• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

I do like the bear character's random call outs. Nutrition!

I think Zed (Tetris robot) is the Nutrition guy. Dr. Bearman yells out "Tenderness!" and other things vaguely relationship-themed. Also, it took forever to figure out Klug's basic attack line. He shouts "Awaken!" so fast you can barely understand it.

Oh, and can someone kinda sum up some of the English alt voices? I saw someone mention Sig's.

Cepheus

My favourite character is the fish guy. I physically can't stop playing this demo over and over again. I can't wait for the full game to come out.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I own this on PS4, but my friend is borrowing my Switch. How does this feel on the Switch in handheld mode? Or with the Joycon sideways? I am a little nervous about playing this without a real d-pad, and I just can't play Tetris or Puyo with an analog stick.

Handheld mode is great IMO. The buttons are fine.

Single JoyCons I dislike. I find them uncomofrtable and don't like playing these type of games with an analog stick.

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm addicted to this demo... next week can't get here soon enough.

The gameplay is perfect on both sides, controls feel incredibly tight and satisfying, and the presentation is top notch even if some of the voice acting is a little iffy. But I kinda like how cheesy it is :p

I know I'm gonna end up sinking hours upon hours into the full game and I can't wait.

Berordn

So I'm trying to figure out what modes in the game actually use the dropsets and I can't seem to dig up anything clear (or I'm just looking in the wrong place). Is versus mode exclusively Tsu rules, or is that just for the demo?

Pastry

Banned
I'm getting better at Puyo and starting to get back into the swing of Tetris. Really enjoying this, glad it'll be $30 digital.

Sciz

I can hold my own against standard AI pretty well, unless Rulue is playing Puyo, in which case my defeat is swift and crushing.

So I'm trying to figure out what modes in the game actually use the dropsets and I can't seem to dig up anything clear (or I'm just looking in the wrong place). Is versus mode exclusively Tsu rules, or is that just for the demo?

They come up in Party and Fusion mode, from what I've seen.

newsguy

Played VS. Tetris with my wife last night. It's literally the only game she'll play. I beat her pretty good. Talking shit to your wife is both insane fun and horribly terrifying all at once.

Played by myself "yea that's Tetris", played with girlfriend when we got back last night .... played it a ton today.

This is such a fun local multiplayer experience on the switch!

ngower

Whatever the CPU does to me where they add a bunch of blocks I have to clear...how the fuck do I do that to them? Cause I find myself often losing for that reason.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Whatever the CPU does to me where they add a bunch of blocks I have to clear...how the fuck do I do that to them? Cause I find myself often losing for that reason.

combo up - in puyo set up chains so when you pop one color, they drop and set off another set of colors to pop

in tetris get that 5 line elimination

try this?
Beth~‏ @Rorru 6m6 minutes ago

Seems to be something with the JoyCons?
Go into multiplayer with two as one controller, then press the Z buttons to separate...
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Beth~‏ @Rorru 5m5 minutes ago

...And immediately press whatever the new cancel button will be.
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

LordKano

I just don't get why I can't win a single match against the AI. Is it just absurdly hard or I'm not getting something ? They're on medium, just like me, but they'll inevitably beat me no matter how careful I am.

Skyzard

Banned
I just don't get why I can't win a single match against the AI. Is it just absurdly hard or I'm not getting something ? They're on medium, just like me, but they'll inevitably beat me no matter how careful I am.

Are you new to Puyo Puyo?

It's not as simple as tetris despite how it might look.

Apparently there's some cheat code to unlock the rest of the modes in the demo?
https://twitter.com/Rorru/status/852982434585030656
Glitch works, no idea why the other modes are even functional but I was able to play Party and Big Bang.

C9aBRiOVoAEMURz.jpg

Instructions, as per the poster:
"Choose multiplayer... Then choose any of the two options, so it brings up the controller screen thing. Make sure Player One's one starts as the scheme with two JCs together... Then click the Zs on one of the pair, and immediately press cancel ...If it works, it'll bring up the "How Many Players" box, cancel again, then it should let you select one of the "locked" options."

Ok so turning a CPU up to spicy makes it more difficult for them and thus easier for me, correct?

Quoting myself for a new page because I still haven't figured this out. I've both beaten and been demolished by CPU on both Spicy and Sweet so I could use some help understanding how the "handicap" functionality works. It didn't feel any easier or harder one way or the other.

Glitch works, no idea why the other modes are even functional but I was able to play Party and Big Bang.

Instructions, as per the poster:
"Choose multiplayer... Then choose any of the two options, so it brings up the controller screen thing. Make sure Player One's one starts as the scheme with two JCs together... Then click the Zs on one of the pair, and immediately press cancel ...If it works, it'll bring up the "How Many Players" box, cancel again, then it should let you select one of the "locked" options."

Only works with four Joy-Cons, according to that source (I can't get it to work with two). Not surprised that the other game modes are built in given the file size of the demo (685 MB), which is way out of scale to the content on offer and is actually a heftier chunk of data than the Splatoon 2 Testfire (or indeed, any of the indie titles I've downloaded onto my Switch so far).

Sciz

Quoting myself for a new page because I still haven't figured this out. I've both beaten and been demolished by CPU on both Spicy and Sweet so I could use some help understanding how the "handicap" functionality works. It didn't feel any easier or harder one way or the other.

Sweet lowers the drop speed (automatic and soft) in both games and lowers the number of colors you have to deal with in Puyo to three. Spicy raises drop speed and bumps the color count to five.

Guys, don't forget there's a full tutorial on Puyo and Tetris in the demo (and they're very good too).

I thought it was just me, but it seems the english demo is much more difficult then the japanese demo. It could just be in my head though.
Hmm? To me it feels like they toned it down quite a bit. I only loose in the English demo when I'm messing around and practicing new strategies. In the JP one the CPU does a much better job at harassing me.

Top Bottom