy. They are actually investing in studio's instead of focusing on multiplatform and games everybody already played. You call that lazy and supporting BC as much as MS is (because that's the only thing you can do to stand out a bit more) not? That said: I'd personally rather pay for a good remaster with actual improvements, than play, let's say, the PS3 version of the Last of Us with just a resolution bump.

Funny you call Sony fans that. MS fans (like yourself I guess) didn't care for the graphical superior multiplatform console experience for 4 years and now all of a sudden it's the wholy grail. And you know BC for PS3 is almost impossible because of the cell CPU, right?

Sony fans that bitched over the slightly better graphics the last 4 years are just as worse as MS fans bitching about it know.

You are saying if a person loves the feature they are hyperboling? You have this weird thing about people being happy with their Xbox. Just let then be and you don't get it.

I don't know man, they don't get a lot of money from me. I didn't subscribe to Xbox Live.

They need to do make all their exclusives multiplayer and being so good and numerous that we can't pass on Live.

They're hardly there...

You play games on WIndows which is a Microsoft platform. They are ok with this. It's not that hard to understand they are catering to their console trying to give their customers there the best value for that system, too.

mad597

Banned
Not everyone wants to build a gaming pc, or fiddle with settings. Also, gaming consoles are much smaller, allowing us to take it wherever we want when traveling, or visiting our friends. Did I mention it's also cheaper than building a pc? Really not hard to understand.

It is stupid in a thread where Xbox is delivering a good service to it's console customers we are having to run down the old arguments of PC vs Consoles. This is stupid and just an attempt from the peanut gallery to derail a positive Xbox thread

PC and Console are different platforms catering to different types of gamers not every console gamer wants to play games on a PC for a host of reasons whihc have been beaten to death over the years. MS is taking good features from PC gaming and applying that to their Console eco system. This is a good thing and easy to understand.

MilkyJoe

If you don't get it then for the love of god don't go into business for yourself.

Hint the answer is in your very post

twisted89

The quality of the BC in the x really makes me wish Sony actually did something with my pro...

Just like the Vita, complete lack of support killing the system. What happened to their promise "Every game from release will support the pro"?!
Running without optimisation doesn't count douche bags -_-

Krisprolls

Banned
If you don't get it then for the love of god don't go into business for yourself.

Hint the answer is in your very post

But... it doesn't work since obviously I don't give them money (didn't pay for Windows, didn't pay for Xbox Live...)

Bramble

You are saying if a person loves the feature they are hyperboling? You have this weird thing about people being happy with their Xbox. Just let then be and you don't get it.

No I am not, but let's just forget it. MS is doing a great job with BC.

mad597

Banned
But... it doesn't work since obviously I don't give them money (didn't pay for Windows, didn't pay for Xbox Live...)

They don't care, go create a new thread on how you aren't giving MS money it has nothing to do with this topic. Again with people going into Stock holder mode and only thinking about console sales and corporate profits, WTF is with this mentality?

They are giving added value to their Console customers, this has nothing to do with PC gamers

Cheech

Battlefield 3 looks and plays awesome on the X

I downloaded Bad Company 2 last night... I wonder if the servers are still up. I doubt it, but here's to hoping.

I've been playing just as many 360 games as current games on my XBX. Oblivion in particular is a marvel; I also have it on PC, and I swear it looks better on the new Xbox.

Oemenia

Banned
I hope MS can leverage the massive GPU power to overcome some of the CPU weakness. It's pretty obvious a lot of the GPU is going to waste.

Breakage

Xbox One BC - in general - is on another level. I recently saw a video of Ninja Gaiden Black running on the Xbox One, and I thought it could easily pass for an early 360 game.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It has nothing to do with not liking a posters opinion. I purchased an X which I later returned. It's a premium console that was well thought out but it wasn't a good fit at the time. All that being said, there's been a stark increase in the embarrassing displays of immaturity since the migration and nothing is being done to reign it in. It's not just in the X threads but in off topic threads as well. At least here, it's relegated to being happy about your console of choice but in other threads, people are doing things that would have led to an instant ban with no reprecussions.

it was the sambefor theigration tbh, I have an xbox and the amount of hate it got befor the X came out was embarrassing on here. threads about purly xbox stuff and I don't mean digital foundry face offs or anything turned embarrassing with some of the posts.

maybe its the same people have just switched to the x now and posting about it but it has been like that for a long time not just because the x has come out

So, let’s say you have an android phone, does that mean that Apple have a failing business model? No, it just means that the product does not appeal to you.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is fantastic Sony need to get their act together.
I know PS3 games are out the question but they haven't even bothered with their catalogue of games from 2 greatest libraries in gaming.
Being able to play timeless classics from PSX/PS2 in HD with enhancements would be big win for Sony and gamers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I know PS3 games are out the question but they haven't even bothered with their catalogue of games from 2 greatest libraries in gaming.
Being able to play timeless classics from PSX/PS2 in HD with enhancements would be big win for Sony and gamers.

why are PS3 games out of the question? this aint a have a go post either.
with xbox one being able to do 360 games surely ps4 can do ps3 games?

Bramble

Do you really want Sony to put resources and effort in such old stuff? Please not. I recently played Jack and Daxter, for example. It not only looks old, it also feels like it. I like remasters of real classics like Shadow of the Colussus and the Drake Collection and I'm happy to pay for those, but I really don't need everything to be BC, if that takes away resources from making new stuff.

mad597

Banned
Do you really want Sony to put resources and effort in such old stuff? Please not. I recently played Jack and Daxter, for example. It not only looks old, it also feels like it. I like remasters of real classics like Shadow of the Colussus and the Drake Collection and I'm happy to pay for those, but I really don't need everything to be BC, if that takes away resources from making new stuff.

Sony fans would rather pay twice for games then have the games they already paid for get improved with better hardware. I swear you guys are more interested in how Sony does as a company like a damn stock holder than you are about holding Sony accountable for giving you more value for your money.

MS has dedicated BC groups that are part of the OS development team, this has nothing to do with Internal game studios nor does it take away from game development. Maybe Sony needs to get their shit together and put a little more effort in their OS and Console features. Sony putting out 2 stability updates a year for the OS isn't making much effort on this front

We get it you don't care about this feature you can move along and try and shit up other Xbox threads.

Actual

So, I recently bought an LG C7 tv, and I was looking at UHD players and it seems like the Xbox One S is probably the best way to go for me, but I'm also considering the X.

My current setup:
PS4 Pro
Switch
Xbox One (og)
PC GTX 770
My main platform is PS4 (mainly for friends list) and Switch.

I was thinking of selling my original Xbox One and buying an S, because honestly, I only play a few games on Xbox. My main platform is PS4 (mainly for friends list) and Switch. I do love Forza though...

So I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do in my situation?
1- Sell Xbox One and upgrade to S for 4k output and UHD player
2- Sell Xbox One and upgrade to X for 4k output, UHD player and Forza (I also have Quantum Break in my backlog)
3- Don't get a UHD player and stick to streaming
4- Buy a separate UHD player (bad idea, too many devices already connected here with 3 consoles and a PC)

phil_t98

#SonyToo

it wouldn't take much away from anything, hire new people to do it. I dislike when a new generation comes out the old games cant be played on the new consoles.great to have the new games and some are still looking great from the 360 and ps3 era even now

mad597

Banned
it wouldn't take much away from anything, hire new people to do it. I dislike when a new generation comes out the old games cant be played on the new consoles.great to have the new games and some are still looking great from the 360 and ps3 era even now

With as much money as Sony is making this gen they could certainly put a little more effort in new features and services for their console eco system. But when Sony fans keep making excuses for them and caping for them every step of the way they are never going to do anything.

MaulerX

So what does that say according to you? Nothing about actually putting work into enhancing games.

This is just about the hardware itself. Just like unpatched PS4 Pro and X1 games that run better on the enhanced hardware?

So? Unpatched Xbox One and PS4 games also run better on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro . That doesn't mean they're enhanced. What is your point?

Sorry if I misread something somewhere (and please correct me if I'm wrong), but the whole point is MS actually enhancing 360 games so they look better on Xbox, right? They are actually putting teams to work in making old games look better. It's not just the hardware that does that automatically.

Oh the irony.... Specially after you said this:

Why would somebody downplay this?

Buy by all means, continue to do so.

Do you really want Sony to put resources and effort in such old stuff? Please not.

I guarantee you (and you can save this quote) that if the PS5 doesn't have BC it's going to be DOA. They are absolutely working on it and it's fans are expecting if not outright demanding them to do so.

mad597

Banned
So, I recently bought an LG C7 tv, and I was looking at UHD players and it seems like the Xbox One S is probably the best way to go for me, but I'm also considering the X.

My current setup:
PS4 Pro
Switch
Xbox One (og)
PC GTX 770
My main platform is PS4 (mainly for friends list) and Switch.

I was thinking of selling my original Xbox One and buying an S, because honestly, I only play a few games on Xbox. My main platform is PS4 (mainly for friends list) and Switch. I do love Forza though...

So I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do in my situation?
1- Sell Xbox One and upgrade to S for 4k output and UHD player
2- Sell Xbox One and upgrade to X for 4k output, UHD player and Forza (I also have Quantum Break in my backlog)
3- Don't get a UHD player and stick to streaming
4- Buy a separate UHD player (bad idea, too many devices already connected here with 3 consoles and a PC)

Sell OG Xbox one and get the X, you will find it will become your multi plat console and you will discover alot of games from the past getting major upgrades and the UHD player will be an added bonus

The X is the only console that really utilizes a 4K screen with better res games AND a UHD player.

Actual

Sell OG Xbox one and get the X, you will find it will become your multi plat console and you will discover alot of games from the past getting major upgrades and the UHD player will be an added bonus

The X is the only console that really utilizes a 4K screen with better res games AND a UHD player.

Yeah, I see what you mean... My PC isn't powerful enough to do it either. I guess it's just the money that is kind of stopping me, this TV wasn't cheap lol!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
With as much money as Sony is making this gen they could certainly put a little more effort in new features and services for their console eco system. But when Sony fans keep making excuses for them and caping for them every step of the way they are never going to do anything.

Completely agree, seems like sony is getting a free pass with a lot of stuff this Gen, Microsoft got it big time wrong with their message in the beginning and were made to pay for it. rightly so in some case and in others not so, defending no backwards compatibility by saying some of the things in here is just silly. they can do it so they should ,after all they all FOR THE GAMERS are they not?

Completely agree, seems like sony is getting a free pass with a lot of stuff this Gen, Microsoft got it big time wrong with their message in the beginning and were made to pay for it. rightly so in some case and in others not so, defending no backwards compatibility by saying some of the things in here is just silly. they can do it so they should after all they at FOR THE GAMERS are they now?
Because people don't care. You only really hear the complaining on forums and shit.

mad597

Banned
Because people don't care. You only really hear the complaining on forums and shit.

Actually Sony fans don't care cause Sony isn't doing it for them and they pretty much adjust their preferences to what ever Sony is doing at the time.

The rest of gamers that value the money they previously spent on games and don't want to rebuy games care and the fact our old games are getting major graphical updates for free just reinforces the idea that buying a digital Xbox game has more value.

Bramble

Sony fans would rather pay twice for games then have the games they already paid for get improved with better hardware. I swear you guys are more interested in how Sony does as a company like a damn stock holder than you are about holding Sony accountable for giving you more value for your money.

MS has dedicated BC groups that are part of the OS development team, this has nothing to do with Internal game studios nor does it take away from game development. Maybe Sony needs to get their shit together and put a little more effort in their OS and Console features. Sony putting out 2 stability updates a year for the OS isn't making much effort on this front

We get it you don't care about this feature you can move along and try and shit up other Xbox threads.

You don't read. I rather pay for a proper remaster (with better lighting, higher quality effects, higher polygon models, better textures etc.) than playing the same old shit again with a res bump. Regardless of platform. Or do you think MS is actually fully remastering 360 games and doing so for free? Bottom line is I rather play actual new games instead of slightly recycled ones. I always sell my previous consoles so I really don't care about old games I already finished.

And those groups cost money and resources too, don't they? I'd rather have for them to spend those in actually creating new content or features.

Not sure what you exactly miss in the PS OS? I only use it for gaming, so maybe I'm missing something. My console is perfectly stable. Only thing I do with it is getting it out of rest mode and continue the game I was playing.

Hiring people also costs money, so yes, it would take away resources for actually creating new stuff.

Oh the irony.... Specially after you said this:

Buy by all means, continue to do so.

I guarantee you (and you can save this quote) that if the PS5 doesn't have BC it's going to be DOA. They are absolutely working on it and it's fans are expecting if not outright demanding them to do so.

You're reading what you want to read, so it seems. And yes, I expect the PS5 to be BC. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out. The PS4 CPU is not a showstopper, like the PS3 CPU is. That and all that stuff with the mid gen upgrades. It won't take much effort to make PS4 games work on PS5. I just hope they wont be actually spending resources in enhancing old stuff, but rather focus on making new stuff.

Krisprolls

Banned
Paid for the game.... Ooohhh...

That's not a lot of money since there are very few exclusives, and most of the games are losing money for their publishers anyway.

Most of the money Sony / MS makes in console business is made on PS+ / Xbox Live subscriptions, and here I pay none. My point stands, their strategy sucks.

You don't read. I rather pay for a proper remaster (with better lighting, higher quality effects, higher polygon models, better textures etc.) than playing the same old shit again with a res bump. Regardless of platform. Or do you think MS is actually fully remastering 360 games and doing so for free? Bottom line is I rather play actual new games instead of slightly recycled ones. I always sell my previous consoles so I really don't care about old games I already finished.

But I didn't pay for this.... ;)

GEARS360X.png

phil_t98

#SonyToo
[B said:
Hiring people also costs money, so yes, it would take away resources for actually creating new stuff.[/B]

Sony are making a killing this Gen they have the money to invest don't make excuses for them. Microsoft can do it so can sony. double the amount of consoles sold they have the cash

mad597

Banned

And those groups cost money and resources too, don't they? I'd rather have for them to spend those in actually creating new content or features.

Not sure what you exactly miss in the PS OS? I only use it for gaming, so maybe I'm missing something. My console is perfectly stable. Only thing I do with it is getting it out of rest mode and continue the game I was playing.

Hiring people also costs money, so yes, it would take away resources for actually creating new stuff.

You're reading what you want to read, so it seems. And yes, I expect the PS5 to be BC. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out. The PS4 CPU is not a showstopper, like the PS3 CPU is. That and all that stuff with the mid gen upgrades. It won't take much effort to make PS4 games work on PS5. I just hope they wont be actually spending resources in enhancing old stuff, but rather focus on making new stuff.

You aren't even paying attention to what this thread is about or anything being said in it, watch the video, BC games are getting MUCH MORE than a res bump, very much on par with actual official remasters, only difference is you don't have to PAY TWICE for the game. Stop being obtuse and idiotic just to cape for Sony

Oh poor sony might have to hire people and pay them a little to give features and services other console makers are giving, oh gosh how will poor sony survive, I must defend their honor and make sure their stock is higher instead of holding them accountable for giving me more value for the money I spend with them

Sony fans care more about Sony then their own best interests as gamers. Literal Stockholm syndrome

Krisprolls

Banned
So, let’s say you have an android phone, does that mean that Apple have a failing business model? No, it just means that the product does not appeal to you.

If it was a good business model though, Xbox wouldn't be mostly a flop worldwide (outside of the US).

mad597

Banned
That's not a lot of money since there are very few exclusives, and most of the games are losing money for their publishers anyway.

Most of the money Sony / MS makes in console business is made on PS+ / Xbox Live subscriptions, and here I pay none. My point stands, their strategy sucks.

Good for you, move along or create a thread about it, this isn't the one

You can start any old game on PC and bump details and res you know ? It's been like that... for ever actually. I'm not sure what we should be amazed about.

giphy.gif

Amazed, no.

Impressed that Microsoft would actually put toward the effort, yes. Downplay it all you want, this is good for the console market.

mad597

Banned
You can start any old game on PC and bump details and res you know ? It's been like that... for ever actually. I'm not sure what we should be amazed about.

Are you confused? what does this have to do with anything being talked about in this thread? Phil Spencer LITERALLY said he wanted to bring this concept from the PC to the console. Last time I checked Xbox was a console and not a PC,

Oh glory to the PC master race, they are truly the greatest praise be the PC master race

Are you happy now? Has your PC insecurities been fulfilled so you can move along?

Top Bottom