• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Game Informer's article info roundup

I echo others sentiments...I am very hyped for this game all of a sudden. Some great details in that article. For the most part I haven't really been keeping up with the updates on this game beyond the initial reveal trailer after they switched course to FFXV. I downloaded the demo to my PS4 but haven't taken it for a spin yet. Maybe I'll do that now.

5 months

5 MONTHS

giphy.gif

I echo others sentiments...I am very hyped for this game all of a sudden. Some great details in that article. For the most part I haven't really been keeping up with the updates on this game beyond the initial reveal trailer after they switched course to FFXV. I downloaded the demo to my PS4 but haven't taken it for a spin yet. Maybe I'll do that now.

Tech demo that isn't part of the main game and was done by two people in two months. Go in with those expectations if not skip.

I'd suggest waiting for the final game because the demo is really terrible. It is more "tech" than actual representation of the final game. Unless by demo you meant Duscae, which is better.

Boke1879

I'd suggest waiting for the final game because the demo is really terrible. It is more "tech" than actual representation of the final game. Unless by demo you meant Duscae, which is better.

I don't even think the demo is terrible. The fight at the end is fun to me and makes me excited to actually play it in the full game and explore all it has to offer. But you're right. It IS a tech demo that's really only there to show off a taste of what the game is like. Day/night cycles, rain, enemies etc.

-In regards to FFVII remake. Looking at the FFXIII saga as a model of release (three full-fledged games). Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG, and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes. They clarify they aren't changing everything but Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima feel since they were involved with the original game that they have the liberty to add / change what they want while still making fans happy. They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

Wow this is great to hear. I feel like this on it's own is threadworthy.

jiggle

That's a nice picture
Is it from the painter that made that Tina FF6 one?

Its a huge focus for the staff for Summons to feel exciting and a major event when they show up, not just some random monster that swoops in. They want a sense of awe with them;

Some one gets it
Suck on that FFXIV dev

DeSolos

Whatever Chapter 0 is, it needs to be good enough to replace the invasion, destruction, and escape from Insomnia to the wide open world which was originally going to be the opening.(basically a modern Midgar)

It needs to be able to stand up to that original opening without you needing to do 3 hours of homework watching a movie/anime to appreciate it.

sappyday

Whatever Chapter 0 is, it needs to be good enough to replace the invasion, destruction, and escape from Insomnia to the wide open world which was originally going to be the opening.(basically a modern Midgar)

It needs to be able to stand up to that original opening without you needing to do 3 hours of homework watching a movie/anime to appreciate it.
I think we'll play as young Regis

Like what I'm hearing so far, for sure. Though don't give a hoot about fishing in any game but hey ho.

Luna stuff is nothing surprising at all (for now) and completely... Ordinary, to me.

Think media black out for this might be fast approaching though. Current story details are fairly obvious and known but the risk for deeper stuff is too great.

Simo

Nice! Let's see if they're implemented like FF12 or better.

I didn't play the Duscae demo but watched the walkthrough and the hunt for the Behemoth was such a fantastic angle and approach towards a old FF monster that if all the other "Monster Hunts" are like that? Holy shit they'll be incredible.

For the record in the Duscae demo players had to
track it down from it's footprints or claw marks ripped through rocks to finding it's feeding grounds and eventually it's lair.
For the purpose of the demo you had to get the Ramuh summon to defeat it but the set up and final reveal was great! I loved that approach and I guess thats where the "National Geographic" approach comes in to play that the article talks about.

I ended up buying the digital GI issue and it really was a great article and read.

Why people would even want it like witcher 3 or whatever is beyond me. This is a JRPG

As a big fan of W3 and classic jRPGs, Witcher 3 is the most jRPG of AAA wRPGs. Character and plot focused, good pacing (if you ignore map question marks), evocative music with hummable hooks, Geralt's sexy hair and flashy fighting. I was cheered when I read the XV team were big admirers of W3 and its writing.

raven777

Pretty sure the last time they said each part was the size of a full game, a lot of people were wondering how long they meant by a "full game." This gives a bit more clarification with the FFXIII comparison.

yea considering games like Setsuna and SO5 are really short compared to FF13 (even if Setsuna is not really full priced)

Also XIII-2 and LR is fairy shorter than average so hopefully they mean the original FFXIII size

I do like the idea of FFVII-esque slight branching dialogue! I'm really excited about their use of summons, as that was my favourite thing from Type-0. They genuinely felt grandiose yet completely horrifying depending on their use in the story, and they were constantly referenced in the world-building. I'm a bit wary about all the side-quests, hopefully they're not too tedious.

In regards to FFVII remake. Looking at the FFXIII saga as a model of release (three full-fledged games). Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG, and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes. They clarify they aren't changing everything but Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima feel since they were involved with the original game that they have the liberty to add / change what they want while still making fans happy. They also state they want FFVII Remake to gave a much shorter development cycle than FFXV.

Yes, and while you all worked on the original, you all also worked on the Compilation too... I'm really excited for 100% more Genesis, and more of Aerith continuing to have the IQ of a drunken labrador. (Let's be honest, drunken labrador's are smarter and more charming.) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Whinging aside, I've really enjoyed what I've seen of the remake thus far, so I'll aim for cautiously optimistic about the changes. I can't hate on Blade Barret.

wmlk

yea considering games like Setsuna and SO5 are really short compared to FF13 (even if Setsuna is not really full priced)

Also XIII-2 and LR is fairy shorter than average so hopefully they mean the original FFXIII size

If they split up Disc 1, Disc 2, and Disc 3, it makes sense. Disc 2 is shorter than Disc 1 and Disc 3 is shorter than Disc 2.

FFXIII is longer than FFXIII-2, which is longer than LR.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, I'm so freaking excited. This is the FF I've been waiting for a long time! YES TABATA. YES.

DeSolos

I didn't play the Duscae demo but watched the walkthrough and the hunt for the Behemoth was such a fantastic angle and approach towards a old FF monster that if all the other "Monster Hunts" are like that? Holy shit they'll be incredible.

For the record in the Duscae demo players had to
track it down from it's footprints or claw marks ripped through rocks to finding it's feeding grounds and eventually it's lair.
For the purpose of the demo you had to get the Ramuh summon to defeat it but the set up and final reveal was great! I loved that approach and I guess thats where the "National Geographic" approach comes in to play that the article talks about.

I ended up buying the digital GI issue and it really was a great article and read.

One thing I will say about that Behemoth quest, which I hope dramatically changes when it comes to other monster hunts is the tracking portion. They literally illuminated the exact coordinates on the map for the location of each clue.

I'd appreciate a "last known whereabouts" bubble where you search for the clues. That's not only more interesting gameplay-wise, but it's completely reasonable that someone putting up the notice for the monster hunt would give you some info on the beast's general stomping grounds.

raven777

If they split up Disc 1, Disc 2, and Disc 3, it makes sense. Disc 2 is shorter than Disc 1 and Disc 3 is shorter than Disc 2.

FFXIII is longer than FFXIII-2, which is longer than LR.

That is exactly what I don't want it to be tbh. I am hoping all 3 games would have similar amount of contents..

Squire

Banned

This games intro absolutely does not need to live up to canceled content.

You're arguing for something that for all we know was one or two tutorial fights and a couple strolls down a hallway linked together with some cutscenes.

Midgar? LOL

You're arguing for something that for all we know was one or two tutorial fights and a couple strolls down a hallway linked together with some cutscenes.

Midgar? LOL

Yeah I agree with you here.

We have no idea if the original idea was actually going to be good! It could have very well been bad. I do agree it needs to be big and bombastic in a way though

Again from Gamespot:

"Why does Ardyn wear a fedora?

My exact question was, what is up with Ardyn's outfit? Tabata said Ardyn's appearance is all tied back to his personality. Think Kefka's clown outfit in Final Fantasy VI. "Ardyn has a really important role within the main story," Tabata explains. "He has his own unique mood and essence. Even within the world of FFXV he's kind of a hard-to-grasp character. But he's not just a little offbeat, he's an interesting and strange character. He is extremely smart and he has an amazing mind. That's why he has an important post within the Nifelheim forces. His attire helps to express the type of character he is."

More proof Ardyn is our villain. Loving the Kefka comparison.

Boke1879

Midgar? LOL

Yea it's probably something that sounded good on paper and in theory, but in practice just wasn't worth it.

Squire

Banned
Yeah I agree with you here.

We have no idea if the original idea was actually going to be good! It could have very well been bad. I do agree it needs to be big and bombastic in a way though

Sure! I mean I personally just hope it's compelling on a narrative level like most other FF intros and I imagine it will be.

But the notion that it needs to compete with ideas that more or less only ever existed on paper is silly.

Yea it's probably something that sounded good on paper and in theory, but in practice just wasn't worth it.

Totally. If we go by what the first FFXV trailer depicted, I can't see it having played out any less linearly than anything in FFXIII. They're trying to get away from that stuff. The intro should communicate that attitude.

Again from Gamespot:

"Why does Ardyn wear a fedora?

My exact question was, what is up with Ardyn's outfit? Tabata said Ardyn's appearance is all tied back to his personality. Think Kefka's clown outfit in Final Fantasy VI. "Ardyn has a really important role within the main story," Tabata explains. "He has his own unique mood and essence. Even within the world of FFXV he's kind of a hard-to-grasp character. But he's not just a little offbeat, he's an interesting and strange character. He is extremely smart and he has an amazing mind. That's why he has an important post within the Nifelheim forces. His attire helps to express the type of character he is."

More proof Ardyn is our villain. Loving the Kefka comparison.

I still think the white hooded guy is our villain. I don't think they would be doing an expose on Ardyn if he was the main villain. I think he is one villain but not THE villain

Sure! I mean I personally just hope it's compelling on a narrative level like most other FF intros and I imagine it will be.

But the notion that it needs to compete with ideas that more or less only ever existed on paper is silly.

Yep. I have no doubts that it will be good. People need to let go of that beginning already

Samimista

I still think the white hooded guy is our villain. I don't think they would be doing an expose on Ardyn if he was the main villain. I think he is one villain but not THE villain

Yep, I was just about to bring up the white hooded guy. He's probably the character I've been most intrigued with since the Versus XIII days.

Boke1879

Do we know much about the white hooded guy? Also something tells me while Ardyn will be a villain for a while. I just have a feeling he'll "turn" good? Idk lol.

Yep. I have no doubts that it will be good. People need to let go of that beginning already
Ardyn definitely feels more like a Reno character - someone who fights against the main party but also seems likeable and may help them out from time to time.

Hoping the hooded guy is like a recurring rival character, kinda like Vergil in DMC. Would love some 1 vs 1 fights against him as Noctis.

Samimista

Do we know much about the white hooded guy? Also something tells me while Ardyn will be a villain for a while. I just have a feeling he'll "turn" good? Idk lol.

I'm afraid not. I expect we'll see him a bit more once E3 and TGS rolls around, though.

Why do you think he's the villain? We've seen him once. Are we even sure he's still in the game? Lot has changed since 2013. Our villains are Iedolas, Aranea, Ardyn and that General in Crystal armor. Ardyn is the Emperor's right hand, he's flamboyant, he has a sense of humor and he's even the head of magitek research. The Kefka/Gestahl parallels are obvious. Tabata even stressed how important he is and that we should keep an eye on him. It's Ardyn.

And considering how they've hyped the villain as one of the best ever, I think they'd absolutely do an expose on him.

aitakute

Just listened to some of the game's OSTs. Man, this game is gonna have one of the best soundtracks ever. Dawn, Summons trailers's music gives me goosebumps

Yep, I was just about to bring up the white hooded guy. He's probably the character I've been most intrigued with since the Versus XIII days.

Yeah and I love how they have kept him under wraps. I hope we just get a name and that is it before the game releases.

Ardyn definitely feels more like a Reno character - someone who fights against the main party but also seems likeable and may help them out from time to time.

Hoping the hooded guy is like a recurring rival character, kinda like Vergil in DMC. Would love some 1 vs 1 fights against him as Noctis.

Well in the Versus XIII trailers we do see them square off so I think it still is in some way since he is in the E3 2013 trailer and we know that most things from there on is in. And they keep doing small teases about him as well.

But Ardyn reminds me of Izaya from Durarara, if you have ever watched it, someone who just likes to kinda stir shit up and play both sides. So Reno can work in this as well but I feel he is more sinister and clever than Reno though hence my Izaya comparison

DeSolos

Midgar? LOL

It was big enough that they sliced it out of the game, and made a movie about it.

They can't simply start the biggest game they've ever made with all the most exciting things happening off screen. And the invasion and destruction of a massive city(the plot of the movie) is a pretty hard concept to top.

Why do you think he's the villain? We've seen him once. Are we even sure he's still in the game? Lot has changed since 2013. Our villains are Iedolas, Aranea, Ardyn and that General in Crystal armor. Ardyn is the Emperor's right hand, he's flamboyant, he has a sense of humor and he's even the head of magitek research. The Kefka/Gestahl parallels are obvious. Tabata even stressed how important he is and that we should keep an eye on him. It's Ardyn.

And considering how they've hyped the villain as one of the best ever, I think they'd absolutely do an expose on him.

Nah I really don't think it is. He seems more like a player. Just look at his lines from the E3 2013 trailer. Also we know that a lot is in from the E3 trailer honestly.

Also a lot of people keep asking about the white hooded guy and they keep dodging them on purpose. I think if he was cut we would know by now.

If they do an expose on him then I hope it is one closer to release and that seems to be the case

I think that's a tall order, hard to start with a bigger bang than all that. But an OG Regis crew chapter 0 would work for me just fine. Establish some of the mythology, how it intersects with royalty, and give us a sense of Noctis' roots also
give us a sense of Regis before he's KOd off screen.

100% with you on not needing movie to understand what's going on.

Top Bottom